Photo

My B5 Regimen

vitamin vitamins pantothenic pantothenic acid tca

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 adultAcne

adultAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2005 - 06:18 PM

I've been using B5 effectively for over a year now and this is my first post to talk about it.

It's a freaking miracle. Now, it doesn't cure it, because if I stop taking it, it comes back.

I have moderate cystic acne (1-2 per week; takes 3 weeks for each to heal) along with moderate whiteheads and blackheads. I'm fair complexioned with somewhate sensitive skin. I'm 37.

B5 works so well that I don't even have to wash my face for a whole day, which sorta supports the premise that it's not the oil itself that causes acne, but other causes.

I take 10-15 grams per day. I take no other vitamins other than a multivitamin which I've only just recently started taking. Actually, B5 is Pantothenic Acid, and that's how the stuff that I take is labeled. But, now that I'm convinced this stuff works, I will start experimenting with other cheaper brands to see if I can reduce the monthly costs. I currently buy my B5 in bulk online at about $14/bottle of 500mg, 250 capsules.

I have noticed NO side-effects other than a slightly more active bowels, but not diarreha (sp?). But, I figure that's a bonus since it's better to be regular.

I have suspected in the past that my B5 intake could be increased or decreased according to how much I ate per day. There were times when I wasn't eating that much and since I was in the habit of taking my 5 grams with each meal, eating only twice a day would only amount up to 10 grams of b5 per day and there were days when it was lower; and my acne never returned for the most part. Now, I'm on a weight-lifting bulking diet, which means I have to eat 5-6 times a day and I'm still taking 15 gr/day, but I'm starting to get some zits for the first time while on 15 gr/day. I'm not sure if it's because I'm eating more, or because of the increase of androgens in my system (I'm also taking some herbs to increase my testosterone levels). Of course, it would seem like the increased testosterone levels would be the most likely culprit, and just may be, but I also keep reading that another way to increase your testosterone levels is just by eating more, so there might be something to the amount one eats, indirectly.

Anyway, instead of upping my daily dosage, I will switch to taking my B5 in between meals in case that increases it's effectiveness. BTW, there was no real reason I was taking it with my meals; B5 doesn't upset my stomache.

B5 has only slightly improved my large dark pores on my nose. So, I apply benzoyl peroxide to it one every other day or so and that kills the bacteria inside them so they aren't dark. The oil plugs are still inside the enlarged pores, you just can't see them... they blend in to the color of my skin.

Also, I apply Rezamid (sulfur/resorcinol) to my whole face about every other night, or every night. This is just to have a general good complexion. The B5 mainly takes care of the cystic acne. Rezamid is GREAT for exfoliating my skin WITHOUT causing redness. Yes, that's right, no redness! Which brings up another point I'd like to make. Sulfur is an age old acne medication and it works for me. So, just because something isn't considered effective for 90% of the population, does't mean that you aren't in the minority of the population that it does work on. So, don't be afraid to try some of the older medicines. And, by the way, Rezamid (and it's competitor Clearasit AdultCare) is intended to just be spot treatments. But, I use it on my whole face and it works great for basic whiteheads and smoothens the skin with no redness. I buy Rezamid because it's cheaper and has the same ingredients.

My suggestions for anyone that wants to try B5:

I know it seems like a lot, but start with about 15-20 grams/day. I saw results very quickly, within 2 weeks, so you just want to see if it works at all, then if it does, you can decrease the dosage to a lower level that still works.

Try to start out with a high quality brand, just because you don't want to waste your time trying it in a half-a$$ed way only to be led into concluding it doesn't work when in fact it might have. I don't know if bad quality B5 actually makes a difference... just, you should see results fairly quickly so go ahead and spend the extra penny for the good stuff.

OK, that's it! I hope it works for someone. I think this is the first alternative treatment that I've ever come across that actually worked for me and I'm still kind of stunned to be quite honest.

Al
There is nothing wrong with you.
You do not need improving.
To say that you need improving
is to say that God needs improving. ~ Osho

#2 cynic

cynic

without you i'm nothing

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2005 - 06:40 PM

Hi there,

Great post. :o)

I'm currently on about Day 50 of my 3-month, 10g, B5 course and it hasn't really done wonders for my skin, but there's an improvement in the regularity of how often I break out, and the severity of them, so I'm still optimistic.

#3 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2005 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE(adultAcne @ Jan 23 2005, 05:18 PM)
I've been using B5 effectively for over a year now and this is my first post to talk about it.

It's a freaking miracle.  Now, it doesn't cure it, because if I stop taking it, it comes back.

I have moderate cystic acne (1-2 per week; takes 3 weeks for each to heal) along with moderate whiteheads and blackheads.  I'm fair complexioned with somewhate sensitive skin.  I'm 37.

B5 works so well that I don't even have to wash my face for a whole day, which sorta supports the premise that it's not the oil itself that causes acne, but other causes.

I take 10-15 grams per day.  I take no other vitamins other than a multivitamin which I've only just recently started taking.  Actually, B5 is Pantothenic Acid, and that's how the stuff that I take is labeled.  But, now that I'm convinced this stuff works, I will start experimenting with other cheaper brands to see if I can reduce the monthly costs.  I currently buy my B5 in bulk online at about $14/bottle of 500mg, 250 capsules.

I have noticed NO side-effects other than a slightly more active bowels, but not diarreha (sp?).  But, I figure that's a bonus since it's better to be regular.

I have suspected in the past that my B5 intake could be increased or decreased according to how much I ate per day.  There were times when I wasn't eating that much and since I was in the habit of taking my 5 grams with each meal, eating only twice a day would only amount up to 10 grams of b5 per day and there were days when it was lower; and my acne never returned for the most part.  Now, I'm on a weight-lifting bulking diet, which means I have to eat 5-6 times a day and I'm still taking 15 gr/day, but I'm starting to get some zits for the first time while on 15 gr/day.  I'm not sure if it's because I'm eating more, or because of the increase of androgens in my system (I'm also taking some herbs to increase my testosterone levels).  Of course, it would seem like the increased testosterone levels would be the most likely culprit, and just may be, but I also keep reading that another way to increase your testosterone levels is just by eating more, so there might be something to the amount one eats, indirectly.

Anyway, instead of upping my daily dosage, I will switch to taking my B5 in between meals in case that increases it's effectiveness.  BTW, there was no real reason I was taking it with my meals; B5 doesn't upset my stomache.
B5 has only slightly improved my large dark pores on my nose.  So, I apply benzoyl peroxide to it one every other day or so and that kills the bacteria inside them so they aren't dark.  The oil plugs are still inside the enlarged pores, you just can't see them... they blend in to the color of my skin.

Also, I apply Rezamid (sulfur/resorcinol) to my whole face about every other night, or every night.  This is just to have a general good complexion.  The B5 mainly takes care of the cystic acne.  Rezamid is GREAT for exfoliating my skin WITHOUT causing redness.  Yes, that's right, no redness!  Which brings up another point I'd like to make.  Sulfur is an age old acne medication and it works for me.  So, just because something isn't considered effective for 90% of the population, does't mean that you aren't in the minority of the population that it does work on.  So, don't be afraid to try some of the older medicines.  And, by the way, Rezamid (and it's competitor Clearasit AdultCare) is intended to just be spot treatments.  But, I use it on my whole face and it works great for basic whiteheads and smoothens the skin with no redness.  I buy Rezamid because it's cheaper and has the same ingredients.
My suggestions for anyone that wants to try B5:

I know it seems like a lot, but start with about 15-20 grams/day.  I saw results very quickly, within 2 weeks, so you just want to see if it works at all, then if it does, you can decrease the dosage to a lower level that still works.

Try to start out with a high quality brand, just because you don't want to waste your time trying it in a half-a$$ed way only to be led into concluding it doesn't work when in fact it might have.  I don't know if bad quality B5 actually makes a difference... just, you should see results fairly quickly so go ahead and spend the extra penny for the good stuff.

OK, that's it!  I hope it works for someone.  I think this is the first alternative treatment that I've ever come across that actually worked for me and I'm still kind of stunned to be quite honest.

Al

View Post

How much do you spend on B5/month?

#4 adultAcne

adultAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 January 2005 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE(SteveLewis @ Jan 23 2005, 07:57 PM)
How much do you spend on B5/month?

View Post

comes out to about $48.75/month. i get mine from vitaglo.com; Solary pantothenic acid, 500 mg, 250 caps.

if anyone knows of any good quality inexpensive stuff of the Pantothenic Acid form, please let me know!

#5 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 January 2005 - 03:20 PM

I'm taking the Twinlabs B5. It says it is pantothenic acid from d-calcium pantothenate. Are there two different types?
My regimen:

Eat regularly: a wide variety of vegetables, eggs, meat/fish, cheese, yogurt, butter, fruit, nuts/seeds.

Occasionally eat: beans, squash, potatoes.

Don't eat: sugar, grains, most processed food.

#6 adultAcne

adultAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 January 2005 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE(cjb @ Jan 25 2005, 02:20 PM)
I'm taking the Twinlabs B5.  It says it is pantothenic acid from d-calcium pantothenate.  Are there two different types?

View Post

That's what mine says too. I think the two main kinds or sources is either that or panthenine (sp?). I've read that panthenine is derived from PA. PA works for me and is true vitamin B5 I think.

#7 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 January 2005 - 10:41 PM

adultacne, I still haven't sorted all this out, but there is pantothenic acid (which is what most people use and what was used in the study), and then there is pantethine, which I've read is more bioavailable, and much more expensive. I know because I bought some today. Problem for me is that the pantothenic acid comes from d-calcium pantothenate and that calcium gave me a horrible urinary tract infection. According to Andrei (I think) one can get pantothenic acid from something else, but I haven't been successful finding it. I had to quit with the twinlabs before I get a kidney infection. I got some pantethine today, but it comes in 300 mg capsules and there are only 30 in a bottle. It wil be gone in no time, though I'm wondering if I could get away with less since it is more bioavailable? I have no idea. And since I've only been taking the B5 for 20 days, I don't know if it is even working.
My regimen:

Eat regularly: a wide variety of vegetables, eggs, meat/fish, cheese, yogurt, butter, fruit, nuts/seeds.

#8 adultAcne

adultAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 January 2005 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE(cjb @ Jan 27 2005, 09:41 PM)
adultacne, I still haven't sorted all this out, but there is pantothenic acid (which is what most people use and what was used in the study),  and then there is pantethine, which I've read is more bioavailable, and much more expensive.  I know because I bought some today.  Problem for me is that the pantothenic acid comes from d-calcium pantothenate and that calcium gave me a horrible urinary tract infection.  According to Andrei (I think) one can get pantothenic acid from something else, but I haven't been successful finding it.  I had to quit with the twinlabs before I get a kidney infection.  I got some pantethine today, but it comes in 300 mg capsules and there are only 30 in a bottle.  It wil be gone in no time, though I'm wondering if I could get away with less since it is more bioavailable?  I have no idea.  And since I've only been taking the B5 for 20 days, I don't know if it is even working.

View Post

Hmmm... you got a urinary tract infection from the calcium in pantothenic acid? Are you sure? Maybe it was a coincidence, or maybe the capsules were tainted in some way. Maybe try a diff brand.

I would figure you would see SOME kind of results by day 20. How much did you take of the PA? Do you have cystic acne? I don't know the answer to your other questions. Sorry for not being of much help.

#9 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 07:58 PM

I am all but positive it was the calcium, and I am not the only person this has happened too. There was another guy on here that got one, and men get them very rarely. I don't have cystic acne. I think my acne would be classified as mild. I was only taking 6g per day, as I am very sensitive to any kind of supplementation, and wanted to make sure I wasn't going to have any side effects. I'm not ready to give up however. I believe the acnemiracle stuff contains PA not from d-calcium pantothenate. I may have to try that. It's hard for me to tell if I am makng progress because I break out in cycles, usually related to menstruating, so I often go for stretches of time with no new acne.
My regimen:

#10 adultAcne

adultAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 09:01 PM

I'm not trying to be stubborn, but maybe your two urinary tract infections were still coincidences. Or, maybe the B5 just triggered one to come on that was on the verge of happening anyway, iow, maybe it revealed some other deficiency or something. Maybe you can try it again, but then take some supplements for UTC's before hand or during... just to make sure??? At at rate, I wish you the best anyways.

#11 Andrei

Andrei

»(^__^)«

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 09:04 PM

As for me, I build a general perception for B5 that it can only work for mild or almost moderate acne. It's not for people with moderate/severe or cystic acne..

#12 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 09:13 PM

[uote=adultAcne,Jan 28 2005, 08:01 PM]q
I'm not trying to be stubborn, but maybe your two urinary tract infections were still coincidences. Or, maybe the B5 just triggered one to come on that was on the verge of happening anyway, iow, maybe it revealed some other deficiency or something. Maybe you can try it again, but then take some supplements for UTC's before hand or during... just to make sure??? At at rate, I wish you the best anyways.

View Post

[/quote]

Well I only had one UTI, but since I know my own body better than anyone and I don't really care what you think (no offense) I'm not going to try to convice you it came from the B5. I'm quite certain it did.
Andrei, I asked you this question in Dave's thread, but I'll ask again here. The pantothenic acid in acne miracle doesn't come from d-calcium pantothenate??
My regimen:

#13 adultAcne

adultAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE(cjb @ Jan 28 2005, 08:13 PM)
...I don't really care what you think (no offense)  I'm not going to try to convice you it came from the B5...

You're welcome.

#14 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2005 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE(adultAcne @ Jan 28 2005, 09:19 PM)
You're welcome.

View Post

adultacne,
I was not trying to be rude, I was just trying to avoid having a whole discussion about my UTI. Sorry.
My regimen:

#15 adultAcne

adultAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 January 2005 - 09:48 PM

Hehe, ok.

#16 Molli88

Molli88

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 February 2005 - 11:55 AM

$50 a month? Thats incrediable! Order from Superior Nutraceuticals, if you get the 1kg powder it will last you 100 days if you take 10mg daily and it's only $28!!!
"Tis better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt."
-Mark Twain