Photo

The no sugar/chocolate test

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 marox

marox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 08:51 AM

Im issuing everyone who reads this thread a challange - To not have:

* Sugar based trinks (You know what I mean, anything that would make you feel guilty for having, such as a Big M chocolate drink, a coke, lemondate, etc)

* Chocolate

* Lollies

* Sugar itself (in tea/coffee, milk drinks etc - NONE - Not even sugar alternatives)

* If its sweet and artificial, its bad - dont have it!

* ANYTHING ELSE that you FEEL is bad for you, and that you sense will give you some breakouts.

Heres what I propose.

If you can do this for two weeks (on average, it takes two weeks for someone to develop a habit), we can see if there are improvements in your skin.

I myself am taking this up, and will see how I go.

I urge everyone to read this thread and decide to participate (what have you got to lose?).

Also, to those 'no scientific relation' to eating foods, yeah ok, so try this anyway - Prove to yourself there is no relation.

For drinks, all I can really suggest is whatever you have around (water is good! smile.gif ).
Meals, do whatever, but remember, no ice cream, chocolate, or any of that stuff you may have.

Sign in below
Add a post to when you read this and decide to participate, and mark it as Day 1.
Add some notes to your post too at the end of the day, did you manage to turn down something offered to you? smile.gif

Lets see how we go at the end of two weeks, remember, you have nothing to lose and possibly some benefit to gain.

Lets go.

#2 marox

marox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 08:51 AM

Day 1 - Im starting this myself today, nothing to report yet really - I have not had anything 'bad' all day.

#3 hazelnut66

hazelnut66

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 09:12 AM

marox, i did that for at least year and it did not help

#4 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 11:37 AM

Marox,
I think this is a WONDERFUL idea, but the thing is, added sugars only affect my acne by 4% - 5%, therefore, it's not something that will be noticable for people who breakout daily. Like hazelnut said, he/she did this for a year and saw "no results", so unless you are starting with something like 85% or more clear skin, this may not show the results you are looking for. However, in defense of your proposal, if one were to TRULY follow your advice, they would also be eliminating foods that myself and others eliminated (for different reasons) as these foods also contained ADDED sugars. Therefore, if one were to follow this advice correctly, they may be more likely to see results because they would also be avoiding:

Bread & Bread Products - contains added sugar, dairy, transfats. Talking about sugar, aside from table sugars & lactose, the biggest culprit in that catagory is Fructose/Corn Syrup/High Fructose Corn Syrup or HFCS. Try buying ANY bread, refined or 100% whole grain at a regular grocery store and ADDED sugar will be in it!

Condiments - Ketchup, Worstechire Sauce, Marinades, Salad Dressings, Soups, Pasta Sauce, Syrups, Seasoning Mixs (dry or liquid) etc. READ the lablels most "regular" grocery store products contain ADDED sugar.

Drinks - "Milk" Substitutes, Non-100% Fruit Juice, Sodas, "natural" sodas, "natural" juices. iced teas, etc. If you go for sodas and don't want artificial sweeteners pick those sweetened with fruit juice or table sugar (sucrose, cane juice). It very well may break you out, but it won't do it to the extent that HFCS sugars will. Also, some people can't handle 100% fruit juice, and thus fruit juice sweetened drinks may also not work unless they are 100% fruit smoothees in which the peel is also included for fiber.

Gum - Xylitol sweetned gum would be a better option. Healthfoods stores and online stores carry them, but otherwise you would find it mixed with other types of sugar alcohols & artificials sweeteners at a regular store.

Energy Bars - Protein Bars, Granola Bars, Rice bars, etc

Misc: Cereals, Flavored Popcorn, Flavored Potato Chips, Flavored Rice Cakes, etc

I could go on and on, but my point here is that we DO get a lot of carbohydrates in our diet and we don't even realize it. This is how one can easily hit a 600g - 800g carbohydrate diet (high carbohydrate diet for a regular person) and not even know it (this is based on the old food pyramid guidelines). I used to be on a 400g - 600g carb diet and now that I eliminated the above crap and certain grains (gluten free diet), among other stuff, I follow something along the lines of 200g - 300g a day. I don't feel like I made drastic changes, as I still eat high carbs only in the form of rice, corn, potato, fruits, dried fruits, & vegetables. I actually eat more fruit now than I did before, usuall all the fruit I want (unless it's from the genus prunus or a banana), I don't food combine regarding fruit, and I NEVER breakout from it.

I do a lot of things that "defies" the Glycemic Index and Load, but without a doubt "plain sugar" with no soluble fiber to slow it down, does breakout me out a bit. Someone asked me once how I could reach a 600g carb diet, well obviously on those days I must have also been eating ice cream, cookies, etc but I ate fast food nearly once a day too and I checked the McDonalds website and a normal meal for me, was already 205g of Carbohydrates! ;-) Not to mention, I could eat cereal twice a day, ramen noodles, pasta (2-3x a real serving), granola bars, crackers (things that leaned more on the "healthy" side but were loaded with high/refined carbs) etc...it really is so easy to do.

It honestly disgusts and saddens me to see how the manufacturers have managed to sneak sugar into almost every prepared, refined, packaged food we eat (some natural companies do this too). They use HFCS sugars because, despite the amount of work it takes to make this type of sugar, it is still cheaper than sucrose (cane syrup, table sugar, beet sugar)! Of course they also reason that it has a lower glycemic response in the body, this is debatable, but regardless it still is worse for our body than regular sugar, as more of it is metablized into fat, thus it can increase our LDL ("bad") cholesterol & lower our HDL (good) cholesterol, something that acne sufferers have blood values for (could be high-normal for LDL). Not to mention, that type of cholesterol is also associatied with an increase in inflammatory products that lead to a variety of diseases, for which cystic acne or if you follow Perricone, ALL acne, would be classied as. So anyway, the above foods could very well be why others can't see results when they avoid "sugar" because they aren't avoiding the major sources of their added sugar.

Best of luck!
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#5 antimatter

antimatter

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 01:32 PM

Sugar is actually not bad in itself. Sugar converts to glucose, which is then used as energy. From that I kept wondering, how can something be bad if it can be used as energy? And as I continue to read, my fear of sugar eventually subsided.
The problem is when you eat too much sugar that your body cannot spend it quickly enough.
Technically, you can eat as much sugar as you want as long as you have the nutrients to metabolize it and work it off as quickly as possible. I've tested this theory by taking a bunch of supplements and then ate a ton of ice cream, then I immediately exercised for five hours afterwards(making sure that no traces of sugar remains), and to my surprise, my skin actually looked better, than when I ate it with other bad foods. I found out that ice cream contains both fat and water, which helps absorb both fat and water soluble vitamins.
I've also tried the same experiments without taking any supplements. And even though I didn't break out, my skin still looked pretty bad.
Obviously, you don't want to do as anything more than an experiment. I do this, replacing the supplements with vegetable juice and with a lesser serving, only when I want to satisfy some craving.

#6 Iarephel

Iarephel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 04:28 PM

Perhaps sugar does contribute to your acne, but for me it is not the root cause. I have actually avoided sugar for at least 5 months now. (if not longer) The only sugar I eat is natural from fruits or vegetables. I also avoid too many fats, breads, grains, milk, junk food, caffiene, etc... However, I still break out pretty bad. But I keep with this diet as I believe it keeps me healthier and at least maybe I will heal faster this way. But to be honest, I haven't seen any improvement. And I know its not what face wash I use because I don't use anything on my back to see if diet and vitamins will clear me. And sadly, my back is as bad as ever.

#7 civ2

civ2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 04:32 PM

Jade-so sugarless gum is still bad?

#8 Nutopia

Nutopia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 04:36 PM

I've been eating healthy for the past 6 months, and when I have something like a cookie or a donut, my skin usually improves. I think this might have to be with a lack of certain ESSENTIAL sugars. I don't care.. I'm almost clear anyway. Fuck it.

#9 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE(civ2 @ Jan 28 2005, 03:32 PM)
Jade-so sugarless gum is still bad?

View Post

Sugarless gum is a personal choice. I can't tolerate (flavor & headache-wise) most artificial sweetners except saccharin and acesulfame potassium (K). Yet I don't go for anything that's artificially sweetened. If you tolerate it, then go for it. That's an entirely different issue and unless you have a chemical sensitivity, this shouldn't affect you or your skin.

HTH =)

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#10 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE(Iarephel @ Jan 28 2005, 03:28 PM)
Perhaps sugar does contribute to your acne, but for me it is not the root cause. I have actually avoided sugar for at least 5 months now. (if not longer) The only sugar I eat is natural from fruits or vegetables. I also avoid too many fats, breads, grains, milk, junk food, caffiene, etc... However, I still break out pretty bad. But I keep with this diet as I believe it keeps me healthier and at least maybe I will heal faster this way. But to be honest, I haven't seen any improvement. And I know its not what face wash I use because I don't use anything on my back to see if diet and vitamins will clear me. And sadly, my back is as bad as ever.

View Post

Iraphel,
Can you please be more specific as to what foods you've avoided or diets you have followed? Actually a list of what foods you don't eat anymore and what foods/groups you do eat would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you =)

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

#11 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE(antimatter @ Jan 28 2005, 12:32 PM)
Sugar is actually not bad in itself. Sugar converts to glucose, which is then used as energy. From that I kept wondering, how can something be bad if it can be used as energy? And as I continue to read, my fear of sugar eventually subsided.
The problem is when you eat too much sugar that your body cannot spend it quickly enough.
Technically, you can eat as much sugar as you want as long as you have the nutrients to metabolize it and work it off as quickly as possible. I've tested this theory by taking a bunch of supplements and then ate a ton of ice cream, then I immediately exercised for five hours afterwards(making sure that no traces of sugar remains), and to my surprise, my skin actually looked better, than when I ate it with other bad foods. I found out that ice cream contains both fat and water, which helps absorb both fat and water soluble vitamins.
I've also tried the same experiments without taking any supplements. And even though I didn't break out, my skin still looked pretty bad.
Obviously, you don't want to do as anything more than an experiment. I do this, replacing the supplements with vegetable juice and with a lesser serving, only when I want to satisfy some craving.

View Post

Antimatter,
Yes, you are correct, sugar isn't neccessarily the "root cause" of our problems. Granted for some people this may indeed be the issue, but for others like myself, the issues has to do with the way our body responds to the sugar (increased Insulin, IGF-1, LDL, IL-1, IL-6, Leukotrines, Archiadonic Acid, Androgens & less SHBG, Glutathione, HDL, etc) due to some natural borne defect or intolerance to the "wrong" types of sugar or just simply to "too much" sugar . Unfortunately, for some of us, no amount of supplements or medications can override the amounts of sugar we get in our diets. We HAD to alter our diets. Other people don't have to do this, but for those that must or can't afford a load of supplements or medications, this is the most affordable and, if done properly, a very healthy option.

Now, what supplements do you use to offset your sugar consumption? Most popular around here would be R-ALA, Fish Oil, NAC, or Glucommanon Fiber. There's also Chromium GTF, but that apparently isn't as good as ALA.

Thanks

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

#12 Iarephel

Iarephel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 07:35 PM

Iraphel,
Can you please be more specific as to what foods you've avoided or diets you have followed? Actually a list of what foods you don't eat anymore and what foods/groups you do eat would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you =)

Sure thing!

I have so much that I avoid I hope I don't forget anything. lol.

My main thing is I avoid anything with artifical sugar (so no donuts, candy, chocolate, soft drinks, juice, etc. I'm obsessed about reading labels for sugar) no breads or grains, I avoid flour...but I might still be getting trace amounts here and there, no grains, no soy, (but I would like to introduce this back into my diet but I have mixed ideas about it), I avoid caffiene (except for what is in green tea), only nuts once in awhile, ermmm...I use little salt and if I do its sea salt without iodine, no milk or cheese (but I do occasionally have sugarless yogurt that does not have aspratame in it), I try not to eat too many carbs with lots of veggies, protien and fruits...and I think that is all.

But I also take zinc, garlic, mutlivitamin, msm, (for joint problems) and drink green tea everyday and plenty of water. Well and lots of other herbal teas. However, I just started also taking B5 yesterday and a vitamin drink with the other b vitamins. I'm also going to start bc and see if that might help in any way because diet and facial treaments just don't help me and I'm tired of having this year after year.

Please don't think I have anything against a healthy diet. If I was, I wouldn't keep this up for months. Diet might help some people, but in my case- my acne is as bad as ever. Another reason why I know it is not diet related for me, is because I used to eat a TON of sugar, caffiene and carbs as a teenager and very little protein. Sometimes my dinner was even soda and candy it was that bad. I wasn't healthy but I had perfect skin back then. It wasn't until I was 18 did I start breaking out. So maybe for me it is something to do with hormones, genetics, stress, or inefficient body? I hope I can figure it out one day.

Good luck with diet and acne! I hope it works for you guys.

#13 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 11:46 PM

QUOTE(Iarephel @ Jan 28 2005, 06:35 PM)
Sure thing!

I have so much that I avoid I hope I don't forget anything. lol.

My main thing is I avoid anything with artifical sugar (so no donuts, candy, chocolate, soft drinks, juice, etc. I'm obsessed about reading labels for sugar) no breads or grains, I avoid flour...but I might still be getting trace amounts here and there, no grains, no soy, (but I would like to introduce this back into my diet but I have mixed ideas about it), I avoid caffiene (except for what is in green tea), only nuts once in awhile, ermmm...I use little salt and if I do its sea salt without iodine, no milk or cheese (but I do occasionally have sugarless yogurt that does not have aspratame in it), I try not to eat too many carbs with lots of veggies, protien and fruits...and I think that is all.

But I also take zinc, garlic, mutlivitamin, msm, (for joint problems) and drink green tea everyday and plenty of water. Well and lots of other herbal teas. However, I just started also taking B5 yesterday and a vitamin drink with the other b vitamins. I'm also going to start bc and see if that might help in any way because diet and facial treaments just don't help me and I'm tired of having this year after year.

Please don't think I have anything against a healthy diet. If I was, I wouldn't keep this up for months. Diet might help some people, but in my case- my acne is as bad as ever. Another reason why I know it is not diet related for me, is because I used to eat a TON of sugar, caffiene and carbs as a teenager and very little protein. Sometimes my dinner was even soda and candy it was that bad. I wasn't healthy but I had perfect skin back then. It wasn't until I was 18 did I start breaking out. So maybe for me it is something to do with hormones, genetics, stress, or inefficient body? I hope I can figure it out one day.

Good luck with diet and acne! I hope it works for you guys.

View Post

Ahh, now that I know you are a female that helps alot. Definately visit an endocrinologist. How long have you been dealing with this now? Is it getting worse every year? Anyway, I wouldn't go to a regular doctor, but a specialist, endocrinologist, as he/she specializes in metabolic disorders, including hormonal disorders. I am aware of a few hormonal disorders than can arise when you become an adult, but it's best to talk to your doctor. Although usually, with hormonal imbalances, they travel so if your siblings, parents, or grandparents don't have a hormonal disorder then perhaps they have related health problems. Do you know of any? Do you have any other signs or symptoms that make you feel like this is a hormonal disorder, such as Digestive Problems, Weight Problems, Hirustism, Menstrual Problems, Fatigue, etc? You mentioned taking msm for you joints, do you have the begginnings of rhuematoid arthritis (another androgen related disorder)? As for your acne is it only on your face or do you get it elsewhere? Those all the questions you should think of and have answers for when you visit a doctor. Again, I say a specalist as sometimes, usually, regular doctors won''t dig deep enough to figure out a closer root cause of your problems.

Best wishes

P.S. No offense taken, some people's hormonal imbalance is more so diet induced vs genetic defect (or both), while others actually have some sort of tumor. Regardless, definately can't fix acne caused by a tumor with diet and so seeing a doctor is always the best choice when dealing with persistant chronic acne.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

#14 Iarephel

Iarephel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2005 - 12:49 AM

Ahh, now that I know you are a female that helps alot. Definately visit an endocrinologist. How long have you been dealing with this now? Is it getting worse every year? Anyway, I wouldn't go to a regular doctor, but a specialist, endocrinologist, as he/she specializes in metabolic disorders, including hormonal disorders. I am aware of a few hormonal disorders than can arise when you become an adult, but it's best to talk to your doctor. Although usually, with hormonal imbalances, they travel so if your siblings, parents, or grandparents don't have a hormonal disorder then perhaps they have related health problems. Do you know of any? Do you have any other signs or symptoms that make you feel like this is a hormonal disorder, such as Digestive Problems, Weight Problems, Hirustism, Menstrual Problems, Fatigue, etc? You mentioned taking msm for you joints, do you have the begginnings of rhuematoid arthritis (another androgen related disorder)? As for your acne is it only on your face or do you get it elsewhere? Those all the questions you should think of and have answers for when you visit a doctor. Again, I say a specalist as sometimes, usually, regular doctors won''t dig deep enough to figure out a closer root cause of your problems.

Best wishes

P.S. No offense taken, some people's hormonal imbalance is more so diet induced vs genetic defect (or both), while others actually have some sort of tumor. Regardless, definately can't fix acne caused by a tumor with diet and so seeing a doctor is always the best choice when dealing with persistant chronic acne.

Thanks for the quick reply!! Yeah my acne is horrible and I have it on my face and my back right now. But its weird because it moves over the years. Sometimes on my face, sometimes on my chest, my shoulders, then my back. I should probably break down and see a doctor.
Do you mind if you answer a few questions? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to health reasons that could cause acne and would appreciate anything you could tell me. As far as problems go...the msm is for a knee injury that has caused early arthritis there. So that has nothing to do with my health. It's just so I can try and keep my knee healthy. As for other health problems, there could be. I don't know of anything though. The only thing I can think of is sometimes if I don't eat every few hours I will feel weak and shaky sometimes, but I've never had weight, hirustism or menstral problems. Occasionally I'll get an upset stomach, but since I've been eating healthy I don't really have that anymore. So I don't seem to show signs of hormonal problems other then the acne. Do you think I should still see a endocrinologist?
You said a tumor could be a cause? How does that work? I'm really curious about this because my sister was just diagnosed with cervical cancer and has all sorts of menstral problems. (But she has had flawless skin her entire life) I know that is not exactly a tumor, but I wonder if it is in my family and I should be tested.

Thanks for the answers!

#15 Redsquirrel

Redsquirrel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2005 - 08:28 AM

i do find my acne does get a hell of a lot better if i stay away from sugar. I went two weeks without much sugar (perhaps a few cups of tea) and my face cleared quite well. I however, binged out a bit on cakes etc and some fruit drink that i discovered had sugar in it once id drunk it.. I have a couple of big spots appear today, and its possibly to do with this.

Problem is staying away from anything with sugar in is a nightmare. I mean at lunch time all i ended up eating was a sausge roll everyday.. I got bored after 2 weeks, and ended up buying muffins, a boxes of cakes... ill be good again for a bit and see what happens. Annoying as it was clearing up really good (plus im on dans regimen and taking minnocin - although the minnocin probbably is not doing much, im taking it on the thought it will clear the red marks).

#16 ritzvin

ritzvin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2005 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE(Iarephel @ Jan 29 2005, 01:49 AM)
Thanks for the quick reply!! Yeah my acne is horrible and I have it on my face and my back right now. But its weird because it moves over the years. Sometimes on my face, sometimes on my chest, my shoulders, then my back. I should probably break down and see a doctor.
Do you mind if you answer a few questions? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to health reasons that could cause acne and would appreciate anything you could tell me. As far as problems go...the msm is for a knee injury that has caused early arthritis there. So that has nothing to do with my health. It's just so I can try and keep my knee healthy. As for other health problems, there could be. I don't know of anything though. The only thing I can think of is sometimes if I don't eat every few hours I will feel weak and shaky sometimes, but I've never had weight, hirustism or menstral problems. Occasionally I'll get an upset stomach, but since I've been eating healthy I don't really have that anymore. So I don't seem to show signs of hormonal problems other then the acne. Do you think I should still see a endocrinologist?
You said a tumor could be a cause? How does that work? I'm really curious about this because my sister was just diagnosed with cervical cancer and has all sorts of menstral problems. (But she has had flawless skin her entire life) I know that is not exactly a tumor, but I wonder if it is in my family and I should be tested. 

Thanks for the answers!

View Post

You might want to ask to be tested for a gluten allergy too - that runs in the family, and when ignored for a long time can cause a large number of health problems (arthritis, osteoporosis, fatigue, and according to some books, cancer). After reading up more on it, I'm planning to get tested. I've been trying to get rid of the pain in my knees for years (I'm 24, have never had any knee injuries), have had problems with fatigue and depression/anxiety. High-flour food items cause me to get immensely tired very, very quickly, and cause me to feel bloated. My mother has all of the exact same problems too. Osteoporosis runs in my family as well. We're also very short (4'10"), another thing researchers have noticed in gluten-sensitive people. anyway, if that is the case, giving up foods like bread won't be enough...even stuff that has smaller amounts of wheat and gluten will affect you (which is in LOTS of foods). If any of those symptoms sound like you or your family, then you should do more research/get tested. oh - we're also from the corner of Europe farthest away from the advent of agriculture - meaning a higher chance of that gene having existed to today.
99.5% Clear (skin gets 'congested' PMS week, but no actual breakouts)
---------------------------
Fragrance-Free Baby Wipes + a few drops Rimmel Makeup Remover solution
3/4 AHA Toner* & 1/4 Glycerin (cotton pad) -- good toner, moisturizer, and makeup base (use less glycerin if not under makeup)
Occasional Treatments (2-3x/week): Exfoliating bp wash* in shower, 2.5% bp lotion* at night
CoverGirl TruBlend Powder Foundation
* = Klear Action Kit (Pro-Activ knockoff)
Gluten-free diet (for non-acne reasons, but it seems to have cleared my acne)

#17 Iarephel

Iarephel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2005 - 03:06 PM

You might want to ask to be tested for a gluten allergy too - that runs in the family, and when ignored for a long time can cause a large number of health problems (arthritis, osteoporosis, fatigue, and according to some books, cancer). After reading up more on it, I'm planning to get tested. I've been trying to get rid of the pain in my knees for years (I'm 24, have never had any knee injuries), have had problems with fatigue and depression/anxiety. High-flour food items cause me to get immensely tired very, very quickly, and cause me to feel bloated. My mother has all of the exact same problems too. Osteoporosis runs in my family as well. We're also very short (4'10"), another thing researchers have noticed in gluten-sensitive people. anyway, if that is the case, giving up foods like bread won't be enough...even stuff that has smaller amounts of wheat and gluten will affect you (which is in LOTS of foods). If any of those symptoms sound like you or your family, then you should do more research/get tested. oh - we're also from the corner of Europe farthest away from the advent of agriculture - meaning a higher chance of that gene having existed to today.

That could very well be. The only thing is I don't really exhibit any of those symptoms that you said. I never really feel that fatigued and nor am I short. (I'm 5'7" and female) My family eats a lot of flour and doesn't seem to affect them either. But what about being hypoglycemic? My friend brought that up the other day. Would that cause acne? I dunno if you know anything about this but I figure I would throw it out there because both my mom and I feel weak and skakey if we don't eat every few hours. I also faint very easily when I'm sick or something and I used to faint all the time as a kid. Wait hmm...hypoglycemia (just looked it up online) says you have low blood sugar. Maybe I'm doing the wrong thing and I need to eat more sugar? I dunno I'm just throwing things out there. Guess I need to make an appointment with the doctor...

#18 Pika

Pika

boobs

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2005 - 11:12 PM

Removing sugar from your diet has been known now for quite a while to help with acne. Congratulations, you're a genius.
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]