Photo

Excuse my ignorance? Diet and Acne??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 sneezy

sneezy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2005 - 07:04 AM

Hi,

I'm a new visitor to this site and like most of you most of you probably were at some stage, am on Dan's BP regimen.

Now, I had thought I researched acne and all the problems, causes etc pretty well and grew a lot of faith in this site after getting not amazing but immediate slight results from the BP. But I always read that there was no evidence that diet and acne were related in any way? Maybe I hadn't researched well enough...

I'm always getting told stuff like chocolate and soft drinks will make my condition worse but had always replied with "Diet and acne are not related, there is no proof" Now I do drink softdrink, eat chocolate etc etc. I'm not overweight, maybe even a little underweight, so is there any relation at all between diet and acne that has been proven.

Sorry if this is really a stupid question but anyone that wishes to reply with a helpful post is welcome, this isn't meant to start a big flaming war.

Thanks and I'm glad to be here, hope to see you all around eusa_angel.gif

#2 xXillusion

xXillusion

banned

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2005 - 08:18 AM

well I think the fact that I ate a whole bag of kisses candies in 9th grade and broke out like hell the next day, proves something.
Oh and another time I had 5 half a liter bottles of coke and the next day I had the worst break out again! It proves something too.
Now if I eat chocolate, it's one candy bar a day and diet soft drinks.

#3 clayjar

clayjar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:35 AM

just look at all the many topics on this message board on it.

#4 Ashleypanda

Ashleypanda

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 18 February 2005 - 12:18 PM

If you do notice your skin gets more irritated or breaks out when you eat certain foods, don't eat that food. Otherwise, chocolate just probably isn't the endpoint for your acne, and you don't have to worry about it.

#5 Goody317

Goody317

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 18 February 2005 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE(xXillusion @ Feb 18 2005, 02:18 PM)
well I think the fact that I ate a whole bag of kisses candies in 9th grade and broke out like hell the next day, proves something.
Oh and another time I had 5 half a liter bottles of coke and the next day I had  the worst break out again! It proves something too.
Now if I eat chocolate, it's one candy bar a day and diet soft drinks.

View Post

You should record that. Let it be news, Food Is The Cause Of Acne.

#6 Goody317

Goody317

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2005 - 01:12 PM

Even if you stop eating complely and just drink water for a month doesn't mean you are cured since u are not eating anything. You are still going to break out, just get it on your mind that eating healthy helps you look healthier, eating what everyone eats is not going to make you break out.

Is believed certain food can worsen your skin condition, but is not a fact. Just use common sense and avoid the food you feel is not doing any good.

JUST EAT CONSCIENCELY NEVER STRESS YOUR SELF OUT BECAUSE OF WHAT YOU EAT.

#7 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2005 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE(sneezy @ Feb 18 2005, 08:04 AM)
Hi,

I'm a new visitor to this site and like most of you most of you probably were at some stage, am on Dan's BP regimen.

Now, I had thought I researched acne and all the problems, causes etc pretty well and grew a lot of faith in this site after getting not amazing but immediate slight results from the BP. But I always read that there was no evidence that diet and acne were related in any way? Maybe I hadn't researched well enough...

I'm always getting told stuff like chocolate and soft drinks will make my condition worse but had always replied with "Diet and acne are not related, there is no proof" Now I do drink softdrink, eat chocolate etc etc. I'm not overweight, maybe even a little underweight, so is there any relation at all between diet and acne that has been proven.

Sorry if this is really a stupid question but anyone that wishes to reply with a helpful post is welcome, this isn't meant to start a big flaming war.

Thanks and I'm glad to be here, hope to see you all around  eusa_angel.gif

View Post

I am the mother of a 17 hear old teen, who's acne was very bad. He tried antibiotics - up to 1000 a day, (a year) tazorac, differin, BP, $2000 worht of pdt levulan non ablative laser and NOTHING has worked until we stopped listening to doctors and did research on our own. You HAVE to cut out allllll refined carbohydrates and my son also cut out all dairy. He has stopped all refined carbs such as all breads, chips, sugars, rice, etc... and all dairy. He only eats LOTS of veggies - especially green ones such as broccoli, spinach, bok choy, sprouts, and fruit, especially apples, citrus, plums, peaches and an occasional banana. Lots of beans, sweet potatoes and drinks lots of water. We cook with NO OIL and only eat lean proteins such as fish cooked on George Foreman grill with no oil, chicken breasts, turkey breasts, shrimp and oysters. You have to give this a try. It is very simple. Anything processed and part of our modern culture is OUT. I have been emailing back and forth with Dr. Mann from Australia who has been conducting tests at RMIT on diet and teen boys. This isn't just something I cooked up. Enter "wheat and acne" online and you will find a lot. There's even an article by MSNBC. I hope this helps. There's no secret to this - you don't have to eat raw eggs, you don't have to time your food eating patterns, you don't have to even eat organic (although it is nice when you can find it). It is common sense eating. You don't even have to apply creams. Just stop it all and clean up your act. In fact, those creams can just provoke acne. Your friends will think you are so cool that you are taking control of this situation. You will find empowerment and I am sure you could use all that money you are spending on creams, doctor visits and treatments for something special. Hey, would have you got to loose but your acne and what have you got to gain, well, you will be healthier all the way around. Go for it and trust me, I promise you this is the answer. Oh, you may ask, well, why does my friend eat all the junk he wants and never breaks out? I thought the same thing and just knew diet wasn't the answer. The reason is that we are different from one another. Just accept that and try it and see. I will share menus and shopping lists if any one would like them. I am tired of reading where alllll of these teens are suffering just like my son did. I want you to break free.

#8 sneezy

sneezy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:05 PM

Thanks for all the responses. Minnym0use, like you said, everyone is different, not everyone with acne should go on that extreme(I see fit to call it that) diet to stop their acne. My acne isn't severe, from what I've read on these pages is that certain foods will trigger acne for different people, I think maybe I should just try and pinpoint what these foods are. What can anyone suggest? As for going on these non-dairy, no sugars, no carbs, all organic diets, I think I'll pass. The only time I would try this sort of diet is if it was infact proven to me that my acne is triggered by all these foods(which I doubt).

Thanks again for all the responses.

#9 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:16 PM

ive found that its all about quantity, quality of the food, and the balance of nutrients.

Eatting too much of one food CAN and probably will cause acne.

I've also found that digestion is key, at least for me. Whether or not you believe that drinking water with a meal harms you more than helps me, is your decision.

There's just so many little factors that COULD affect you.

Food is not the MAIN cause of acne for many, for others it is a huge contributing factor. (some people digest different types of food differently and thus you need to make adjustments)

#10 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE(sneezy @ Feb 18 2005, 05:05 PM)
Thanks for all the responses. Minnym0use, like you said, everyone is different, not everyone with acne should go on that extreme(I see fit to call it that) diet to stop their acne. My acne isn't severe, from what I've read on these pages is that certain foods will trigger acne for different people, I think maybe I should just try and pinpoint what these foods are. What can anyone suggest? As for going on these non-dairy, no sugars, no carbs, all organic diets, I think I'll pass. The only time I would try this sort of diet is if it was infact proven to me that my acne is triggered by all these foods(which I doubt).

Thanks again for all the responses.

View Post

It's interesting that people refer to no sugar, no dairy, organic diets as "extreme." Compared to how our bodies are meant to function, modern lifestyle and foods are off the charts in the extreme direction. Is it "extreme" to not drive a car and heaven forbid WALK? Is it extreme to not use CHEMICALS in your backyard and grow your own food? Only in less than the last century of human existance. Why is it extreme to do things the way humans have done them for THOUSANDS OF YEARS?

#11 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2005 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE(cjb @ Feb 18 2005, 05:40 PM)
It's interesting that people refer to no sugar, no dairy, organic diets as "extreme."  Compared to how our bodies are meant to function, modern lifestyle and foods are off the charts in the extreme direction.  Is it "extreme" to not drive a car and heaven forbid WALK?  Is it extreme to not use CHEMICALS in your backyard and grow your own food?  Only in less than the last century of human existance.  Why is it extreme to do things the way humans have done them for THOUSANDS OF YEARS?

View Post

Kudos

#12 xmarysue

xmarysue

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2005 - 08:18 PM

right on cjb! eusa_clap.gif

i think that many people (myself included once upon a time) will give up a certain food for a week or two - and then because they don't see results right away give up in annoyance and conclude it can't possibly be diet related. i've tried giving up just dairy, just wheat, and just sugar - with zero success. it wasn't until i eliminated all three simultaneously that i began to see results, and i didn't see improvement until 3-4 weeks into it. the numbers of others with successful diet testimonials help immensely - so thank you!

#13 Melchior

Melchior

I'm naoya_socol's #1 fan!!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2005 - 08:41 PM

It's just food guys. You can say you don't want to alter your diet because it's extreme compared to what you have been eating but seriously, there's many more ways to enjoy yourself than eating certain foods. Instead of eating that dairy you could read a book, go on a date, play a game, watch TV, run, work out, etc. You'll also be much healthier.

If you give a baby vegetables or fruits, they will love it. Our society conditions us to eat foods we didn't use to eat naturally in our thousands of years on this planet, and the taste we acquire is just that... acquired, it's not inherent.

You can get past the fact that your food may not taste the same to you, it's a very small price to pay for better health all around, even if it doesn't guarantee any specific solution like clear skin.

#14 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:29 PM

Sorry but dairy has been around for thousands of years. Cheese especially was one of the first. Breads also. We also eat tons of sugars naturally through fruits, it's just that fruits are also rich in nutrients. Don't kid yourself into thinking those natives that don't have acne don't eat tons and tons of fruits, bananas among them. There are many factors that come into play other than food when it comes to acne, even with those that have insulin resistance. Eg. Exercise, I mean 30 min a day, 5 days a week of MODERATE exercise. Those native islanders get 10,000IU's of D3 per day from the sun.

Dairy, breads, white rice, wine, and all the bad acne foods are just your own opinions as to what's healthy and what's not. If you look at the cultures that live the longest and what they eat, according to some of you, the studies would be wrong. People in the medditeranean, France, Northern Italy, Iceland, Japan, Cuba, etc... all eat bad acne foods as the bulk of their diets and their incidents of acne is not more than anywhere else, they are also healthier, and they outlive everyone else as a whole. Again, there are many other factors that makeup a healthy lifestyle than just food. Lack of exercise and stress will do much more damage than French diet of breads, dairy, and red wine.

I don't have an argument against hating refined sugars or chemicals though.

#15 sneezy

sneezy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2005 - 12:01 AM

QUOTE(cjb @ Feb 19 2005, 11:40 AM)
It's interesting that people refer to no sugar, no dairy, organic diets as "extreme."  Compared to how our bodies are meant to function, modern lifestyle and foods are off the charts in the extreme direction.  Is it "extreme" to not drive a car and heaven forbid WALK?  Is it extreme to not use CHEMICALS in your backyard and grow your own food?  Only in less than the last century of human existance.  Why is it extreme to do things the way humans have done them for THOUSANDS OF YEARS?

View Post

Since you are quoting me, try using my name, I won't get offended I just get irritated at your kind of response. It's just my opionion that cutting out all these foods is not the answer for everyone. Cutting out breads, including rice?! Correct me if I'm wrong but havn't Asian cultures been eating rice for hundreds of years? Maybe even thousands. Even dairy? Hasn't cheese been around for a very very long time? I'm sorry if we don't agree but not everyone should try this diet as soon as they have an acne problem, it's just my opinion, you are entitled to yours also..

#16 antimatter

antimatter

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2005 - 01:17 AM

You know, I used to keep wondering why some people don't get breakouts regardless of what they eat. My brother, for example, all he does is sleep, gamble and eat chocolate(it's funny but I had the same problem for a while, you'll be surprised how much the stress of losing will make you crave for those chocolate) and I don't see him breaking out. But recently, I've noticed a cyst on his face. I guess it was just a matter of time. I consider my family to have very strong genes, yet if you keep abusing your body, and I know I have in the past, then you're going to break out eventually.
My opinion about chocolate is that its combination of saturated fat and sugar is too much for anyone to handle. Those will have to be expend eventually, if not then they'll have to be stored somewhere, unless you can eliminate them quickly enough. However, as you get older, your digestion slows down. You're not eliminating waste(calories) at the same frequency as you're taking in. Now it starts to store those calories as fat. But eventually you're going to run out of places to store those fats. So now there are only the vital organs left. However, the body, logically, will do whatever it takes to keep depositing the fat on your vital organs, and if it has to break them through your skin, then so be it. If even breaking through your skin is not enough, then I guess that's when major diseases like heart attacks occur. IMO, that's why we have in acne in our teens, 20s and 30s and cancers and hearts problems in our forties and fifties and so forth.

#17 antimatter

antimatter

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2005 - 01:44 AM

QUOTE(blackbirdbeatle @ Feb 18 2005, 08:29 PM)
Sorry but dairy has been around for thousands of years. Cheese especially was one of the first. Breads also.  We also eat tons of sugars naturally through fruits, it's just that fruits are also rich in nutrients. Don't kid yourself into thinking those natives that don't have acne don't eat tons and tons of fruits, bananas among them. There are many factors that come into play other than food when it comes to acne, even with those that have insulin resistance. Eg. Exercise, I mean 30 min a day, 5 days a week of MODERATE exercise. Those native islanders get 10,000IU's of D3 per day from the sun.

Dairy, breads, white rice, wine, and all the bad acne foods are just your own opinions as to what's healthy and what's not. If you look at the cultures that live the longest and what they eat, according to some of you, the studies would be wrong. People in the medditeranean, France, Northern Italy, Iceland, Japan, Cuba, etc... all eat bad acne foods as the bulk of their diets and their incidents of acne is not more than anywhere else, they are also healthier, and they outlive everyone else as a whole. Again, there are many other factors that makeup a healthy lifestyle than just food. Lack of exercise and stress will do much more damage than French diet of breads, dairy, and red wine.

I don't have an argument against hating refined sugars or chemicals though.

View Post

I believe exercise is the other half of the equation. It doesn't matter what you eat, calories in, calories out. There are two ways you can break out, eating a lot of really bad foods at once and overload your system immediately. Or eating relatively healthy food, but become so inactive that it doesn't matter how slowly you absorb those foods, you get overloaded eventually.
Most of the people who can get away with eating bad acne food probably because they have healthy pancreas that release enough insulin to regulate and healthy liver to eliminate those bad foods. However, they'll still have to solve the latter problem, which can only be solved with exercise.

#18 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2005 - 02:19 PM

Blackbirdbeatle,
My argument IS against refined sugar and chemicals, and ALL refined overprocessed food. I choose not to eat dairy because I'm one of those people that doesn't believe it's healthy, and when I quit eating it, it cleared up some mild eczema. However, I don't have an ethical problem with people eating ORGANIC dairy. If you're eating conventional dairy or meat, I'm sorry, but you're responsible for not only your own poor health, but also for the proliferation of torture, chemicals, and envrionmental destruction for profit. (And that is not an "extreme" statement. It's the fucking truth.)
I'm also a fan of exercise. Any exercise is better than none, of course, but even that has become "corrupted" by modern life. 30 min/5days a week. It's so prescripted, and I think that is one of the reasons it's hard for some people to stick to it. Just like it's ideal to get your vitamins from your food, it's ideal to get your exercise from your lifestyle or work, like bicycling/walking for transportation, gardening, hiking, etc. I can't do the treadmill thing.

Sneezy,
I'm sorry I didn't use your name. (notice I used it now. Does that make you happier?) I didn't use it before because I wasn't referring only to you, but also to people that I run across every day, including my family, who think I'm so "extreme" for insisting on WHOLE foods. That's essentially my argument. I'm in no way insisting that everyone follow "this" diet. And for the record, I do eat bread, brown rice, and drink wine.

#19 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2005 - 02:48 PM

I don't know how exercise is scripted, they don't tell you to run on a treadmill, they say 30min/5days of moderate exercise and that's all. How you do it is up to you. IN the winter I snowboard backcountry(Try walking up mountains in snow up to your waist), in the summer I kayak, mountina climb, jog outside, rockclimb, swim, etc... It doesn't matter how you do it, you just have to exercise(Walking is mild exercise BTW). If you don't get at least this much you have no one to blame but yourself for less than optimal health.

As for dairy and meat, like I said, most countries outside of those int he UK, USA, and possibly Australia(Don't know the extent of thier bans) don't allow hormones or anythign really bad to go into thier animals. I eat beef that's probably just as healthy as your chicken. It's wild prairie grass fed and open range, which gives the fat the omega acids, so it's kind of like fish fats(Of course not as healthy). Of course most beef in Alberta is like that jsut because we have all this room(I agree with your disgust over clearing rainforest to make room for cattle).

Anyway, everyone in my hometown eats diets heavy in dairy, beef, chicken, and grains(Farm community go figure) but they also eat plenty of veggies, exercise(Way more than the average urban dweller), are less stressed, etc... and when the gov't did a census on the life expectancy of the town, the average age for males was 89 and females 91, which far outstrips the average in any other country. The results were the same for most other towns around the area as well, and from what I've encountered, the same holds true for most rural areas in every country I've visited. As you probably know, there's a lot more to health than food.

Of course if you're intolerant to grains, dairy, etc... you shouldn't eat it but many people here tell everyone not to eat them. Plus, a lot of the insulin resistance(Not all) is due to bad lifestyle choices such as lack of exercise and eating a lot of clearly bad foods like donuts all the time. Just because wheat creates more insulin than veggies doesn't mean it's unhealthy and those that lived a generally healthy lifestyle can eat bad things every once in a while because their body can handle it.

#20 bigglesworth

bigglesworth

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2005 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE(sneezy @ Feb 18 2005, 06:04 AM)
Hi,

Thanks and I'm glad to be here, hope to see you all around  eusa_angel.gif

View Post

This is a very good question, actually.

Dermatologists have consistently told me that there is no evidence that diet affects acne. However, you have to understand what this means in terms of medical research. It only means that nobody has PROVEN diet affects acne through medical studies. Next week somebody could complete a study that does prove diet affects acne, but until that happens, the Derms will say there is no connection. They are simply echoing what the mainstream research says.

It would be more accurate to say that it is PROBABLE and LIKELY that diet does not significantly affect the majority of people suffering from acne. But I do not care what affects the majority of people, I care about what affects ME. Fact is, each of our bodies is unique. That is why prescription medications say things like, "possible side effects include blah blah blah...". Some people will get those side effects, some won't, no way to tell until you try because everybody's body is different.

In my case, I have learned by trial and error that some foods, like french fries and chocolate, make me break out. So I avoid them. The Derms can kiss my ass because it is plainly clear that one precedes the other for my body. I suggest you experiment with your diet and observe your skin's condition. Be consistent about staying on Dan's regimen while you do this so that you know any skin changes are caused by the diet and not changing your skin care methods.

Let us know on the boards your results.