Photo

What seems to be working for me : stop wheat

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#21 Whatsup

Whatsup

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:58 PM

hey sweetjade, i actually cut out wheat too the last few weeks. Plus i added a lot of natural foods to my diet. I'll just say that im pretty much 100% clear and yea i do believe its because i cut out wheat, but i did also cut out dairy. In the near future if im as clear as i am now and my skin continues to look better ill post my diet routine. Later sweetjade, im a fan of yours by the way eusa_angel.gif

#22 xmarysue

xmarysue

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 February 2005 - 10:35 AM

I am new to this board but felt compelled to give my input on this matter. I have given up all wheat, dairy and refined sugar products approximately 5-6 weeks ago. I have noticed a MAJOR improvement with regard to my cystic acne. Since I've eliminated these products I've been cyst free. However, I do still develop smaller pimples, that are healing within 2-3 days. How long has it taken others with this approach to completely clear?

I've suffered from acne for almost 20 years now, so after trying everything else under the sun with no success - this is wonderful! It takes constant dedication, but if it's it what I must to do to remain acne free - I'll do it!! Plus the increased mental clarity and energy levels are awesome! biggrin.gif

#23 Ashleypanda

Ashleypanda

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 February 2005 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE(Ben16 @ Feb 13 2005, 06:03 AM)
what could i substitute with wheat?

View Post

If you're just going wheat-free...

Barley, rice, kamut, spelt, ( most people I know can only tolerate one or the other- kamut or spelt), pure dark rye bread, potato, sweet potato, kasava, hemp seeds, pappadums, rice cakes, oat crackers, soy bread, corn bread. There's TONS of alternatives. Unfortunately a lot of them tend to be more expensive then wheat breads.

It could take anywhere from..say, 1 weeks to 5 months to see improvement. It really depends. I've been totally off wheat for about 2 months. Before I 'avoided' it, but that doesn't get you results. It might not work with everyone, but dairy, sugars, wheat and gluten really don't help my skin or health.

Gradually get off things like wheat. Have one serving of wheat per day, and then by the end of the week start doing it so you're only having one wheat serving a week, and then so on. In the meantime, replace wheat products that you usually go for with the alternatives I mentioned above. As goes for the sugar, milk and gluten products. Sugar you can replace with fruit leathers, fruit, honey, cocoa, Rice Dream, hemp ice cream, soy ice cream, etc., and milk replace with rice milk, almond milk, soy milk (Check for soy though, you could be allergic to it, as I am). I wouldn't recommend coconut milk as it's very high in fat.

And be really anal. For instance, Kraft peanut butter has hydorgenated vegetable oil, roasted peanuts, maltodextrin, sugar, dextrose, salt...stick with organic peanut butter instead. Pure peanut butter, taste can be hard to adjust to since grocery store peanut butter is so sweet, but things like that you have to watch out for.

This book might be helpful if this is a direction you're trying. Some things she mentions in the book don't work for me, so pick and choose what works well for you.

#24 kat1

kat1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 17 February 2005 - 06:15 PM

I was reading about quiet a few alternatives here.

I know spelt flour has gluten in it, but yet, it is not wheat gluten, and mostly tolerated from peopl who have celiac desease (gluten intolerance).

We have a great Health Food store where I live, and they pretty much know what contains wheat and gluten. Of course most of the time you pay double the price if you want to buy something. It really sucks if you want to be healthy. Being healthy means spending a lot of money, but that's a different subject, I am trying to avoid politics.

I found out that my favourite cookies are wheat/gluten free. You can buy pasta made out of corn or rice flour. Rice Chips, and I know they might not taste as good, but they have so many different good kinds now. I just bought a brownie mix, which is wheat and gluten free. Also, when you buy sauces or those littel dinners, even though you might think, there shouldn't be any wheat in there, most of the time you can read it under the ingredients. The good part about gluten free diet, you don't have to eliminate sweets and even bread. They have so many alternatives out there.

With me the problem is, as soon as I know I can't eat something, I want it even more, even though I might not really eat it that often.

Unfortunatly I am not lucky so far with this wheat and mostly gluten free diet. If I could just see or feel a slight improvement after these 10 days, I would feel optimistic. I will have my mom in town next friday and she will cook non stop, so I guess, if I haven't seen any results by then, I'll give up.

Does anyone of you think 2.5 weeks should be enough to see a small percentage of improvement?

I wish I could afford a blood test to see if I have a food intolerance, but that's $200. But I will get a regular blood test to see if I have any deficiencies, that's about $80. My insurance doesn't cover any lab work.

My last hopes where in a wheat free diet (I don't even consume any dairy for the most part) but I guess I will never have this problem solved.

Kat

#25 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 February 2005 - 09:16 PM

"Sugar you can replace with fruit leathers, fruit, honey, cocoa, Rice Dream, hemp ice cream, soy ice cream, etc.,"

?? Have you found a sugar-free soy ice-cream??

#26 Ashleypanda

Ashleypanda

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2005 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE(cjb @ Feb 17 2005, 10:16 PM)
"Sugar you can replace with fruit leathers, fruit, honey, cocoa, Rice Dream, hemp ice cream, soy ice cream, etc.,"

?? Have you found a sugar-free soy ice-cream??

View Post

Imagine Foods has Soy Dream and Rice Dream...there are sugars, but they're cane juice and unsweetened cocoa, etc...the only one that has gluten in it is Chocolate Fudge Brownie as far as I know.

#27 Ashleypanda

Ashleypanda

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2005 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE(kat1 @ Feb 17 2005, 07:15 PM)

Does anyone of you think 2.5 weeks should be enough to see a small percentage of improvement?

I wish I could afford a blood test to see if I have a food intolerance, but that's $200. But I will get a regular blood test to see if I have any deficiencies, that's about $80. My insurance doesn't cover any lab work.

My last hopes where in a wheat free diet (I don't even consume any dairy for the most part) but I guess I will never have this problem solved.
Kat

View Post

It all depends on you. Like I said, if this does work for you, it could take anywhere from a week to a month or two to start seeing results. It took me app. 1.5 months to start seeing consistent results...I still break out, but definitely no where as near as much as I used to, and I still have foods to cut back on.

I don't believe that just diet will improve your acne...other things, like excerise (yoga, etc.) and socializing and so on can help...if anything, it'll help you keep your mind off your acne for a while.

I've gotten sensitivities tests done eight times (different then blood tests), it is expensive, especially as you should go back regularly to see if the intolerance has changed. My only suggestion would be to save up if you really want to get it done. OHIP doesn't cover anything at the enviromental medicine clinic I go to here, so it is expensive.

Just stick in there, even when your mom comes; tell her about your diet, and prepare your own food if you have to. Since you have a problem with wanting things more when you can't have them, now is a good time to start learning self control. Ex: Cooking up your own noodles for spaghetti is no more difficult then cooking up wheat noodles for spaghetti, and no less tasty...even if it's a taste you have to adjust to at the moment.

#28 Goody317

Goody317

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 18 February 2005 - 01:02 PM

I am not trying to be mean or offend anybody, fat ppl have perfect skin, they don't break out. Even if you stop eating complely and just drink water for a month doesn't mean you are cured since u are not eating anything. You are still going to break out, just get it on your mind that eating healthy helps you look healthier, eating what everyone eats is not going to make you break out.

JUST EAT CONSCIENCELY NEVER STRESS YOUR SELF OUT BECAUSE OF WHAT YOU EAT.

#29 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE(Ashleypanda @ Feb 18 2005, 11:29 AM)
Imagine Foods has Soy Dream and Rice Dream...there are sugars, but they're cane juice and unsweetened cocoa, etc...the only one that has gluten in it is Chocolate Fudge Brownie as far as I know.

View Post

uh huh. Okay. cane juice=sugar

#30 Ashleypanda

Ashleypanda

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2005 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE(cjb @ Feb 18 2005, 07:17 PM)
uh huh.  Okay.  cane juice=sugar

View Post

Ah well, sorry I didn't realize you were eliminating all sugar. I eat sugar in moderation and I was tired, so I didn't take it into consideration that people would be completely stopping sugar.

#31 Ashleypanda

Ashleypanda

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2005 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE(Goody317 @ Feb 18 2005, 02:02 PM)
I am not trying to be mean or offend anybody, fat ppl have perfect skin, they don't break out. Even if you stop eating complely and just drink water for a month doesn't mean you are cured since u are not eating anything. You are still going to break out, just get it on your mind that eating healthy helps you look healthier, eating what everyone eats is not going to make you break out.

JUST EAT CONSCIENCELY NEVER STRESS YOUR SELF OUT BECAUSE OF WHAT YOU EAT.

View Post

I don't think food is going to cure everybodys' problems, but I know from my own experience that my skin gets irritated and breaks out from certain foods, which I'm sensitive to. ..and I know quite a few people with the same problem. I'm definitely not saying food causes acne, directly, for everyone. And of course I would probably still break out, if I was just drinking water, I'd be lacking proper nutrients and I'd probably get sick.

#32 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2005 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE(xheatherleighx @ Feb 17 2005, 11:35 AM)
I am new to this board but felt compelled to give my input on this matter.  I have given up all wheat, dairy and refined sugar products approximately 5-6 weeks ago.  I have noticed a MAJOR improvement with regard to my cystic acne.  Since I've eliminated these products I've been cyst free.  However, I do still develop smaller pimples, that are healing within 2-3 days.  How long has it taken others with this approach to completely clear?

I've suffered from acne for almost 20 years now, so after trying everything else under the sun with no success - this is wonderful!  It takes constant dedication, but if it's it what I must to do to remain acne free - I'll do it!!  Plus the increased mental clarity and energy levels are awesome! biggrin.gif

View Post

Could you please tell me if you still ate fruit, nuts and proteins? I mean is the only change the wheat, dairy and refined sugar? Thanks, and you should feel empowered that you did this for yourself. eusa_dance.gif

#33 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2005 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE(Whatsup @ Feb 16 2005, 08:58 PM)
hey sweetjade, i actually cut out wheat too the last few weeks. Plus i added a lot of natural foods to my diet.  I'll just say that im pretty much 100% clear and yea i do believe its because i cut out wheat, but i did also cut out dairy.  In the near future if im as clear as i am now and my skin continues to look better ill post my diet routine.  Later sweetjade, im a fan of yours by the way  eusa_angel.gif

View Post

Definately post it. I still have yet to post mine, but I guess I could put it in the signature...hmm.

#34 xmarysue

xmarysue

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2005 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE(Minnym0use @ Feb 19 2005, 08:23 PM)
Could you please tell me if you still ate fruit, nuts and proteins?  I mean is the only change the wheat, dairy and refined sugar?  Thanks, and you should feel empowered that you did this for yourself. eusa_dance.gif

View Post

Thankyou Minnymouse! smile.gif I do still eat fruit (only at breakfast) and nuts (mostly almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds and will soon get some brazil nuts)... and my proteins are from fish 2-3x week (mostly salmon), chicken, occasional soy yogurt and plain soy crisps. I plan to eliminate the chicken completely to see if that doesn't help my skin further. I'm still developing smaller pimples, but they heal quicker. Today I developed my first cyst since I began my new diet- it's one that in the past reoccurs over and over in the same spot and i am SO so frustrated with it!! However, even still, I do feel empowered, because I feel after almost 20 years with acne I may have some control. I wish I knew what exactly brought on the cyst. The most (only) difficult part of the diet for me has been eliminating my morning coffee and I've had a couple relaspes, one of which was two days ago. Perhaps it's to blame for the cyst. I tried not to get too down on myself today over it and hope it heals quickly at least! doubt.gif

#35 DeVa

DeVa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2005 - 07:43 PM

I have stopped eating rice, pasta, and white bread for a while now, and I have seen a complete change in my skin. I used to have cystic acne, and now I hardly break out. I also cut off some sweets that I used to eat all the time, and even though I still have chocolate every once in a while, It doesn't hurt me. I even eat two pieces of wheat bread a day, and I'm still good. Just have to eat in moderation. I really believe that acne has a lot to do with diet because of how it helped me lately. Rock on everyone who is trying this smile.gif