Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lola

Isolagen (N-Lite and Subcision) - UK treatments

345 posts in this topic

Well I got my doctors referral letter to send on to Dr Chu today - Lola - you around?

The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter.

EDIT: Maya is a former moderator but unfortunately no longer posts here.

Maya, sorry for the late reply. I've been very busy and I tend to look at the boards during the weekends.

Glad to hear you spoke with Dr Chu. He's a nice guy and a good doctor and I wish you every success with him. Nothing is guaranteed to work because we are all different and our bodies react differently. However, I think you have the best chance in the UK with Dr Chu.

I don't think continuing with the glycolic peels will affect the subcision/n-lite. However, perhaps you should stop a couple of weeks before, just in case your skin is sensitive and reacts with the n-lite. Why don't you phone Dr Chu or email him to check?

I took bromelain and arnica pills two weeks before and two weeks after subcision. (Bought both at Boots). I didn't notice a significant difference although other people say that it helps minimize bruising/swelling. I think you should stop taking vitamin E and aspirin type medications as this can make bruising worse. (I tend to bruise really easily and some bruises from subcision have lasted 10 days). To be safe, you might want to take 5 days off work.

I'm afraid he isn't single. If he was, he would make a lovely boyfriend! He's in good shape and looks good too! He must be over 50 but looks like he's in his 30's.

Maya, forgot to say that I have been using retin-A cream every other night for the last 18 months and didn't stop before any treatment.

Good luck again! I can't wait to hear your news!

Thanks Lola - will keep this thread updated with news. Good luck to you too!

Quick update - on the voy forum, a poster has been speaking with Dr Chu's office about the success of Isolagen to date with acne scars.. apparently, it's working really well!!!

Just opened my post - I have received an appointment through to see Dr Chu on the 18th of June!!! :D:D:D

I am wondering if he will perform subcision and N-lite when I get to see him... and take a piece of skin to get the Isolagen prepared...or if it's just a consultation before treatment.

Just to get there means I have to organise childcare for the day and also take the day off. Will I need to take the rest of the week off I wonder. Must phone them next week to see what will happen.

VERY EXCITED!!!!!

By the way, this is an NHS appointment - and I only sent him my docs GP referral letter along with a covering letter 2 weeks ago. I also emailed him a few times begging him to see me quickly and he did reply to my email saying that he would get his secretary to get it sorted out as quickly as possible.

NHS? so you wont have to pay for the treatment? or just the appointment?

--CS

My appointment with Dr Chu has been re-arranged to the 25th of June - he is going to give me N-Lite and Subcision and will discuss with me if he thinks I need the Isolagen as well.

Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Lola!! What's your update on getting the Isolagen injections? I wonder how long it takes to see some difference?

Funny this thread was updated today......I was thinking about Lola's first injections-- I believe mid-june if i'm not mistaken =D> Maya, i wonder how soon too? :-k

I would also like to add that Isolagen (ILE) is a publicly traded company.

Recently the volume has picked up. If it gets approval in the U.S, I imagine that would have a huge impact on the stock...I mean, if the FDA approved Botox, then why wouldn't they approve this (your own cells).

I know someone mentioned a candidate from another board who might of had an injection, Anyone familiar with this? It appears that Lola will be the first on this board to have Isolagen done.

Tick tock!

M

Maya & Max, I should hear at the end of next week how my cells are doing and whether we can schedule in the injections. I'll post as soon as I get them done!

Heidi on the Voy board is scheduled to have them done around the same time. She hasn't posted for a while and if I see anything, I'll let you all know

LOLA, thanks so much i'm so excited for you!!!! [-o< ..this has to be the cure for everyone here and you keeping us posted means alot to me...

Thanks again,

MAX

i have searced from the web about isolagen. the news so optimistic. if it works acne scars will be clear. good luck to you :D

I don't mean to be bash everyones hopes, but I would like to offer a voice of reason to the isolagen treatment.

Before that though, I wish you the best of luck Lola. I hope you have 100% success.

I have not heard any first hand experiences regarding isolagen. I have not seen any first hand pictures, or even 2nd hand pictures that show truly convincing good results (the isolagen website pictures are terrible).

I have done in depth research on isolagen and other fillers. I have been in contact with Dr. Chu's office and I have talked to some of the other top physicians in the world regarding fillers. I have also read several medical papers/presentations directed towards physicians in regards to treatment of acne scars with fillers including isolagen.

The results of the treatment of scars with isolagen will not be better than the treatment of scars with collagen. You are simply injecting collagen producing fibroblasts into the dermis. In fact, in one presentation given to doctors, it distincltly said that the results were inferior to that of collagen. This is easy to imagine since collagen injections can be targeted to a specific area without a large amount of migration.

The fibroblast migration from the sight of injection with isolagen is much higher. In fact, doctors are told to over correct by 300%. I can only assume that with this high level of migration, the fibroblasts are not producing collagen in any one specific area. Because of this, I see the long term applications of isolagen gravitating towards fighting the aging process rather than correcting acne scars (with aging comes a depletion of both the number of fibroblasts in the skin as well as their potency to produce new collagen).

Dr. Chu has stated that isolagen has increased the recommended number of injections for the treatment of acne scars from three to five. This makes me think that it has not been as effective for this application as it has been for others. Furthermore, the cells experience what is called "contact inhibtion". This is a natural occurence where cells will stop production (fibroblasts) when the density level is congruent. The tension keeping the scar down must be less than the tension exerted by natural skin. In other words, no matter how much of the isolagen is injected under "normal" skin, it will not leave a bump. This will also limit to some degree the potency of the treatment on different types of scars.

All of these factors have made me skeptical that isolagen is the miracle cure for our situation. However, I think it is the beginning to truly turning the tables on aging skin. And although I do not believe that isolagen is the ideal injectable for acne scars, I believe that injectables in general are the ideal treatment for rolling scars.

I had initially thought that I would pan out the dough for islolagen, but now I am leaning towards articoll for my rolling scars.

Once again, I only want to offer a voice of reason, I have seen everyone on this board latch onto the newest treatment only to have their hopes and money go down the drain.

Mark

It may not be a miracle cure but I still think that in conjunction with n-lite and subcision and in the hands of Dr. Chu is the best treatment avalible at the moment, much better than any ablative lasers in terms of effectivness and mainly side effects.

thanks for your input though, you certainly have done your homework!

--CS

I appreciate the input too Mark - I am hoping that it will all work! It's a lot of money, it's taken several months of serious saving... so fingers crossed.

Mark, thank you for your detailed information. You have certainly done a lot of research and I am sure everyone is pleased that you are sharing this with us.

I have tried several different treatments (CO2, subcision, non-ablative, etc) and fillers are a sort of last resort. I'm not expecting my scars to disappear and if I manage to get a 50% improvement with isolagen, I'll be happy. (Well, there's no turning back for me since I've paid the full amount!) Also, since I'm 45, any contribution isolagen makes to my aging features will be greatly appreciated!

I had considered artecoll but I didn't like the idea of a foreign substance in my face. I had also came across a few cases where something went wrong, in one case a doctor had to practically dig these plastic beads out of the persons face. Also, I was concerned about the long term effect e.g. what happens if I decide to have non-ablative laser or similar treatment in the future? Will the plastic beads melt and merge together? Some people have reported great results from artecoll but I guess I'm just a little nervous because it is also a relatively new treatment. If isolagen doesn't work, I'll certainly reconsider other fillers, maybe fat transfer or artecoll.

I'm a bit concerned to hear about the five injections instead of three. I am supposed to have my first injections quite soon and expect to hear from Dr Chu's office any day. I'll keep you all updated.

I'm wondering if Dr Chu will now perform 5 sets of injections?

Maya,

Here is the exerpt from the e-mail I received directly from Dr. Chu:

"Isolagen have now changed their advice about acne scarring and recommending 5 lots of injections. I would normally complete the first 3 then review after 2 months and see if further injections were needed".

Hope that helps,

Mark

Mark - THANK YOU!! At least Dr Chu is going to take it all the way.