how does wheat affect acne.

3 replies to this topic

#1 manolis_04

manolis_04

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2005 - 12:01 PM

okay, so far i understand how milk and dairy can affect acne because of the bat fats and added hormones...dome people find it hard to digest dairy....but i cant realise how wheat affects acne... can somebody on the forum please tell me what affect ingesting wheat has on the body. thanx

#2 Snipe12

Snipe12

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2005 - 04:58 PM

Hi.
Wheat doesn't effect acne for most people. In fact the people who are effected are few and far between.

For some people wheat (more specifically gluten) effects their acne because they are allergic to it. The acne tends to be the itchy and/or big cystic type in a lot of cases. In some cases it is a very serious allergy where it actually damages your body in a big way. These people (Celiacs) have to avoid gluten permanently otherwise they will cause themselves damage.

So basically what I am saying is wheat doesn't effect acne for 99% of people out there. Many people who say they are allergic to wheat/gluten are not, they just eat something like say bread and it causes a breakout and they immediately make the gluten connection when it can be a million other things such as a thyroid problem.

The likelihood of you being allergic to wheat is slim but the only way to know is to have a medical test.

A lot of people get benefits acne wise cutting out milk because they are lactose intolerant. There's a surprisingly high proportion of the population allergic to lactose especially certain races according to some reports I have read.

#3 Angelis

Angelis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 26 February 2005 - 07:32 AM

Wheat doesn't do anything. I eat wheat bread/wheat products like 5 times a day. I stopped once (Not for acne reasons, for weight loss reasons, I gained like 5 pounds from eating too much carbs on vacation tongue.gif) and my acne wasn't any better.

Milk, however, I believe does something to your skin, and it's not something good. Hormones? I don't know. But when I drink some milk, I get more pimples.

What I don't get, is why Soy milk (vanilla soy milk is sooo much better than regular milk, I don't know why people don't drink it...It's a little more watery, but it tastes better..) seems to do the same to my skin. It has no lactose, and I'm not lactose intollerant anyways, and it shouldn't have hormones, because I am pretty sure they don't spray hormones on...soy beans..lol.

One thing that really seems to break me out lately, is Oatmeal. I think it may be because it's so sticky, and it just..sticks to your insides, liver, intestines, whatever, and just blocks up toxins. I'm not a doctor, so I have no clue, but I ate some oatmeal and got like 10 pimples within 8 hours tongue.gif

#4 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2005 - 08:00 AM

Well I am not intolerant to gluten or wheat products nor am I allergic, at least according to current testing methods. There's several theories floating around about why people such as myself would still need to avoid wheat, and the simplest possible theory, which would allow some people to eat 100% whole grain wheat, would be that it's the OTHER ingredients in commercial/refined wheat bread that is the problem.

See, I avoid dairy, trans fats, table sugar/sucrose, and Fructose Sweetners (fruit juice, corn syrup, HFCS) and ALL of these or a combination, can be found in commercial as well as natural/organic breads. I avoid these ingredients in other foods that would be deemed "perfect" for me to eat, but because those ingredients are in them, whether at the top or bottom of the list, my skin still responds.

Therefore, if this theory is the reason, it means that all you need to do is find breads that aren't made with those ingredients, and that is very rare unless you shop at an allergy or specialty type store. Of course you could also bake your breads which allows you the most control over what you consume. If that's not possible Blackbirdbeatle mentioned that there are commercial brands that make breads using ONLY table sugar or honey (should be metabolized like table sugar) and this would ALWAYS be a better choice than ANY Fructose-type sweetener.

The other theories for avoiding wheat/gluten when not allergic or intolerant are:

Yeast - gluten contains yeast which is why gluten-containing breads are far more popular on the market as they are much easier (fluffy, soft, sticky) to work with. Yeast as in an internal yeast or candida infection could increase inflammatory products in the body or skin and possibly contribute to our acne problems. If you have a yeast infection, you would have to give up ALL fruits, as well as regular sugar and dairy because any sugar would feed your problem. The goal is to starve the yeast into die off. Can take up to a year or longer to clear if done only through dietary changes (check the yeast thread).

Insulin Mimicker - no idea how this would apply, but gluten is an insulin mimicker. Other insulin mimickers are things like cinnamon extract & ALA which HELP those with insulin resistance by binding the cells and allowing glucose inside. Gluten may be the form where the body just thinks it's insulin and responds with all the other hormonal changes & inflammatory products seen in acne sufferers.

Insulinoptropic - despite its lower carbohydrate count than other grain products you may find us eating, it may be more insulinoptropic, meaning it raises your insulin levels more than what would be thought based on it's carbohydrate count (glycemic index). Again, could this have something to do with it being an insulin mimicker, who knows.

Amylose Starch - Wheat doesn't have as much amylose, good starch which is more slowly digested than amylopectin starch, as certain varieties of rice, corn, and maybe potatos (as some of us can eat lots of white potatos with no skin reaction)

Cornell 1996 Study - mentions the possibility that it's the amylose content that resulted in semi-refined wheat being more insulin resistant encouraging than semi-refined rice products in over 2500 Chinese women. Whatever the true reason, and it would be VERY good to know, maybe it's all of them, wheat and millet (which is gluten-free) definately illicits a greater insulin response (and all the other negatives assoc. witht that) than does rice. For those of use that produce too much androgens, insulin can lower or Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG), and therefore the more stable our insulin levels the more stable our SHBG. SHBG is what binds free androgens so that they aren't active in the body. It's very rare to see people on here eating millet, but according to this inverse relationship of Insulin & SHBG, if millet (may be only certain varieties) is a problem, then your acne is more than likely due to excess androgens (vs. only from inflammatory products)

HTH

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users