Photo

IS ACNE A FUNGAL INFECTION?

vitamin vitamins vitamin d candida probiotic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

#1 Jay_68

Jay_68

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:26 AM

Acne is possibly related to yeast and fungal infection, colonization and overgrowth in bowel. It is not clear whether Saccharomyces cerevisiae (baker's or brewer's yeast), candida or both(?) are responsible for the symptoms. Antibiotic or antifungal treatment may worsen the situation.

I have posted a note on a recently published article, in which they found that milk and dairy products are related to the disease. Another striking finding was that there was an association with vitamin D suplementation (you have to know that it is usually vitamin D2). The paper again: Adebamowo CA, Spiegelman D, Danby FW, Frazier AL, Willett WC, Holmes MD. High school dietary dairy intake and teenage acne. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2005 Feb;52(2):207-14. In a previous study done by Prof. Loren Cordain researchers found a link between teenage acne and bread.(BBC NEWS)
We know that Ergosterol (the provitamin of D2) can only be found in the cell membrane of fungi. This way fungi interact with vitamin D metabolism. And what I think is that toxins from yeasts and fungi may cause some psychotic symptoms as well.
Roaccutane (which is the accepted treatment for acne) I guess have
antimycotic effect and that is why can cure acne.

This is an important link, how to manage fungal infection:
The candida FAQ

What you have to do is do not eat dairy (their ergosterol level could be high, and these food are fortified with vitamin D2). Do not eat leavened bread and dough, try to decrease your yeast intake, and also any kind of fungi (mushrooms too). At the first time try to lower your sugar and carbohydrate intake (it is a good fuel for fungi) but you can eatyeast-free bread, I believe.
Cleaning your bowels are also a good choice. BUT DO NOT START WITH ANTIFUNGAL treatent, because the early time dead fungal cell may cause increased absorption of fungal toxins. The best treatment is possibly PROBIOTICS.

PLEASE REFER THE RESULTS TO YOUR DERMATOLOGIST and write here, too.

THANKS.

#2 pmezak

pmezak

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:15 PM

Interesting, I have thought that yeast and acne are related, but haven't been able
to eradicate it from my sons. It has been hard to get them to follow a diet, but
I can tell you that the son with it the worst also had fungal toenails, so I see a
connection. He's older now, and trying to go gluten free. The younger sons, (14
& 19) do seem to eat bread, it is so easy when you are busy. I try to cook without sugar. My 14 year old tried antifungals and did get worse acne, probably
from the die-off. He's on accutane now, as his acne is severe. This is an interesting post. Love to hear from others that may know about a connection.
Thanks! eusa_angel.gif

#3 Jay_68

Jay_68

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2005 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE(pmezak @ Feb 21 2005, 11:15 PM)
Interesting, I have thought that yeast and acne are related, but haven't been able
to eradicate it from my sons.  It has been hard to get them to follow a diet,  but
I can tell you that the son with it the worst also had fungal toenails, so I see a
connection.  He's older now, and trying to go gluten free.  The younger sons, (14
& 19)  do seem to eat bread, it is so easy when you are busy.  I try to cook without sugar.   My 14 year old tried antifungals and did get worse acne, probably
from the die-off.  He's on accutane now, as his acne is severe.  This is an interesting post.   Love to hear from others that may know about a connection.
Thanks! eusa_angel.gif

View Post

I think you don't have to stress yourself and your sons with sugar-free or gluten-free diet. It is very important to let them eat what they want, except yeast-based foods (beer is also hazardous!) with of course lowering refined carbohydrate intake. We usually feel what our body needs. But human diet is very monotonous, and based on processed carbohydrate foods and this is good for fungi but not bacteria. Another important point, I guess, to eat fresh food! Do you know how "we" measure the quality of tomato? With the ergosterol level. Interesting! So what should be the goal of acne treatment? To recover the normal bowel-flora and the balance between yeasts/bacteria, primarily with biological weapons. Although, I am a physician, we would need a gastroenterologist to help, this is not my speciality. But I think probiotics would be a good choice.
Some people recommend bowel (colon) irrigation and fasting, probably this can be very effective. (you probably know that many people believe that religious fasting is beneficial for the body). But do not fast for a long time (for more than a day), this can also be very dangerous (again, the die-off theory). Starvation can cause delirium among one of the complication and other problems as well. It is better if you consult with your doctor.

#4 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2005 - 02:47 AM

QUOTE(Jay_68 @ Feb 21 2005, 04:05 PM)
I think you don't have to stress yourself and your sons with sugar-free or gluten-free diet. It is very important to let them eat what they want, except yeast-based foods (beer is also hazardous!) with of course lowering refined carbohydrate intake. We usually feel what our body needs. But human diet is very monotonous, and based on processed carbohydrate foods and this is good for fungi but not bacteria. Another important point, I guess, to eat fresh food! Do you know how "we" measure the quality of tomato? With the ergosterol level. Interesting! So what should be the goal of acne treatment? To recover the normal bowel-flora and the balance between yeasts/bacteria, primarily with biological weapons. Although, I am a physician, we would need a gastroenterologist to help, this is not my speciality. But I think probiotics would be a good choice.
Some people recommend bowel (colon) irrigation and fasting, probably this can be very effective. (you probably know that many people believe that religious fasting is beneficial for the body). But do not fast for a long time (for more than a day or two), this can also be very dangerous (again, the dead-off theory). Starvation can cause delirium - maybe we have found a scientific explanation for this. So if you are brave enough, you can try the combination of taking laxative/irrigation and fasting with drinking 2-3 liters of water. But only for a day, and this can be repeated within a week intervals.

View Post

Oh yeah, I definately believe that part of some acne sufferers' problems have to do with yeast. I never broke out on certain areas of my face or body until after I stopped my 3 month treatment of minocycline. Would you believe it, despite being on Birth Control & Spironolactone at the same time, my body broke out worse than it ever had, with acne in new places, and those drugs just weren't as effective anymore. Even now with my dietary changes, those places haven't been eliminated. All it takes is enough added sugar in my diet and I'm fully capable of breaking out on my lower arm or my eyebrows doubt.gif

I'm extremely sensitive to added sugars, not really sugars from whole fruits though, and so I do wonder if maybe I should do something about any yeast that may be hanging around. I've gone through two courses of Diflucan and Metronizadole when I was experiencing IBS symptoms, that was entirely due to lacking fiber on my diet change, but that apperently didn't kill much if any yeast. I've also taken several brands of probiotics, never long enough to give a fair trial though, but maybe I should try some sort of other detox measure. Know of any herbs that kill yeast?

Anyway, I know that some members cleared by following anti-candida or anti-yeast diets, but those are more strict than what I currently follow in a way. They eliminate whole fruit sugars and with what I've already eliminated, it's not as easily feasible to me. However, I am curious as to why you mention that they shouldn't worry about being gluten free? Is that for the sake of simplicity or do you feel that yeast containing gluten isn't as big of a threat as added sugar is? Also, wouldn't unleavened bread automatically be gluten free?

Thanks

#5 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2005 - 03:19 AM

QUOTE(SweetJade1980 @ Feb 22 2005, 03:47 PM)
Know of any herbs that kill yeast?

olive leaf extract... i have a bottle of it right now and im about to start taking two a day along with my recently revamped diet (more protein/veggies/nuts and limited fruits, no grains/legumes/dairy)... i'll also be taking optizinc, milk thistle, fish oil, and a little cod liver oil. oh, and im also taking PD.

i got the olive leaf extract from vitacost.com, the standardized bottle by NSI.

ive read that one of the main active ingredients, oleuropein, is also found in smaller amounts in olive oil... so maybe the olive oil actually kills off yeast when people do their liver flushes...

#6 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2005 - 04:49 AM

QUOTE(flipside @ Feb 22 2005, 02:19 AM)
olive leaf extract... i have a bottle of it right now and im about to start taking two a day along with my recently revamped diet (more protein/veggies/nuts and limited fruits, no grains/legumes/dairy)... i'll also be taking optizinc, milk thistle, fish oil, and a little cod liver oil. oh, and im also taking PD.

i got the olive leaf extract from vitacost.com, the standardized bottle by NSI.

ive read that one of the main active ingredients, oleuropein, is also found in smaller amounts in olive oil... so maybe the olive oil actually kills off yeast when people do their liver flushes...

View Post

Thanks so much for the suggestion. I was thinking of olive leaf extract when I wrote that as I've heard a few members talking about using it. One member said they apply it directly to their acne to help it heal! Anyway, that's an interesting thought about the olive oil...hmm

#7 Jay_68

Jay_68

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2005 - 05:31 AM

QUOTE(SweetJade1980 @ Feb 22 2005, 10:47 AM)

Anyway, I know that some members cleared by following anti-candida or anti-yeast diets, but those are more strict than what I currently follow in a way.  They eliminate whole fruit sugars and with what I've already eliminated, it's not as easily feasible to me.  However, I am curious as to why you mention that they shouldn't worry about being gluten free?  Is that for the sake of simplicity or do you feel that yeast containing gluten isn't as big of a threat as added sugar is?  Also, wouldn't unleavened bread automatically be gluten free?

Thanks

View Post

First of all, I have to emphasize that this is a hypothesis only, and have to be supported by scientific research. What I recomment is to eliminate primarily leavened bread from your diet. Yeasts are part of our normal bowel flora, and it is not worth killing them. Changing your diet into an anti-candida or anti-yeast diet may be beneficial. But please consult with your doctor before starting any other therapy.
I am not worrying about sugar and gluten too much because a healthy individual can eat anything I guess. But you have to keep in mind that overconsumption of anything can case problems. We all have to find the balance! Acne seems to be more a symptom than a disease. Hopefully acne therapy will improve in the near future, and if there is really a connection between yeasts and acne an appropriate therapy will also be established for that. Again, it is very important: do not make experiments on yourself!
As I mentioned before, I believe that acne is more like a symptom, and it is mainly the consequence of a hormonal imbalance, and yeasts may only partly explain it.

#8 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2005 - 06:02 AM

QUOTE(Jay_68 @ Feb 22 2005, 04:31 AM)
First of all, I have to emphasize that this is a hypothesis only, and have to be supported by scientific research. What I recomment is to eliminate primarily leavened bread from your diet. Yeasts are part of our normal bowel flora, and it is not worth killing them. Changing your diet into an anti-candida or anti-yeast diet may be beneficial. But please consult with your doctor before starting any other therapy.
I am not worrying about sugar and gluten too much because a healthy individual can eat anything I guess. But you have to keep in mind that overconsumption of anything can case problems. We all have to find the balance! Acne seems to be more a symptom than a disease. Hopefully acne therapy will improve in the near future, and if there is really a connection between yeasts and acne an appropriate therapy will also be established for that. Again, it is very important: do not make experiments on yourself!
As I mentioned before, I believe that acne is more like a symptom, and it is mainly the consequence of a hormonal imbalance, and yeasts may only partly explain it.

View Post

Oh yeah, I definately agree. I do not believe that acne is its own disease but a sign or symptom of something else wrong or imbalanced in the body. Thanks =)

#9 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:27 AM

Here is another link that explains exactly why gut dysbiosis causes acne, and why, when you have gut dysbiosis, certain foods trigger acne.

BTW everyone...since I was the candida queen, I truly believe that nothing works like Threelac on candida. You don't have to eat so strict when you take Threelac. Sure it's expensive, but worth every penny if you consider the fact that you don't have to drive yourself nuts on a special diet. Do a google if you don't know what Threelac is.

If you have systemic candida, I would say that almost all probiotics on the market aren't going to touch it. Threelac can do in one month what most probiotics NEVER do.

http://www.diagnose-...nd/C583962.html

#10 freerider

freerider

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:50 AM

Sounds like a yeast connection definitely warrants serious consideration. Any idea how this might tie in with the genetic component of acne? We can't ignore the familial patterns. How may yeast overgrowth have a relationship with the more popular hormone imbalance or insulin-resistance theories?

#11 Wickeh

Wickeh

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:53 AM

If yeast causes acne... would you consider brewers yeast a threat? I have been taking it for about 3 weeks together with zinc, flaxseed oil and a multivitamin. Got an initial breakout *but I think thats because I was stupid enough to start trying a facewash from clearasil again*, but it looks like my acne is going away now... I mean I used to have these little zits just on my upper arm just above the elbow and they're fading... I haven't had a single new zit in 3 days now and only got like 3 the week before. So what is your view on this?

#12 Jay_68

Jay_68

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2005 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE(freerider @ Feb 22 2005, 03:50 PM)
Sounds like a yeast connection definitely warrants serious consideration.  Any idea how this might tie in with the genetic component of acne?  We can't ignore the familial patterns.  How may yeast overgrowth have a relationship with the more popular hormone imbalance or insulin-resistance theories?

View Post

Yes, you are right. This more serious than you ever think. But fungal infections are getting more an more in the focus of biomedical research worldwide.
About the genetic factors of acne: this is related to differences in vitamin D metabolish, vitamin D receptor polymorphism and so on.
Hormone imbalance can be explained by the ergosterol-vitamin D theory, but this is just a hypothesis, nothing else.
About insulin-resistance, I have no idea.

#13 Jay_68

Jay_68

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2005 - 09:28 AM

QUOTE(Wickeh @ Feb 22 2005, 03:53 PM)
If yeast causes acne... would you consider brewers yeast a threat? I have been taking it for about 3 weeks together with zinc, flaxseed oil and a multivitamin. Got an initial breakout *but I think thats because I was stupid enough to start trying a facewash from clearasil again*, but it looks like my acne is going away now... I mean I used to have these little zits just on my upper arm just above the elbow and they're fading... I haven't had a single new zit in 3 days now and only got like 3 the week before. So what is your view on this?

View Post

As I know brewer's and baker's yeast are identical.
Check WikiPedia !
My view is that possibly fungal cell death and the absorbed toxins can cause problems. So maybe fresh yeast that survives in your bowel do not cause any trouble for you. And mybe that is why baking leavened bread is not so healthy...

#14 kimbaso

kimbaso

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2005 - 10:15 AM

<b>This is exactly</b> what happened to me after a long dose of tetracycline. I didn't have severe acne until after the antibiotics were done and I never had scarred before either, but the toxins from the candida overgrowth weakened my liver...and here I am.

Although, I must say, eating yogurt is very good for me because it is a probiotic itself and sometimes a calcium (and VD) deficiency can contribute further to acne. Drinking regular milk or cheese is probably not a good idea, but cultured butter and yogurt have helped me a lot.

#15 xmarysue

xmarysue

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2005 - 11:30 AM

i'm pretty sure i was suffering from candida overgrowth because i had nearly all the symptoms (acne,fatigue, on/off antiobiotics for skin for years, sinus issues, aggravation on damp, moist muggy days, strong reaction (headache) from perfumes, cleansers, etc., constipation until recently, bloating, gas, nail infection and occasional blurred vision). this is partially what prompted me to stay on my restricted diet (that involves no refined sugar, complex carbs, wheat or dairy) and to begin probiotics.
since i've taken these measures my skin is currently 100% clear. note it has only been this way for 4 days (was consistently 80% clear for 6 weeks, just recently began probiotics and cleansing with epsom salts). however 4 days in a row with ZERO new breakouts is an all time record for me - and i'm going on 20 years of acne history.
my personal feeling is that it has most to do with my attempts to rebalance my digestive system. however, i realize it's still way too soon for me to make any definite conclusions, but just thought i'd share for what it's worth!

#16 Wickeh

Wickeh

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2005 - 12:16 PM

My skin has only improved since taking brewers yeast so...

#17 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:13 PM

this study showed that candidosis occurs often with acne...

Universitats-Hautklinik, Kiel, BR Deutschland.

We investigated skin diseases associated with mucocutaneous Candida infection by analyzing the clinical records of 44695 in-patients of the department of dermatology of Kiel. For more than eighty skin diseases the relative risk (RR) was calculated by age-and sex-adjusting methods. 1996 patients demonstrated a mucocutaneous candidosis, 14.8% of them being hospitalized because of extensive Candida infection. In patients with dermatomyositis, bullous pemphigus, tinea inguinalis, and condylomata acuminata a Candida infection was observed more than threefold than expected. Furthermore, patients with urticaria, folliculitis, and bullous pemphigoid demonstrated candidosis more than twice as often as control patients. In addition, patients with erysipelas, acne, psoriasis, and atopic dermatitis showed a candidosis significantly more often (RR between 1.3 and 1.6). Some internistic maladies were investigated, too. In patients presenting with diabetes mellitus, heart-insufficiency, hypertension, chronic tonsillitis, and urinary tract infection a mucocutaneous Candida infection was significantly increased.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....st_uids=7630373

#18 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:22 PM

another interesting article...

Pityrosporum folliculitis: diagnosis and management in 6 female adolescents with acne vulgaris.

Ayers K, Sweeney SM, Wiss K.

Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester 01605, USA.

BACKGROUND: Pityrosporum folliculitis is a common inflammatory skin disorder that may mimic acne vulgaris. Some adolescents with recalcitrant follicular pustules or papules may have acne and Pityrosporum folliculitis simultaneously. Clinical response is dependent on treating both conditions. OBJECTIVES: To demonstrate the similarity in clinical manifestation between acne vulgaris and Pityrosporum folliculitis, the benefit of potassium hydroxide preparation, and the benefit of appropriate antifungal therapy. PATIENTS: We describe 6 female adolescents with concurrent Pityrosporum folliculitis infection and acne vulgaris. INTERVENTION: A potassium hydroxide examination was performed on all 6 patients from the exudate of follicular pustules exhibiting spores consistent with yeast. All patients were treated with oral antifungals, and 5 of the 6 patients were also treated with topical antifungals. RESULTS: Six of 6 patients improved with antifungal treatment. All patients also required some ongoing therapy for their acne. CONCLUSIONS: These patients demonstrate that follicular papulopustular inflammation of the face, back, and chest may be due to a combination of acne vulgaris and Pityrosporum folliculitis, a common yet less frequently identified disorder. Symptoms often wax and wane depending on the patient's activities, time of the year, current treatment regimens, and other factors. Pityrosporum folliculitis will often worsen with traditional acne therapy and dramatically respond to antifungal therapy.

#19 Jay_68

Jay_68

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 February 2005 - 04:59 AM

QUOTE(flipside @ Feb 23 2005, 03:22 AM)
another interesting article...

View Post

YES, YES. Is there anybody of the big acne researchers out there reading this topic ? :-) Hopefully, yes.
I started this topic, because I have no chance to collect patients at a dermatology clinic, it seems better to "test the hypothesis" on the net :-)

#20 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 February 2005 - 07:07 AM

Sadly and oddly, derms keep people on antibiotics indefinitely, making their candida a gazillion times worse. By the time most people figure out that their derm doesn't know what the heck he/she is doing, they research the issue out themselves.

Besides, candida is not benign; it can and does cause a lot of harm to many people, outside of having acne.