Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jay_68

IS ACNE A FUNGAL INFECTION?

66 posts in this topic

Oooo, I was gonna make a post about candida and yeast... someone beat me to it though. I researched it madly over a few days, a week or two ago, and it does seem like there's a strong conenction... in some cases!

Advice I got from the 'net was a four step elimination process:

1. Firstly, stopping antibiotics (oral antibiotics, the pill etc. are mentioned - but is BP cream/gel counted in this catergory, and could it further cause acne possibly and cause candida in the skin (face) or any other topical acne agents?

2. Secondly was to kill off the existing yeast infection, which could be done through diet/ traditional antimycoptic agents like onion, which is considered nearly the best anfingal agent, or other herbs, or by using an antifungal agent (some believe this is a bad idea - but many candida sites recommend that diet and holistic methods are not good enough to combat the infection, and it may just be suppressed or be a conditional treatment by using natural methods).

However, it is suggested that the system would adapt to any natural anfifungal and 'mycotic agents, so a rotation and herbs is required, if the natural method is adopted.

3. Thirdly, advice is to take probiotics,such as muller vitality drinks, or anything more powerful, to replace good bacteria (which may die from the antibiotics/antifungal agents) and also because they are quite effective at killing off the -bad- candida albicans yeast.

4. Last, but not least, was a controlled diet, eliminating the usuals (concerning acne) but this means recucing sugars of all forms, including fruits, and by reducing starch (eg. potatoes), and yeast intake and avoiding mold foods, also avoiding any "artificial" foods would help.

Thoroughly thorough site biggrin.gif

Great thorough candida site

Hope the link is made more widely available, more research is done, and doctors look into it more carefully; but who knows, it could all be a big scandal rolleyes.gif

c0rk

Interesting, I have thought that yeast and acne are related, but haven't been able

to eradicate it from my sons.  It has been hard to get them to follow a diet,  but

I can tell you that the son with it the worst also had fungal toenails, so I see a

connection.  He's older now, and trying to go gluten free.  The younger sons, (14

& 19)  do seem to eat bread, it is so easy when you are busy.  I try to cook without sugar.  My 14 year old tried antifungals and did get worse acne, probably

from the die-off.  He's on accutane now, as his acne is severe.  This is an interesting post.  Love to hear from others that may know about a connection.

Thanks! eusa_angel.gif

Hi goldengirl,

I have 5 kids, the youngest is 14, the oldest 21. 4 boys, 3 of which have significant degrees of acne. Daughter is 18, in college, decided to take

antibiotics there. She has some acne too, although she doesn't scar, and

is vigilant with caring for her skin. Anyway, I've read soo many diet books,

and for awhile we were using rice milk or soy milk, but they didn't seem to

make a big difference. I can also say that one of the latest books, The Paleo

Diet by Loren Cordain, thinks that acne is from insulin imbalance, so grains

and dairy are mostly out on his plan. Lean meats, fish, veggies and fruits are

what he recommends. On his site, thepaleodiet.com, there are success stories,

and several have to do with acne. Anyway, we don't totally go grain free, we

do use rice pasta. And my youngest still uses bread. So we are not really

that restrictive with diet. Zinc does help them when they take it. I also read

the Blood Type diet books, most of us are Os, except for my husband and one

son are Bs. Wheat is supposed to be not so good for any of us, according to

this naturopathic author. Wheat can cause the phytate problems, hurt the villi

in the intestines causing deficiencies also. Got to run right now, but that's sort

of where I am with this all. I do like reading here, SweetJade is a great poster

among others. Good luck! wink.gif

Hmm, well just so everyone knows, I've never really drinked milk often at all, maybe five years ago like four times a year, nothing really beyond that, especially lately, where I probably haven't drinken milk for years. Must be something else in my case. razz.gif

Oil Of Oregano is supposed to be an extreamly potent natural candida killer. Theres lots of info on the net, including medical studys on it.

I read in a thread somewhere that vinegar (in diet, not as topical) is not recommended for candida.. and am curious to know if this is true - and why? eusa_doh.gif I would think the opposite. I've done a search but am unable to find any further information on it.

I read it slowly twice, but I don't understand. If cyclosporin A is antifungal, then how does it follow that acne is a fungal condition?

The medicine should have helped right? I'm confused. Please elaborate.....thanks!

I read it slowly twice, but I don't understand.  If cyclosporin A is antifungal, then how does it follow that acne is a fungal condition? 

The medicine should have helped right?  I'm confused.  Please elaborate.....thanks!

Thanks I think I understand, that is why acne can be worse when

one take anitfungals, because of the die-off toxins, ok. But I'd still like to understand, if acne is fungal related, then one has to reduce the levels very gradually? With diet first, then mild antifungals? It would

be interesting to find out more. Also, my kids may have heavy metal

toxicity, which I was treated for by a naturopath. High mercury to be exact, and that is supposed to cause an imbalance in the good flora. The one with the worst skin has metal braces, which coincided with his

skin worsening. I still think it's all connected. Just don't know what to do to help him. He's on sotret, (accutane) now and it is helping a bit.

Braces come off in 7 months. So I am back to a basic low carb style

diet, no yeast which we aren't doing right now. But I know how to do it.

Thanks Jay, I'll keep reading here.

Thanks I think I understand, that is why acne can be worse when

one take anitfungals, because of the die-off toxins, ok.  But I'd still like to understand, if acne is fungal related, then one has to reduce the levels very gradually?  With diet first, then mild antifungals?  It would

be interesting to find out more. 

Yes, sounds good. I have found that rice seems to be less problematic

for most of my family, myself included, so we have been eating that

as a carb. What do you think of the paleo diet, mostly lean meats, veggies and fruits? That diet excludes most dairy, grains and even legumes. But we do legumes to some extent. Things like black bean

chili with turkey meat. Being part italian, I use rice pasta occasionally.

I don't buy much pizza anymore....anyway thanks sounds like a direction to go in!

Regarding heavy metal toxicity and braces. My older son has had his braces off for two years and he is the one with the worse acne. The 14 year old is in year 2 of braces and has the milder case right now. Thought it might be helpful information. Not sure if the 17 year old may have a build up. He does tend to have swollen gums. I have heard that gum health is vitaly important for the body. I wonder what impact it might have on acne and the skin in general.

What do you think of the paleo diet, mostly lean meats, veggies and fruits?  That diet excludes most dairy, grains and even legumes.

I'm excited to have found this thread. I think I had candida a few years ago when I came back from volunteering in Africa. No idea what caused it but I always think 8 months of anti-malarials is probably just not a good thing. Anyway, I got it more or less under control through a strict diet and and something called Citrigen (the Oregano Oil was more expensive, though I hear it's better for acne). My acne actually started with the candida and subsided to a certain extent after treatment, although never completely. Maybe that means I didn't really get rid of it.

Anyway, I'm just rambling now. I just wanted to say that I've been treating myself for candida again this year (curiously, I just spent another summer in Africa on anti-malarials) because I've suddenly started getting all those symptoms again. So far the best thing I've found is Grapefruit Seed Extract. I took it for a few weeks and it completely cleared me up and I felt great. But then I stopped and it came back - Wham! eusa_wall.gif I hear you need to cycle your herbs though, so I'll have to find some others that do the job as well. Large numbers of probiotics help although I have to say I had no results at all with Threelac despite all the money spent. I didn't understand their method of delivery. You dissolve the probiotics on your tongue. How does that help them get to your gut? I've had better luck with enteric coated probiotics because then you know they get exactly where you want them to go with no messing around.

Only connect...

Which brand of Grapefruit Seed Extract did you use? I know supplements can vary in quantity and quality of ingredients.

I would like to have my try this out.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry, I can't remember which brand of grapefruit seed extract I used. I bought it in a Nutrition House in a mall in Ontario. Now I'm in the US and I don't really have much time for supplement shopping, so I ordered my most recent gfs extract online. My selection criteria was its cheapness. I just started it though, so I don't know if it's any good. It's by Pure Encapsulations. Why don't you go to a health food store and ask them to recommend a good brand of supplement to you, and then just order their gfs extract. Don't forget to combine with probiotics (and don't forget to store these in the refridgerator if they are the kind that needs it).

Only connect...

During a period of fasting acne usually improves. But you do not have to be on a starvation diet. Here is a candida diet:

DIETARY SUPPRESSION OF CANDIDA ALBICANS ( YEAST )

11/26/2003

A

The yeast grows on sugar and starch and it is fed by gluten-containing grains. Gluten includes wheat, oats, rye and barley.

1. Do not eat sugar or sweets. This includes natural sweets and juices such as apple, orange, grape etc. juices which are highly concentrated in sugar.

2. In the strictest part of yeast removal you should follow the MEVY diet until the yeast readings are much improved. That is M for meats all, chicken, fish, turkey, seafood ( all ), bacon, snails, frog’s legs, venison, duck, ham. E is for eggs. Don’t worry your cholesterol will go way down. V is for vegetables – all except for carrots, corn, potatoes, and beets. No beans except for string beans. Y is for plain yogurt, which may be flavored with vanilla – all spices are OK.

3. No milk, butter and cream are allowed. Most canned products including soups have sugar added ---- make your own.

4. No teas including herbal teas. A cup of decaf coffee is permitted. Drink plenty of water and fresh lemon or lime may be added. Salt is necessary for many functions including digestion. Do not avoid and follow the directions given for your case. Bancha tea - okay.

B

1. Yeasts, molds, and fungi cross react. When taken in food or even breathed they can trigger symptoms and diminish the resistance to Candida. So no mushrooms.

2. Forbidden – breads, pastries, beer, wine, alcohol, potato chips, popcorn, vinegar

and foods containing it, green olives, salad dressings, soy sauce, cider, sodas and nuts All Rices are out for the time being.

3. Make your own salad dressing, lemon juice, garlic, oils, olive, flax, canola sunflower. Use Equal as a sugar substitute –Stevia is the best! Sugar-free jello.

Saute cabbage and use as a pasta or rice base.

4. Check your weight daily – You will find it comes off in bunches and is your reward for doing a hard thing. Many of you are carbo addicts. Don’t be afraid to eat because you are going to have to reapportion you estimates of food - your starch fillers – ARE GONE!

5. Remember – It is not only the yeast that you may be battling but much more

damaging agents such as Hepatitis C, Epstein Barr, Herpes etc. This organisms produces 79 toxins which can stop glandular functions such as THYROID, PANCREAS, KIDNEYS, MENTAL PROCESSES. The yeast can suppress the immune system so that in spite of all the Platinum, Vitamins etc, that you take, you must control this most subtle of enemies.

You have now the power to reclaim your mind, your immune system, your predestined body shape, your vision, and your health

4. No teas including herbal teas. A cup of decaf coffee is permitted. Drink plenty of water and fresh lemon or lime may be added. Salt is necessary for many functions including digestion. Do not avoid and follow the directions given for your case. Bancha tea - okay.