Photo

Herbal supplements

milk thistle

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Red_Butterfly

Red_Butterfly

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:22 AM

list down all the herbal pills/supplements that helps with acne/liver function/blood sugar level?

I'm new at this approach, but I've decided to go ahead with it and prevent breakouts with herbal medicine first, while i *impatiently* wait for my derm appointment.

Here's some I know. But you're welcome to give more info about them, as well as add some more to my list.

1. Chastetree or Vitex
2. Burdock Root
3. Evening Primrose Oil (correct me if I'm wrong)
4. Dandelion
5. Yellow Dock
6. Red Clover
7. Milk Thistle
8. Artichoke
9. Sarsaparilla (sp?)

Also, I've just read from another thread that herbal medicine loses it's effect after a week of taking it, so it's important to alternately use different ones. Is that true?

Please help me out - I have a date with the herbal shop today (Isn't that pathetic?)

EDIT: Can one of the mods move this to holistic/diet forum? Sorry I had three hours of sleep. thanks!
"Do you know that place between asleep and awake? That place where you remember dreaming? That's where I'll always wait for you...that's where I'll always love you."

#2 the.ronin

the.ronin

image>mode>cmyk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 14 February 2005 - 11:21 AM

Haha..well, I don't know if this counts...but I drink a lot of green tea to flush out the toxins and keep my skin looking younger.

Should be a good approach though smile.gif

#3 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2005 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE(S214 @ Feb 14 2005, 07:22 AM)
list down all the herbal pills/supplements that helps with acne/liver function/blood sugar level?
I'm new at this approach, but I've decided to go ahead with it and prevent breakouts with herbal medicine first, while i *impatiently* wait for my derm appointment.

Here's some I know. But you're welcome to give more info about them, as well as add some more to my list.

1. Chastetree or Vitex
2. Burdock Root
3. Evening Primrose Oil (correct me if I'm wrong)
4. Dandelion
5. Yellow Dock
6. Red Clover
7. Milk Thistle
8. Artichoke
9. Sarsaparilla (sp?)

Also, I've just read from another thread that herbal medicine loses it's effect after a week of taking it, so it's important to alternately use different ones. Is that true?

Please help me out - I have a date with the herbal shop today (Isn't that pathetic?)

EDIT: Can one of the mods move this to holistic/diet forum? Sorry I had three hours of sleep. thanks!

View Post

Is it a good looking herbal shop?
Anyway, that looks like a good list. Personally, I use Evening Primrose Oil(2600mg a day, along with cod liver oil) and Milk Thistle from that list. I'll probably add some burdock root if I can find the fresh thing anywhere, I've yet to look around.

I don't know anything about herbs becoming ineffective with more use, but I'll look into it and tell you if I find anything.

Good luck with that date of yours <_<, hopefully he won't be a jerk.

#4 Red_Butterfly

Red_Butterfly

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2005 - 03:01 PM

^ lol.gif

please do...I have Burdock Root and Evening Primrose Oil. I'm about to go now and buy Chastetree. Will also buy some zinc supplements (although my face hasn't been oily recently).

"Do you know that place between asleep and awake? That place where you remember dreaming? That's where I'll always wait for you...that's where I'll always love you."

#5 ritzvin

ritzvin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2005 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE(S214 @ Feb 14 2005, 09:22 AM)

View Post

My detox herbal tea does have you alternate formulas every other month (there are 2 formulas), so maybe that's why. I was wondering why they said to alternate.

99.5% Clear (skin gets 'congested' PMS week, but no actual breakouts)
---------------------------
Fragrance-Free Baby Wipes + a few drops Rimmel Makeup Remover solution
3/4 AHA Toner* & 1/4 Glycerin (cotton pad) -- good toner, moisturizer, and makeup base (use less glycerin if not under makeup)
Occasional Treatments (2-3x/week): Exfoliating bp wash* in shower, 2.5% bp lotion* at night
CoverGirl TruBlend Powder Foundation
* = Klear Action Kit (Pro-Activ knockoff)
Gluten-free diet (for non-acne reasons, but it seems to have cleared my acne)

#6 Red_Butterfly

Red_Butterfly

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2005 - 04:32 PM

^hmmmmm....

hopefully somebody can shed some light on this.

Anyone know why?

#7 Red_Butterfly

Red_Butterfly

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:58 PM

Ok guys I need help.

I've been taking Burdock Root Pills and Evening Primrose Oil since last week. I haven't noticed anything significant yet. In fact because of PMS i broke out on my chin again.

But I'll continue with this thing - there's nothing wrong with cleansing my liver.

So i just bought another batch of herbal supplements...

all in all I have:

1. Burdock Root Pills
2. Evening Primrose Oil
3. Vitex/Chaste Tree
4. Milk Thistle
5. Red Clover

I also have some pills that I take for weight loss (Gamma Amino Butyric Acid)...my bro tells me I'm a druggie lol.

So what's the best way to take these supplements?

I don't wanna give up Burdock Root, I want to keep taking it everyday. The Evening Primrose Oil I wanna keep taking too. And Vitex definitely will have to be taken everyday (it has the same properties of Ortho-Tricyclen, which cleared me a year ago). I'm not quite sure what to do with Milk Thistle and Red Clover.

I'm so new at this. I have no idea how to proceed. Also, I'm planning to buy more herbal supplements (Yellow Dock, Artichoke, Sarsaparilla, Dandelion). Of course I will have to rotate them...i just don't know which ones I have to keep taking everyday and which to rotate.

Anyone knows a website that can help me? wacko.gif

#8 ipi2rmg

ipi2rmg

FC till I die

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:58 AM

The best way to take herbal supplements is this:- Take herbs which promote liver detoxification for 2-3 weeks :- Any AKN herbal blend
The main 3 herbs which stimulate liver detoxification are Dandelion root, Burdock root and Yellow dock root. Any AKN blend also includes other benificial herbs such as sarsaparilla root and plantain leaf. I get Natures way AKN skincare blend.

After 2-3weeks start taking Milk Thistle extract, Artichoke and Astragalus root which promte liver rebuilding.

Herbs only act to shock the liver into releasing bile which is why their effectiveness becomes less and less over time if not cycled correctly.

#9 ritzvin

ritzvin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2005 - 01:32 PM

These are the ingredients of the detox teas I drink:

Detox I (apple cinnamon flavor):

Description:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Effects of each plants that compose the Detox product:

SARSAPARILLA root increases the flow of urine and breaks up gas.
MILK THISTLE seeds are used for liver, gall bladder and spleen support. It is commonly used as a liver protector when consumed before meals and alcohol consumption.
RED CLOVER is a blood purifier that is mild and mineral-rich. It is good for the general prevention of health problems and may be consumed freely without any known side effects.
DANDELION root is used to benefit the liver. As a powerful diuretic, it helps clear obstructions and stimulate the liver to eliminate toxins from the blood. Because it is high in potassium, dandelion is a good balanced diuretic.
YELLOW DOCK root is a good blood purifier and body cleanser. It tones the entire system and is one of the best blood-builders. It nourishes the spleen and liver, improves the flow of bile and stimulates elimination. It is also an excellent cleanser of the lymphatic system and is an old remedy for skin eruptions caused by internal toxicity.
BURDOCK root is used to neutralize and expel toxins from the body. It promotes kidney function to help clear the blood of harmful acids. Burdock also contains volatile oils that help remove toxic wastes through the sweat glands.
HIBISCUS flower is a general tonic with a pleasant flavor and mild laxative effect.
ECHINACEA ANGUSTIFOLIA is one of the most efficacious cleansers of the lymphatic system and is an excellent infection-fighter against both bacterial and viral attacks.
FENUGREEK seed is an herb for lung support that helps expel mucous and phlegm from the bronchial tubes. This herb is commonly used to help rid the lungs of infection and it is also believed to expel toxic wastes through the lymphatic system. Fenugreek combined with milk thistle support liver functions.
GINGER root has a cleansing effect on the bowels, kidneys and skin. Ginger also stimulates the circulatory system which, in turn, increases perspiration.
CASCARA SAGRADA bark stimulates secretions of the liver, gall bladder, pancreas and stomach. It has been effective in ridding the body of gall stones and has both a cleansing and regenerating effect on the colon.

Ingredients:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dandelion, Burdock, Red Clover, Hibiscus, Sarsaparilla, Milk Thistle, Fenugreek. Yellow Dock, Ginger, Cascara Sagrada, Echinacea Angustifolia.

Detox II (passionfruit flavor):

Ingredients:

Dandelion, Burdock, Red Clover, Alfalfa, Chamomile, Licorice, Slippery Elm, Hibiscus, Rose hips.

99.5% Clear (skin gets 'congested' PMS week, but no actual breakouts)
Fragrance-Free Baby Wipes + a few drops Rimmel Makeup Remover solution
3/4 AHA Toner* & 1/4 Glycerin (cotton pad) -- good toner, moisturizer, and makeup base (use less glycerin if not under makeup)
Occasional Treatments (2-3x/week): Exfoliating bp wash* in shower, 2.5% bp lotion* at night
CoverGirl TruBlend Powder Foundation
* = Klear Action Kit (Pro-Activ knockoff)
Gluten-free diet (for non-acne reasons, but it seems to have cleared my acne)

#10 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2005 - 02:43 PM

A few people on these boards have reported clearing with an acne pill that contains burdock, sarsaparilla and blue flag. I just picked up a tincture of burdock and sarsaparilla and ordered some blue flag. I read a bit about blue flag. It is just irises! But it is the rhizome that is beneficial and it is not water soluble, ie, a tea will do you no good. So I ordered a tincture of it. It apparently increases billeousness and is good for the gall bladder and liver. Too much will make you vomit (probably from increased bile), so take in small doses.
My regimen:

Eat regularly: a wide variety of vegetables, eggs, meat/fish, cheese, yogurt, butter, fruit, nuts/seeds.

Occasionally eat: beans, squash, potatoes.

Don't eat: sugar, grains, most processed food.

#11 Red_Butterfly

Red_Butterfly

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2005 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE(ipi2rmg @ Feb 16 2005, 10:58 AM)
The best way to take herbal supplements is this:- Take herbs which promote liver detoxification for 2-3 weeks :-  Any AKN herbal blend
                                             The main 3 herbs which stimulate liver detoxification are Dandelion root, Burdock root and Yellow dock root. Any AKN blend also includes other benificial herbs such as sarsaparilla root and plantain leaf. I get Natures way AKN  skincare blend.

After 2-3weeks start taking Milk Thistle extract, Artichoke and Astragalus root which promte liver rebuilding.

Herbs only act to shock the liver into releasing bile which is why their effectiveness becomes less and less over time if not cycled correctly.

View Post

Thanks! This is very helpful!

I still don't have Dandelion Root and Yellow Dock Root. I have Burdock Root, so I will keep taking that in three weeks.

After Burdock Root, I will take Milk Thistle.

It's much clearer now....Vitex/Chaste Tree I have to keep taking everyday though, as well as Evening Primrose Oil.

Red Clover I will take for one week, then stop for the next week, then resume again.

Which reminds me I have to go buy the other herbal supplements. This kind of treatment is not bad at all - cheap, will last me for months! biggrin.gif

ritzvin: thanks for posting that! I'm printing it right now.

cjb: that's the thread that inspired me to go herbal in the first place. I was like, why not? It's cheap and the principle is simple - cleanse your body from the inside. If it doesn't work for my acne, at least it's doing something good inside my body.

Because of acne, I'm suddenly a health-freak! I watch my diet, my weight, my hygiene. It's a complete change of lifestyle!