Photo

Best Foundation for Acne?

foundation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
61 replies to this topic

#1 Lisa!

Lisa!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2005 - 05:06 AM

What have you guys found to be the best foundation for acne? I am very picky over foundation, as it has to look completely natural as I am in harsh fluorescent lighting all day! It has to provide light to medium coverage and it has to last.

All foundations I seem to try just look awful after a few hours, and completely unnatural. I have a very oily t-zone and dry cheeks, so very combination skin.

I mainly use drugstore foundations, and I have found the following:

Maybelline Wonder Finish: The worst I have ever had, looks completely unnatural when it dries. Doesn't stay matte. Lasts max of 1 hour!

Clinique Anti-aging: Reasonable, did only last about 2 hours on my skin, did not provide the finish I wanted, and looked ok. But then again, I borrowed that one!

No.7 Luminising Foundation: Poor colour selection, gave a fake cakey looking finish, did not last.

Sally Hansen Fast and Flawless Airbrush: Looks good when you put it on, but the look only lasts about 2 hours, then it has to be redone, and does not like powder!

Rio So Perfect Airbrush Foundation: Very hard application, looks natural in normal lighting, but under fluorescent lights looks fake. The foundation is very drying.

Max Factor Colour Adapt: The best one I have found so far, provides natural looking finish, lasts max of 4 hours, works well with powder, but very sheer.

I am thinking of trying MAC as everyone seems to rave about them! Any product recommendations or other brands?

#2 Bethanyrushes

Bethanyrushes

Bite me

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 13 January 2005 - 06:29 AM

Well I had Estee Lauder Equalizer that I really liked, but the coverage is pretty heavy and gave me a slightly 'dead' look. I used up the whole tube, but I always look elsewhere when I finish a foundation, trying to find a better one. Now I have Chanel luminising foundation but unfortunately it is VERY luminising and shows my spots up like beacons. I set my foundations with MAC Studio Fix, which I find better as a powder than a foundation as I didnt find the coverage to be all that, but maybe I am using it wrong. Other than that I had a Clinque one for combination skin, but I hated it. So so far the best was the Estee Lauder in fact I am thinking of going back to it.

#3 JLynneCosmetics

JLynneCosmetics

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2005 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE(EDAT @ Jan 13 2005, 04:06 AM)
What have you guys found to be the best foundation for acne?

Hi there!

I know I'm a bit biased, but I love mineral foundation! I too have acneic skin and need medium-to-heavy coverage. Mineral foundation has been great for covering my acne and lasting all day long -- I even swim in it sometimes! The key, especially for someone with dry or combination skin, is to MOISTURIZE before you apply mineral foundation. Because most mineral foundation is in loose powder form, it doesn't introduce any moisturze to your skin, and tends to be somewhat oil absorbent. So if you're interested in using minerals for your foundation, be sure to get a great moisturizer (or just try plain oils -- I like hazelnut and grapeseed, they're nice and light.) Then use a flat-top brush or kabuki-style brush to buff the minerals into your skin, and you'll get a nice, all-day finish! Give it a try!

Take care!

#4 kelly85

kelly85

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2005 - 11:50 AM

I have been using Neutrogena foundation for about 5 years now. It's the blemish treatment and contains salycic acid. I know that some people have a problem with salycic acid, but there's not enough in it to really make a difference. It provides a natural looking finish and it's oil free and non-comogenic. Neutrogena products are usually the best makeup to go with from my experience. Then I use physician's formula coverstick and covergirl powder. Anyway, the foundation is in a square bottle and costs about 12 dollars, but it lasts for a long time.

#5 Ashleypanda

Ashleypanda

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2005 - 01:11 PM

I've tried many drug store foundations, none seem to appear natural, especially when the makeup dries, and is set with powder.

I just started using Marcelle True Radiance SPF 15 hypo allergenic non-comedogenic, etc, foundation and it seems to be doing a good job. I've really cut back on how much I use, and I lightly blot my sponge in a drop of water first and I apply Aveda all-sensitive moisturizer and all-sensitive toner before I apply any makeup, so I don't get a heavy, matte finish, which I hate.

I've tried only one MAC foundation, so I can't say for the others, but the Studio Fix I found was too matte for me, but then again, that's the only liquid foundation by MAC that offers a matte finish.

Clinique Superbalanced Makeup was good, but in the sunlight it didn't seem to blend well with my pale olive skin...I don't understand why they can't make a foundation for all the Latin, Greek, Italian, etc. people that have olive skin.. sad.gif ...anyway. This is a very long post, but that's from my experience. Different foundations work well for different people...you just have to go broke trying a hundred of them before you find a good match eusa_angel.gif

#6 heyitssarah

heyitssarah

heyitssarah

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2005 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE(kelly85 @ Jan 13 2005, 05:50 PM)
I have been using Neutrogena foundation for about 5 years now.  It's the blemish treatment and contains salycic acid.  I know that some people have a problem with salycic acid, but there's not enough in it to really make a difference.  It provides a natural looking finish and it's oil free and non-comogenic.  Neutrogena products are usually the best makeup to go with from my experience.  Then I use physician's formula coverstick and covergirl powder.  Anyway, the foundation is in a square bottle and costs about 12 dollars, but it lasts for a long time.

View Post

yer i totally agree! neutrogena's the best iv found in years!! i dont like the rest of their skin products but their foundation is amazing! id say u shd deof try this one, it worked for me!

#7 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2005 - 04:44 PM

Seriously try mineral makeup if you don't want to look like you're wearing ANY makeup. I have found that if covers as well as liquid, and with liquid foundation, people can ALWAYS tell you're wearing it. Sorry, but it's true.

#8 Lisa!

Lisa!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2005 - 05:45 PM

Yep, I think I am going to have a go at Mineral Foundations. And if that is a no no, then I am going to try MAC. And then if not I am going to a department store and am going to spend all day finding something good! My draw is literally full of foundation powders and brushes! And I am fed up with looking in the mirror and having to spend 10mins removing and re-doing my foundation!

Do mineral foundations last a long time? Even with very oily skin?

#9 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2005 - 06:11 PM

Edat,
I'm probably not the best source on all this since I've only been using them for about a week, but here is my experience. I ordered some Jane Iredale like a year ago because my mom recommended it and it was horrible. It didn't cover at all, so I gave up on minerals because I thought they were only for people who didn't need any coverage. But after reading some gals on this site who really liked them, I decided to give them a go again. The idea that there are no extra preservatives and chemicals in them is really appealing to me, because I think my acne might be partially, or totally caused by my makeup. So I got some Aromaleigh samples, and I really like them! I also am waiting for some samples from Cory and Alphaskincare, as those seem to be 2 other co's that people like around here. I'll try some of JLynne's once she gets her site up and running too. From what I've read, application is key, but all I do is use a little aloe vera as moisturizer, wait 10 min for it to dry and just brush the minerals on. I did order a sample of the coquille corrective powder from aromaleigh, so I brush that on first, which evens out any blotchiness and then brush the minerals on for coverage. I have to do several layers to get the coverage I like, but it still doesn't look powdery or anything. It lasts all day too. I don't really have oily skin, but I did get oily when I wore liquid foundation. I think some companies have primers that are supposed to help with oiliness. So, my skin doesn't look perfect with minerals, but it didin't look perfect with liquid either! And I'd rather look like I'm not wearing any makeup, than look like I'm trying to cover something that everybody can still see anyway! Anyway, I'm sure Jess will give you some more tips if you want them. Good luck!
Carrie

#10 girl3900

girl3900

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 January 2005 - 06:32 PM

Revlon Colorstay..I recommend it all the time. I love it and wouldn't try anything else. It covers great without looking cakey and stays for about 6-7 hours before it gets oily (on me, anyway). I have moderately oily skin and I don't even need to use a powder with it. It's great.

#11 JLynneCosmetics

JLynneCosmetics

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2005 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE(EDAT @ Jan 13 2005, 04:45 PM)
Do mineral foundations last a long time? Even with very oily skin?

Hi there!

As an oily-skinned gal who gets some dryness in the winter and major oil-slicks in the summer, I can really sympathize with someone who wants foundation that LASTS and LASTS! smile.gif

CJB said it really well -- minerals look very natural, and they almost seem to meld with your skin to give you a really nice finish. If a mineral foundation is well-made, the oils in your skin will actually make the foundation look even BETTER as the day wears on! Sounds crazy, but it's true!

I definitely recommend trying samples from a few different companies to see what you like!

Take care!

#12 ritzvin

ritzvin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2005 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE(girl3900 @ Jan 13 2005, 07:32 PM)
Revlon Colorstay..I recommend it all the time. I love it and wouldn't try anything else. It covers great without looking cakey and stays for about 6-7 hours before it gets oily (on me, anyway). I have moderately oily skin and I don't even need to use a powder with it. It's great.

View Post

That was my favorite back when I needed more coverage. It had by far the best coverage of everything that wasn't so tremendously thick that they looked terrible and cakey. It lasted pretty long too. It's about the only foundation I've used that I would call medium coverage. Everything other than this and 'high coverage' foundations had nothing more than I'd call low coverage.

I had also tried (and found these to suck in comparison) (these are the ones I can remember anyway):

Neutrogena salicylic acid one - dried to spackly finish w/in 2 hours..looked terrible then

Neutrogena SPF - broke me out like no other foundation ever did

Maybelline wonder finish - pink!

almay skin stays clean - among the better I tried, still not enough coverage and lasting power though.

almay one with salicylic acid - too low coverage, quite oily feeling (this helped it blend very well and helped powder blend into it better, but lowered coverage, and made more powder necessary).

Body shop tea tree oil foundation - same effect as the SA containing almay one...similar consistency and coverage.

Lancome photogenic - looked very ashen, not that great a finish either

coverblend - high coverage, very thick, difficult to blend, has very tacky finish - powder clings to it too much and makes it look very cakey (and yes, powder is necessary)...if it gets wet (esp without powder), it does some really odd streaking things that can't be fixed at work. doesn't last toolong.

coverblend concealer - high coverage, better blendability and finish than their foundation, still too cakey looking after powder application (but the best I've found for that coverage amount). doesn't last too long. something worth trying if you need really high coverage though.

Estee Lauder extra coverage - I really couldn't get this stuff to look good

Illuminaire extra coverage - "

#13 ritzvin

ritzvin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2005 - 12:26 PM

d'oh...I forgot to add in the mineral foundations...

Jane Iredale pressed - way too coarse (looks bad); way too low coverage
Aromaleigh, Monave, Cory:

The higher coverage formulations (higher concentration of titanium dioxide) got oily and separated rather quickly, and also had a strange-looking finish. I had to apply too much (enough that it looked weird) to get decent coverage. The more diluted formulas did not provide enouh coverage. They all got really, really oily on my skin unless I diluted the formula almost 50/50 with starch (and/or kaolin), and then the coverage was too low. (Putting starch or talc-based powder above or below the formulas didn't fix the oil problem for me). My skin also doesn't seem to like starch very much, so my skin condition did not improve - it actually felt congested with slight bumps. My skin actually improved when I switched from the mineral makeups to Revlon Colorstay. (Using talc instead of starch probably would have agreed with my skin more, but I didn't want to be applying a formula containg a lot of loose talc around my nose).

#14 lovely

lovely

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2005 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE(girl3900 @ Jan 13 2005, 08:32 PM)

View Post

This is my fave too....I have combo skin, and this is the first foundation I have found to last all day, it also does a great job of hiding pih spots

#15 JLynneCosmetics

JLynneCosmetics

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2005 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE(ritzvin @ Jan 14 2005, 11:26 AM)
The higher coverage formulations (higher concentration of titanium dioxide) got oily and separated rather quickly, and also had a strange-looking finish. I had to apply too much (enough that it looked weird) to get decent coverage. The more diluted formulas did not provide enouh coverage. They all got really, really oily on my skin unless I diluted the formula almost 50/50 with starch (and/or kaolin), and then the coverage was too low.

Hi there!

The same thing happened to me ... I tried to make a heavy-coverage foundation with a high concentration of titanium dioxide and it lasted about 1 hour before it started to separate and it needed to be touched up constantly during the day. I think the problem is that titanium dioxide is highly oil-absorbent, so as it absorbs oil, it makes your skin work extra hard to keep moisturized -- hence the extra oil production. Your best bet is to try a foundation that also includes zinc oxide as an ingredient. Zinc oxide provides great coverage in a foundation formula and helps ease up on the oil absorption caused by the titanium dioxide.

If you still find that you're getting oily during the day, try a finishing powder with serecite. It's great for keeping the shine down, and it's super light-weight -- whereas kaolin clay can sometimes be too heavy as a powder.

Hope that helps! smile.gif

#16 ayla

ayla

dum spiro, spero

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 15 January 2005 - 10:03 AM

Hello

While Kaolin can be too heavy if used alone, if you get the correct blend, it is the perfect remedy too stop oily break through during the day.

Mica, on the other hand, does not absorb oils, it merely provides an optical illusion. You really don't want to use Mica Secricite on acne prone skins. Mica has a jagged particle shape that tends to lodge itself in the pore, cause more pimples.

Likewise, Zinc Oxide should also not be used on individuals prone to acne. While zinc oxide is very soothing, and somewhat antibacterial, it also clogs pores. Zinc Oxide is especially noted for exasperating cystic acne.

For more information on Mica go to:

http://www.acne.com/p_cosmetic.php

and read paragraph labeled 3.

For more info on Zinc Oxide got to:

http://www.zerozits....es/article6.htm

just scroll down to find Zinc Oxide and the level to which it clogs the pores. It's only a one, but for me, I don't even want to take that risk.

To read a very thorough and comprehensive list of comedogenic (pore-clogging/acne causing) ingredients common to Mineral Makeups you could try my site:

http://www.realminer...ngredients.html

or to read about the specific actions of certain ingredients, with links to outside information:

http://www.realminer...nformation.html

Hope this helps!!

xxoo

#17 lauramarie

lauramarie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2005 - 10:47 AM

i love Trumatch by loreal..great stuff! but when my skin is acting up and i need more coverage..instaed of getting a thicker foundation..i dot on Benefit Bo-Ing concealer which totally covers everything up!
i tried lancome photogenic..ok but not worth the 55$
Revlon dream matte mousse..i do enjoy it- but in the winter,,my skin is too dry for a matte finish
Sally HAnsen airbrush makeup..totally broke me out like crazy!
so i guess Truematch it is then!

#18 Lisa!

Lisa!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2005 - 08:55 AM

Well I brought some of your Revlon Colour-Stay and unfortunately it is a very bad colour match for me. I brought the lightest available shade - 02 buff (I would have thought there would be an 01 but there isn't) and although the colour does make me look nice and tanned, I have to put it all over my neck etc, or suffer a major tide mark! The finish it gives it quite good, and it lasts on me for about 3 hours. But rubs off VERY easily and as I wear white quite often, it’s a very big no no!

I got a free sample of Marvaldi Airbrush Foundation yesterday and this stuff is amazing, it looks like there is nothing on you but it provides very buildable coverage. Even without being applied with an airbrush. Unfortunately it is VERY red??? All of their colour range appears to be pink based, apart from one! So when I am done trying on thousands of other foundations I may go back and try that one.

I have ordered some mineral foundation, which should be arriving tomorrow. And I am going to try MAC Studio Fix asap. So I'll let you know how I get on with those!!

#19 acnehater

acnehater

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2005 - 01:34 PM

I have been using "Prescriptives Virtual Skin - Natural Finish" for about a month and I absolutely love it. Top it off with their "Powderful Adjustable Coverage Pressed Powder" and you look airbrushed, but in a natural way. I have combo skin and it is, by far, the best I have tried. Can be layered to adjust coverage from light to medium, doesn't get cakey, doesn't look phony. Also, doesn't break me out.

#20 heyitssarah

heyitssarah

heyitssarah

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2005 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE(acnehater @ Jan 18 2005, 07:34 PM)
I have been using "Prescriptives Virtual Skin - Natural Finish" for about a month and I absolutely love it.  Top it off with their "Powderful Adjustable Coverage Pressed Powder" and you look airbrushed, but in a natural way.  I have combo skin and it is, by far, the best I have tried.  Can be layered to adjust covered from light to medium, doesn't get cakey, doesn't look phony.  Also, doesn't break me out.

View Post

can u get all this stuff in the uk??