23 replies to this topic

#21 adultacnegirl30

adultacnegirl30

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2005 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE(livius @ Feb 21 2005, 12:58 PM)
I now use only very gentle products (a cleansing lotion for sensitive skin that I don't have to rinse off with water - my skin can't tolerate tap water

View Post

Can you tell me the name of the cleansing lotion you use that does not need to be rinsed with tap water?
Thanks!

#22 TCMinterested

TCMinterested

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 June 2005 - 05:58 PM

Hello:

I use saw palmetto in conjunction with Traditional Chinese Medicine Herbs. I have studied Chinese herbs/acupuncture exclusively for four years (two months in China) and Saw Palmetto was brought to my attention by an excellent instructor from China.

I experimented with it on myself, as I experienced a drastic influx in facial hair all at once at the age of 38. (I am female)

Western medicine doctor said it was early menopause. In TCM we don't believe that. Symptoms are treated accordingly.

I requested the blood work and told him I believed I had elavated testosterone levels.

He disagreed, but did agree to the blood work.

It came back very high but still within the normal range. He suggested HRT in the form of horse urine extract.

At 38 I refused this, but remembered that high testosterone in males and females according to TCM is considered a yin deficiency.

I started on the saw palmetto for one simple reason; the side effect in males taking it for prostatitis is enlarged breasts. The symptoms I was experiencing from the yin deficiencey/elevated testosterone was a shrinking of the breasts - common in menopause.

I used a high quality tincture from a reputable western herbalist. I did end up increasing the dosage to 45 drops 3times per day.

The results were excellent. My breasts became normal again as did other TCM symptoms relating to yin deficiency. It only took about 3 bottles total. (I think - it was years ago now)

Of course I used many TCM herbs as well, mostly to nourish the yin, given my symptoms.

I now use saw palmetto in the form of tinctures for prostatitis, menopause, and other gynecological problems with a yin defiency as the root cause.

A thorough diagnosis is needed. Acne can be caused by many different patterns according to TCM. It can also take up to 8 months to get balanced.

Greasy and spicy foods are very bad for acne caused by damp-heat.
Acne from a hormonal imbalance could be helped with saw palmetto, but hormone levels should be checked. As per the other excellent article on saw palmetto posted on this site, testosterone should be elevated, as it was for me. (My face did clear up, by the way, and I now do the odd bottle here and there, maybe 1 -2 times per year depending on my TCM diagnosis and if I am yin deficient.)

I can not comment on Naturopathic Doctors as I am unsure of what they study. I do know that they do one year of training (in Canada) in TCM compared to a TCM doctor who does four years in the one discipline.

The main thing is to get results and be comfortable with the diagnosis. It should make sense to you, but could take a while, no matter who treats you.

THe advantage of raw chinese herbs is that the formula can be adjusted as symptoms change. This is very important while trying to achieve balance in the zang (solid) organs.

Good luck!

#23 Lady_C

Lady_C

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

bump!

I'm taking saw palmetto 500mg standardized, I'm going to try it for atleast 4 months, so it has time to adjust to my body.

Anyone else on SP?

#24 StephRenee

StephRenee

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:29 AM

I just started Saw Palmetto yesterday (7-28-2013)

I've had acne on and off since a young teenager but it had cleared up over the years. I decided to get on birth control in 2011 (age 21) and was on it for a year..i decided to get off of it due to other side effects it was giving me and OMG my face has gone crazy. Now its been almost 7 months ive been OFF of the BC and my face is just getting worse and worse. I feel like im going thru puberty again. So I started taking tons of vitamins (zinc, vitamin a, fish oil pills, multivitamin, b5) and now I just added Saw palmetto. I was taking all the vitamins for about 2 months and I was slowly seeing some results but I stopped for about a week and half to do a liver flush (fail) then started all my vitamins back up yesterday (7-28-2013). Im determined to clear my acne myself...naturally..without having to go get a prescription. Im pretty sure its hormonal or just my body being out of wack from the birth control. I KNOW ITS RELATED FROM GETTING OFF THE BIRTH CONTROL and dr's ive seen keep telling me its not. Im really fed up with them. So lets hope this works and I'll keep u posted with my results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users