Photo

Weakest Link of Acne

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 drastikdynasty2004

drastikdynasty2004

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 February 2005 - 09:02 PM

"The pathogenesis of acne vulgaris is multifactorial. Four key factors are responsible for the development of an acne lesion: follicular epidermal hyperproliferation and hyperkeratinization, excess sebum, Propionibacterium acnes, and inflammation."

For those who don't understand those big words its saying that acne is caused by four reasons:

1. Inflammation = A response to cellular injury
2. Excess Sebum = Too Much Oil
3. P. Acnes = The Bacteria
4. Hyperkeratinization = Improper shedding of skin cells (sticky cells)

As with everything there has to be a weak link or "the weakest link". Without it everything would just fail right? So if we can find the weakest link to what causes acne everybody would be cured from it. It wouldn't matter what race you are or your skin type..nothing. Without that piece acne just wouldn't be possible.

1. Inflammation is a natural body response. Getting rid of this would be harmful to our body because it would not be able to rid itself of noxious agents. If we got rid of it though, I do still believe we would have acne.

2. So say we can control our sebum production with B5 there would be no acne right? But Hyperkeratinization would still occur and clog our pores and we'll just end up with flat whiteheads. The bacteria would still thrive in the clogged pore and as a result we'll have a inflammatory response. So sebum production couldn't be the weakest link........?

3. P. Acnes I have read places can be cured by cashews? I have no clue about this but B.P. (Benzoyl Peroxide) would kill the bacteria also. Would we still have acne? HK (Hyperkeratinization) would still occur and clog our pores. Then sebum would start collecting and voila we have a pimple still.

4. If skin cells were to shed properly and not clog our pores then acne wouldn't be a problem! The excess sebum would just make or face oily and we'd be able to wash it off with soap. Since the sebum isn't stagnant anymore inside a clogged pore then the bacteria wouldn't be able to thrive. Inflammation wouldn't be a problem also because none of the other factors would be there.

So if we want to cure acne we have to somehow find a way to make HK normal again. Simply because that is the weakest link and without it none of the other factors would be possible. So how can we get it back to normal again? What happens during puberty that doesn't happen in adolesence that causes us to improperly shed our skin cells?

#2 MartinaL

MartinaL

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 February 2005 - 09:05 PM

This post was very interesting....so maybe the baking soda/vinegar regimen is a good start to shed away dead skin and rid the weakest link!!!!!!!!!! ....damn i wish we had that old woman saying it for us...
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules][image removed by sigbot--see board rules][image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#3 doktrin

doktrin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 February 2005 - 02:06 AM

Good post dude(ette)
thinkin out loud
I believe the primary function of topical retinoids like retin-a and differin is to normalize keratinization, as well as salycilic acid (or maybe thats just a shed-der, im not sure tongue.gif ).
Im also under the impression that in addition to pretty much killing sebum production, accutane bein a vitamin A derivative also helps promote normal keratinization.

So i guess a logical start to a more long term solution to hyperkeratinization might be to ingest a good amount of vitamin A, as well as all those other vitamins that are reputedly good for healthy skin regeneration (E, B2, B6, C, Zinc, sunlight (D) come to mind). Personally I'm lookin to change my diet to include more of those vitamins through food alone, as well as mebbe gettin myself a sun-lamp of some kind cause i live in a dark and rainy climate.
peace

#4 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 06 February 2005 - 02:08 AM

Lol, I posted this exact same thing in another thread a few days ago. I agree, If keratinization was normalized there wouldn't be any clogged pores.

That's why sulphur works for some. It's also why that long thread on that glycolic acid lotion has helped many, because glycolic loosens the bonds of the sticky cells. Of course these are just superficial answers and I haven't really found anything that shows why exfoliation is abnormal(I admit I haven't looked hard though).

#5 Mad ID

Mad ID

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 February 2005 - 07:33 AM

QUOTE(drastikdynasty2004 @ Feb 6 2005, 04:02 AM)
4. If skin cells were to shed properly and not clog our pores then acne wouldn't be a problem! The excess sebum would just make or face oily and we'd be able to wash it off with soap. Since the sebum isn't stagnant anymore inside a clogged pore then the bacteria wouldn't be able to thrive. Inflammation wouldn't be a problem also because none of the other factors would be there.

View Post

Hello.
I'm using 13% AHA every night for 2 weeks now. I have ULTRA oily skin and no results so far. My derm says(sad?) it takes 6 weeks to see some results.
I will let you know because AHA does that what you want.

[Sorry for bad eng, correct me!]

#6 drastikdynasty2004

drastikdynasty2004

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 February 2005 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE(doktrin @ Feb 6 2005, 04:06 AM)
Good post dude(ette)
thinkin out loud
I believe the primary function of topical retinoids like retin-a and differin is to normalize keratinization, as well as salycilic acid (or maybe thats just a shed-der, im not sure tongue.gif ). 
Im also under the impression that in addition to pretty much killing sebum production, accutane bein a vitamin A derivative also helps promote normal keratinization. 

So i guess a logical start to a more long term solution to hyperkeratinization might be to ingest a good amount of vitamin A, as well as all  those other vitamins that are reputedly good for healthy skin regeneration (E, B2, B6, C, Zinc, sunlight (D) come to mind).  Personally I'm lookin to change my diet to include more of those vitamins through food alone, as well as mebbe gettin myself a sun-lamp of some kind cause i live in a dark and rainy climate. 
peace

View Post

Topicals wouldn't be an answer because it is something that is happening internally. Even though I do believe diet is the greatest factor in improving acne I still would like to know why we differ from somebody that isn't acne prone? Why is it that during puberty hyperkeratinization isn't a problem for them? They can eat all the junk food that they want but still not have a single blemish. What makes our cells proliferate (multiply) so rapidly and cause our pores to clog? Is something off in our "system"? If so, what is it then? Not enough Vit. A? D3? E? Opti-Zinc?

#7 MartinaL

MartinaL

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 February 2005 - 01:17 PM

do you take sulfur tablets...?...what other vitamins are you taking...?
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules][image removed by sigbot--see board rules][image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#8 drastikdynasty2004

drastikdynasty2004

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 February 2005 - 01:47 PM

No I havent taken sulfur tablets. What are they suppose to do?

#9 MartinaL

MartinaL

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 February 2005 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE(blackbirdbeatle @ Feb 6 2005, 03:08 AM)
Lol, I posted this exact same thing in another thread a few days ago. I agree, If keratinization was normalized there wouldn't be any clogged pores.

That's why sulphur works for some. It's also why that long thread on that glycolic acid lotion has helped many, because glycolic loosens the bonds of the sticky cells. Of course these are just superficial answers and I haven't really found anything that shows why exfoliation is abnormal(I admit I haven't looked hard though).

View Post

i was wondering how sulfur works out in response to this post...im sorry i didnt quote it before..i made it unclear...so yea...what are these...pills?...what

#10 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 February 2005 - 03:39 PM

I'm, not sure if sulphur would help internally with keratinization. It may lessen the production of keratin. Many things do that. I just know that it regulates skin exfoliation when used topically.

There is a product, Sulfa Derm(Do you americans spell it as sulfur or sulphur?). Anyways it's 20.00 and it is 98% or so pure volcanic sulphur and the rest is zinc oxide(The thing in baby rash ointments that some people really like and is a sunblock). It's a cream or moisturizer of some sort but on boards like essentialspa(Sp?) and others for excema and psoriosis(SP again?), it has worked wonders.

Lol, I've posted about 20 different things this week that works wonders. Just goes to show that what works well for one doesn't for the other.

#11 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2005 - 05:00 PM

keratin is a protein, of which there are many different forms. so aside from hyperkeratinization, maybe acne is also related to the types of keratin produced. this could relate to some of the genetic aspects of acne, seeing as DNA provides the blueprint for every protein.

#12 clayjar

clayjar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 February 2005 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE(drastikdynasty2004 @ Feb 6 2005, 09:19 AM)
Topicals wouldn't be an answer because it is something that is happening internally. Even though I do believe diet is the greatest factor in improving acne I still would like to know why we differ from somebody that isn't acne prone? Why is it that during puberty hyperkeratinization isn't a problem for them? They can eat all the junk food that they want but still not have a single blemish. What makes our cells proliferate (multiply) so rapidly and cause our pores to clog? Is something off in our "system"? If so, what is it then? Not enough Vit. A? D3? E? Opti-Zinc?

View Post

It appears that it would be hormones right? There are so many differ hormones with so many differ functions. I would think the only way to truly figure it out (if even possible) would be to have an endocrinologist examine ALL hormone levels, and then find a NATURAL way (if possible) to balance them. Then there is that issue of liver health again. The liver helps produce hormones and filter excess amounts so it only makes sense that the liver should be taken well care of.
HOPE