Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

breads

20 posts in this topic

i was just wondering why people think bread is bad for you? what is the difference between white / whole wheat bread regarding acne?

scottmicacchi@hotmail.com

keithsm4n - aim

i was just wondering why people think bread is bad for you? what is the difference between white / whole wheat bread regarding acne?

"Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place."

Mark Twain

how is your son's skin now?

[image removed by sigbot--see board rules][image removed by sigbot--see board rules][image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

to be honest, i dont find bread affects my acne at all.

Unfourtunatly, I think Rice and Pasta does. Which is a big shame since Curry is like my favorite food. I have managed to go without rice (as in curry) for about 4 weeks though.

to be honest, i dont find bread affects my acne at all.

Unfourtunatly, I think Rice and Pasta does. Which is a big shame since Curry is like my favorite food. I have managed to go without  rice (as in curry) for about 4 weeks though.

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)

* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)

* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

* Strengthen/Repair GI - Immune health

Research:

* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).

* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

I don't care if breads or pasta makes me break out, even though i know it doesnt, they are part of my lifestyle and i am not gonna stop eatin them razz.gif

how is your son's skin now?

"Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place."

Mark Twain

I presonally would never give up carbs. Your brain's favorite food is glucose and carbs are the primary source. It hink you have to choose them smartly though. I think that the ingredients can be the same but it depends on GI. For example if you read Dr. weil's books he's o-kay with pasta as long as it's al dente. Your body has to work harder to digest it and you don't get a big sugar rush. Whole grains are great for your overall health, so when choosing bread make sure it is 100% whole grain. Some "wheat" breads are just the same as white bread except for molassess to make them look dark.

I presonally would never give up carbs. Your brain's favorite food is glucose and carbs are the primary source. It hink you have to choose them smartly though. I think that the ingredients can be the same but it depends on GI. For example if you read Dr. weil's books he's o-kay with pasta as long as it's al dente. Your body has to work harder to digest it and you don't get a big sugar rush. Whole grains are great for your overall health, so when choosing bread make sure it is 100% whole grain. Some "wheat" breads are just the same as white bread except for molassess to make them look dark.

Mark Twain

BREAD IS BAD?

THATS ALL I KEEP HEARING...

IF SO THEN WHAT CAN I SUBSTITUTE WITH BREAD. AT LEAST BREAD GIVES A FULL FEELING, CANT SAY THAT OF CRACKERS

Mark Twain

IF SO THEN WHAT CAN I SUBSTITUTE WITH BREAD. AT LEAST BREAD GIVES A FULL FEELING, CANT SAY THAT OF CRACKERS

I have recently replaced breads with oatmeal in my breakfast. Can somebody tell me what is the difference of instant and non-instant oatmeal? I first used oatmeal that had to be cooked for 5 minutes but then I switched it to oatmeal that has to be cooked for 10 minutes. I thought it might be less processed and therefore better. No?

I took this from the Carbohydrates thread:

Medium Glycemic Foods (55-70 on the scale)

* White bread 70

* Instant oatmeal 66

* Table sugar 65

* Raisins 64

* Ice cream 61

* Granola bar 61

* Blueberry muffin 59

* White rice 56

* Brown rice 55

The thing that bugs me here is that instant oatmeal has much higher GI than white rice. In my 10 minute oatmeal box there is stamements of many benefits and one of them is that it keeps your blood sugar balanced for a long time. I guess non-refined oatmeal at least should a lot healthier than white rice? Is brown rice considered better than white rice only because it is non-refined? GI seems to be almost same.

Damn, I just read what I wrote and I seem to have severe problems in expressing my thoughts.

Let me put it simple:

instant oatmeal = bad, because refined

non-instant oatmeal = good

white rice = bad, because refined

brown rice = good

bread = bad, because refined

whole grain bread = good

Right?

I have recently replaced breads with oatmeal in my breakfast. Can somebody tell me what is the difference of instant and non-instant oatmeal? I first used oatmeal that had to be cooked for 5 minutes but then I switched it to oatmeal that has to be cooked for 10 minutes. I thought it might be less processed and therefore better. No?

I took this from the Carbohydrates thread:

Medium Glycemic Foods (55-70 on the scale)

* White bread 70

* Instant oatmeal 66

* Table sugar 65

* Raisins 64

* Ice cream 61

* Granola bar 61

* Blueberry muffin 59

* White rice 56

* Brown rice 55

The thing that bugs me here is that instant oatmeal has much higher GI than white rice. In my 10 minute oatmeal box there is stamements of many benefits and one of them is that it keeps your blood sugar balanced for a long time. I guess non-refined oatmeal at least should a lot healthier than white rice? Is brown rice considered better than white rice only because it is non-refined? GI seems to be almost same.

Damn, I just read what I wrote and I seem to have severe problems in expressing my thoughts.

Let me put it simple:

instant oatmeal = bad, because refined

non-instant oatmeal = good

white rice = bad, because refined

brown rice = good

bread = bad, because refined

whole grain bread = good

Right?

Mark Twain

Actually, I thought it didn't matter whether the bread was 100% whole wheat or whatever. I heard that it's this protein called GLUTEN in any wheat product (be that bread, pasta, crackers, etc etc.) that's supposed to be bad for your skin/acne.

Actually, I thought it didn't matter whether the bread was 100% whole wheat or whatever. I heard that it's this protein called GLUTEN in any wheat product (be that bread, pasta, crackers, etc etc.) that's supposed to be bad for your skin/acne.

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)

* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)

* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).

* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

I think you expressed yourself fine and you seem to understand what is best to eat.  Old Fashioned oats in the tall container are the same as Instant Oats in the tall container EXCEPT the instant are ground more.  The only ingredient in both is OATS.  You would definetely do best to stick with either of them in place of those little packages with sugar and fake flavoring.  I personally like the Old Fashioned ones and I add chopped apple, cinnamon, raisins and a few walnuts.

Rice - I get long grained brown basmati rice.  It has a nutty taste and I bought a rice steamer and it is awesome.  You just put in rice then water and salt to taste turn it on and it knows when it is cooked and keeps it warm.

Bread - bread companies try to fool us.  If you must eat bread, get the sprouted grain variety or Sugar Busters multigrain loaf at the sugarbusters web site.  It is very good and no sugar and whole grains.

My son stays clear of bread right now and really hasn't eaten grains even rice lately- doesn' t hurt after 17 years of bread to lay off a while.  I am sure he may go back to whole grains sometime, but for now he is seeing results so he's gonna wait.  Main thing to remember is modern processed foods - hunny buns, hamburger, hot dog buns, taco shells, chips, crackers, cookies, crunch n munch, chex mix, candy bars, soda, ice  cream - if you skip all those and stick with whole grains mentioned above, then you'll be better off health wise acne or not.  Once you are off sugar a while, fruit tastes even more sweet.

Plums are coming into season now and they are soooo good for your skin.  As are peaches and berries.  Eat alllll you want of them.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

For those that want to hang on to wheat bread, the sugarbusters is a GREAT source of non-refined unsweetened breads.  However, some of the recipes have shortening which means trans fats.  So if anyone here is concerned about pore size, I wouldn't consume those particular breads very often or at all.

Mark Twain