Photo

Excuse my ignorance? Diet and Acne??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#21 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2005 - 03:51 PM

Blackbirdbeatle,
I said exercise was PREscripted, as in prescribed, and it should be, but it's sad that is has to be. What I meant is that people hear 30min/5 days a week and they go out there or to a gym with their watch and count the agonizing minutes. Of course not everyone does it this way, but many people do because they just haven't grown up in a society that fosters a naturally active lifestyle. The people like you who are athletically inclined and live in a farm community are not usually the ones who need to get out there and exercise, which is why I say things like biking/walking to work/school etc. are good. It gets you doing something w/o thinking about the fact that it is "exercise." It's just getting where you need to go.
I also climb mountains, do yoga and work on an organic farm, which is 8hr days of sustained exercise, lifting crates and bags of veggies, shoveling, and crawling around in good soil.

I don't see how people here are saying that wheat is "unhealthy." Saying that omitting it from their diet cleared their acne isn't saying it's unhealthy. It's saying "hey here is something that helped clear my acne" Isn't that why we're all here in the first place?

#22 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2005 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE(bigglesworth @ Feb 19 2005, 02:07 PM)

It would be more accurate to say that it is PROBABLE and LIKELY that diet does not significantly affect the majority of people suffering from acne.  But I do not care what affects the majority of people, I care about what affects ME.  Fact is, each of our bodies is unique.  That is why prescription medications say things like, "possible side effects include blah blah blah...".  Some people will get those side effects, some won't, no way to tell until you try because everybody's body is different.

View Post

Absolutely Beautiful!

#23 bigglesworth

bigglesworth

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2005 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE(SweetJade1980 @ Feb 19 2005, 05:24 PM)
Absolutely Beautiful!

View Post

Thank you for saying so, you just made my day! I just want to be like Dan and help as many people as possible.

#24 sneezy

sneezy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2005 - 01:46 AM

QUOTE(bigglesworth @ Feb 20 2005, 08:07 AM)
This is a very good question, actually.

Dermatologists have consistently told me that there is no evidence that diet affects acne.  However, you have to understand what this means in terms of medical research.  It only means that nobody has PROVEN diet affects acne through medical studies.  Next week somebody could complete a study that does prove diet affects acne, but until that happens, the Derms will say there is no connection.  They are simply echoing what the mainstream research says.

It would be more accurate to say that it is PROBABLE and LIKELY that diet does not significantly affect the majority of people suffering from acne.  But I do not care what affects the majority of people, I care about what affects ME.  Fact is, each of our bodies is unique.  That is why prescription medications say things like, "possible side effects include blah blah blah...".  Some people will get those side effects, some won't, no way to tell until you try because everybody's body is different.

In my case, I have learned by trial and error that some foods, like french fries and chocolate, make me break out.  So I avoid them.  The Derms can kiss my ass because it is plainly clear that one precedes the other for my body.  I suggest you experiment with your diet and observe your skin's condition.  Be consistent about staying on Dan's regimen while you do this so that you know any skin changes are caused by the diet and not changing your skin care methods.

Let us know on the boards your results.

View Post

Hmm yep, thanks for your insightful post, this is what I thought, about different people having different reactions to different foods, is there any one easy way to tell what you're allergic too or what does actually change your skin condition. I'm guessing no, just trial and error?

#25 bigglesworth

bigglesworth

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2005 - 02:13 AM

QUOTE(sneezy @ Feb 21 2005, 12:46 AM)
Hmm yep, thanks for your insightful post, this is what I thought, about different people having different reactions to different foods, is there any one easy way to tell what you're allergic too or what does actually change your skin condition. I'm guessing no, just trial and error?

View Post

It is trial and error, but there are lots of hints on where to begin. To take an extreme example, I've never heard of anyone who breaks out from eating fruits or vegetables. But lots of people break out from chocolate, brownies, ice cream, excess sugar, french fries, potato chips, etc. Generally the foods that will give you acne are not healthy ones anyway, so you get an added benefit of improved eating habits and better overall health.

Last night I picked up a chicken burrito and tortilla chips from the local mexican grill. This morning, 4 new zits. So I put that on my list of no-no's.

Actually a good idea for a thread would be for people to list all foods that cause them problems with acne. That would give us all a better idea of what to watch for (since I only listed the obvious foods above).

#26 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2005 - 05:18 AM

Here's some people's comments from this website: http://www.mcvitamin...on/00000031.htm

When I eat products with wheat or dairy, my skin breaks out. It seems to effect the oil glands in my skin. If I have whole wheat pasta, ice cream, or a few beers, I will certainly have some outbreaks in a couple of days.

Has anyone else experienced this? What do you do about it? I'm tired of avoiding these foods.

Thanks.

Brian  - April 2003

There is nothing you can do about. Just avoid these products and be happy you have some control over it. I can't eat anything with corn, wheat, soy, egg to some degree, dairy, chocolate, coffee and strawberries without having some kind of reaction on my face. That's life! At least you don't have something worse, that's how I look at it. - May 2003

My face has been a complete nightmare for the last three years. One side more than the other. I have not had any dairy in the last two weeks and have notice a considerable difference. I don't think dairy is good for anyone.  June 2003

i dont think there is any other way to avoid outbreaks than to avoid the food in the first place... jus picture the food as one huge painful pus-filled spot on your nose... it's worth it the deprivation! Remember, once in awhile doesnt do any harm though. - Sep 2003

I also tend to find that wheat affects my skin. It certainly clears up when I avoid it. Citrus fruit and caffeine (including that in chocolate) makes my skin itch. However, I don't miss wheat and I just limit my intake of cirtus and caffeine. I don't find it a problem - it took me a long time to gradually cut out wheat though as it made me depressed initially. - Jan 2004

yes. i seem to have the same problem. dairy and possibly wheat, also, cause acne. I've just become aware of that fact. After consuming diary the following three days my skin becomes very oily and acne seems to follow on the 3rd/4th day because my skin is overproducing oil. I've spent quite a bit of time and money with dermaltoligsts and I have never one time heard that dairy could cause acne. It's rather frustrating. - July 2004

Yes, I have experienced this. I have virtually cut out wheat, sugar and coffee for a year now, and my skin is better than it has been in a very long time. I have tried every medication/antibiotic under the sun, and i am much happier just controlling my diet. - Jan 2005

#27 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2005 - 05:54 AM

I think that the below article is a bit erroneous as it associates acne with a food allergy. Of course it mentions that we do not know all there is about food and food allergies so perhaps some people's acne is a food allergy, but until that has been defined I will continue to think of most of our as either due to either Glucose Intolerance or Food Intolerance (as this allows for the delayed reaction seen as long as 2 weeks after ingestion of a particular food). Of course, it is very rare for me, but there is something that I eat that actually gives me a few tiny/small red pimples but I can't pinpoint for the life of me what it could be.

Food Allergy Solutions Review
News, Ideas & Strategies to Improve Your Health

February 2004

Acne: How Food Can Cause It
Acne may be one of the most common conditions known to humans. It can be embarrassing, frustrating, and downright unfair. Fortunately, most of the time, it is also avoidable.

The Traditional View of Acne and Its Treatment

Most people assume that getting acne is a normal part of life. But why do some people get acne when others do not? And why do certain people have such bad cases of acne? Commercial treatments for acne focus on keeping the skin clean and clearing clogged pores. This sounds reasonable, but again, why do some people have to obsessively clean their skin when others do not? And why do some people cleanse, exfoliate, deep clean and still get acne?

What's Wrong with this Approach to Acne?

The real problem with this approach to acne is that acne develops from inside the body, not outside. The skin is an organ, and it is an organ of elimination. We eliminate waste products through our skin, just as we loose minerals when we sweat.

Too many toxins inside the body can lead to inflammation in the skin resulting in clogged pores and acne. In order to treat the cause of the acne we must first remove the toxins.

Why Do Antibiotics Help, but Only Temporarily?

The inflamed and clogged pores of acne become infected. This is what causes puss. Antibiotics may help treat this infection. Unfortunately, acne comes back when the antibiotics are discontinued because the underlying cause that leads to inflammation and clogged pores, toxins in the body, still exists.

What Really Causes Acne?
A majority of acne cases, as well as many other skin blemishes, are caused by food allergies. Hormone imbalances may also play a role, but are largely over-rated. Fortunately both are treatable.

How Do Food Allergies Cause Acne?

Food allergies are the number one cause of acne, and the worse the acne the more likely food allergies are involved. Eating a food to which the body is allergic leads to a continuous toxic reaction. In such a case the immune system fights the food as if it were an invading organism. This can cause inflammation in the skin (and many other conditions), as well as the need to eliminate the toxin.

What Foods Cause Acne?

There isn’t just one food that causes acne. Any food allergy is capable of causing acne. However, the most common cause of acne that I see in my practice is dairy products.

Why Is It So Difficult to Recognize One's Own Food Allergy?
This is problematic because of the often delayed nature of food allergies. Allergy symptoms may show up hours or even a day later, after a food is well absorbed into your system. And acne generally doesn’t come and go quickly enough to be associated with food.

This difficulty is compounded by the fact that certain foods, such as dairy and wheat, are so prevalent in our diet that many people eat them nearly every day. Therefore connecting your symptoms with your eating habits is often nearly impossible.

What Causes a Food Allergy?

It is most likely that food allergies are genetically predetermined. In the big picture, humans have only recently introduced many current day foods into the diet, so it’s not surprising that the immune system doesn’t recognize every food as a friendly substance.

However, we undoubtedly do not understand everything there is to know about food or food allergies.

How Do I Determine if I Have a Food Allergy?

The only sure way to determine if you have a food allergy is to have your blood tested for antibodies to a variety of foods. This is done with an ELISA Food Allergy Panel, which measures your immune response to approximately 100 different foods.

If you experience acne be sure to call 425-398-1254 to schedule an appointment.

Acne Case Studies
Case #1: 15 year old male with severe facial acne. This patient had undergone several rounds of antibiotics, which had temporarily treated his acne. However, the acne continued to return. ELISA food allergy testing demonstrated a high antibody reaction to several foods, including dairy and eggs. The removal of the offending foods resulted in noticeable improvement within 2 weeks, and over several weeks the patient’s his skin had cleared for good.

Case #1: 25 year old male with acne, predominantly on the back. This patient had experienced back acne and mild facial acne since his early teenage years. He also experience periodic digestive problems, including diarrhea, and had fatigue and frequent itchy skin. Following food allergy testing and the removal of gluten and dairy, both of which were positive, his acne gradually cleared and his other symptoms resolved.

Case #1: 20 year old female patient with acne. Patient was otherwise very healthy and ate a healthy diet. ELISA food allergy testing demonstrated high antibodies to dairy. The removal of dairy from her diet resulted in the clearing of her skin.

No More Acne!
http://www.foodaller...y-news0402.html

I bolded some of those areas because I wanted to pinpoint how anyone on this board that consumes a possible culprit on a daily basis in no way can make a claim that it Does NOT affect their skin until they eliminate it 100%. I have made this mistake myself and trust me, there's a big difference between consuming something 100%, 25% & 0% and until you eliminate it entirely you will NEVER know if it truly affects you.

Along with the above, there was mentioning of an immune reaction, which could result in regular acne or that ugly cystic/nodular type, and once you eliminate a food item that gives you cystic acne, you are well advised to permanently avoid it. Why??? Well, see once you give up that food item, your body has healed itself and is now better prepared to handle this invader or irritant the next time it sees it. That means it may very well respond much more aggressively than it did before. Hence you may find that that cystic acne you once had now sticks around for 2, 4, or 6 weeks, along with leaving red/brown marks, instead of its usual 1 - 2 weeks. Sux, but it's a very GOOD way to get people to stop "cheating"

Another tip:
After eating a possible culprit, note what type of acne, how long it took to form, and how long before it disappears to help you figure it out what may have caused it.

Ex:
2 - 3 days for certain types of acne to appear like tiny "sugar pimples", pimples, bumps (can take 1 - 3 days to disappear)

5 - 7 days for cystic acne or nodules to appear (can take 2 - 6 weeks to dissappear)

HTH