Photo

eating salmon

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 LadyLane

LadyLane

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2005 - 03:41 PM

i heard that eating salmon gives you a healthy complexoin and
also makes your skin glow...
does it also help with acne?
any information would be great
thanks!!!
Once people see you one way
your never going to change their minds...
I am who I am
and I have to live with that...

#2 olive415

olive415

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2005 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE(LadyLane @ Mar 4 2005, 04:41 PM)
i heard that eating salmon gives you a healthy complexoin and
also makes your skin glow...
does it also help with acne?
any information would be great
thanks!!!

View Post

Dr. Perricone claims it does in his book, but you have to eat a crazy amount. Not only would it be expensive (he says to eat only the wild alskan kind) but you'd have to worry about toxins in the fish. If you are trying to concieve, pregnant, or breastfeeding you're supposed to limit your fish intake so you couldn't eat the amount he reccommend safely

#3 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2005 - 05:19 PM

It's the omega 3 fatty acids. They are readily digestible in fish, unlike in plants where some may not be able to convert them. Taking fish oil is economical and effective. For about $3 a month you can get all the omega 3 you need this way. Take the fish oil in liquid form not in the liquid gel caps.

I get mine from bodybuilding.com It's health From the Sun ultra omega 3(Lemon Lime flavour). The shipping is extremely cheap to Canada so I imagine it's even better in the states. I got about 4 months worth including shipping for $14.

#4 lowfreq

lowfreq

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2005 - 09:32 AM

you don't need to eat alot of salmon to see the benefits. i eat a 7ounce salmon steak for dinner with vegetables and then wait for 20 minutes -- you will notice your skin changing to a very nice texture

#5 hazelnut66

hazelnut66

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2005 - 07:10 PM

ok this is all just crazy, if salmon and fish oil have drastically cured you well i'm just plain jealous, i personally haven't had results with these such things

#6 knglerxt

knglerxt

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2005 - 10:55 PM

I love salmon. I eat it at least 2 times a week.

#7 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 06 March 2005 - 04:54 AM

for those worried about the cost of alaskan salmon you might consider buying bulk from an online source. ive been checking in to this lately and i found a couple sources that sell alaskan for around $7.00/lb. even with shipping it works out to less than 10 bucks a pound. at the supermarket the alaskan can range from $14 to $17/lb.

alaskan salmon is supposed to be relatively low in pollutants (or so i read) compared to other wild salmon, and especially compared to farmed salmon. and did you know that farmed salmon would actually be grey if it werent for the pink dye in their feed?

its important not to over-cook salmon and other meats. low temperatures will limit the production of heterocyclic amines and other carcinogens. heterocyclic amines arise when amino acids and creatine in the meat combine at high temperatures. also the charred surface of burnt meat is full of carcinogens. there are studies linking regular consumption of burnt or well-done meat with higher rates of cancer.

#8 the.ronin

the.ronin

image>mode>cmyk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2005 - 02:06 PM

I know Salmon is awesome, but I believe Tuna works as well, or the white albacore types at least.

I eat Tuna at least once a day, usually 2

#9 19yochickfightingacne4toolong

19yochickfightingacne4toolong

Sexiest Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2005 - 02:09 PM

I have heard that salmon is great for skin... but I believe it cotains iodine, which is a no no for ppl with acne.
"don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns"

#10 Yesac

Yesac

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2005 - 09:07 PM

Tuna and Salmon contain high levels of mercury, which is not good for you at all. So i wouldn't be eating a lot of it. just a heads up.
One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.

#11 olive415

olive415

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2005 - 07:59 AM

Albacore tuna is actually the more toxic kind of tuna. Here is a link to the FDA website about fish and mercury.

http://www.cfsan.fda...ms/admehg3.html

#12 Funk

Funk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2005 - 02:51 PM

Yes I heard it is good to minimize your intake of fish due to the Mercury found in fish mainly albacore tuna.

Is Salmon from the can ok?

Like chicken of the sea brand of salmon?

does it have to be pink salmon?

#13 Darklord

Darklord

Chances are, i hate you

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2005 - 03:16 PM

Salmon has the lowest mercury level of all fish.

Tom
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#14 ritzvin

ritzvin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2005 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE(Funk @ Mar 9 2005, 03:51 PM)
Yes I heard it is good to minimize your intake of fish due to the Mercury found in fish mainly albacore tuna.

Is Salmon from the can ok?

Like chicken of the sea brand of salmon?

does it have to be pink salmon?

View Post

honestly, I'd be scared to touch the salmon in a can with a 10 ft pole (scared as in blech, not scared as in worried for my health). Canned meat/fish tends to be VERY disgusting. (The good parts of the fish are being sold for $7-10/lb at the deli, they generally can what's left over and only a little good meat/fish..ie what people won't normally buy if they can look at it first and/or can afford better). I haven't compared brands of canned salmon though (I think I've only seen one brand of canned salmon-don't remember what it was, several brands of canned chicken and tuna).

The canned stuff is definately going to be farmed salmon. In most grocery stores, even the stuff at the deli will normally be farmed salmon (at least my local grocery store explicitly states "farmed salmon" under it, which I appreciate).
99.5% Clear (skin gets 'congested' PMS week, but no actual breakouts)
---------------------------
Fragrance-Free Baby Wipes + a few drops Rimmel Makeup Remover solution
3/4 AHA Toner* & 1/4 Glycerin (cotton pad) -- good toner, moisturizer, and makeup base (use less glycerin if not under makeup)
Occasional Treatments (2-3x/week): Exfoliating bp wash* in shower, 2.5% bp lotion* at night
CoverGirl TruBlend Powder Foundation
* = Klear Action Kit (Pro-Activ knockoff)
Gluten-free diet (for non-acne reasons, but it seems to have cleared my acne)

#15 Funk

Funk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 09 March 2005 - 03:26 PM

Thanks Ritzvin.

Im going to buy some salmon today from the deli at safeway today.

#16 twocanyan

twocanyan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2005 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(ritzvin @ Mar 9 2005, 05:21 PM)
Canned meat/fish tends to be VERY disgusting.

View Post

mmm... SPAM smile.gif

#17 Melchior

Melchior

I'm naoya_socol's #1 fan!!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2005 - 02:34 AM

I thought mercury levels were so low in these fish that the only people affected would be a pregnant women's baby, and even then in HUGE quantities.... I wish I found that link...

Anyways, salmon and tuna (albacore) are great, I eat them all the time.

#18 Supremeone

Supremeone

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2005 - 04:48 PM

So, can you just take the Omega 3 fish oil or do you have to buy Salmon?

#19 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 March 2005 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE(Supremeone @ Mar 14 2005, 05:48 PM)
So, can you just take the Omega 3 fish oil or do you have to buy Salmon?

View Post

Know what else is good and it is cheap and you don't have to worry about toxins since they are small - sardines. Sardines in either hot sauce or mustard, don't do the ones canned in oil. At WalMart they are .47 cents a can! My son eats those now and Omega 3 Eggs. In addition, he has cut out all sugars, wheats, grains (occasional brown rice and quinoa) and anything processed. He lives on ground turkey breasts, turkey breast steaks, other lean meats, sardines, mahi mahi, kippers, eggs, shrimp, oysters, squid, all the vegetables he wants, all the fruit he wants. He went from cystic acne to almost totally clear in a few weeks. In fact, it was one month this Sunday. I highly recommend trying this and seeing if you are one of the ones who sensitive to the insulin reaction that processed refined foods have. That in turn makes for more surges in hormones. He looks so much better I can't believe it. Try it and see. He was cursed for sooooo long and went through every treatment from antibiotics, to 3 laser/levulan treatments, creams, etc.........
"Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place."

Mark Twain

#20 Guest_Stu :-)_*

Guest_Stu :-)_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 15 March 2005 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE(Minnym0use @ Mar 15 2005, 10:20 AM)
Know what else is good and it is cheap and you don't have to worry about toxins since they are small - sardines.  Sardines in either hot sauce or mustard, don't do the ones canned in oil.  At WalMart they are .47 cents a can!  My son eats those now and Omega 3 Eggs.  In addition, he has cut out all sugars, wheats, grains (occasional brown rice and quinoa) and anything processed.  He lives on ground turkey breasts, turkey breast steaks,  other lean meats, sardines, mahi mahi, kippers, eggs, shrimp, oysters, squid, all the vegetables he wants, all the fruit he wants.  He went from cystic acne to almost totally clear in a few weeks.  In fact, it was one month this Sunday.  I highly recommend trying this and seeing if you are one of the ones who sensitive to the insulin reaction that processed refined foods have.  That in turn makes for more surges in hormones.  He looks so much better I can't believe it.  Try it and see.  He was cursed for sooooo long and went through every treatment from antibiotics, to 3 laser/levulan treatments, creams, etc.........

View Post

Your totally right, and it does work!