Photo

what kind of water do you drink?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 February 2005 - 09:46 PM

everyone says to drink lots of water but rarely is the type of water mentioned. most bottled water is distilled, which removes the beneficial minerals. reverse osmosis also removes beneficial minerals. unfiltered tap water is full of harmful substances, and many people say that spring water is ideal. right now im looking at a Seagul water purifier which i think will be better than the distilled water im drinking now.

so i was just wondering what kind of water you drink... what kind of water filter do you use... and do you think drinkning more water has made any difference in your acne?

#2 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:10 PM

distilled water is often called "agressive" or "hungry" water because it will readily dissolve minerals. this means that it can easily remove minerals from your body and foods that are cooked in it. zinc is a mineral that many acne sufferers use... could it be possible that distilled water (most bottle water) is responsible for the need for zinc suplementation?

here is an article about distilled water... i just picked it out at random, but there are many more like it: http://chetday.com/distilledwater.htm

#3 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:23 PM

http://www.mercola.c...lled_water.htm#

checkout the crystal images of distilled vs natural water

#4 adultAcne

adultAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:35 PM

Distillation is basically the same principle that rain comes from... except the source usually isn't oceanic water I believe. I love distilled.

#5 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2005 - 01:34 AM

Why would distilled water mainly chelate zinc? What I'm trying to get at is if it does chelate minerals and vitamins, it does it to all of them equally. We should get a lot of zinc in our diets if we aren't vegetarians so I can't see having a zinc deficiency because of water without many other mineral and vitamin deficiencies as well.

Plus, like you said, distillation is rainwater(Unless you live in an urban centre or in an area where the pollution caried). You can't get more natural than that.

#6 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2005 - 02:35 PM

surely if distilled water leaches minerals from the body it would affect other minerals beside zinc. the idea of zinc deficiency is just a connection I made because so many people are popping zinc pills to treat acne, and ive read that minor zinc deficiencies are actually quite common. whether of not distilled water can leach small amounts of minerals from the body and result in deficiencies over a long time is just something to think about. water is just as important as food, and deserves to be looked at when dealing with any health problem. unfortunately, there appears to be very little research or attention to this. I would think that the most natural drinking water would not be pure rainwater, but would be from sources of flowing water such as rivers, creeks, streams, and springs.

#7 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2005 - 03:26 PM

I think it's more of an issue of zinc helping acne because of certain properties than it being a deficiency.

Anyway, rainwater is the most natural source of water was long as the atmosphere is pure(Rare nowadays). With mountain spring water, etc... you could get all sorts of things like beaver fever. I have a cabin in glacier national park in Whitefish and by it there is a natural water source coming down from the mountain that people use to fill up water containers. It tastes good but you never know when somethign will get int he water(I can't recall anything happening there but in other mountain streams it does). Also you cant' absorb mineral water(the minerals) if I'm correct, because they come from actual rocks, not biosources. You can't absorb zinc thats been stripped from a rock.

Now springs are a different matter and they may be better. I know the 50 springs by me are all healing and such(But that's to bathe in). Tons of sulphur in those things as well.

#8 adultAcne

adultAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2005 - 08:01 PM

It's been a while since I read up on this, but I recall coming to the conclusion that the distilled-leaching fear amounts to looking at the glass as half empty. Distilled water is sorta absorbant... it cleans the body of toxic chemicals too, not just the good minerals. I think if you eat well and take your multivitamins, and even multi-minerals if you will, then you will be fine.

#9 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 February 2005 - 04:22 AM

im not trying to see the glass half empty or half full… im trying to see the entire glass from every angle. I also have read about how distilled water might help remove toxins (such as toxic metals) from the body. in fact some sites claim it can help remove toxins, yet also say not to worry about it causing deficiencies in the long run… a bit contradictory if you ask me. the idea of mineral deficiency isn’t really my focus though. it just seems to me that distilled water is an unnatural drinking water, which is rarely encountered in nature except maybe as rainwater resting on a leaf or in a fresh puddle.

I checked a few bottles of distilled water and they all have one or two mineral salts added such as calcium chloride, potassium chloride, or magnesium sulfate. I, being the overly suspicious consumer, have only to wonder if the added ingredients are really for the “fresh taste�, or is there something they’re not telling us. if studies have actually been done, with funding from those that stand to profit from distilled water, and the studies showed any kind of health risk would the information be made public? I think not.

it is my understanding that all of my tap water originates from sources of flowing water, and about half is from the sierra mountains, and the result is a water that is filled with all kinds of minerals (many more than the couple of salts added to bottled water) that were extracted from earth on its journey. unfortunately, earth aint as clean as it used to be so there are also some toxic substances in the water (not to mention all the crap added at the water treatment facility). my belief is that it would be best to drink my tap water with all its minerals intact, and without all the environmental and added toxins. so im trying to find a water filter that will provide that for me.

#10 Guest_Keeley_*

Guest_Keeley_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 12 February 2005 - 08:16 AM

water that I drink....

tap!
bottled... Volvic and evian
biggrin.gif

#11 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 February 2005 - 12:23 PM

How can you absorb minerals from stone? I'm pretty sure they either have to be chelated(To trick the body into thinking they come from bio sources and even then don't abosrb very well), or you don't absorb them. That's why not all vitamins are created equal.

How is pure H2O unnatural? You are over 70% pure H2O and it seems to me that there is nothign wrong with drinking it. Rainwater is as natural as you can get. If we didn't unnaturaly fuck up the atmosphere it would still be pure everywhere.

#12 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 February 2005 - 04:39 PM

i didnt say anything about absorbing minerals, and i never said H20 is unnatural... i said its an unnatural drinking water.

#13 adultAcne

adultAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 February 2005 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE(flipside @ Feb 12 2005, 03:22 AM)
it just seems to me that distilled water is an unnatural drinking water, which is rarely encountered in nature except maybe as rainwater resting on a leaf or in a fresh puddle.

View Post

Ya, but animals and I'm sure humans drank out of fresh puddles all the time. Also, a lot of the water in flowing sources can be made up of water that only recently fell to earth that didn't really have the time to get mineralized. Think about snow. It just sits on the mountain all winter and when it starts flowing, it doesn't take long until it ends up in tap water. Then there is Africa, where water is about to dry up, and then a huge rain comes and fills up watering holes and all the animals start drinking it up immediately.

So, it seems to me that distilled water, just like rainwater, is perfectly natural to drink. The only difference is that I doubt our distilled water comes from sea water, like rain does, so whatever sea minerals that evaporate into a gas along with sea water is an added benefit.

I was reading the other day that MSM actually comes from rainwater and MSM is supposed to be something we need, so maybe that's where we used to naturally get it from the most... who knows.

#14 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 February 2005 - 08:40 PM

I bet even a fresh puddle has some dissolved solids in it. and melted snow crashes down water falls and flows through roaring rivers so I don’t think it would take long at all to mineralize. as for the watering holes in africa, c’mon, that stuff is so muddy… its like hey, can I have some water with my minerals please?

anyway, im not sure we’re on the same page here. just to underscore, distilled water is stripped of all minerals, and then a few mineral salts are artificially added. furthermore, distilled water is likely to be very acidic because it readily dissolves carbon dioxide from the air:

Perfectly pure [distilled] water is neutral pH 7. However, almost anything dissolved in the water, in any amount, will affect the pH. Freshly distilled water rapidly absorbs carbon dioxide from the air and reaches a pH of 5.5 in a very short time. Other materials dissolved in the water may have an even more marked effect. Depending on its chemical characteristics, it can either raise or lower pH value. Thus the pH of any solution depends on the amounts and types of materials dissolved in the water.
http://www.bridgepoi...al_help/ph.html

here, somebody tested the pH of Dasani water and found it to be very acidic. dasani is filtered by reverse osmosis, which removes all the minerals just like distillation, and then a couple mineral salts are added:

*July 6, 2003: Dasani® Purified Water, Enhanced with Minerals for a Pure, Fresh Taste. This is a product of the Coca-Cola® Company. They also state that it is filtered for purity using state of the art treatment by reverse osmosis, and enhanced with minerals for a pure, fresh taste. Dasini is water-pure and essential.

Ingredients: Purified Water, Magnesium Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, Salt*. *Adds a negligible amount of sodium.

Test Result: Using Vaxa's test kit, this water did not test well. After proper testing, the water showed a pH of 5.2-5.3. This is clearly acidic. They also add chloride to the water which is a clear toxin. I would not recommend this water to drink.
http://www.environme...-water-safe.htm

in contrast, all the spring waters tested were close to neurtral or were alkaline.

there is a lot of talk these days about how acidity in the body can lead to disease.

my main thing is that distilled water is processed water. just like we're supposed to avoid refined and processed foods, why shouldn't we avoid processed water.