Photo

GENETIC...HEREDITARY???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 19yochickfightingacne4toolong

19yochickfightingacne4toolong

Sexiest Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 February 2005 - 12:31 AM

What is your opinion?

Did one or both of your parents have acne?

Do you hear stories about how they once suffered with acne?

Or is it the complete opposite, and they are baffled at the condition of your skin?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both my parents had their ocasional breakouts, but from what I hear, neither of them had it the way I suffer from it. I have looked at pics of them when they were my age, and nothing!

I try my hardest to figure out why i'm breaking out, and how I can stop it. I try to take care of myself the best way I can, but nothing seems to be working.

And this does not seem to be something I inherited from my parents.

How about you???
"don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns"

#2 Cr0n3

Cr0n3

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 February 2005 - 06:13 AM

My father's and my mother's side both had the same problem as me: ACNE. So i guess it is possible that you can inherit the same problems as them.. . your parents.
Never lose hope! Try and try until you get it right!

#3 Fsucrys

Fsucrys

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 February 2005 - 05:10 PM

I think you inherit certin geans. Im not sure if there is an "acne" gean. My mom has oily skin but no acne. my dad on the other had has cystic acne like me. My brother has it also soooo it leads me to believe that yeah its gotta have something to do with it.

Crystal

#4 Graphite

Graphite

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 February 2005 - 06:24 PM

Neither one of my parenst has acne nor any of my relatives. Its just poor bad luck for me.

#5 happyman7

happyman7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 February 2005 - 09:36 PM

I would put my money on genetically inhereting certain genes that cause increased sebum production. Pax

#6 intothewoods

intothewoods

intothewoods

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:12 PM

My dad's side has real problems with acne. My aunt and all her daughters (I think) have done accutane and my dad's mom had acne into her 40s or 50s. My dad had acne but it went away on its own. My mom had adult acne. She had to get prescriptions for it.

#7 19yochickfightingacne4toolong

Sexiest Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:21 PM

So far its seems like it is 50/50 on the chance that we could of inherited this skin condition. I really think it depends on exactly what is causing our individual problems. There seems to be so many different factors to which cause acne. I'm still trying to find the answer myself.....

#8 hoku

hoku

Stranded Amphibian

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 February 2005 - 09:01 AM

Acne is hereditary most of the time. If both parents had mild acne, chances are good that you'll have mild acne too. However.. if even one parent has severe acne, chances of you have severe acne are there too.

But you're right, genetics is one thing, but there are other factors that can cause acne. Like, touching ones face too much, products that we use, etc... the general rule of thumb to be safe, is wash hands frequently, and don't let anything touch your face. smile.gif

If you use hairspray or hair gel or something, be careful that they don't come in contact with skin because it can contribute to the formation of acne as well.
My Regimen:

Morning:
- wash face with LUSH Fresh Farmacy cleanser
- LUSH Eau Roma Water as toner
- SkinCeuticals Ultimate UV Defense SPF30

Night:
- Wash with Murad Cleanser and/or LUSH Fresh Farmacy
- tone with LUSH Eau Roma Water
- apply Acne.org 2.5% BP generously or SkinCeuticals Retinol 0.5
- LUSH Enzymion moisturizer

Exfoliation:
- LUSH Angels on Bare Skin or
- Neutrogena Advanced Solutions Facial Peel

Makeup (used occasionally):
- Lily Lolo Mineral Foundation (Popcorn)
- Silk Naturals Climax or Flirt blush
- Silk Naturals Perfecting powder

#9 Kelly1212

Kelly1212

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 February 2005 - 06:55 AM

It is hereditary.My mum and dad din't have acne but my uncle's did really badly.My brother is 13 and is just getting it and my cousin also has it.The gene is there in the family.They all grew out of it though so i just hope to God i grow out of the tendancy to it too!!!!!! eusa_pray.gif

#10 karrie

karrie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 February 2005 - 07:57 AM

Excellent topic btw... eusa_clap.gif

Both my parents are clear & as far as I know my uncles/aunts & grandparents
were clear too but myself, my sister & my brother all have it...just lucky I guess doubt.gif

Kx

#11 19yochickfightingacne4toolong

Sexiest Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 February 2005 - 12:41 PM

I'm really confused now about the way I feel how we get this acne in the first place. Everyone has something different to say, except judging from this forum it seems like it is something hereditary. Personally, even when I look more into the family besides my sister and parents, like even aunts and uncles...cousins....no one has it nearly like myself. I don't think anyone ever did!!!

Hoku also makes a good point. We must be careful with products, such as stuff we put in our hair. Most of the time, when that crap touches our face were going to react. I remember once I switched to a heavier conditioner, and soon as I did that, and was wearing my hair down. my skin all along the sides of my face reacted. It was pretty bad!! Also for us that have bangs. As much as they can hide some forhead skin, it can also potentially cause us to breakout.

#12 sw33tcandykiss07

sw33tcandykiss07

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 15 February 2005 - 05:19 PM

Your right. The whole bangs deal with my hair totally put my forehead through hell. I finally let them grow out and now my forehead is about the only thing that is almost completely clear.

As for the Parent genes thing. My mom never really had acne but my dad had is REALLY Bad...so bad that he has scars all over his face and back from it. Im guessing I got that from him. Thanks Dad rolleyes.gif

#13 stantheman9

stantheman9

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 February 2005 - 06:00 PM

Acne is no doubt hereditary, but there are many factors that make it worse or better. Both of my parents had acne from like 13-19, and it seemed to be pretty bad. My dad didnt care because he was a MAN, but his mom made him get oral antibiotics, and i dont think accutane was an option at the time. I asked him if he would've taken it and he said no. My mom had worse acne than my dad from what i hear, she wasnt as smart with the medications though. She has scars on her face and claims she would have taken accutane if she knew about the drug. I am left to deal with the onslaught of zits until im 19, unless i get on accutane smile.gif. Ive been on all the stupid antibiotics and topicals, which only moderately control your acne. Okay srrry about rambling...
THINGS THAT WORSEN ACNE.... 1) scrubbing too hard or picking ( i was stupid and did it at one point) 2) not washing hair or having hair products in direct contact with ur forhead (BADBADBAD). 3) rubbing your face. 4) shaving with smooth razor, ive found that electrical razors make me breakout less. 5) sun exposure has good immediate results on the acne, but causes a breakout after. 6) Not enough sleep, sleep is a key ingredient in nice skin. 7) sleeping in dirty matresses/pillowcases
----------- this is getting too long... bye

#14 Goody317

Goody317

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 February 2005 - 06:11 PM

My mom nor my dad ever suffer from acne. I don't know why just me eusa_think.gif
"Nobody Loves a Nobody... I want To be a Somebody" [image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#15 19yochickfightingacne4toolong

Sexiest Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 February 2005 - 11:28 PM

Thanx Stantheman9 for your imput. "Things that worsen acne" very informative list.

#16 Jinjo

Jinjo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2005 - 01:08 AM

I say it's the combination of blood types, skin types and whatnot. Of course if you're having to undergo alot of things and getting stress then lots of diseases happen.

#17 sashie

sashie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2005 - 07:00 PM

Both parents were pretty clear, although my brother suffered with acne in his teen years. I wasn't so lucky. Although I had moderate acne in my teens, it got progressively worse after highschool. So in my case, it may not be heriditary.
Guess I would be the lucky "chosen one" one in the family, grr... eusa_wall.gif

#18 cashmira

cashmira

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2005 - 09:01 PM

Nobody, and I mean *nobody* in my immediate, or extended family has, or had acne...just yours truly. How unfair is that?! And here I am at 41 years of age undergoing Accutane treatment! shock.gif

Cashmira biggrin.gif

#19 stantheman9

stantheman9

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2005 - 09:03 PM

wow very odd, well don't let acne hide your true beauty. Both my parents had the same acne as i did, and so do my sister and i. I guess the situation is different for everyone.

#20 SiMoN05

SiMoN05

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2005 - 09:23 PM

yeah both my parents never had acne, my mom said when she was a teen that she would only get like one rarely sometimes! and my cousins and aunts are perfectly clear too, even my two bros didnt get it,my bro gets one or two rarely, i guess im gonna grow out of it soon! hopefully lol