Photo

tap vs. bottled water?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 presrox

presrox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 06:49 PM

i heard tap is better because it has essential nutrients that bottled waters take out. plus tap water is so much easier. you dont have to worry about buying more bottles and running out...its so expensive to live on a bottled water diet...is tap really that bad???

#2 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 06:53 PM

QUOTE(presrox @ Jan 28 2005, 05:49 PM)
i heard tap is better because it has essential nutrients that bottled waters take out. plus tap water is so much easier. you dont have to worry about buying more bottles and running out...its so expensive to live on a bottled water diet...is tap really that bad???

View Post

Tap isn't that bad. Frankly, I prefer the taste of cold filtered tap water to bottle water. Anyway, get a filter for your tap. They're pretty cheap and make water taste much better and remove all sorts of harmul things.

#3 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE(SteveLewis @ Jan 28 2005, 05:53 PM)
Tap isn't that bad. Frankly, I prefer the taste of cold filtered tap water to bottle water. Anyway, get a filter for your tap. They're pretty cheap and make water taste much better and remove all sorts of harmul things.

View Post

It depends on where you live. Mine tastes like a swimming pool, even filtered. Thankfully I have access to spring water, but when I don't, I buy water.

#4 ritzvin

ritzvin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2005 - 11:25 AM

I drink tap..but filtered of course (I don't like the taste of bleached rust). If you'll be drinking a lot of water, that much chlorine and fluorine (and whatever else might be in the water) probably isn't too healthy for you, so you should buy a filter. The water will taste a ton better too.

I can't imagine the amount of nutrients you'd get from (any type of) water being of any significance compared to food.

#5 BlackBetty

BlackBetty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2005 - 08:13 AM

There is one main difference between tap and bottled. That is bottled is stripped of fluride which tap still contains. Fluride is just good for your teeth lol.

#6 The Jack

The Jack

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2005 - 10:04 AM

It really does depend on where you live. The water where I live is so chlorinated that it smells like a swimming pool coming out of the tap. It is worth noting that none of the major brand water pitchers - Brita or PUR - removes chlorine.

I don’t know if any of you has ever broken open an aging water pipe, but I can assure you that you wouldn’t drink out a cup that looked like such a pipe.

#7 ritzvin

ritzvin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2005 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE(The Jack @ Feb 2 2005, 11:04 AM)
It really does depend on where you live. The water where I live is so chlorinated that it smells like a swimming pool coming out of the tap. It is worth noting that none of the major brand water pitchers - Brita or PUR - removes chlorine.

I don’t know if any of you has ever broken open an aging water pipe, but I can assure you that you wouldn’t drink out a cup that looked like such a pipe.

View Post

huh? They DO remove chlorine. Depending on the package, they might state "tastes and odors" instead of stating chlorine and fluorine, though all the packages I've seen do explicitly state removes chlorine and fluorine. Even the brita water bottles remove chlorine (that's about the only thing the portable bottles remove).

#8 RayRay

RayRay

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2005 - 04:38 PM

ive always heard filtered tap is way better than bottled. so i just fill my own bottles every morning (4) and drink throughout the day, its easier and cheaper to just buy a brita system than all those bottled waters
plus my dentist said bottled is bad for your teeth because it has no fluoride

#9 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2005 - 04:59 PM

Toothpaste has flouride, your biannual dentist checkup provides you with a large dose of flouride.

#10 The Jack

The Jack

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 February 2005 - 07:24 AM

QUOTE(ritzvin @ Feb 2 2005, 11:40 AM)
huh? They DO remove chlorine. Depending on the package, they might state "tastes and odors" instead of stating chlorine and fluorine, though all the packages I've seen do explicitly state removes chlorine and fluorine. Even the brita water bottles remove chlorine (that's about the only thing the portable bottles remove).

View Post

I think you are mistaken my friend. The filter pitcher packages state quite clearly that they remove chlorine's “taste and odor� but that does not mean they remove chlorine. If they removed chlorine they would tell you explicitly that they did. If you read the fine print, you will eventually find “Chlorine: Removes taste and Odor Only.� This means, quite clearly, that they do not remove chlorine.

#11 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 February 2005 - 07:28 AM

QUOTE(The Jack @ Feb 3 2005, 06:24 AM)
I think you are mistaken my friend. The filter pitcher packages state quite clearly that they remove chlorine's “taste and odor� but that does not mean they remove chlorine. If they removed chlorine they would tell you explicitly that they did. If you read the fine print, you will eventually find “Chlorine: Removes taste and Odor Only.� This means, quite clearly, that they do not remove chlorine.

View Post

http://www.brita.com...tbenefits.shtml

Chlorine reduced by 99% along with other reductions

#12 The Jack

The Jack

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 February 2005 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE(SteveLewis @ Feb 3 2005, 08:28 AM)
http://www.brita.com...tbenefits.shtml

Chlorine reduced by 99% along with other reductions

View Post

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the post. I still see nothing that describes the filter pitcher filters as having the ability to remove chlorine. I will search the site. Perhaps I will find it.

It is my suspicion that the pitcher and the faucet filters are different. But, give me a moment to search as I would like to discover I am wrong on this, as I would like to have a chlorine filtering pitcher.

#13 The Jack

The Jack

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 February 2005 - 07:37 AM

http://www.brita.com.../pitchers.shtml

This is the link to the filter pitchers. The page seems to indicate that they remove chlorine's "Taste and Odor." I haven't given it a long look, but I don't yet see any assurance that chlorine is filtered out.

#14 The Jack

The Jack

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 February 2005 - 07:46 AM

http://www.brita.com.../benefits.shtml

Here is the link to the filter pictcher filter page. You will notice that - unlike the tap filter - the pitcher filter is not listed as removing any percentage of chlorine. This leads me to feel quite comfotable in saying: The Brita filter pitches do not remove the chlorine in your water. It appears only to reduce it an unknown amount. Which could be very little. However much chlorine is actually reduced, it is not impressive enough for Brita to be proud of it, and to tell us.

#15 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 February 2005 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE(The Jack @ Feb 3 2005, 06:34 AM)
Hey Steve,

Thanks for the post. I still see nothing that describes the filter pitcher filters as having the ability to remove chlorine. I will search the site. Perhaps I will find it.

It is my suspicion that the pitcher and the faucet filters are different. But, give me a moment to search as I would like to discover I am wrong on this, as I would like to have a chlorine filtering pitcher.

View Post

Oh, I didn't realize you meant the pitcher. I personally don't use the pitcher, the water stands around and gets stale tasting after a while so I prefer the taste straight from the on tap filter.