Photo

Milk Thistle

milk thistle milk

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#21 geezer

geezer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2005 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE(Guppylips @ Mar 4 2005, 04:04 PM)
geezer,

Do you happen to know if FINGERPRINTED has anything to do with it's quality?  Should I go for the STANDARDIZED stuff, if i find it??
P.S.  Your english is better than mine and I'm a native speaker!!

View Post

Hmm...are you sure the fingerprinted is not standardized. I'm pretty sure the is not a big difference between fingerprinted and normal version. Both probably contain the same amount of silymarin.

#22 Guest_OnlyJoe_*

Guest_OnlyJoe_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 04 March 2005 - 10:58 AM

how much is everyone getting there milk thistle for? i went to the shop todau and it was so expensive i left it.

#23 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE(OnlyJoe @ Mar 4 2005, 09:58 AM)
how much is everyone getting there milk thistle for? i went to the shop todau and it was so expensive i left it.

View Post

Hmm, I get the Wild Oats store brand and I think it's like 10.99 for 100 capsules, not too bad.

#24 wildrose

wildrose

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE(Guppylips @ Mar 4 2005, 11:29 AM)
Wildrose,

How much of each were you using?  I went to the GNC website and saw that it suggested using 1 -2 grams, 2-3 times daily.  For me, That would be about 6 pills a day (and i'm only currently taking 2!).

I also happened to be on the GNC website and saw that Zinc got a 3 star rating for Acne...   It does have clinically proven healing properties...  Has anyone tried Zinc?  I guess you must supplement it with copper.  Is there a thread anywhere here about it?  I guess I'll stop being lazy and go look myself wink.gif

View Post

The company that makes the Milk Thistle I used is Jamieson and I took 2 capsules a day. Each one is 4500 mg and contains 80% active silymarin.

#25 geezer

geezer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:25 AM

There really isn't the right amount to take that I know of. The problem with Milk Thistle and almost all herbs is that there's not enough research made to know the right amounts. The recommended amounts vary a lot. I take only one 550 mg capsule per day but I do take other herbs every day that have similar effects.

#26 arya

arya

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2005 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE(S214 @ Mar 1 2005, 01:06 AM)
yup it controlled breakouts for a week - i was 100% pimple-free.

Burdock root's available at any herbal store...i got mine for $11.  i'm going shopping tomorrow - for herbal supplements. i still have red clover unopened. going to get dandelion root, etc. but why am i telling you this? lol.gif

View Post

hahah, no worries! I got like that about two weeks ago, I was all excited to go supplements shopping!! lol.gif So, you say that Milk Thistle didn't work for you? boo....that sucks. I think I may go and get some Burdock Root too... eusa_think.gif btw, how is your SA peel going? I've been peeling in places I don't even have scars!! lol!! and where I DO have scars, nothing's happening!!! evil.gif

To the poster who asked about Zinc, I am taking that along with Milk Thistle....I don't know if it's helping. I'm taking so much crap, even if one of them does help, I won't know which one it is!! haha. But hey, if it gets rid of my messed up skin, eusa_dance.gif.

OnlyJoe, yeah, the milk thistle I bought was bloody expensive!!! 35 Canadian dollars for one bottle...... shock.gif

#27 adultAcne

adultAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2005 - 06:52 PM

Hey people. I started the milk thistle a few days ago, but after reading about it and realizing that it's for liver health, I figured I'd just take a liver "tonic" which is a bunch of herbs that cleanse and repair the liver and all work in different ways to cleanse and repair.

So, I got this:

http://vitaminlady.c...etracleanse.asp

for my initial cleanse. After I'm done with it, I'll take a week off and then do some of this:

http://www.michaelsh...ducts.asp?id=26 (except, I got a newer version which has a higher dosage of the herbs and lists their dosages on the label)

They've both got milk thistle in them, but also the other popular liver cleansing herbs burdock and dandelion root, and yellow dock.

The first one seems to be more of a stronger cleanse formula and the second seems like a milder maintenance formula.

I'll let yall know how it goes.

BTW, I've got stubborn deep cystic acne which has always been perfectly under control with B5, but now that I'm working out a lot and eating a lot (healthy home-cooked food) and taking herbs to up my male hormones (to gain muscle), I seem to not be able to get my cystic acne under control like I used to. I was reading how the liver is supposed to removed old used hormones and so I'm thinking that that's the problem right now... that is, it's not removing the excess testosterone.
There is nothing wrong with you.
You do not need improving.
To say that you need improving
is to say that God needs improving. ~ Osho

#28 damn

damn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2005 - 06:22 AM

Hey all,
Just to update my current status, its been 2 weeks and 3 days now since i started using milk thistle (by the way i bought the herron brand second time round for anyone that wants to know) and since starting i havn't had any cys acne which is great news but i've had quite a few little tiny zits nothing serious though they all turned into whiteheads soon enough and atm i have 3 tiny zits. So over all for my acne its done very well.

#29 manolis_04

manolis_04

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2005 - 10:13 AM

Hey damn, i was thinkin bout using milk thistle... wot brand are you using? and what other supplement u taking with it (vitamins, burdock..etc)? if possible can you right down your regime?

#30 damn

damn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2005 - 08:54 PM

sure thing,

Morning:
Wash face with dove soap bar for sensitive skin
Apply moisturizor with sunscreen on any red marks

Night:
Wash with dove soap

Before meals i take 1 tablet of milk thistle 3 times a day
Also before i go to bed i drink a cup of Dandelion Herbal Tea. The main purpose of my regimen is just to help my liver basically.

Their are 2 brands i've used so far 1. Blackmores, and 2. Herron (current). I don't know if these brands are found in you country as i live in Australia so here are the links anyway.

http://www.thexton.c...

&

http://www.blackmore...ail.asp?prod=69

#31 manolis_04

manolis_04

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2005 - 04:12 AM

Hay thats the same basis im trying to work my regime around 'helping my liver' basically i try to supply my body with plenty of antioxidants so that the liver is'nt working as hard and the toxins in my body are getting nutrelized. Basically my regime is working but i want to take it to a another level and introduce milk thistle to my regime. But when taking milk thistle do you still experience bad breakouts? And sorry to be a pain but are you stil eating fruit on your regime and/or taking vitamin supplements like A,C,E and selenium?

#32 damn

damn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2005 - 05:52 AM

Im eating basically everything wether its fruit, sweets so im not on any diet and i don't get any bad breakouts sometimes i might get a little zit one day maybe another the next or day after though i thinks thats because of my oil production i really do get very oily by the end of the day.

#33 manolis_04

manolis_04

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2005 - 09:56 AM

So basically u just eat whatever u want but before u eat ur meals u take a capsule of MT. How severe is/or was your acne?

#34 Exodus78

Exodus78

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2005 - 09:27 AM

Aloe Vera capsules work great too, anti-microbial, and anti-inflammitory.
"We're All Afraid Of The Dark Inside Ourselves"