Photo

PURPURA post VBEAM

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 truepink305

truepink305

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2005 - 09:55 PM

Three days ago I had Vbeam and now I dark purpura all over my face. I am so depressed--when I go outside (which I am trying to avoid as much as possible) people look away quickly or just stare. I looked diseased.

I have been to see 3 doctors post treatment, none of them can tell me what to expect or time frame that this might improve. I have been on 30 mg of accutane for 2 months, and prior to that on 20 mg for 2 months. I read that lasers should not be used for 12-16 mnths post accutane, but my Dr supposedly did "pioneering" work in this area and said it was just fine with accutane.

I went and bought dermablend yesterday--two girls worked on my face for about an hour and a half, but the results are still awful. The marks show through the cover up, and to make things worse, none of the shades even really matches my skin. I had to buy two, and "layer" them to get a closer color match. It still looks like I have cement on my face, and sooo fake. I am not sure if it is better to go around w/out dermablend on (and risk shocking people) or to cake on this stuff and look weird closer up. I am attaching pics. These two are just of the sides, there are more on my forehead, nose and the front pic is just to awful to post. Has this happened to anyone? I am really really scared.

I have small burst blood vessels from yrs ago on other parts of my body and they are not only old but look brand new still! I am terrified that this new staining will not go away, and if it does a little, that it will still be quite dark. Help!!

Attached Files

• Attached File  pic1.jpg   31.25K   2211 downloads
  • Attached File  pic3.jpg   39.09K   2376 downloads

#2 wza

wza

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 22
About Me

Posted 29 January 2005 - 10:00 PM

wait wait wait.. so you had vbeam done how long after stopping tane? or did you have it done while ON tane??

if your doctor did vbeam while you were on tane it ought to be considered malpractice. i'd see if you can bring a lawsuit to his ass because it's repeated over and over in the accutane documentation not to have any skin procedures done until 6months after stopped tane

#3 truepink305

truepink305

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2005 - 10:05 PM

I am still on accutane--its been four months total and my Doc told me not to go off. I am so scared. If anyone else is thinking of vbeam I hope they will see these pics first. It should NEVER happen to anyone.

QUOTE(truepink305 @ Jan 30 2005, 03:55 AM)
Three days ago I had Vbeam and now I dark purpura all over my face. I am so depressed--when I go outside (which I am trying to avoid as much as possible) people look away quickly or just stare. I looked diseased.

I have been to see 3 doctors post treatment, none of them can tell me what to expect or time frame that this might improve. I have been on 30 mg of accutane for 2 months, and prior to that on 20 mg for 2 months. I read that lasers should not be used for 12-16 mnths post accutane, but my Dr supposedly did "pioneering" work in this area and said it was just fine with accutane.

I went and bought dermablend yesterday--two girls worked on my face for about an hour and a half, but the results are still awful. The marks show through the cover up, and to make things worse, none of the shades even really matches my skin. I had to buy two, and "layer" them to get a closer color match. It still looks like I have cement on my face, and sooo fake. I am not sure if it is better to go around w/out dermablend on (and risk shocking people) or to cake on this stuff and look weird closer up. I am attaching pics. These two are just of the sides, there are more on my forehead, nose and the front pic is just to awful to post. Has this happened to anyone? I am really really scared.

I have small burst blood vessels from yrs ago on other parts of my body and they are not only old but look brand new still! I am terrified that this new staining will not go away, and if it does a little, that it will still be quite dark. Help!!

View Post

#4 Guest_Brandon_*

Guest_Brandon_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 29 January 2005 - 10:16 PM

I think that was a grievous mistake on your doctor's part to say it would be fine while on Accutane. You may have been a guinea pig for him. I've never heard of anyone doing any procedure remotely harsh like that even months after accutane, let alone on it. I'd hold him responsible if it doesn't go away! What a jerkoff. You look so sad in those pictures...

#5 wza

wza

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2005 - 11:02 PM

Vbeam isnt the problem, its your doctor doing vbeam on you while you're on accutane. I've had vbeam done before accutane without problems. Def find out if you can sue the doc

#6 Guest_Zitro_*

Guest_Zitro_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 30 January 2005 - 09:33 AM

I don't think that Vbeam is the main problem on what has happened, but now I wouldn't ever consider doing that.

Ask for help with derms as soon as possible, to give you some treatments on those spots, but because of the accutane it's a problem ... I'm sorry, sweety, but I'd better not give advice when I know none.

You did not deserve that. The doctor did malpractice on you and is the one to blame on. You said that you were on the accutane, and it clearly states that you cannot get skin treatments, facials or that stuff. Just like people here said, you can benefit by sueing the doctor, and if it feels a little greedy to you, you can donate a percent for charity and you'll feel great.

Bye. Good luck.

#7 wza

wza

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 January 2005 - 09:38 AM

lol screw that, sue him for every penny... "pioneering" won't hold up in a malpractice case. a doctor can "pioneer" things but in today's world that means experiments with control groups, documented in hospitals or labs under strict supervision. he can't just say but i "pioneered" using VBeam on patients who were on accutane without this being approved by medical board of doctors. you'd probably win the case less you signed a form with him that specifically states something about giving up your rights to sue him for using lasers while you're on accutane

#8 Guest_Zitro_*

Guest_Zitro_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 30 January 2005 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE(truepink305 @ Jan 29 2005, 10:55 PM)
I read that lasers should not be used for 12-16 mnths post accutane, but my Dr supposedly did "pioneering" work in this area and said it was just fine with accutane.

View Post

pioneering = exploring new ways ... experimenting !? shock.gif

I didn't read that word before , you can easily sue him for making you a subject for an experiment.

#9 tricia

tricia

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 30 January 2005 - 10:51 AM

Hi, I am so sorry for what happened. I just got a test spot of v-beam done 3 days ago too, and the doctor said to expect bruising for up to 3 weeks max, however I didn't even bruise, and wondering if I will see any change at all. It did swell considerably for the first 24 hours and look really red but it has gone back to just looking scarred now. I can't believe your doctor didn't just do a test spot for the first time, especially since you are on accutane. What has the doctor said since? Perhaps in a few more weeks it will resolve. It's hard to be patient but I would definitely sue like said earlier if it doesn't resolve. You also may want to get off accutane now so your body will heal faster. You are young so I am thinking it won't be a permanent thing.

#10 HEH

HEH

I will dance on your grave!

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 January 2005 - 12:03 PM

SUE YOUR FUCKING DOCTOR..... or just kick him in the nuts.... i'd do both

#11 truepink305

truepink305

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 30 January 2005 - 12:38 PM

It sounds like yr Dr is doing the right thing--a test spot is very wise. That way you won't have any big surprises.

I think my Dr took this chance b/c I had vbeam before, when I was on 20mg and hadn't been on the med for much time. The last treatment only made my face red and puffy, which isn't great, but lately people were telling me how good my skin was looking, so I thought this was related, the laser and 'tane working together. One of the new Drs I saw (2nd opinion) said that he has heard that other derms are using lasers on accutane patients (in our area, NYC). Hopefully this won't be something that catches on elsewhere.

I think one of the worst parts about this is that I now have these dark spots in areas where I never even had break outs to begin with. I 'll update pics if things get better, which I am hoping against hope they will. I really appreciate everyone's support. My friends have perfect skin so they don't quite understand how this feels, even though they are trying to be nice about it.

QUOTE(tricia @ Jan 30 2005, 04:51 PM)
Hi, I am so sorry for what happened. I just got a test spot of v-beam done 3 days ago too, and the doctor said to expect bruising for up to 3 weeks max, however I didn't even bruise, and wondering if I will see any change at all. It did swell considerably for the first 24 hours and look really red but it has gone back to just looking scarred now.  I can't believe your doctor didn't just do a test spot for the first time, especially since you are on accutane.  What has the doctor said since?  Perhaps in a few more weeks it will resolve.  It's hard to be patient but I would definitely sue like said earlier if it doesn't resolve.  You also may want to get off accutane now so your body will heal faster.  You are young so I am thinking it won't be a permanent thing.

View Post

#12 asturi

asturi

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE(truepink305 @ Jan 30 2005, 04:55 AM)

View Post

#13 asturi

asturi

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:14 PM

truepink305 how is your skin doing now, i feel so bad for you, i had a similar problem and am now improving but not fast enough. Just wanted to know how much improvement you have had and if you have indented areas where the purpura was

#14 thomas69

thomas69

random fact: defecate regularly to inhibit breakouts

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:26 PM

shit dude i agree with wza and HEH for the ball kicking.. you should seriously do something about this guy, and press for COURT JUSTICE!
just dont go on judge judy.. shes a bitch

#15 JulietteR

JulietteR

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2005 - 01:01 AM

Truepink,

I don't know if this makes you feel any better, but I had V-beam last August and I had purpuas worse than the ones shown in your pictures. Like you, I was completely horrified, even though the dr told me to expect as much because she was going to be very aggressive with the laser. Still, I wasn't prepared for how bad they would look. I even had to call her the next day for reassurances that I wasn't scarred for life.

She told me they would be mostly gone by the end of a week and should be completely gone by the end of two weeks. She also told me to stand in the shower a couple of times a day and let the water hit the purple marks (something about the pressure breaking up the clotting) and that would help them go away faster. I didn't think there would be any way the marks would be gone by a week and I thought the shower thing sounded crazy, but I did it anyway and it turned out she was right...the purple marks disappeared completely in 8 days.

Now, I wasn't on Accutane at the time of my treatment, but I was on aspirin therapy, which also could have contributed to my bruising. Anyway, I don't think you are permanently disfigured, so try to stop worrying. However, I agree with everyone else that your dr shouldn't have performed the procedure during your Accutane treatment.

As far as suing him for malpractice--unless you suffer some type of damage beyond the bruising you currently have (because I definitely think the bruising will clear up) you would have a hard time pursuing a cause of action.

I hope this helps a little. Good luck and hang in there. I think the marks will be gone soon and I bet your skin will look beautiful!

#16 natalia321

natalia321

<3

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2005 - 02:03 AM

Yeah, I also had some of Vbeam treatments, and I got some of those those too. They weren't quite as bad as yours though, but nonetheless noticeable! I didn't try the shower thing, but I moisturized them a lot, and it took about 2 weeks for mine to go away.

#17 dermpatron

dermpatron

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2005 - 02:15 AM

Holy Cow TruePink! You have a great complexion even with the few marks! Hope your marks clear within the next few weeks. : )

#18 Giana

Giana

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2005 - 08:44 PM

I had the same problem although mine was along my jaw area. Anyway, my derm gave me Dermatop ointment and it went away after 2 days. Ask your doctor about this and you should really sun exposure.

#19 truepink305

truepink305

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2005 - 10:19 AM

I am really happy to say that the purpura is mostly gone now. On the left side of my face, which was hit the hardest, it is not 100% gone, and you can definitely still see it. I tried different types of cover up like dermablend, but it made things look worse--you could still see color beneath the concealer, and it just looked too obvious. One of the guys I work with told me recently that it was "a lot better" than before. At least when I go out now people don't stare at me or look scared. That was pretty difficult. I don't even try to cover it up now, and yes, it is slightly indented where the marks were. I wasn't expecting that part. I am finishing accutane this week ( 6 wks earlier than planned), I think I have just had enough already! Thank you everyone for your messages and support, it has helped a lot:)

#20 Guest_Zitro_*

Guest_Zitro_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 19 March 2005 - 04:05 PM

I'm glad to hear that they are healing ... I was worried