Chronic Diarrhea

4 replies to this topic

#1 Cali90

Cali90

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 10:24 PM

I need some help. For the last couple months, I have had chronic diarrhea. I got to the bathroom a lot and have small little, green, smelly, mucousy stools (usually with whole, undigested foods). (Sorry for the image) I put my hand in the toilet and felt my stool and it feels very mucousy. It's defintiely diarrhea. I need help. Here are some possible causes:

-Parasites (it started shortly after using tinctures; but I stopped them and it persisted)
-Supplements (i stopped all of them yesterday)

- Food Intolerance (i seem to be having the same basic structure for every meal and I am really scared about a food intolerance)
-Too much fiber/veggies (I have been eating 85% vegetable or more

It's really annoying, because I feel like I am depleting myself of electroyetes and I thought that improving my diet would better my stools. Please help!!!

P.S. I haven't changed much since I got dirrahea in terms of food.

#2 ~TEPL0~

~TEPL0~

back from the dead

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2005 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE(Cali90 @ Jan 28 2005, 10:24 PM)
I put my hand in the toilet and felt my stool and it feels very mucousy.

View Post

Eeeeeeeeewwwwwww!!!!! are you out of your fucking mind??!!

See a doctor for godsakes!! and a shrink while you're at it...

#3 Charlesworth

Charlesworth

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2005 - 03:45 AM

I'm pretty sure he's trying to screw with us. eusa_eh.gif

#4 ritzvin

ritzvin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2005 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE(Cali90 @ Jan 28 2005, 11:24 PM)
I need some help. For the last couple months, I have had chronic diarrhea. I got to the bathroom a lot and have small little, green, smelly, mucousy stools (usually with whole, undigested foods). (Sorry for the image) I put my hand in the toilet and felt my stool and it feels very mucousy. It's defintiely diarrhea. I need help. Here are some possible causes:
-Parasites (it started shortly after using tinctures; but I stopped them and it persisted)
-Supplements (i stopped all of them yesterday)

- Food Intolerance (i seem to be having the same basic structure for every meal and I am really scared about a food intolerance)
-Too much fiber/veggies (I have been eating 85% vegetable or more

It's really annoying, because I feel like I am depleting myself of electroyetes and I thought that improving my diet would better my stools. Please help!!!

P.S. I haven't changed much since I got dirrahea in terms of food.

View Post

Go to your doctor..if it's been going on for that long, then something is wrong. The only thing I can think of is to get tested for food allergies. Your doctor might have other suggestions as well.
99.5% Clear (skin gets 'congested' PMS week, but no actual breakouts)
---------------------------
Fragrance-Free Baby Wipes + a few drops Rimmel Makeup Remover solution
3/4 AHA Toner* & 1/4 Glycerin (cotton pad) -- good toner, moisturizer, and makeup base (use less glycerin if not under makeup)
Occasional Treatments (2-3x/week): Exfoliating bp wash* in shower, 2.5% bp lotion* at night
CoverGirl TruBlend Powder Foundation
* = Klear Action Kit (Pro-Activ knockoff)
Gluten-free diet (for non-acne reasons, but it seems to have cleared my acne)

#5 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2005 - 04:42 PM

Hey you =)

Do you remember around when it started and around that time what you had changed in your diet? More grains or less grains? More or less vegetables, etc? When you say vegetables, what kinds exactly are you eating?

I went through an IBS episode and basically it was because I wasn't getting enough fiber in my diet. Yet I was experiencing spasms, cramps, and noisy stomach, along with the D, are you experiencing other signs of IBS? What I had to do was start taking fiber and I just chose Benefiber (soluble fiber), but I think you may be getting enough soluble fiber and liquid, but perhaps you aren't getting enough insoluble (adds bulk).

To remedy this I think you would want to up your current "safe" grain intake to more than once a day. Or consume (flax seed or) psyllium husks to boost your insoluble fiber. Although I'm a bit confused because you are getting some insoluble from your grains and nuts (and now lentils), but perhaps it's nothing compared to what you get in soluble fiber that your pulling from your vegetable intake, since it is 85% of what you consume.

Ahh, just did some digging and nuts & beans are considered insoluble as well as most vegetables, and well to further confuse things, some foods have both soluble and insoluble but appear to be classified based on what they have the most of. In which case perhaps these charts may help you figure out what type of fiber you are getting the most of (then increase what you are lacking):

What are Dietary Fibers
Most dietary fibers are carbohydrates, but they are not
digestible. The human body lacks the enzymes needed to
breakdown dietary fibers for absorption. As a result, dietary
fibers reach the lower intestine intact. Dietary fibers include
many substances such as cellulose, hemicellulose, gums,
pectins, lignins, mucilages, and tannins.

In general, dietary fibers are divided into two basic types:
insoluble fi bers and soluble fi bers. Both types of fi ber are
important for good health. Insoluble fibers are found in foods
such as wheat bran, corn bran, whole grain breads and cereals,
and vegetables.
Insoluble fibers help with intestinal function.
Insoluble fibers absorb water and swell up in the intestine,
resulting in a larger softer stool that moves through the intestine
easier and faster. Soluble fi bers are found in some fruits, oats,
barley, and legumes.
Soluble fi bers form a gel when water is
added to them. This contributes to a feeling of fullness in the
stomach. Soluble fi bers slow down the rate food leaves the
stomach and some nutrients are absorbed. Soluble fi bers also
help control blood glucose and blood cholesterol levels.

osuextra.okstate.edu/pdfs/T-3138web.pdf 

Food Sources of Fiber
http://www.hsph.harv...urce/fiber.html

SOLUBLE OR INSOLUBLE

Nutrition experts classify fiber as either soluble or insoluble in water. Insoluble fiber, commonly known as roughage, acts as a cleansing agent in the digestive system. It is this coarse fiber that is the outer, protective layer of seeds, known as bran. Insoluble fiber also gives plants and vegetables their firmness.

Once food is digested in the stomach and the nutrients are absorbed through the walls of the small intestine, the "waste" with the undigested fiber is passed into the colon. The colonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s function, then, is to create a solid material to be eliminated by the bowels. The insoluble fiber acts much like a sponge in this process, absorbing water drawn into the colon and thereby increasing the bulk, while softening the stool. The increased bulk of the stool applies pressure to the walls of the colon, stimulating gentle, rhythmic contractions of the colon, known as peristalsis, which then in turn produces the urge to eliminate. The roughage of insoluble fiber, such as the bran portion of grain, is also mildly abrasive and serves to gently scrub the walls of the colon clean during elimination.

Since bulkier stools fill the colon more quickly and the urge to eliminate comes only when the colon is full and pressure exerted, insoluble fiber "shortens the transit time", meaning we will eliminate more frequently and regularly. Do not, however, mistake these more regular, bulky movements with the frequent, yet very loose watery bowel movements of some people. This chronic, diarrhea type of elimination is caused by the abnormal peristalsis contractions of the colon trying to eliminate old built up waste not completely removed before. The watery, loose stool is due to the lack of fiber in the colon to absorb the excess water drawn in by the increased contractions. In actuality, these symptoms are nothing more than advanced complications of constipation.

One should now see that the true cause of constipation, which so readily plagues our nation, is food that is so very completely digested (i.e. lacking fiber) that it leaves no residue, such as fiber, to hold water. To the extent that the fiber can hold or absorb water affects its ability to produce bulk and function as a cleaning agent.

.....The most effective and abundant source of insoluble fiber comes from the bran portion of whole grains. Insoluble fiber is also found in beans, vegetable skins, and firm fruits and vegetable such as broccoli, carrots and apples. No significant fiber of any kind is in lettuce.

Another important aspect of insoluble fiber is that it readily absorbs toxins in the digestive tract. Many researches believe that by speeding the elimination of toxins from the intestinal tract, insoluble fibers lower the risk of developing colon cancer.

http://www.breadbeck...lkuponfiber.htm

(IBS can result in either diarrhea or constipation and according to this, the big "D" is just an early sign of future constipation problems)

Based on the above, since Soluble Fiber (which is what worked for me) absorbs that water, it should thus reduce watery stools. For myself, Benefiber worked the first time and all I was eating that "should" provide fiber was more so refined gluten-free grains, lots of fruits, nuts, seeds, and a few vegetables. Then this past fall, I dropped the nuts and lost more fiber (soluble) and fixed my problem again by eating more vegetables and whole gluten-free grains. As confusing as that was, it pays to know what you're giving up so you know how best to replace it ;-)

Hmm, so what types of vegetables are you eating again? Cuz it seems that vegetables are lumped under the insoluble fiber grouping meaning maybe you need soluble fiber (further supported by the above). Reading up on IBS and fiber, they don't specify which type to use. Yet most fiber supplements are predominantly insoluble, or a combination, so maybe that's what you should try. IF so you take a supplement 2x a day (morning and evening or before dinner) and not with your vitamins or fish oils (as it will bind some of them). If it stops within a few days, then you know that you need to increase your intake of fruits or legumes perhaps, if you don't want to take a supplement permantly. So for your peace of mind (in terms of your diet) and to see if you can get immediate relief try the benefiber or psyllium husks first.

Best wishes
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users