Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kx711

Chocolate mystery

9 posts in this topic

We all know that there is an old study concluding chocolate does not affect acne (this was later extrapolated to 'diet does not affect acne' - the conventional medical wisdom still now).

Like most people with acne, I took my own personal experience over this study - it seemed that chocolate really did contribute to breaking out.

Now, recently I learned of the insulin / acne link. So I started thinking that maybe it wasn't the chocolate, but rather the sugar and the milk in it. Sugar and milk (or some components of it, anyway) are insulin no-nos.

So I started to drink large amounts of chocolate the way the Aztecs did - cocoa and water. No sugar, no milk (at first I found it quite bitter, but now I love the stuff, it's even better than the finest coffee ...)

I haven't been breaking out on this. BUT ... I recently found a study concluding that cocoa is IN ITSELF highly insulinotropic. So if the insulin link is the key, I should still be suffering for this.

What's going on? Any ideas?

We all know that there is an old study concluding chocolate does not affect acne (this was later extrapolated to 'diet does not affect acne' - the conventional medical wisdom still now).

Like most people with acne, I took my own personal experience over this study - it seemed that chocolate really did contribute to breaking out.

Now, recently I learned of the insulin / acne link. So I started thinking that maybe it wasn't the chocolate, but rather the sugar and the milk in it. Sugar and milk (or some components of it, anyway) are insulin no-nos.

So I started to drink large amounts of chocolate the way the Aztecs did - cocoa and water. No sugar, no milk (at first I found it quite bitter, but now I love the stuff, it's even better than the finest coffee ...)

I haven't been breaking out on this. BUT ... I recently found a study concluding that cocoa is IN ITSELF highly insulinotropic. So if the insulin link is the key, I should still be suffering for this.

What's going on? Any ideas?

Where do you get pure Cocoa with no added sugars?

My regimen:

Eat regularly: a wide variety of vegetables, eggs, meat/fish, cheese, yogurt, butter, fruit, nuts/seeds.

Occasionally eat: beans, squash, potatoes.

Don't eat: sugar, grains, most processed food.

I've been living on eggs, meat, animal fat and leafy veg and nuts for a month. Skin's never looked better since Accutane. As far as I can see, protein isn't the problem - it's high GI foods.

Stay the hell away from bread, pasta, rice and sugar. It really seems to be working for me (though I shouldn't have said that - sure jinx!)

I've been living on eggs, meat, animal fat and leafy veg and nuts for a month. Skin's never looked better since Accutane. As far as I can see, protein isn't the problem - it's high GI foods.

Stay the hell away from bread, pasta, rice and sugar. It really seems to be working for me (though I shouldn't have said that - sure jinx!)

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)

* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)

* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

* Strengthen/Repair GI - Immune health

Research:

* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).

* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

Where do you get pure Cocoa with no added sugars?

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)

* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)

* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

* Strengthen/Repair GI - Immune health

Research:

* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).

* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.