gluten

6 replies to this topic

#1 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 01:24 PM

After talking with the people at arrowheadmills today, I was informed that the above three "grains" contain gluten in small amounts. So I was just wondering whether or not people who have noticed a sensitivity to gluten here eat these "grains". If so, do you notice any adverse affects after eating them or does the small amount of gluten not affect you?

#2 Darklord

Darklord

Chances are, i hate you

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 01:28 PM

After eating quinoa twice daily i dont see any difference. I think that you need to consume large amounts of gluten for your insulin levels to spike large enough for it to effect your skin.
However, i eat oats also for breakfast and that doesnt effect me.
I am also thinking of eatng buckwheat too.

Tom smile.gif
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#3 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE(WindWaker* @ Jan 28 2005, 12:28 PM)
After eating quinoa twice daily i dont see any difference. I think that you need to consume large amounts of gluten for your insulin levels to spike large enough for it to effect your skin.
However, i eat oats also for breakfast and that doesnt effect me.
I am also thinking of eatng buckwheat too.

Tom smile.gif

View Post

Hmm, I had some amaranth for breakfast with fruit and juice and then quinoa with fruit, a salad and some juice .for lunch but that was in order to prepare for my liver flush which I'm doing tonight. It was the first time in a while I've actually eaten grains and drunk juice. I can't eat fat for that so my usual breakfast was out of the question.

#4 Darklord

Darklord

Chances are, i hate you

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE(SteveLewis @ Jan 28 2005, 07:30 PM)
Hmm, I had some amaranth for breakfast with fruit and juice and then quinoa with fruit, a salad and some juice .for lunch but that was in order to prepare for my liver flush which I'm doing tonight. It was the first time in a while I've actually eaten grains and drunk juice.  I can't eat fat for that so my usual breakfast was out of the question.

View Post

Yeah, I wouldnt worry about eating naturally low gluten grains like quinoa etc.
What fat do you normally eat for breakfast?
Liver flush eusa_think.gif...what do you have to do for this?

Tom

#5 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE(WindWaker* @ Jan 28 2005, 12:34 PM)
Yeah, I wouldnt worry about eating naturally low gluten grains like quinoa etc.
What fat do you normally eat for breakfast?
Liver flush  eusa_think.gif...what do you have to do for this?

Tom

View Post

I usually have a salad with avocado, some coconut oil, some sunflower seeds and a piece of chicken breast.

A liver flush is explained pretty well on the curezone website. You eat a low fat breakfast, and lunch, and don't eat after 2pm. At 2pm mix 3 cups water(or grapefruit juice) with 4 tablespoons of epsom salts. Then set it to cool in the fridge. At 6 and 8, drink 3/4cup of this mixture. At 945, mix 1/2cup olive oil with 3/4cup grapefruit juice then drink this at 10. Immediately lay down and go to sleep. Wake up and drink 3/4 cup of the epsom salt mixture. 2 hours later, drink another 3/4 cup. Expect diarrhea with hopefully gallstones in the morning.

#6 Darklord

Darklord

Chances are, i hate you

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 01:42 PM

Uhh salt eusa_sick.gif isnt salt bad for acne?

Good luck,
Tom smile.gif

#7 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 07:29 PM

Ahh, yes I consume gluten daily, but it is corn gluten. Corn Gluten is not the same as the gluten found in wheat, rye, barley, and still debatably oats. Therefore, if the other grains contained the "wrong" gluten, no celiac would be able to consume it either. So I guess the best place to double check this is to visit an official celiac website as I have found other supposedly non-gluten grains listed as being so on other sites.

See, this list includes them
Cereals
Allowed: Hot cereals made from cornmeal or other corn-based cereal, Cream of Rice, hominy, rice; Puffed Rice, cereals made without malt.

Avoid: All cereals containing wheat, rye, oats, or barley; bran; graham; wheat germ; durum; kaska; bulgar; buckwheat; millet; triticale; amaranth; spelt; teff; quinoa; kamut.

http://www.diagnose-...at/T112792.html  

Safe Grains for Celiacs
Current scientific consensus is that rice and corn (maize) are considered safe. In addition, millet, sorghum, Job's Tears, teff, and ragi are thought to be close enough to corn in their genetic make-up to be safe, although more research is needed to fully confirm this. Other grains suspected, but not proven, to be safe for those with celiac disease include buckwheat, amaranth, quinoa and rape. http://www.wholefood...fo/list_gf.html

Revised ADA Dietary Guidelines

Buckwheat and Quinoa

There are many reasons why buckwheat and quinoa are considered to be gluten free; recently this fact seems to have been agreed on by the support groups in this country. What is not agreed on is the possibility of contamination.

But those who are worried about contamination in buckwheat and quinoa have not checked it out. For a number of reasons (see the Sept./Oct 1998 and July/August 1999 issues of GFL), these two ingredients are no more likely to be contaminated than any "grain." In fact, they may be more unlikely to be contaminated than other "grains." (Botanically, both buckwheat and quinoa are fruits. They are sometimes referred to as "pseudograins" because they have grain-like properties and uses.)

Buckwheat may very well be mixed with wheat, which is not contamination but rather the creation of something else. The resulting mixture would be toxic for celiacs since it contains wheat. Even with safe ingredients, you must still check the label to make sure they are not mixed with toxic ingredients.

Quinoa, too, might be mixed with other grains, so you should check the label. In addition, quinoa does have a bitter tasting compound in the outer hull called saponin that must be washed off before the quinoa is used. If the saponin is not washed off, it can cause anyone to feel sick, celiac and non celiac alike.

And anyone can "react" to any food. If the food does not contain gluten, the reaction is not a gluten reaction and therefore not relevant for other celiacs. So unless you "react," for some reason, you can safely enjoy buckwheat or quinoa on the gluten-free diet -- as the ADA has indicated
http://www.enabling....celiac/ada.html

Gluten is the common name for the offending proteins in specific cereal grains that are harmful to persons with CD.  These proteins are found in all forms of wheat (including durum, semolina, spelt, kamut, einkorn, and faro), and related grains, rye, barley, and tritcale.  (they also debate about oats)  http://www.celiac.org/cd-main.html

As for low gluten, I believe Kamut & Spelt are supposed to be those. Both of these are relatives of wheat I believe and as such, should not be consumed.

Here's something I found that seems to make the breakdown of gluten derived products, like starch, protein, seaonings, etc a bit easier to detect: http://www.gicare.co...ted/edtgs06.htm
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users