Photo

Milk Thistle

milk thistle milk

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 damn

damn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2005 - 05:59 AM

Curious to know wether this product has had any positive effects for anyone??
If so how long did it take for you to stop breaking out and how long till you were completely clear?

#2 damn

damn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2005 - 05:54 AM

Well ill post my current status then. Its been a week now since i started taking milk thistle and my skin does look very good, really reduces any inflammation. As for helping to cure acne..well honestly atm i have like 1-2 active zits but i havn't had any cyc acne since i started it but got a few zits/whiteheads at the begining.

#3 Red_Butterfly

Red_Butterfly

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2005 - 06:15 AM

how many mgs are you on?

the instruction on the GNC bottle says to take 1-3 pills a day, but that's just 600 mg. Other people who were successful with it take as much as 2000-4000 mg, so i increased my dose to 6 pills a day or 1200 mgs.

This is my day 2 on Milk Thistle - I'm hoping it will work on me like Burdock Root did. I can't wait for the 2 weeks to be done so i can go back on Burdock Root.
"Do you know that place between asleep and awake? That place where you remember dreaming? That's where I'll always wait for you...that's where I'll always love you."

#4 damn

damn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2005 - 10:03 PM

Wow so every pill is 200mg....the one i bought has 7000mg in each pill and im suppose to take it 3 times a day. Do the maths, thats 21000mg a day eusa_eh.gif . SO have you found burdock root to be more effective then Milk Thistle? or too early to call

#5 geezer

geezer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2005 - 08:34 AM

Hi there!

I just registred and I'm new to the board. I have been using Milk Thistle and Burdock for some time. I just wanted to say that I think there is a quite big difference in the effectiveness of herb brands. In the case of Milk Thistle the key thing is how much silymarin it contains. Silymarin is considered to be the effective ingredient in milk thistle. What I have gathered by studying different brands is that usually the ones that contain a high amount of milk thistle, like 7000mg, contain actually very little silymarin (for instance 1%). The best milk thistle is standardized to contain 80% silymarin. So, if a 7000mg capsule contains 1% it is equivalent for 70mg of silymarin. If a 200mg capsule contains 80% silymarin it is equivalent for 160mg of silymarin. The result is that one 200mg capsule is actually more than two times effective than one 7000mg capsule!!! Check your bottles.

S214, I use milk thistle that is standardized to contain 80% silymarin. It's 550mg capsule and it says to take only 1 per day. I don't know about the GNC brand but if it contains something like 80% silymarin I don't think there is need for you to take more than 3 per day. Your three capsules (600mg) would be then a bit more than one of mine (550mg).

Sorry for my english. It's not my native language redface.gif .

#6 arya

arya

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2005 - 12:31 PM

Hey! that's good to know! I just checked my bottle and it's 80%!! eusa_dance.gif I'm taking 3 capsules per day...is that fine?
p.s: your english is perfect!

#7 geezer

geezer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2005 - 03:32 PM

arya,

Three capsules should be okay if that's what it says in the bottle. You didn't mention how much your capsules are per capsule but I guess somewhere between 100-300 mg if the recommandation is to take 3 times daily? However, if it is 80% silymarin it is most likely to be the 'good stuff'.

#8 Red_Butterfly

Red_Butterfly

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2005 - 08:59 PM

i have the GNC brand - 160 mg or 80% of silymarin in every 200 mg capsule. yikes - should go back on 3 capsules a day.

Honestly, I'm breaking out (I've been eating lots of sweets)since I've gone off to replace BR with Milk Thistle. So now I'm taking BR again whenever I know I'm gonna eat chocolates.

I went off BR because i've been told that all herbal supplements lose their effect if taken for a while.

"Do you know that place between asleep and awake? That place where you remember dreaming? That's where I'll always wait for you...that's where I'll always love you."

#9 arya

arya

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2005 - 11:55 PM

hi there,
it's 250 grams per capsule. So good, I guess 3 is enough then? Nice! Thanks for your response! Oh and S214, is the BR good? Where do you get it from?

Arya

#10 geezer

geezer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2005 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE(S214 @ Mar 1 2005, 02:59 AM)

I went off BR because i've been told that all herbal supplements lose their effect if taken for a while.

View Post

I have heard the same thing. I guess the best thing to do is use them in cycles, like every other week MT and every other week BR. Or use both but every once in a while drop the other one for a week or so.

#11 Red_Butterfly

Red_Butterfly

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2005 - 03:06 AM

QUOTE(arya @ Mar 1 2005, 12:55 AM)
hi there,
it's 250 grams per capsule. So good, I guess 3 is enough then? Nice! Thanks for your response! Oh and S214, is the BR good? Where do you get it from?

Arya

View Post

yup it controlled breakouts for a week - i was 100% pimple-free.

Burdock root's available at any herbal store...i got mine for $11. i'm going shopping tomorrow - for herbal supplements. i still have red clover unopened. going to get dandelion root, etc. but why am i telling you this? lol.gif

#12 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2005 - 09:47 AM

What brand of Burdock Root are you all using?

#13 damn

damn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 March 2005 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE(geezer @ Feb 28 2005, 06:34 AM)
Hi there!

I just registred and I'm new to the board.  I have been using Milk Thistle and Burdock for some time. I just wanted to say that I think there is a quite big difference in the effectiveness of herb brands. In the case of Milk Thistle the key thing is how much silymarin it contains. Silymarin is considered to be the effective ingredient in milk thistle. What I have gathered by studying different brands is that usually the ones that contain a high amount of milk thistle, like 7000mg, contain actually very little silymarin (for instance 1%). The best milk thistle is standardized to contain 80% silymarin. So, if a 7000mg capsule contains 1% it is equivalent for 70mg of silymarin. If a 200mg capsule contains 80% silymarin it is equivalent for 160mg of silymarin. The result is that one 200mg capsule is actually more than two times effective than one 7000mg capsule!!! Check your bottles.

S214, I use milk thistle that is standardized to contain 80% silymarin. It's 550mg capsule and it says to take only 1 per day. I don't know about the GNC brand but if it contains something like 80% silymarin I don't think there is need for you to take more than 3 per day. Your three capsules (600mg) would be then a bit more than one of mine (550mg).

Sorry for my english. It's not my native language  redface.gif .

View Post

Hey thanks alot for your advice. From what i've researched Silymarin is short for Silybum Marianum ??, the brand im using is Blackmores and going by the information on the bottle, its says Silybum Marianum (Milk Thistle) extract equiv. to dry fruit 7000mg (7g).
If anyone is curious heres the link
http://www.blackmore...ail.asp?prod=69

#14 damn

damn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2005 - 02:57 AM

Sorry i misunderstood, Silybum Mirianum is the technical term for "Milk Thistle". However i came across this standardised to contain flavanolignans 84 mg as part of an active ingrediant and from what i've read, flavanolignans is actually Silymarin. Though i could be wrong..Can i please get some opinion for you guys on which brand is better?
Heres the links:

http://www.thexton.c...

&

http://www.blackmore...ail.asp?prod=69

Thanks

#15 geezer

geezer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2005 - 03:35 AM

damn

You got it right, silybum marianum is the same as milk thistle and silymarin consists of flavanolignans. So, the brand you are using has 84 mg silymarin per capsule and if you take three per day it's about 250mg which is a fairly good daily amount. Besides, your capsules have high amount of dry fruit which should be good too.

There is no big difference between the two brands that you linked, the Herron brand just seems to be cheaper and has over two times more capsules so I would go with that.

#16 Red_Butterfly

Red_Butterfly

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2005 - 06:53 AM

aack I stopped Milk thistle because I kept on breaking out. Since going back on Burdock Root - no new breakouts! *knock on wood*

#17 Guppylips

Guppylips

Sensitive Skin Sufferer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2005 - 10:04 AM

aack I stopped Milk thistle because I kept on breaking out. Since going back on Burdock Root - no new breakouts! *knock on wood*

S214,

What brand are you on for Burdock Root. I've been using for two weeks now and I haven't really noticed a difference. I'm taking the FINGERPRINTED kind from GNC with 500 mg in each pill. I pop two pills a day to total 1000 mg - should I up my dosage??

geezer,

Do you happen to know if FINGERPRINTED has anything to do with it's quality? Should I go for the STANDARDIZED stuff, if i find it??
P.S. Your english is better than mine and I'm a native speaker!!

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh." --George Bernard Shaw

#18 geezer

geezer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2005 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE(S214 @ Mar 4 2005, 12:53 PM)

View Post

Milk Thistle and Burdock Root are both liver/blood purifying herbs. The reason Burdock seems to work better for you could be because of the liver supporting herbs BR is known to promote hormonal health. Do you have an idea if your acne is more hormonal or liver (congested or toxified) related? Actually, even if your acne is hormonal it also comes to your liver function if you have acne or not. I mean, if your liver can clear the excess hormones you won't suffer from hormonal imbalance. Liver is supposed to balance your hormones. All people have to deal with hormones some just have a weaker liver and therefore acne can be a cause. Best natural way to treat this is with a healthy diet.

I'm a bit skeptical about the lose of effectiveness of herbs. All I have found is some talk and rumours. Haven't found real scientific evidences at all. Maybe someone else has a better idea of this?

#19 wildrose

wildrose

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2005 - 10:23 AM

I tried both Milk Thistle and Burdock Root. Milk Thistle worked well for 2 weeks and then its effect seemed to wear off so I tried Burdock root, but it also lost its effect after about a week. neutral.gif

#20 Guppylips

Guppylips

Sensitive Skin Sufferer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2005 - 10:29 AM

Wildrose,

How much of each were you using? I went to the GNC website and saw that it suggested using 1 -2 grams, 2-3 times daily. For me, That would be about 6 pills a day (and i'm only currently taking 2!).

I also happened to be on the GNC website and saw that Zinc got a 3 star rating for Acne... It does have clinically proven healing properties... Has anyone tried Zinc? I guess you must supplement it with copper. Is there a thread anywhere here about it? I guess I'll stop being lazy and go look myself wink.gif
"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh." --George Bernard Shaw