Photo

My theory on diet and acne

vitamin vitamins juicing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 antimatter

antimatter

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 01:10 AM

Keep in mind that much of this is my observations as much as what I've learned. To me, obesity and acne are probably very closely related. From what I've learned, experimented and finally theorized, when you eat bad food, like sugar, it converts the sugar into fat, some people are able to store the fat, so they get fat, some people can't, so they get acne. That's why you don't see too many fat people with acne(hey nature's gotta be fair right?).
Also, when you eat sugar and similar bad foods, it draws upon the nutrients in your body to process them, if you don't have them, then you get acne. From those informations, I've able to come up with a diet plan that is able to satisfy my craving and keep from breaking out at the same time.
First, you gotta buy yourself a juicer. If you've visisted curezone, you'll know that vegetable juicing is probably one of the healthiest and perhaps simplest things you can do for your health. Drink about 7-10 glasses per day. The reason is this: when you eat bad food, like sugar, it draws upon the vitamins and minerals to process them. Drinking vegetable juice will provide the necessary nutrients to process the bad foods. Choose spinach, broccoli, carrots, bean, and kale, as those are some of the most nutrient-filled vegetables around.
Second, eat only when you're hungry(or when your stomach feels empty.) It may sound like simple advice, but you'll be amazed how few people eat when they're truly hungry. Depending on your metabolism, you probably only need to eat one major meal a day.
To me, you need FAR less than the RDA for calories, probably even three times less. I have no clue how the RDA came up with 2000-2500 calories because I've counted all the calories I've ate in a normal day, and it doesn't even come close. Try eating a bowl of broccoli in the morning, and pay very close attention to when you're truly hungry again. You'll be amazed how long it takes. When you eat something with the necessary nutrients, it will last a LONG time. But when you eat empty calories carb, the body will not know you have eaten enough, so you keep getting hungry, and you eat more, causing obesity or breakouts. And the cycle continues.
Fortunately, nature is not so cruel to me after all. Even though I can only eat one meal, this is the meal where I can eat anything I choose, and it should work for you too, if you do the other things right. This is the meal where you can satisfy your cravings. What's interesting is that I found that my face looked a bit better the next day when I eat this "fast food" meal than when I eat a "healthier" meal, assuming that I've drank vegetable juices the rest of the day. That's because I found out that the nutrients(mainly the fat soluble vitamins) from the vegetable juices are much better absorbed when I eat it with fat. And obviously, most of these fast food meals are filled with fat.
Finally, exercise, a lot. You break out when your body are no longer able to store the extra calories(or when it has to do it too fast, like when you eat too much sugar). Exersizing empty the fat cells store so that it can prepare to store your next bad meal. Fortunately for me, I'm a TV sports addict, so I can just exercise for hours without ever getting bored. Whenever I fear a breakout or my skin starts to look bad, I just drink up a lot of vegetable juice and exercise.

#2 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 02:12 AM

You're wrong on a few points. There is not set amount of calories, it's based on exactly how much you weight, how fast your metabolism is, how active you are, etc... For me, I need close to 3000cal a day to maintain my weight when I'm active(I'm 190lbs). Therefore eating one main meal and tons of veggies aren't going to cut it(I need quite a bit of protein as well). If you need only a third of a 2000cal daily intake, you're either really tiny, have little muscle mass(more muscle requires more calories just for maintenance), are inavctive, or you are starving yourself. Since you say you exercise a crap load, I'm willing to bet that you're lying about needing far less calories or you're not really exercising. It's not really my opinion either, it's not physically possible to be a healthy active adult on 1000calories a day(Unless your a dwarf or a tiny woman).

As for the fats in your diet, why does all of a sudden eating one fatty meal help with nutrients you've consumed prior in the day. If you consume a fat soluble vitamin, it will be either stored or disposed of by the time you eat somethign fatty later in the day. To absorb a fat soluble vitamin the most effeciently, you have to eat fat with the meal your consuming the vitamin in. You're body doesn't just decide that it should hold onto absorbing or disposing of vitamin A on the chance that you'll eat somethign fatty later. Why not eat healthy fats throughout the day? Things like good oil such as olive and grapseed in your meals? Eating fish or even fats with other good stuff in them such as yogurt?

You're body gets hungry, not because of the nutrients, but because of the lack of glucose or energy to fuel you body. You don't get that from nutrients, you get that from calorie rich, healthy foods. That full feeling is caused by foods that get used up slowly in your body. A piece of food can have absolutely no nutrients in it, but if it is converted into glucose slowly, you'll feel full.

In your theory, whats the link between the unstored fat and acne?

If it works for you though, that's great. The good news is that scientists are conducting trials now on lasers that do the same thing to the sebaceous glands as accutane, without the side effects. They are also developing really potent drugs that do basically what Sweetjade and others have been saying. In other words, it blocks testosterone from converting into DHT or else inhbiting 5-AR or somethign similar, only on a permanent basis(Although I'd be weary about this as Vioxx and other really harmful drugs did this same thing).

#3 antimatter

antimatter

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 12:53 PM

If you are living on a diet of vegetable juice, then I guarantee you will not need more than 1000 calories a day. That's because you'll feel full most of the time, and obviously you don't want to force feed it. The juice will suspend in your stomach, while being very slowly released into the intestines.
Now consider that each cup of vegetable juice is just 20-30 calories(some even as low as 6), you would have to drink about 50+ of them, to reach or exceed 1000 calories. And I guarantee you won't be able to drink that much.
Now from what I've seen, vegetable juicing seems to be the universal cure-all, and yet when you add up all the calories, it doesn't come close to the RDA. From that I conclude, you need far less calories than the RDA.
And you're right as far as eating olive oil to replace fat. However, I've tried that and I couldn't do it, since it's so "boring." After much study, I've come to the compromise that I'm actually able to eat one bad food meal a day, as long as I do the other things to make sure I don't break out.
You also wonder why I don't take vitamins(in this case drinking juice) at meal time, well like I mentioned above, the juice will stay in your stomach even when you don't use it(as opposed to the empty calories which will get converted into fat.) I think it helps to drink it at meal time, but then the problem is that you will not be able to enjoy the bad meal since you'll feel full halfway into the meal, which kinda defeats the purpose. What I do is drink the juice, one or two hour before/after the meal, since the fat and juice will not leave the stomach for a while anyway.

#4 The Jack

The Jack

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 01:09 PM

(Unless your a dwarf or a tiny woman).

Damn that made me laugh.

#5 themaster

themaster

Remember to shave regularly

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 01:28 PM

Carbs is what people crave, if you didn't know your vegtable juice probably has about 500-1000 calories, that's why you don't get hungry. Veggies have a lot of carbs, which are essencially part of calories.

#6 antimatter

antimatter

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 01:40 PM

Where did you get your calories information? I got it here
http://www.personalh...es/spinach.html
(keep in mind that kcal is the same as cal). I was surprised to see those numbers actually, that made me realized that we need far less than we eat.

#7 themaster

themaster

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 01:56 PM

All vegetable juices have diffrent amounts of calories. You are not thinking right...Calories are made of carbs, fats, and protein, MOST vegetables consist of cabs. You are not getting your adequate nutrition, you are missing out of your protein, you need about 50-60g of protein for females, and 60-70g for males, depending on your size and weight.

#8 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 02:20 PM

Liquid doesn't stay in you stomach for one or two hours.

Theres a formula for the amount of calories you use in a day(roughly but still pretty accurate). The base metabolic rate is the amount of calories you burn just for being alive. It's over 1000calories. No taking into accout things like eating, figiting(Yes this can burn up to 300calories a day in nervous people), exercise, even things like walking all burn quite a bit of calories in a day.

If I took less than 1000 caloriesin a day, I'd get very sick in about a few weeks, not to mention the rapid muscle loss. I also eat tons and tons of veggies but they're not enough.

You must be some sort of super alien that uses a calorie much more effeciently than the rest of us. ninja.gif I don't know what to tell you if you believe that you need less than or around 1000calories a day if your an active grown male.

#9 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 06:33 PM

Hmm.... you may want to double, triple or quadruple your calorie calculations. Since 1 cup of spinach is 6 or 7 calories, but that's as leaves. Ground up & liquified that will drop down to 1/2 or 1/3 the cup content, so you may need to recalculate for that if you are not. Therefore, an actual 8oz cup of liquid spinach would be more like 12 or 18 calories.

Here's another list. http://www.nal.usda....nk/wt_rank.html

#10 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 07:14 PM

While I agree that veg juice is very healthy, if that is all you consume along with one poor quality meal per day, you will very soon be constipated, and THAT does not help acne.

#11 ayla

ayla

dum spiro, spero

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 29 January 2005 - 11:25 AM

OK- I think I might have a clue to what is going on here. Antimatter, it sound like your starving yourself. When you regularly eat less than X amount of calories, your body will slow it's metabolism so you only need X amount of calories-No matter how much you excercise.

I was bulemic/anorexic for many years (well, still am-but I'm 'recovering' for life-like an alcoholic). I would only allow myself 850 calories a day, and if I went over-I gained weight. I convinced myself it was my thyroid, and convinced the DR to check my t-3 and t-4's. Normal. So I decided I must be low in iodine-nope, didn't work (got a lot of zits though). Somewhere here in internet land I stumbled across an eating disorder help page. It described to a T all of the symptoms I had.

I had been deluding myself for years, saying "I have to do this (i.e. purge, excercise, limit calories) because there's something wrong with me/my body."

In fact, the only thing wrong w/my body was that I had f*d it up. I was so terrified by what could happen, the early incidence of heart attack, brain aneurysm, esophageal cancer (from the bile), permanent stomach wall erosion, and on and on.

Why my DR didn't recognize my symptoms, I couldn't tell you. Thank God I did, as hard as it was, I ate. I would feel nauseous and scared (that I was going to gain weight, that the info was wrong)-but I kept it down. And I did gain some weight-but only a normal amount. As my calories increased, so did my energy, my mood, a myriad of things. Eventually (about 2 weeks) I was able to eat a normal amount of food, about 1600-1800 calories a day, without gaining weight.

Antimatter-I urge you to take a serious look at your eating habits. Are they really normal? Are you eating food the way your body was designed to? Do people in your life think that your eating habits are strange, or have you hidden it from them?

I do not intend to offend with this, only to help.

Ayla
xxoo

#12 themaster

themaster

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2005 - 02:35 PM

I think everyone in here agrees that you're not eating right, you have a dwell understanding of what you're supposed to eat. You're just not eating enough. Eating good foods like oats and eggs are an asset to bulding good lean muscle, which is by far a better approach to increase your calorie intake than eating more fats.

I have a couple requests; what is your height and weight? do you know what's your BMI and BF percent?

#13 ~TEPL0~

~TEPL0~

back from the dead

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2005 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE(antimatter @ Jan 28 2005, 01:10 AM)
when you eat bad food, like sugar, it converts the sugar into fat, some people are able to store the fat, so they get fat, some people can't, so they get acne. That's why you don't see too many fat people with acne(hey nature's gotta be fair right?).

View Post

I agree with the first part of the statement, but also, fat men have more estrogen than thin ones. If acne is caused by hormones, they have less testosterone, therefore less acne. Also their penises seem to be smaller. (sorry, but it's true.. not that I've been looking at penises or anything... just heard it from a doctor..)