Photo

breads

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 scottyneedshelp

scottyneedshelp

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 23
About Me

Posted 18 February 2005 - 01:51 PM

i was just wondering why people think bread is bad for you? what is the difference between white / whole wheat bread regarding acne?

#2 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2005 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE(scottyneedshelp @ Feb 18 2005, 02:51 PM)
i was just wondering why people think bread is bad for you? what is the difference between white / whole wheat bread regarding acne?

View Post

I am the mother of a 17 hear old teen, who's acne was very bad. He tried antibiotics - up to 1000 a day, (a year) tazorac, differin, BP, $2000 worth of pdt levulan non ablative laser and NOTHING has worked until we stopped listening to doctors and did research on our own. You HAVE to cut out allllll refined carbohydrates and my son also cut out all dairy. He has stopped all refined carbs such as all breads, chips, sugars, rice, etc... and all dairy. He only eats LOTS of veggies - especially green ones such as broccoli, spinach, bok choy, sprouts, and fruit, especially apples, citrus, plums, peaches and an occasional banana. Lots of beans, sweet potatoes and drinks lots of water. We cook with NO OIL and only eat lean proteins such as fish cooked on George Foreman grill with no oil, chicken breasts, turkey breasts, shrimp and oysters. You have to give this a try. It is very simple. Anything processed and part of our modern culture is OUT. I have been emailing back and forth with Dr. Mann from Australia who has been conducting tests at RMIT on diet and teen boys. This isn't just something I cooked up. Enter "wheat and acne" online and you will find a lot. There's even an article by MSNBC. I hope this helps. It may not be as bad to have real whole grain bread - some- but just cut it all out. You can try it for a few days and you will see a difference. Just tell your mom to only give you veggies that are cooked with no oils, butters, etc..., fresh fruit and lean proteins cooked without oils. IT is that simple. Good luck.

#3 MartinaL

MartinaL

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2005 - 05:28 PM

how is your son's skin now?

#4 Whatsup

Whatsup

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2005 - 05:04 PM

hey Minnymouse, i agree with you

#5 twocanyan

twocanyan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 19 February 2005 - 05:36 PM

What about Rice? or no carbs at all?

#6 Redsquirrel

Redsquirrel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2005 - 05:52 PM

to be honest, i dont find bread affects my acne at all.

Unfourtunatly, I think Rice and Pasta does. Which is a big shame since Curry is like my favorite food. I have managed to go without rice (as in curry) for about 4 weeks though.

#7 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2005 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE(Redsquirrel @ Feb 19 2005, 04:52 PM)
to be honest, i dont find bread affects my acne at all.

Unfourtunatly, I think Rice and Pasta does. Which is a big shame since Curry is like my favorite food. I have managed to go without  rice (as in curry) for about 4 weeks though.

View Post

Hey =)

Based purely on the carbohydrate content (including added sugars) I can't figure out why Bread would NOT, but rice and "pasta" would. Which of the following are what you are consuming?

Bread
100% Whole Grain Wheat or Multi-Grain with NO added sugars

100% Whole Grain Wheat or Multi-Grain Bread w/ added sucrose/glucose/sugar/honey

!00% Whole Grain Wheat or Multi-Grain Bread w/added sugars incl. Corn Syrup or Fructose or Fruit Juice

Whole Wheat Bread w/ added sucrose/glucose/sugar/honey

Whole Wheat Bread w/added sugars incl. Corn Syrup or Fructose or Fruit Juice

White Bread w/added sugars

Pasta

White/yellow = refined wheat pasta

Brown/yellow = 100% whole grain wheat (durum, semolina, triticale, etc) pasta

Rice
Whole Grain Brown = many varieties

Wild

White = refined, not naturally white

So basically what I'm trying to understand, is based on the ingredients in pasta vs. bread, how can pasta do it and not bread? Unless it's something else that's added to the pasta (the sauce?) or you are eating more servings of pasta than bread. Any thoughts?

#8 Avi

Avi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2005 - 11:28 PM

I don't care if breads or pasta makes me break out, even though i know it doesnt, they are part of my lifestyle and i am not gonna stop eatin them razz.gif

#9 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:41 AM

QUOTE(MartinaL @ Feb 18 2005, 06:28 PM)
how is your son's skin now?

View Post

OMG - last night we went to a Celtic performance and he got dressed in a nice green plaid shirt and he looked awesome! (course his had his Pink Floyd Animal shirt under it) He had one active place on his face that was already subsiding and I convinced him it was still within his manhood to use a little concealer. Right before starting the "diet" he would spend several minutes a day popping huge white headed cysts and walking around holding a tissue to his face. NO MORE! Hey, thanks for asking!

#10 olive415

olive415

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:49 AM

I presonally would never give up carbs. Your brain's favorite food is glucose and carbs are the primary source. It hink you have to choose them smartly though. I think that the ingredients can be the same but it depends on GI. For example if you read Dr. weil's books he's o-kay with pasta as long as it's al dente. Your body has to work harder to digest it and you don't get a big sugar rush. Whole grains are great for your overall health, so when choosing bread make sure it is 100% whole grain. Some "wheat" breads are just the same as white bread except for molassess to make them look dark.

#11 Desperateforhelp

Desperateforhelp

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:56 AM

BREAD IS BAD?

THATS ALL I KEEP HEARING...

IF SO THEN WHAT CAN I SUBSTITUTE WITH BREAD. AT LEAST BREAD GIVES A FULL FEELING, CANT SAY THAT OF CRACKERS

#12 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE(olive415 @ Mar 18 2005, 08:49 AM)
I presonally would never give up carbs. Your brain's favorite food is glucose and carbs are the primary source. It hink you have to choose them smartly though. I think that the ingredients can be the same but it depends on GI. For example if you read Dr. weil's books he's o-kay with pasta as long as it's al dente. Your body has to work harder to digest it and you don't get a big sugar rush. Whole grains are great for your overall health, so when choosing bread make sure it is 100% whole grain. Some "wheat" breads are just the same as white bread except for molassess to make them look dark.

View Post

You are correct. No one said give up carbs. You are right, they are necessary. What we are saying is to get your carbs from fruits and vegetables and if you have grains, have whole grains. Some people are very sensitive to grains or they don't understand the difference between what you are saying and a white hamburger bun from Wendy's. For them I say, NO breads. if you are not one of them then go for it - just stick to the less processed ones like whole grain breads without added sugars and oils, sprouted grain tortillas, long grain brown basmati rice, quinoa, amaranth, millet, barley, rye, the list goes on. Just don't eat twinkies, little debbies, chips, buns, cookies, etc.... get it as close to its natural state as possible. But don't give up fruits and vegetables as your main source of carbs.

#13 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:16 AM

QUOTE(Desperateforhelp @ Mar 18 2005, 08:56 AM)
BREAD IS BAD?

THATS ALL I KEEP HEARING...

IF SO THEN WHAT CAN I SUBSTITUTE WITH BREAD. AT LEAST BREAD GIVES A FULL FEELING, CANT SAY THAT OF CRACKERS

View Post

It isn't the "breads". Crackers aren't better than breads. It is processed refined breads, crackers, cookies, etc.... just keep reading other posts and you'll make the connection. You have to get food as close to its natural state as possible.

#14 valwen

valwen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2005 - 01:25 PM

I eat non-instant oatmeal in place of bread. I add a full cup of oatmeal to boiling water (the amount of water in a 16.9 oz bottle of aquafina) and cook it until its creamy. I add a bit of brown sugar. It fills me up well and keeps me from craving carbs. Oatmeal is a good source of fiber. The body digests it slower and it has a lower GI value in comparison to processed carbs like spaghetti.

#15 geezer

geezer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2005 - 03:29 PM

I have recently replaced breads with oatmeal in my breakfast. Can somebody tell me what is the difference of instant and non-instant oatmeal? I first used oatmeal that had to be cooked for 5 minutes but then I switched it to oatmeal that has to be cooked for 10 minutes. I thought it might be less processed and therefore better. No?

I took this from the Carbohydrates thread:

Medium Glycemic Foods (55-70 on the scale)

* White bread 70

* Instant oatmeal 66

* Table sugar 65

* Raisins 64

* Ice cream 61

* Granola bar 61

* Blueberry muffin 59

* White rice 56

* Brown rice 55

The thing that bugs me here is that instant oatmeal has much higher GI than white rice. In my 10 minute oatmeal box there is stamements of many benefits and one of them is that it keeps your blood sugar balanced for a long time. I guess non-refined oatmeal at least should a lot healthier than white rice? Is brown rice considered better than white rice only because it is non-refined? GI seems to be almost same.

Damn, I just read what I wrote and I seem to have severe problems in expressing my thoughts.

Let me put it simple:

instant oatmeal = bad, because refined
non-instant oatmeal = good
white rice = bad, because refined
brown rice = good
bread = bad, because refined
whole grain bread = good

Right?

#16 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2005 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE(geezer @ Mar 18 2005, 04:29 PM)
I have recently replaced breads with oatmeal in my breakfast. Can somebody tell me what is the difference of instant and non-instant oatmeal? I first used oatmeal that had to be cooked for 5 minutes but then I switched it to oatmeal that has to be cooked for 10 minutes. I thought it might be less processed and therefore better. No?

I took this from the Carbohydrates thread:

Medium Glycemic Foods (55-70 on the scale)

* White bread 70

* Instant oatmeal 66

* Table sugar 65

* Raisins 64

* Ice cream 61

* Granola bar 61

* Blueberry muffin 59

* White rice 56

* Brown rice 55

The thing that bugs me here is that instant oatmeal has much higher GI than white rice. In my 10 minute oatmeal box there is stamements of many benefits and one of them is that it keeps your blood sugar balanced for a long time. I guess non-refined oatmeal at least should a lot healthier than white rice? Is brown rice considered better than white rice only because it is non-refined? GI seems to be almost same.

Damn, I just read what I wrote and I seem to have severe problems in expressing my thoughts.

Let me put it simple:

instant oatmeal = bad, because refined
non-instant oatmeal = good
white rice = bad, because refined
brown rice = good
bread = bad, because refined
whole grain bread = good

Right?

View Post

I think you expressed yourself fine and you seem to understand what is best to eat. Old Fashioned oats in the tall container are the same as Instant Oats in the tall container EXCEPT the instant are ground more. The only ingredient in both is OATS. You would definetely do best to stick with either of them in place of those little packages with sugar and fake flavoring. I personally like the Old Fashioned ones and I add chopped apple, cinnamon, raisins and a few walnuts.

Rice - I get long grained brown basmati rice. It has a nutty taste and I bought a rice steamer and it is awesome. You just put in rice then water and salt to taste turn it on and it knows when it is cooked and keeps it warm.

Bread - bread companies try to fool us. If you must eat bread, get the sprouted grain variety or Sugar Busters multigrain loaf at the sugarbusters web site. It is very good and no sugar and whole grains.

My son stays clear of bread right now and really hasn't eaten grains even rice lately- doesn' t hurt after 17 years of bread to lay off a while. I am sure he may go back to whole grains sometime, but for now he is seeing results so he's gonna wait. Main thing to remember is modern processed foods - hunny buns, hamburger, hot dog buns, taco shells, chips, crackers, cookies, crunch n munch, chex mix, candy bars, soda, ice cream - if you skip all those and stick with whole grains mentioned above, then you'll be better off health wise acne or not. Once you are off sugar a while, fruit tastes even more sweet.

Plums are coming into season now and they are soooo good for your skin. As are peaches and berries. Eat alllll you want of them.

#17 arya

arya

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:05 PM

Actually, I thought it didn't matter whether the bread was 100% whole wheat or whatever. I heard that it's this protein called GLUTEN in any wheat product (be that bread, pasta, crackers, etc etc.) that's supposed to be bad for your skin/acne.

#18 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE(arya @ Mar 18 2005, 07:05 PM)
Actually, I thought it didn't matter whether the bread was 100% whole wheat or whatever. I heard that it's this protein called GLUTEN in any wheat product (be that bread, pasta, crackers, etc etc.) that's supposed to be bad for your skin/acne.

View Post

Some people it is and for others it isn't. You won't know until you try avoiding one or the other. However if it is gluten, then theoretically by consuming 100% fully sprouted breads with no added gluten, you should be able to handle wheat, etc again. Of course, you don't know if those products are 100% sprouted, but again, "trial and error" yields the best answer.

#19 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE(Minnym0use @ Mar 18 2005, 02:49 PM)
I think you expressed yourself fine and you seem to understand what is best to eat.  Old Fashioned oats in the tall container are the same as Instant Oats in the tall container EXCEPT the instant are ground more.  The only ingredient in both is OATS.  You would definetely do best to stick with either of them in place of those little packages with sugar and fake flavoring.  I personally like the Old Fashioned ones and I add chopped apple, cinnamon, raisins and a few walnuts.

Rice - I get long grained brown basmati rice.  It has a nutty taste and I bought a rice steamer and it is awesome.  You just put in rice then water and salt to taste turn it on and it knows when it is cooked and keeps it warm.

Bread - bread companies try to fool us.  If you must eat bread, get the sprouted grain variety or Sugar Busters multigrain loaf at the sugarbusters web site.  It is very good and no sugar and whole grains.

My son stays clear of bread right now and really hasn't eaten grains even rice lately- doesn' t hurt after 17 years of bread to lay off a while.  I am sure he may go back to whole grains sometime, but for now he is seeing results so he's gonna wait.  Main thing to remember is modern processed foods - hunny buns, hamburger, hot dog buns, taco shells, chips, crackers, cookies, crunch n munch, chex mix, candy bars, soda, ice  cream - if you skip all those and stick with whole grains mentioned above, then you'll be better off health wise acne or not.  Once you are off sugar a while, fruit tastes even more sweet.

Plums are coming into season now and they are soooo good for your skin.  As are peaches and berries.  Eat alllll you want of them.

View Post

For those that want to hang on to wheat bread, the sugarbusters is a GREAT source of non-refined unsweetened breads. However, some of the recipes have shortening which means trans fats. So if anyone here is concerned about pore size, I wouldn't consume those particular breads very often or at all.

#20 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2005 - 08:44 AM

QUOTE(SweetJade1980 @ Mar 18 2005, 09:18 PM)
For those that want to hang on to wheat bread, the sugarbusters is a GREAT source of non-refined unsweetened breads.  However, some of the recipes have shortening which means trans fats.  So if anyone here is concerned about pore size, I wouldn't consume those particular breads very often or at all.

View Post

SO TRUE on the shortening for Sugar Busters. I bought the Flax and was telling myself I knew better than to do that without first examining the ingredients list -shortening - UGH! Therefore, when I do purchase their breads, I find that the Multi Grain Loaf is the best. Go to Sugar Busters.com