Photo

IS ACNE A FUNGAL INFECTION?

vitamin vitamins vitamin d candida probiotic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

#21 pmezak

pmezak

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 February 2005 - 12:58 PM

I have believed that acne and yeast are related for some time. I wanted to mention another doctor/author who talks about it, he is Fred Pescatore and I read
his book called "Feed Your Kids Well" a while back. He has a section on yeast
disorders and put acne in that section. I also think he has a newer book out called
"Asthma & Allergy Relief" that talks about yeast also. My youngest son, who has
the worst case of acne in my home, also had a skin disease right before adolescence called tinea versicolor, and was treated with antifungal topicals. Later on his condition seemed better, but then he developed acne along his hair lines and it spread over his upper body. He is on accutane, because everything we tried
didn't work. But one thing is good, he didn't take antibiotics for it. Once his skin
settles down, I want to up things like probiotics for him. I know about anti-candida diets, but we have never really cut out bread. We were using tortillas to
make wraps instead of sandwiches, but that got boring. School lunches are hard
to do without bread. Not impossible, but problematic. But acne is awful to suffer
from. Would love to hear others' experiences with yeast/candida!

#22 Melchior

Melchior

I'm naoya_socol's #1 fan!!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 February 2005 - 01:52 PM

Can someone recommend a great probiotic to take, or at least what strains of bacteria it should include? biggrin.gif

#23 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 February 2005 - 02:06 PM

Like I said, Threelac allows you to get candida under control very quickly, without going on an extremely restrictive diet. Expensive, but worth every penny. I love Primal Defense, and that works well too. However, it works great but over a looooonnnng time. Threelac seems to start working immediately. I've taken about 8 different probiotics and about 10 different yeast fighting supplements and I maintain that Threelac is the best.

Keep in mind that you may feel terrible when you start killing the yeast. They do release toxins when they are dying.

#24 Melchior

Melchior

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 February 2005 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE(Denise2 @ Feb 23 2005, 02:06 PM)
Like I said, Threelac allows you to get candida under control very quickly, without going on an extremely restrictive diet.  Expensive, but worth every penny.  I love Primal Defense, and that works well too.  However, it works great but over a looooonnnng time.  Threelac seems to start working immediately.  I've taken about 8 different probiotics and about 10 different yeast fighting supplements and I maintain that Threelac is the best.

Keep in mind that you may feel terrible when you start killing the yeast.  They do release toxins when they are dying.

View Post

So if I went on Threelac, you're saying I wouldn't have to cut out everything I normally would? Or is this just related to yeast? I don't really mind cutting out yeast and levened bread, but I really don't want to leave cheese behind... razz.gif

#25 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 February 2005 - 02:17 PM

Well, I'm speaking "within reason". I'm not saying you can eat sundaes each day and get candida under control. But I didn't restrict greatly what I was eating when I took Threelac.

Besides that, I believe that bowel cleansing is very important to getting candida under control as well. Acne is a puzzle; there are certain things that for sure cause it. But those things, imho, only boil down to a few things.

#26 Ph-rank

Ph-rank

pH

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 February 2005 - 03:28 PM

Oooo, I was gonna make a post about candida and yeast... someone beat me to it though. I researched it madly over a few days, a week or two ago, and it does seem like there's a strong conenction... in some cases!

Advice I got from the 'net was a four step elimination process:

1. Firstly, stopping antibiotics (oral antibiotics, the pill etc. are mentioned - but is BP cream/gel counted in this catergory, and could it further cause acne possibly and cause candida in the skin (face) or any other topical acne agents?

2. Secondly was to kill off the existing yeast infection, which could be done through diet/ traditional antimycoptic agents like onion, which is considered nearly the best anfingal agent, or other herbs, or by using an antifungal agent (some believe this is a bad idea - but many candida sites recommend that diet and holistic methods are not good enough to combat the infection, and it may just be suppressed or be a conditional treatment by using natural methods).

However, it is suggested that the system would adapt to any natural anfifungal and 'mycotic agents, so a rotation and herbs is required, if the natural method is adopted.

3. Thirdly, advice is to take probiotics,such as muller vitality drinks, or anything more powerful, to replace good bacteria (which may die from the antibiotics/antifungal agents) and also because they are quite effective at killing off the -bad- candida albicans yeast.

4. Last, but not least, was a controlled diet, eliminating the usuals (concerning acne) but this means recucing sugars of all forms, including fruits, and by reducing starch (eg. potatoes), and yeast intake and avoiding mold foods, also avoiding any "artificial" foods would help.

Thoroughly thorough site biggrin.gif
Great thorough candida site

Hope the link is made more widely available, more research is done, and doctors look into it more carefully; but who knows, it could all be a big scandal rolleyes.gif

c0rk

#27 goldengirl

goldengirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:41 AM

QUOTE(pmezak @ Feb 21 2005, 09:15 PM)
Interesting, I have thought that yeast and acne are related, but haven't been able
to eradicate it from my sons.  It has been hard to get them to follow a diet,  but
I can tell you that the son with it the worst also had fungal toenails, so I see a
connection.  He's older now, and trying to go gluten free.  The younger sons, (14
& 19)  do seem to eat bread, it is so easy when you are busy.  I try to cook without sugar.  My 14 year old tried antifungals and did get worse acne, probably
from the die-off.  He's on accutane now, as his acne is severe.  This is an interesting post.  Love to hear from others that may know about a connection.
Thanks! eusa_angel.gif

View Post

Pmezak

I have two sons with acne (strong hereditary link with father and his family). Husband and siblings all suffered ranges from mild to severe. Two took Accutane.
I have been researching as well and also wonder about the links to fungal infections, deficiencies etc. Something we have noticed with our 17 yr old, which we did mention to the derm was that he always (for years) has had white spots on his nails. Turns out that this can be a sign of zinc deficiency. I was finding it difficult to believe since I feel we eat 100% better than most of the families I know. Turns out a diet high it phylates(SP) can create this state. High fiber foods, whole grains, fruits, etc. can block absorption. This is just the stuff we consume. Also, my 14 yr old son, has less severe a case and he doesn't have the spots. He is more easily controlled with the SA wash, AHA toner and AHA moisturizer. Using same regimen for both guys and getting little or no results for 17 yr old and great results for 14 yr. old.

I would appreciate too any help in the diet, menu dept. What are you replacing milk with, etc. My kids love cereal. I have kind of been doing a survey of my kids friends families and did find that the kids that drink little or no milk and don't eat cereal seem to have no acne. Also, my husbands family are and have always been big milk drinkers. I actually started drinking milk again when I met my husband. I wonder if it could at all help to explain why they all suffered so. In my family, after we were 10 years old my mom said we didn't want to drink milk and in High School didn't even want or have time for breakfast which I heard is not good!

Sorry this is so long. Well just throwing some things out there. Wish we could get to the bottom of this. Feels like we are alone in this as it does seem like the big companies benefit too much from all those who suffer acne.

#28 pmezak

pmezak

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:05 AM

Hi goldengirl,
I have 5 kids, the youngest is 14, the oldest 21. 4 boys, 3 of which have significant degrees of acne. Daughter is 18, in college, decided to take
antibiotics there. She has some acne too, although she doesn't scar, and
is vigilant with caring for her skin. Anyway, I've read soo many diet books,
and for awhile we were using rice milk or soy milk, but they didn't seem to
make a big difference. I can also say that one of the latest books, The Paleo
Diet by Loren Cordain, thinks that acne is from insulin imbalance, so grains
and dairy are mostly out on his plan. Lean meats, fish, veggies and fruits are
what he recommends. On his site, thepaleodiet.com, there are success stories,
and several have to do with acne. Anyway, we don't totally go grain free, we
do use rice pasta. And my youngest still uses bread. So we are not really
that restrictive with diet. Zinc does help them when they take it. I also read
the Blood Type diet books, most of us are Os, except for my husband and one
son are Bs. Wheat is supposed to be not so good for any of us, according to
this naturopathic author. Wheat can cause the phytate problems, hurt the villi
in the intestines causing deficiencies also. Got to run right now, but that's sort
of where I am with this all. I do like reading here, SweetJade is a great poster
among others. Good luck! wink.gif

#29 Melchior

Melchior

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:16 AM

Hmm, well just so everyone knows, I've never really drinked milk often at all, maybe five years ago like four times a year, nothing really beyond that, especially lately, where I probably haven't drinken milk for years. Must be something else in my case. razz.gif

#30 elmafud2

elmafud2

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:28 AM

Oil Of Oregano is supposed to be an extreamly potent natural candida killer. Theres lots of info on the net, including medical studys on it.

#31 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2005 - 02:00 PM

Oil of oregano is excellent for killing acne-causing bacteria.

#32 xmarysue

xmarysue

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2005 - 12:21 PM

I read in a thread somewhere that vinegar (in diet, not as topical) is not recommended for candida.. and am curious to know if this is true - and why? eusa_doh.gif I would think the opposite. I've done a search but am unable to find any further information on it.

#33 Jay_68

Jay_68

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2005 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE(flipside @ Feb 23 2005, 03:22 AM)
another interesting article...

View Post

The oldest antifungal therapy is cyclosporin A. Carefully read this abstract:

1: Nephron. 1996;72(4):679-82.

Acne: a potential side effect of cyclosporine A therapy.

el-Shahawy MA, Gadallah MF, Massry SG.

Department of Medicine, USC School of Medicine, Los Angeles 90033 USA.

A renal transplant recipient who developed severe acne 6 months after
transplantation is described. Maintenance immunosuppression consisted of
cyclosporine A (CsA), azathioprine and prednisone. Tapering the prednisone dose
to as low as 5 mg/day, in addition to topical tetracycline, Retin-A cream, and
systemic antimicrobial therapy failed to control the progression of the skin
lesions. Despite therapy with isotretinoin (Accutane), the lesions continued to
progress with nodulocystic transformation (acne conglobata) and isotretinoin was
discontinued after 4 months. However, the condition continued to worsen with the
development of a systemic illness with daily fever, diaphoresis, and depression.
High fever (103 degrees F) with shaking chills prompted hospitalization.
Withdrawal of CsA resulted in rapid and continuous improvement of the skin
lesions. After 12 months of follow-up, the lesions significantly resolved except
for residual areas of scarring. No episodes of acute allograft rejection
occurred. In conclusion, we suggest that CsA therapy may be associated with the
development of acne. Nodulocystic transformation (acne conglobata) may occur
despite the use of isotretinoin. Finally, withdrawal of CsA may lead to
resolution of the skin disease and should, therefore, be considered as a
therapeutic option for severe and treatment-resistant cases.

#34 pmezak

pmezak

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2005 - 04:32 PM

I read it slowly twice, but I don't understand. If cyclosporin A is antifungal, then how does it follow that acne is a fungal condition?
The medicine should have helped right? I'm confused. Please elaborate.....thanks!

#35 goldengirl

goldengirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2005 - 06:35 PM

Cyclosporin A is an immunosuppresive anti-rejection drug given after transplant.

#36 Carl

Carl

Ninja

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2005 - 06:52 PM

The the hell can we eat?

#37 zigzag

zigzag

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2005 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE(Carl @ Feb 26 2005, 07:52 PM)
The the hell can we eat?

View Post

Maybe nothing, maybe we aren't meant to eat at all. eusa_angel.gif

#38 Jay_68

Jay_68

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2005 - 02:19 AM

QUOTE(goldengirl @ Feb 27 2005, 02:35 AM)
Cyclosporin A is an immunosuppresive anti-rejection drug given after transplant.

View Post

Yes, it is true. Cyclosporins are primarily used as immunosuppressive agents. Cyclosporin was first investigated as an anti-fungal antibiotic but its spectrum was too narrow to be of any clinical use. (The cyclosporin story). But you have to know that it KILLS YEASTS!!!!!
And also, we are using it as an anticancer drug. But do not try, this can have very serious side effects!

#39 Jay_68

Jay_68

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2005 - 02:22 AM

QUOTE(pmezak @ Feb 27 2005, 12:32 AM)
I read it slowly twice, but I don't understand.  If cyclosporin A is antifungal, then how does it follow that acne is a fungal condition? 
The medicine should have helped right?  I'm confused.  Please elaborate.....thanks!

View Post

Acne is a fungal condition, but caused only by toxins, fungal cell- death.

#40 pmezak

pmezak

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2005 - 11:05 AM

Thanks I think I understand, that is why acne can be worse when
one take anitfungals, because of the die-off toxins, ok. But I'd still like to understand, if acne is fungal related, then one has to reduce the levels very gradually? With diet first, then mild antifungals? It would
be interesting to find out more. Also, my kids may have heavy metal
toxicity, which I was treated for by a naturopath. High mercury to be exact, and that is supposed to cause an imbalance in the good flora. The one with the worst skin has metal braces, which coincided with his
skin worsening. I still think it's all connected. Just don't know what to do to help him. He's on sotret, (accutane) now and it is helping a bit.
Braces come off in 7 months. So I am back to a basic low carb style
diet, no yeast which we aren't doing right now. But I know how to do it.
Thanks Jay, I'll keep reading here.