Photo

damn diet

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 hazelnut66

hazelnut66

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 January 2005 - 04:46 PM

i am so sick of hearing back and forth that diet does or doesn't affect acne, and then hearing that oh, it's dairy that causes it! oh no, it's sodium! wait, it's sugar! what the freak am i supposed to do, i've tried everything, healthy and unhealthy and it dosn't change anything! aaaaaah i'm just ranting, not directed towards anyone

#2 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 January 2005 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE(hazelnut66 @ Jan 21 2005, 03:46 PM)
i am so sick of hearing back and forth that diet does or doesn't affect acne, and then hearing that oh, it's dairy that causes it! oh no, it's sodium! wait, it's sugar! what the freak am i supposed to do, i've tried everything, healthy and unhealthy and it dosn't change anything! aaaaaah i'm just ranting, not directed towards anyone

View Post

Obviously, you haven't tried everything. The diet that's working for me right now is a no dairy, no grain, no sugar, no citrus, no nuts, no refined foods, low iodine diet. It's basically a diet of lean meats and organ meats, lots of green veggies, seeds, sprouts, and fruit. I supplement with Calcium and sometimes vitamin C.

#3 hazelnut66

hazelnut66

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 January 2005 - 06:18 PM

i'm a vegetarian

#4 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 January 2005 - 06:37 PM

hazelnut,
It's all about finding the diet that works for you. Of course if you listen to everyone's advice you will go crazy because certain things work for certain people and not for others, duh, so it can be contradictory to try to follow EVERYONE"S advice. Do a little research on your own and a little experimenting with your own body and figure out what works for you. I've been a vegetarian since I was a teenager. My mom couldn't even get me to eat meat as a baby. A few years ago (before I had acne), I found that avoiding dairy, sugar, and trans fats made me feel much better in general. Now that I have acne, I'm working on tweaking my diet again to fit my state of being, and see what helps my acne. I'm a vegan... could never eat meat, and don't see any healthful reason to reintroduce dairy, so I'm attempting to incorporate some of the things I've seen here that have helped people, such as avoiding wheat/gluten, and making a conscious attempt to eat more protein in the form of tofu, tempeh, beans etc, as that keeps my grain consumption down.
Once I got acne, I was forced to look at diet in a whole new way, as I was under the assumption that my diet of lots of veggies and whole grains was very healthy, which it was! But obviously something is out of balance or I wouldn't have acne! Now it's my job to figure out what that is. Keeping a food diary helps.
I don't know what you're currently doing, or have done diet-wise, but it's a safe bet that sugar and trans-fats aren't doing you any good, and it's pretty universally acknowledged that they are detrimental to health, so why not start there? Then try giving up caffeine, dairy, etc if that doesn't work. Sorry so long.

Carrie
My regimen:

Eat regularly: a wide variety of vegetables, eggs, meat/fish, cheese, yogurt, butter, fruit, nuts/seeds.

Occasionally eat: beans, squash, potatoes.

Don't eat: sugar, grains, most processed food.

#5 hazelnut66

hazelnut66

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:01 AM

thanks a lot cjb...my problem is that i've tried literally everything, i tried no sugar and no dairy for about a year, that did nothing, and then i tried having dairy and other stuff i wouldn't normally, that didn't do anything either. i've been making all these tweaks and stuff for four years, and i've exhausted all options, so i feel really hopeless. the only thing that is left is re introducing meat...which i will absolutely not do, i've been a vegetarian since elementary school and i wouldn't eat meat for a million dollars...unless i could somehow have insight that it would cure me, that is the only way i'd consider it....being a vegan, have you found anything that's seemed to make an improvement? thanks cjb

#6 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 January 2005 - 07:27 PM

I can't honestly say that being a vegan helps with acne. I was a vegan when I got acne! I originally gave up dairy because of a dry scaly eyelid that would NOT go away. After doing a little reading, I decided to try eliminating dairy and within a few weeks it was back to normal. That was years ago, before I had acne.
I wish I had more answers diet-wise, but since I've only had acne for about a year, and I ignored it for awhile, I've only just started trying to solve it. My next plan of attack is liver flushing.
I know I'm not much help in answering your question.

Good luck, hazelnut!

My regimen:

Eat regularly: a wide variety of vegetables, eggs, meat/fish, cheese, yogurt, butter, fruit, nuts/seeds.

#7 DarkArchon

DarkArchon

F&%$ Acne!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 January 2005 - 09:37 PM

I think acne is different in everyone. I've heard everything from certain products to certain foods to frequent masturbation that causes acne. For me it seems to be chocolate/candy and me irritating my skin too much by trying all this different shit. You should try different things and see if it effects your face. For example, if you drink 10 cans of pop in one day and have 2-3 active pimples beginning the next morning, that could possibly be why.
My Regimen

- Warm Water
- Stridex Sensitive Skin Pads
- CnC Morning Glow

#8 InzaLilac

InzaLilac

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 January 2005 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE(hazelnut66 @ Jan 21 2005, 10:46 PM)

View Post

I was a lifelong veggie who never thought she'd eat meat until I met an amazing (and well known in NYC where I live) nutritionist/therapist who urged me to introduce organic animal products to my diet and cut out as many grains as possible. This was my personal prescription for the problems I had which were: I'd gained 20 lbs. ACNE, and depression. I immediately lost weight and my acne improved. I reccomend the site beyondveg.org and Nourishing Traditions by Fallon. I've reformed the way I think about eating meat and I now see it as a multigenerational task towards a more conscious diet, not just me avoiding meat. Anyway, here's some of what I do now:
-avoid all cow dairy except organic butter
-eat goat dairy
-eat organic (and free farmed) fish and poultry (a small amount almost everyday)
-try to eat a bit of red/organ meats once a month (still hard for me)
-eat free range/grass fed eggs (quite a few)
-lots of veggies, lots of salads (no raw spinach or broccoli)
-fruits with goat yogurt is breakfast usually
-grains only once a day as no more than %20 of meal and NO WHEAT
-try to prepare meal yourself to have control over contents
-absolutely no trans fats (very cancer/inflamation causing)

I know that is long, but I feel really liberated with all the new knowledge I've been gathering and I really wanted to share it.
peace.

#9 hazelnut66

hazelnut66

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 January 2005 - 05:57 PM

thanks cjb, the liver flushing thing seems like a good idea (then again everything i haven'tried always does at first) except i am confused on how to do it. do you have suggestions?
inzalilac, did this really work for you, or do you think your acne just wasn't severe and could have possibly just had a phase? if the no grains thing is actually some kind of cure, i'd by all means do it but it seems absurd to me...
thanks everyone for suggestions

#10 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 January 2005 - 06:06 PM

hazelnut, I've always read about liver flushing, but never tried it. Everyone here always recommends checking out curezone, but Denise posted a link to sensiblehealth.com and I found that VERY helpful. I have not done it yet. I'm cleaning out my colon first.
I'm intrigued by what inzalilac says, because before I had acne, I thought I had the diet thing all figured out. Now I'm being forced to rethink it. I have no ethical issue with OTHER people consuming organic meat, but I have NO desire. Fish maybe. I do take a fish oil supplement, but as far as eating fish, I worry about mercury and PCB contamination. Right now, I am just trying to avoid wheat/gluten and eating higher protien "grains" like quinoa.
My regimen:

#11 antimatter

antimatter

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 01:58 PM

Try vegetable juicing, I was like you at the beginning. I was like, what the hell can I eat? Every food seemingly had a problem with it, even supplements, so then I said, fuck it, and just gulped down a bunch of vegetable juice.

#12 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 07:20 PM

Vegetable juice is great. Try eating the VEGETABLES themselves, too. They will give you fiber.
My regimen:

#13 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE(cjb @ Jan 27 2005, 05:06 PM)
hazelnut, I've always read about liver flushing, but never tried it.  Everyone here always recommends checking out curezone, but Denise posted a link to sensiblehealth.com and I found that VERY helpful.  I have not done it yet.  I'm cleaning out my colon first.
I'm intrigued by what inzalilac says, because before I had acne, I thought I had the diet thing all figured out.  Now I'm being forced to rethink it.  I have no ethical issue with OTHER people consuming organic meat, but I have NO desire.  Fish maybe.  I do take a fish oil supplement, but as far as eating fish, I worry about mercury and PCB contamination.  Right now, I am just trying to avoid wheat/gluten and eating higher protien "grains" like quinoa.

View Post

I'm doing my first liver flush tonight. I've already downed 2 doses of 3/4 cups of the epsom salt solution and will down the olive oil/grapefruit juice combo in an hour and a half. I'm hoping for some quality stones...

#14 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 07:29 PM

Good luck, Steve! Let us know how it goes. Did you do anything else to prepare for it, or did you just go for it?
My regimen:

#15 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE(cjb @ Jan 28 2005, 06:29 PM)
Good luck, Steve!  Let us know how it goes.  Did you do anything else to prepare for it, or did you just go for it?

View Post

Well, I didn't do anything planned but the more I read, the more I realized I had already been doing what was needed to prepare. I eat garlic and coconut oil daily both of which are parasite killers. I've been eating plenty of fiber rich foods and since I never had constipation problems, I read that I could skip the colon cleanse that some people do beforehand. Next time I do it though, I'll do the apple juice thing where you drink apple juice every two hours the day before so that the malic acid in the juice can break up the stones. Other than that, I just went for it. Bought a crapload of grapefruit(I bought like 8, and only used three for the flush items) and the rest of the things I had at home. It's really not that bad, although the epsom salt mixture isnt' TOO pleasant, it's still doable. I'm about to drink the olive oil mixture so I hope that goes down ok and after that, it's off to bed I go.

#16 hazelnut66

hazelnut66

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE(antimatter @ Jan 28 2005, 02:58 PM)
Try vegetable juicing, I was like you at the beginning. I was like, what the hell can I eat? Every food seemingly had a problem with it, even supplements, so then I said, fuck it, and just gulped down a bunch of vegetable juice.

View Post

as in....95% veg. juice or what? if you're saying this can cure acne, then of course i'd do it

#17 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE(SteveLewis @ Jan 28 2005, 07:41 PM)
Well, I didn't do anything planned but the more I read, the more I realized I had already been doing what was needed to prepare. I eat garlic and coconut oil daily both of which are parasite killers. I've been eating plenty of fiber rich foods and since I never had constipation problems, I read that I could skip the colon cleanse that some people do beforehand. Next time I do it though, I'll do the apple juice thing where you drink apple juice every two hours the day before so that the malic acid in the juice can break up the stones. Other than that, I just went for it. Bought a crapload of grapefruit(I bought like 8, and only used three for the flush items) and the rest of the things I had at home. It's really not that bad, although the epsom salt mixture isnt' TOO pleasant, it's still doable. I'm about to drink the olive oil mixture so I hope that goes down ok and after that, it's off to bed I go.

View Post

Yay! I probably eat a half a head (not clove) of garlic every day. I figured I'd do the p&b shakes just because I have to wait until next weekend to have a couple of free days to do the cleanse. I'm excited!
My regimen:

#18 Pika

Pika

boobs

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2005 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE(hazelnut66 @ Jan 21 2005, 10:46 PM)

View Post

have u tried antibiotics?
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#19 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2005 - 05:57 AM

QUOTE(cjb @ Jan 28 2005, 08:28 PM)
Yay!  I probably eat a half a head (not clove) of garlic every day.  I figured I'd do the p&b shakes just because I have to wait until next weekend to have a couple of free days to do the cleanse.  I'm excited!

View Post

And I'm up. The olive oil/grapefruit mixture actually taste pretty good, go figure eusa_think.gif . I took my third dose of epsom salts this morning and found that them hard to take eusa_sick.gif even though I just gulped down the first dose, had some trouble with the second dose. I'm doing the alternative schedule so I'll drink some more of the Olive/grape mixture at 840 then lie down and have my last dose of epsoms at 1040. So far, no trips to the bathroom although my stomach was grumbling and after taking the olive oil, It was as if I could feel something moving through my whole digestive tract, it was quite bizzare.

#20 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2005 - 05:59 AM

QUOTE(SteveLewis @ Jan 29 2005, 04:57 AM)
And I'm up. The olive oil/grapefruit mixture actually taste pretty good, go figure  eusa_think.gif . I took my third dose of epsom salts this morning and found that them hard to take  eusa_sick.gif even though I just gulped down the first dose, had some trouble with the second dose. I'm doing the alternative schedule so I'll drink some more of the Olive/grape mixture at 840 then lie down and have my last dose of epsoms at 1040. So far, no trips to the bathroom although my stomach was grumbling and after taking the olive oil, It was as if I could feel something moving through my whole digestive tract, it was quite bizzare.

View Post

And it's odd. I don't know why but all my active zits(~5 of them) are significantly less red and very dried out.