Photo

IS ACNE A FUNGAL INFECTION?

vitamin vitamins vitamin d candida probiotic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

#41 Jay_68

Jay_68

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2005 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE(pmezak @ Feb 27 2005, 07:05 PM)
Thanks I think I understand, that is why acne can be worse when
one take anitfungals, because of the die-off toxins, ok.  But I'd still like to understand, if acne is fungal related, then one has to reduce the levels very gradually?  With diet first, then mild antifungals?  It would
be interesting to find out more. 

View Post

I think there is no way of getting rid of yeasts, these are everywhere. What we can do is reducing the level of their toxins in our body (I believe it has to do something with vitamin d2), and you are absolutely right, it is worth doing it gradually. Research has to be done in order to prove which antifungal agent is best, and how should we take it. Before that I do not recommend any drug therapy like this.
You can manage it with diet! Low carb is OK, but do not forget that you body needs carbohydrates! But the most important thing is: FRESH FOOD! And try to be outside every day, some excercise is also a good idea.

#42 pmezak

pmezak

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2005 - 12:53 PM

Yes, sounds good. I have found that rice seems to be less problematic
for most of my family, myself included, so we have been eating that
as a carb. What do you think of the paleo diet, mostly lean meats, veggies and fruits? That diet excludes most dairy, grains and even legumes. But we do legumes to some extent. Things like black bean
chili with turkey meat. Being part italian, I use rice pasta occasionally.
I don't buy much pizza anymore....anyway thanks sounds like a direction to go in!

#43 goldengirl

goldengirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2005 - 01:05 PM

Regarding heavy metal toxicity and braces. My older son has had his braces off for two years and he is the one with the worse acne. The 14 year old is in year 2 of braces and has the milder case right now. Thought it might be helpful information. Not sure if the 17 year old may have a build up. He does tend to have swollen gums. I have heard that gum health is vitaly important for the body. I wonder what impact it might have on acne and the skin in general.

#44 Jay_68

Jay_68

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2005 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE(pmezak @ Feb 27 2005, 08:53 PM)
What do you think of the paleo diet, mostly lean meats, veggies and fruits?  That diet excludes most dairy, grains and even legumes.

View Post

Research on the paleo diet by L. Cordain was the most exciting research I ever read. But we live in an other age, and I do not think that we have to exclude cereals. Without these foods our civilisation would be in a great trouble...
I do not know btw, what Cordain really wants?

#45 Nathini

Nathini

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2005 - 07:00 PM

I'm excited to have found this thread. I think I had candida a few years ago when I came back from volunteering in Africa. No idea what caused it but I always think 8 months of anti-malarials is probably just not a good thing. Anyway, I got it more or less under control through a strict diet and and something called Citrigen (the Oregano Oil was more expensive, though I hear it's better for acne). My acne actually started with the candida and subsided to a certain extent after treatment, although never completely. Maybe that means I didn't really get rid of it.

Anyway, I'm just rambling now. I just wanted to say that I've been treating myself for candida again this year (curiously, I just spent another summer in Africa on anti-malarials) because I've suddenly started getting all those symptoms again. So far the best thing I've found is Grapefruit Seed Extract. I took it for a few weeks and it completely cleared me up and I felt great. But then I stopped and it came back - Wham! eusa_wall.gif I hear you need to cycle your herbs though, so I'll have to find some others that do the job as well. Large numbers of probiotics help although I have to say I had no results at all with Threelac despite all the money spent. I didn't understand their method of delivery. You dissolve the probiotics on your tongue. How does that help them get to your gut? I've had better luck with enteric coated probiotics because then you know they get exactly where you want them to go with no messing around.

#46 goldengirl

goldengirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2005 - 11:01 AM

Which brand of Grapefruit Seed Extract did you use? I know supplements can vary in quantity and quality of ingredients.
I would like to have my try this out.

Thanks for your help.

#47 Nathini

Nathini

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2005 - 05:51 PM

Sorry, I can't remember which brand of grapefruit seed extract I used. I bought it in a Nutrition House in a mall in Ontario. Now I'm in the US and I don't really have much time for supplement shopping, so I ordered my most recent gfs extract online. My selection criteria was its cheapness. I just started it though, so I don't know if it's any good. It's by Pure Encapsulations. Why don't you go to a health food store and ask them to recommend a good brand of supplement to you, and then just order their gfs extract. Don't forget to combine with probiotics (and don't forget to store these in the refridgerator if they are the kind that needs it).

#48 Jay_68

Jay_68

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2005 - 07:36 AM

During a period of fasting acne usually improves. But you do not have to be on a starvation diet. Here is a candida diet:

DIETARY SUPPRESSION OF CANDIDA ALBICANS ( YEAST )
11/26/2003

A
The yeast grows on sugar and starch and it is fed by gluten-containing grains. Gluten includes wheat, oats, rye and barley.

1. Do not eat sugar or sweets. This includes natural sweets and juices such as apple, orange, grape etc. juices which are highly concentrated in sugar.
2. In the strictest part of yeast removal you should follow the MEVY diet until the yeast readings are much improved. That is M for meats all, chicken, fish, turkey, seafood ( all ), bacon, snails, frog’s legs, venison, duck, ham. E is for eggs. Don’t worry your cholesterol will go way down. V is for vegetables – all except for carrots, corn, potatoes, and beets. No beans except for string beans. Y is for plain yogurt, which may be flavored with vanilla – all spices are OK.
3. No milk, butter and cream are allowed. Most canned products including soups have sugar added ---- make your own.
4. No teas including herbal teas. A cup of decaf coffee is permitted. Drink plenty of water and fresh lemon or lime may be added. Salt is necessary for many functions including digestion. Do not avoid and follow the directions given for your case. Bancha tea - okay.

B
1. Yeasts, molds, and fungi cross react. When taken in food or even breathed they can trigger symptoms and diminish the resistance to Candida. So no mushrooms.
2. Forbidden – breads, pastries, beer, wine, alcohol, potato chips, popcorn, vinegar
and foods containing it, green olives, salad dressings, soy sauce, cider, sodas and nuts All Rices are out for the time being.
3. Make your own salad dressing, lemon juice, garlic, oils, olive, flax, canola sunflower. Use Equal as a sugar substitute –Stevia is the best! Sugar-free jello.
Saute cabbage and use as a pasta or rice base.
4. Check your weight daily – You will find it comes off in bunches and is your reward for doing a hard thing. Many of you are carbo addicts. Don’t be afraid to eat because you are going to have to reapportion you estimates of food - your starch fillers – ARE GONE!
5. Remember – It is not only the yeast that you may be battling but much more
damaging agents such as Hepatitis C, Epstein Barr, Herpes etc. This organisms produces 79 toxins which can stop glandular functions such as THYROID, PANCREAS, KIDNEYS, MENTAL PROCESSES. The yeast can suppress the immune system so that in spite of all the Platinum, Vitamins etc, that you take, you must control this most subtle of enemies.

You have now the power to reclaim your mind, your immune system, your predestined body shape, your vision, and your health

#49 Jay_68

Jay_68

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2005 - 07:40 AM

It is unquestionable that there is a relationship between acne and depression. We know that isotretinoin may cause depression/psychosis in some cases.
How is it with yeast infection? You can read about the possible connection between candidiasis and depression:
http://www.healthyaw.../depression.htm[/URL]

#50 xmarysue

xmarysue

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2005 - 08:10 AM

QUOTE(Jay_68 @ Mar 6 2005, 01:36 PM)
4. No teas including herbal teas. A cup of decaf coffee is permitted. Drink plenty of water and fresh lemon or lime may be added. Salt is necessary for many functions including digestion. Do not avoid and follow the directions given for your case. Bancha tea - okay.

View Post

What?? NO TEAS - including herbal?? Why on earth is that? What is in the teas that encourage growth of the yeast? For example whole leaf green/herbal teas??

#51 pmezak

pmezak

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2005 - 09:28 AM

Jay, that is interesting info on diet, especially the link with hepC. Is there somewhere I can read more about that? Thanks,
pmezak

#52 Jay_68

Jay_68

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2005 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE(pmezak @ Mar 6 2005, 05:28 PM)
Jay, that is interesting info on diet, especially the link with hepC.  Is there somewhere I can read more about that?  Thanks,
pmezak

View Post

I think it is just because of impaired immune system. So this can be any kind of infection...

#53 Jay_68

Jay_68

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2005 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE(xheatherleighx @ Mar 6 2005, 04:10 PM)
What??  NO TEAS - including herbal?? Why on earth is that?  What is in the teas that encourage growth of the yeast?  For example whole leaf green/herbal teas??

View Post

yes, it is weird. It would be nice of you if you could collect other sources of "candida diet"

#54 pmezak

pmezak

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2005 - 11:36 AM

to Jay, or anyone else who may know, my daughter has used a topical antibio,
benzaclin, for quite a while. She stopped using it after it started to lose effectiveness, and now, her acne is worsened. It is not cystic, but small red
spots all over her face and neck. I really think that her normal skin barrier has
been disrupted, but am not sure how she can fix it. She has been off bread for
a while, maybe a month, but still takes an antibiotic. She's 19, and not sure
about what I say about candida & yeast. I want to help her, but I do think this
is all yeast related. Thanks for any ideas. confused.gif

#55 Wolfy

Wolfy

Formerly Known As Wolfkeeper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2005 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE(pmezak @ Mar 6 2005, 06:36 PM)
to Jay, or anyone else who may know,  my daughter has used a topical antibio,
benzaclin, for quite a while.  She stopped using it after it started to lose effectiveness, and now, her acne is worsened.  It is not cystic, but small red
spots all over her face and neck.  I really think that her normal skin barrier has
been disrupted, but am not sure how she can fix it.  She has been off bread for
a while, maybe a month,  but still takes an antibiotic.  She's 19, and not sure
about what I say about candida & yeast.  I want to help her, but  I do think this
is all yeast related.  Thanks for any ideas. confused.gif

View Post

It might be the bug has become immune to that antibiotic, or she has picked up an immune bug.

Alternatively and probably as, or more likely, she has got a different sort of bug that is causing a rash- in other words the antibiotic upset the balance of power of the normal flora that is on everyone's skin and a different bug is now causing her reaction. What you described sounds like that. A good derm would take a sample and might be able to work out what's going on and prescribe accordingly.

I'd be surprised if yeast had much to do with it. But you never know.

#56 Jay_68

Jay_68

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE(pmezak @ Mar 6 2005, 07:36 PM)
to Jay, or anyone else who may know,  my daughter has used a topical antibio,
benzaclin, for quite a while.  She stopped using it after it started to lose effectiveness, and now, her acne is worsened.  It is not cystic, but small red
spots all over her face and neck.  I really think that her normal skin barrier has
been disrupted, but am not sure how she can fix it.  She has been off bread for
a while, maybe a month,  but still takes an antibiotic.  She's 19, and not sure
about what I say about candida & yeast.  I want to help her, but  I do think this
is all yeast related.  Thanks for any ideas. confused.gif

View Post

personally I believe that using antibiotics is not the best choice in acne. Either topical or tablets you are taking.
I do not know whether there is a association with yeast infection, but killing all the bacteria may cause yeast overgrowth on your skin as well.
This topic more discusses the possible connetcion between bowel disbiosis and hormonal disbalance. I think it is easier to rebuild your skin flora than you bowel flora...

#57 Jay_68

Jay_68

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:32 AM

Another candida diet and natural treatment by Dr. John Dommisse, you can read more here

Diet
Without strict adherence to the following diet, no anti-candida drug or treatment will succeed.

(1) Avoid added sugars (including fructose, honey, molasses, fruit-juice sweeteners, etc.) and all sugar-sweet foods and snacks, including cakes, cookies, candies, desserts, sodas, fruit-juice and ice-cream, unless they are made with sugar-substitutes like saccharine or aspartame ...

(2) Avoid white-starch foods, like white bread, cakes, cookies, white pasta, white rice, potatoes w/o their skins, and all refined flours, etc.. Whole-grain flour, in moderation, is acceptable to me, unless you are a 'carbohydrate addict'; also potatoes with their peels, whole-grain brown or wild rice, whole-grain pasta ...

(3) Increase your intake of essential oils, esp. omega-3 oils, which are very lacking in the Western World's diet. These include: Fish oils, and oily fish, like salmon, mackerel, tuna-in-oil, sardines-in-oil, etc.; Flax-seed, borage and evening primrose oils. ...

(4) Avoid antibiotics and cortisone-type prescriptions if at all possible.

Treatments
(1) Acidophilus (or Primadophilus or Bifidus capsules), 700-1,000mg (or at least 1 million organisms) after breakfast and after supper daily, either indefinitely or at least for 6 months.

(2) Caprylic (or Undecanoic) Acid capsules 700-1,000mg (preferably including herbal anti-candida substances as well), after brkfst and after supper daily, for 3-9 months, depending on the blood antibody titers.

(3) Colloidal Silver (<0.001 micron particle-size, 200-500 ppm), one teaspoonful after breakfast and supper daily, for 3-9 months...

#58 2die4Him

2die4Him

Natural Beauty Consultant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:47 AM

Has anyone tried using a yogurt (plain, obviously) mask on the skin? I'm just curious if a topical application of yogurt would help kill the yeast. I've used it before for treating, uh, a different type of yeast infection redface.gif and it worked better than the junk the doc gave me!

Obviously, the diet would still need to be followed to kill the yeast in the body at the cellular level...

#59 Wolfy

Wolfy

Formerly Known As Wolfkeeper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2005 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE(2die4Him @ Mar 7 2005, 05:47 PM)
Has anyone tried using a yogurt (plain, obviously) mask on the skin? I'm just curious if a topical application of yogurt would help kill the yeast. I've used it before for treating, uh, a different type of yeast infection  redface.gif  and it worked better than the junk the doc gave me!

Obviously, the diet would still need to be followed to kill the yeast in the body at the cellular level...

View Post

I think the people here are suggesting that the yeast overgrowth is in the GI tract.

I'm reall very sure that the yeast isn't on the skin.

Presumably, if the GI yeast theory was correct then taking one of the oral treatment for yeast should cure or atleast improve acne. I'm assuming that it doesn't do that, otherwise other people would have noticed it before.

Feel free to try it though.

#60 Jay_68

Jay_68

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2005 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE(Wolfkeeper @ Mar 7 2005, 07:22 PM)
I think the people here are suggesting that the yeast overgrowth is in the GI tract.

I'm assuming that it doesn't do that, otherwise other people would have noticed it before.

View Post

From http://www.vitaminex...ews/candida.htm : Thanks to the pioneering work of William G. Crook, M.D., chronicled in his book The Yeast Connection, people suffering from symptoms as diverse as depression, anxiety, reoccurring irritability, heartburn, indigestion, lethargy, extreme food and environmental allergies, acne, migraine headaches, reoccurring cystitis, vaginal infections, premenstrual tension, or menstrual problems, can now be successfully treated by eliminating the overgrowth of a parasite called Candida albicans.

The yeast connection book: at Amazon.com