Photo

is dairy really bad for acne?

calcium dairy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 bumbum21

bumbum21

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 February 2005 - 02:47 PM

does dairy really affect acne? I don't really drink that much milk and I know I can get calcium an vit d from other sources. But does this mean I should cut out on other dairy products such as cheese and ice cream? Does anyone here breakout because of dairy products? Juss curious. Thanks smile.gif
am regimen:
1.burt's bees tomato garden soap
2.burt's bees tomato garden toner
3. burt's bees marshmallow vanishing cream

pm regimen:
3.100% Dessert Essence Tea tree oil
4. burt's bees marshmallow vanishing cream

Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque (3 times a week)

My Regimen Log

#2 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 February 2005 - 03:43 PM

Some do some don't. You're not going to get a better answer here. It didn't affect me or many others, but a lot of people also said that they break out from it. If it's an intolerance or an allergy, it's not acne you are getting but something closer to boils or hives from the reaction.

#3 riffraff

riffraff

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 February 2005 - 05:50 PM

Dairy may or may not be bad, but the sugar in the ice cream is terrible!

#4 bumbum21

bumbum21

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 February 2005 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE(riffraff @ Feb 10 2005, 03:50 PM)
Dairy may or may not be bad, but the sugar in the ice cream is terrible!

View Post

ya i know...too bad i have ice cream cake from dairy queen...I guess I juss hafta hold back sad.gif
am regimen:

pm regimen:

My Regimen Log

#5 Pika

Pika

boobs

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 February 2005 - 08:21 PM

Dairy and the sugar is bad, I would stop.
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#6 rush02

rush02

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 February 2005 - 06:15 PM

Dairy breaks me out in the worst way, I guess I'm allergic. I did trial and error testing and despite what statistics say about the lack of a positive link between diet and acne, I KNOW that's what gets me. I had cystic acne on my face, back and chest but now that the dairy's gone from my diet, so are the breakouts smile.gif ...I DO miss ice cream an awful lot though. It was my favourite.

#7 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 February 2005 - 07:43 PM

If you're looking at it from the point og blood sugar, all dairy, even ice cream have a low to very low GL. Of course if you pig out on ice cream the GL will raise a lot.

#8 Iarephel

Iarephel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 February 2005 - 08:16 PM

I don't normally have diary but I have to have yogurt and ice cream once in awhile...its my weak spot. So I get the sugar free ice cream with splenda. (low carb probably would be good too) Just don't have too much at once.

#9 antimatter

antimatter

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 February 2005 - 11:55 PM

If you happen to eat ice cream, better exercise fast. For some reasons, I kept visualizing myself every time I do that as Arnold in the movie Running Man, where I have to outrun the sugar before they overload the system.
You can also try drinking fiber before eating ice cream, or any type of sugar, as they'll slow down absorption in the bloodstream.

#10 bumbum21

bumbum21

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2005 - 12:11 AM

Thanks for the response guys!! I guess this is a really good way of also eating right huh! Well i switched to soy milk...and I do need some getting used to it (althoug I love tofu dessert bubble tea). Is soy okay though?

am regimen:

pm regimen:

My Regimen Log

#11 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2005 - 12:17 AM

okay, I think there's a misconception about sugar intake and foods. The GI doesn't work for many foods because the carb intake calculated for the foods isn't realistic. Eg. Pasta is medium in GI but high in GL because in actuality, the amount of carbs in a serving of pasta is more than the GI, thus a higher GL.

Things like dairy, including ice cream have a medium-high GI HOWEVER that assumes you eat the amount of carbs in one serving needed to calculate the GI. You don't in actuality one serving(1cup) of ice cream only has a GL of 8, while the premium brands have a GL of 4 which is really low. Watermelon, which has a higher GI is the same, it's GL is even lower. Carrots are the same as well.

Again, unless you gorge on these foods, the normal amount consumed isn't going to spike your blood sugar(The GL has just only recently become more popular so serving sizes used to calculate it reflect the bigger portions people are eating now).

Don't assume just because somethign has looks sugary and has a high GI that the amount you eat will actually raise blood sugar that much.

#12 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2005 - 12:22 AM

QUOTE(antimatter @ Feb 14 2005, 12:55 AM)
You can also try drinking fiber before eating ice cream, or any type of sugar, as they'll slow down absorption in the bloodstream.

View Post

What "blackbirdbeatle" said was correct: ice cream (REAL ice cream with butterfat) already has a surprisingly low glycemic index. However, you could probably lower it even further by eating it along with soluble (NOT insoluble) fiber.

Bryan

#13 Charlesworth

Charlesworth

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2005 - 02:28 PM

Thanks for the response guys!! I guess this is a really good way of also eating right huh! Well i switched to soy milk...and I do need some getting used to it (althoug I love tofu dessert bubble tea). Is soy okay though?

Yeah, it should be fine. I mean, some people are going to give loads of statistics about how eating soybeans will make your eyes fall out and get into a sumo wrestling match on the floor, or make you grow udders, or all kinds of stuff like that, but people have been eating soybeans in Asia for centuries, and they're fine. What is this tofu dessert bubble tea? It sounds pretty good.

#14 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2005 - 02:45 PM

Soy has just as many problems as hormone free milk(Most countires outside of England and the US don't allow this).

I also don't know why soy products are much more expensive(Economies of scale doesn't cover all of it) because soy is extremely cheap to produce and process(Probably the cheapest plant and certainly cheaper than any grain). I think companies are riding the soy trend and milking it for all it's worth because the current prices for soy products making the companies huge margins.

#15 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2005 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE(Charlesworth @ Feb 14 2005, 01:28 PM)
Yeah, it should be fine. I mean, some people are going to give loads of statistics about how eating soybeans will make your eyes fall out and get into a sumo wrestling match on the floor, or make you grow udders, or all kinds of stuff like that, but people have been eating soybeans in Asia for centuries, and they're fine. What is this tofu dessert bubble tea? It sounds pretty good.

View Post

Most people in asia eat between 8-24g of soy(mostly fermented soy like miso or tempeh) a day, which is FAR from what 'health' concious soy-consuming americans eat with all their soy products.