Photo

Chocolate mystery

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 kx711

kx711

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 January 2005 - 09:05 PM

We all know that there is an old study concluding chocolate does not affect acne (this was later extrapolated to 'diet does not affect acne' - the conventional medical wisdom still now).

Like most people with acne, I took my own personal experience over this study - it seemed that chocolate really did contribute to breaking out.

Now, recently I learned of the insulin / acne link. So I started thinking that maybe it wasn't the chocolate, but rather the sugar and the milk in it. Sugar and milk (or some components of it, anyway) are insulin no-nos.

So I started to drink large amounts of chocolate the way the Aztecs did - cocoa and water. No sugar, no milk (at first I found it quite bitter, but now I love the stuff, it's even better than the finest coffee ...)

I haven't been breaking out on this. BUT ... I recently found a study concluding that cocoa is IN ITSELF highly insulinotropic. So if the insulin link is the key, I should still be suffering for this.

What's going on? Any ideas?

#2 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 January 2005 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE(kx711 @ Jan 31 2005, 08:05 PM)
We all know that there is an old study concluding chocolate does not affect acne (this was later extrapolated to 'diet does not affect acne' - the conventional medical wisdom still now).

Like most people with acne, I took my own personal experience over this study - it seemed that chocolate really did contribute to breaking out.

Now, recently I learned of the insulin / acne link. So I started thinking that maybe it wasn't the chocolate, but rather the sugar and the milk in it. Sugar and milk (or some components of it, anyway) are insulin no-nos.

So I started to drink large amounts of chocolate the way the Aztecs did - cocoa and water. No sugar, no milk (at first I found it quite bitter, but now I love the stuff, it's even better than the finest coffee ...)

I haven't been breaking out on this. BUT ... I recently found a study concluding that cocoa is IN ITSELF highly insulinotropic. So if the insulin link is the key, I should still be suffering for this.

View Post

Where do you get pure Cocoa with no added sugars?

#3 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 January 2005 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE(SteveLewis @ Jan 31 2005, 08:26 PM)

View Post

Cocoa powder, I'm guessing? It would be in the baking aisle. Steve, how was your liver flush?
My regimen:

Eat regularly: a wide variety of vegetables, eggs, meat/fish, cheese, yogurt, butter, fruit, nuts/seeds.

Occasionally eat: beans, squash, potatoes.

Don't eat: sugar, grains, most processed food.

#4 conan

conan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 February 2005 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE(kx711 @ Feb 1 2005, 03:05 AM)

View Post

If the information at http://www.waisays.com/ is correct, then acne is due to the consumption of so-called 'dirty protein' leading to water retention and blah blah blah, (it's a very long read).
It would seem, therefore, that it is the protein in the milk that causes acne and not the added sugar. I only ever eat 85% cocoa chocolate nowadays. Not only is it nicer but I find that eating normal chocolate DOES make me break out a bit, and I eat less of it because it's far richer.

Mind you, everyone is different, so you'd need to test it for yourself.

#5 beautiful man

beautiful man

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 February 2005 - 08:20 PM

s evil.gif o protein causes acne? that sucks for a body builder... evil.gif evil.gif evil.gif evil.gif

#6 conan

conan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2005 - 07:51 AM

QUOTE(beautiful man @ Feb 2 2005, 02:20 AM)
s evil.gif o protein causes acne?  that sucks for a body builder... evil.gif  evil.gif  evil.gif  evil.gif

View Post

According to that website it does, and the information she has gathered seems to have come from reputable sources. Mind you, protein doesn't seem to cause acne in those people who eat crap all day long, so it just depends on you.
I've cut down on wheat the past week, and have been having fruit and nuts for lunch every day. It's probably too early to tell if it's having any effect on my acne, (which is infact very mild indeed, but the spots I do get I tend to pick at, so I've got quite a few red marks around my chin area).

#7 kx711

kx711

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2005 - 08:58 PM

I've been living on eggs, meat, animal fat and leafy veg and nuts for a month. Skin's never looked better since Accutane. As far as I can see, protein isn't the problem - it's high GI foods.

Stay the hell away from bread, pasta, rice and sugar. It really seems to be working for me (though I shouldn't have said that - sure jinx!)

#8 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2005 - 11:31 PM

QUOTE(kx711 @ Feb 2 2005, 07:58 PM)
I've been living on eggs, meat, animal fat and leafy veg and nuts for a month. Skin's never looked better since Accutane. As far as I can see, protein isn't the problem - it's high GI foods.

Stay the hell away from bread, pasta, rice and sugar. It really seems to be working for me (though I shouldn't have said that - sure jinx!)

View Post

There are many types of proteins, some of which we are avoiding on this board (glutens, "evil" lectins, whey, soy), so they are not at all made alike. In fact, there was a study recently released that showed a correlation between those that consumed the most dairy products and had the most severe acne and were consuming of all things, SKIM MILK. Yup, so that knocks out the possibility that it's fat in dairy, and well because it's skim milk, they actually add more protein to it. Ever notice that skim milk has 1 gram more than at least regular milk?
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#9 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2005 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE(SteveLewis @ Jan 31 2005, 08:26 PM)

View Post

Steve search around for pure cocoa or cacoa powder (add cocoa butter, etc for chocolate or mix with favorite "milk"), or the raw beans. Then add xylitol to them if you want/need it to be sweetened.
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.