#1 Darklord

Darklord

Chances are, i hate you

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2005 - 01:20 PM

From curezone.com:

Walnuts are rich in polyunsaturated fats, Omega oils and vitamins.

Researchers at the University of Wollongong's Smart Foods Centre today released the results of a study that shows how to harness the nutritional value of walnuts, especially the “good� oils, to help people manage their diet better in the early stages of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus.

The research showed that including walnuts in the diet improves the relative amounts of “good� cholesterol in this group of patients.

The research findings are in the December issue of the international journal Diabetes Care, published in the United States.

That's good news for Australia's 1.2 million people suffering from Diabetes, and the further two million estimated to have pre-Diabetes and be at risk of developing the disease.

National Centre of Excellence for Functional Foods and former Smart Foods Centre Director Professor Linda Tapsell said the research had demonstrated how a diet including 8-10 walnuts a day delivered the right kinds of fats and fatty acids that might help the body address one of the problems associated with early stage Type 2 Diabetes - insulin resistance - which hinders the absorption of glucose from the bloodstream into human cells.

“We understood the relationship between insulin resistance and fatty acids, and when we looked at the composition of walnuts we thought that they could be useful in delivering the right kinds of fatty acids. We knew walnuts contained substantial amounts of these fats, so our challenge was to prove that the theoretical benefits were real,� Professor Tapsell said.

[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#2 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2005 - 01:39 PM

Ya, this has been up a few times. Quite a few people can't eat walnuts though(It's just about as common as a peanut allergy). Also some people for reasons I can't remember broke out worse with walnuts.

Of course if you can take nuts, there's nothing better than walnuts, almonds, etc...

As for fatty acids though, fish oil, flax oil, etc... still have much more.

#3 Darklord

Darklord

Chances are, i hate you

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2005 - 01:55 PM

Oh right,
I dont really want to risk it then, i might take some of those oils though.

Thx,
Tom
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#4 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2005 - 03:07 PM

No by all means, try it. If it works, you will have a better tasting, cheaper alternative to fish oils and flax oils(Even though they too are supposed to have a nutty flavour).

Another nut you can try that has the same fats as well as male benefiting minerals like selenium(One of the highest sources) is brazil nuts. Plus they taste great as well (IMO).

Fish oils and flax seed oils are great but if nuts work for you than you have an easy way to consume the healthy omegas without refrigeration, etc... When I go travelling again, I'll make sure to eat plenty of nuts(Although I'll be travelling in Asia and the Mediterranean so I don't think fish or other oils with be a problem).

Eventually you'll find something that works and if you're one of the lucky ones it will be somethign like only eating 10 walnuts a day or 5 brazil nuts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users