Photo

Mercury and Iodine

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Darklord

Darklord

Chances are, i hate you

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2005 - 09:45 AM

Hey all,
I have been getting confused about what fish is ok to eat, so i googled it and this is the amount of mercury is contained for common fish:

Mean mercury level in parts per million (ppm):

Canned tuna (light) = 0.12
Shrimp ND* = 0.27
Pollock = 0.06
Salmon (fresh,frozen) = 0.01
Cod = 0.11
Catfish = 0.05
Clams = ND*
Flounder or sole = 0.05
Crabs = 0.06
Scallops = 0.05

Other common seafoods:

Mean mercury level in
parts per million (ppm)

Lobster = 0.31
Grouper = 0.55
Halibut = 0.26
Oysters = ND*
Mahi mahi = 0.19
Herring = 0.04

Fish with the highest levels of mercury (about 1 ppm Hg):

Mean mercury level in
parts per million (ppm)

Shark = 0.99
Swordfish = 0.97
Tilefish (golden bass or golden snapper) = 1.45
King mackerel = 0.73

I also was wondering about iodine and i found that foods that suppress iodine are things like cabbage, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, and soya beans.

So maybe if i eat fish then eat lots of these foods it will supress the iodine absorbsion from the fish.

Tom :-)
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#2 claud

claud

(^0^)/ kawaii ne?

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 228
About Me

Posted 20 February 2005 - 09:48 AM

So that means is okay to eat those vegetables. Are there safe?

#3 Darklord

Darklord

Chances are, i hate you

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2005 - 09:50 AM

If you are avoiding iodine then i guess that they are, yep.

Tom

#4 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2005 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE(WindWaker* @ Feb 20 2005, 08:45 AM)
Hey all,
I have been getting confused about what fish is ok to eat, so i googled it and this is the amount of mercury is contained for common fish:

Mean mercury level in parts per million (ppm):

Canned tuna (light) = 0.12
Shrimp ND* = 0.27
Pollock = 0.06
Salmon (fresh,frozen) = 0.01
Cod = 0.11
Catfish = 0.05
Clams = ND*
Flounder or sole = 0.05
Crabs = 0.06
Scallops = 0.05

Other common seafoods:

Mean mercury level in
parts per million (ppm)

Lobster = 0.31
Grouper = 0.55
Halibut = 0.26
Oysters = ND*
Mahi mahi = 0.19
Herring = 0.04
Fish with the highest levels of mercury (about 1 ppm Hg):

Mean mercury level in
parts per million (ppm)

Shark = 0.99
Swordfish = 0.97
Tilefish (golden bass or golden snapper) = 1.45
King mackerel = 0.73

I also was wondering about iodine and i found that foods that suppress iodine are things like cabbage, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, and soya beans.

So maybe if i eat fish then eat lots of these foods it will supress the iodine absorbsion from the fish.

Tom :-)

View Post

1. Iodine probably won't affect your acne unless you take extremely large amounts.
2. You need iodine
3. Iodine is in pretty much everything. Chicken has more iodine than fish, most veggies have iodine.
4. That idea that if you don't absorb iodine it won't worsen your acne doesn't really make sense. IF the iodine is absorbed, it goes into your thyroid gland as that's the only place that absorbs iodine in your body. Otherwise, the rest would be let out via some other means(skin anyone?). So, if you're preventing the iodine absorption via things like cabbage then more is let out through your skin.
5. I used to think like you, avoiding every food and such. Needless to say, my diet was very weak. If all these foods seem like they cause acne for you then you might look into some internal cleansing instead of punishing yourself by avoiding every single little thing that might seem like it causes your acne.

#5 claud

claud

(^0^)/ kawaii ne?

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 228
About Me

Posted 20 February 2005 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE(SteveLewis @ Feb 20 2005, 08:03 AM)
1. Iodine probably won't affect your acne unless you take extremely large amounts.
2. You need iodine
3. Iodine is in pretty much everything. Chicken has more iodine than fish, most veggies have iodine.
4. That idea that if you don't absorb iodine it won't worsen your acne doesn't really make sense. IF  the iodine is absorbed, it goes into your thyroid gland as that's the only place that absorbs iodine in your body. Otherwise, the rest would be let out via some other means(skin anyone?). So, if you're preventing the iodine absorption via things  like cabbage then more is let out through your skin.
5. I used to think like you, avoiding every food and such. Needless to say, my diet was very weak. If all these foods seem like they cause acne for you then you might look into some internal cleansing instead of punishing yourself by avoiding every single little thing that might seem like it causes your acne.

View Post

Inner cleansing which means Liver flushing right? eusa_angel.gif

I took large amounts of iodine when I took a multivitamin supplement. DANM I was in hell....my poor skin had it coming....

#6 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2005 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE(claud @ Feb 20 2005, 09:44 AM)
Inner cleansing which means Liver flushing right? eusa_angel.gif

I took large amounts of iodine when I took a multivitamin supplement. DANM I was in hell....my poor skin had it coming....

View Post

Yea, it means liver flushing and also pre-liver flushing internal cleanses(http://www.sensibleh...allbladder.html).

#7 Darklord

Darklord

Chances are, i hate you

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2005 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE(SteveLewis @ Feb 20 2005, 04:03 PM)
2. You need iodine
4. That idea that if you don't absorb iodine it won't worsen your acne doesn't really make sense. IF  the iodine is absorbed, it goes into your thyroid gland as that's the only place that absorbs iodine in your body. Otherwise, the rest would be let out via some other means(skin anyone?). So, if you're preventing the iodine absorption via things  like cabbage then more is let out through your skin.

View Post

Oh right, that has cleared up my queries.
I will try cleansing as an experiment and see.

Thx,
Tom

#8 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2005 - 03:24 PM

An adult can handle the type and amount of mercury in tuna and the like. Of course there are two type of mercury and unfortunately just about everythign else has the bad kind, the kind we can't get rid of in any amount and that pools in our brains and organs. These are through things like fillings, household cleansers, exhaust, ect...

The only way to get rid of the mercury stuck in you is to chelate it out. This can be done via IV over a period of months, with cilantro(One of the few thigns that can get mercury past the brain barrier) and tons of fiber and water(As soon as the cilantro gets the mercury moving you have to get it out as quick as possible and that means 2 bowal movements a day and enough water to pee like you're drunk for 3 weeks).

Chlorella helps so you don't reabsorb the mercury.