Photo

Accutane and Milk?

milk

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 whtx

whtx

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2005 - 08:19 PM

What do you guys think about the things they say about how milk is horrible because of the hormones? To be honest, I have had pretty moderate acne but never noticed any difference between drinking and not drinking it.

Is there any truth to that in fat free skim milk? Im taking accutane right now. Im wondering if its ok to drink it.

#2 Black Jack

Black Jack

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2005 - 08:23 PM

I've taken accutane twice and I never saw a correlation between milk and acne. I wouldn't worry about it. If it bothers you then don't drink it. I drink organic milk where they don't inject the cows with hormones to make them produce extra milk, so I wouldn't know about normal milk drinking.

#3 Black Jack

Black Jack

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2005 - 08:27 PM

I would also recommend you take a fish oil supplement and if you have achy joints, then a "glucosamine + chondroitin" supplement. I found both supplements help while on accutane.

#4 johnnyboy

johnnyboy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2005 - 08:28 PM

They say goatmilk is much better than cowmilk, so I think ill stop drinking cowmilk for some months and try to buy a goat, just to see if it helps.

#5 Black Jack

Black Jack

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2005 - 08:30 PM

Ewww! Goats milk! Why not just drink yummy soy milk?

#6 johnnyboy

johnnyboy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2005 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE(Black Jack @ Jan 10 2005, 02:30 AM)
Ewww! Goats milk! Why not just drink yummy soy milk?

View Post

Well, I already had soymilk once, but I really disliked it.

#7 whtx

whtx

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2005 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE(Black Jack @ Jan 9 2005, 07:27 PM)
I would also recommend you take a fish oil supplement and if you have achy joints, then a "glucosamine + chondroitin" supplement. I found both supplements help while on accutane.

View Post

How much is the price difference between organic vs regular skim milk?

thanks

#8 Black Jack

Black Jack

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2005 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE(whtx @ Jan 9 2005, 08:33 PM)
How much is the price difference between organic vs regular skim milk?

thanks

View Post

At CostCo it is something like $7.50 for three 2 quart cartons. So it does cost more than regular milk. Soy milk is about the same too.

#9 Black Jack

Black Jack

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2005 - 08:40 PM

Here's a link to the milk I drink: http://www.horizonorganic.com/

#10 Mitzie

Mitzie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2005 - 11:34 PM

I've heard about the milk-acne connection before and was intrigued anough to give up all dairy for 3 months.

There was no change in my skin and I was starting to have fantasies about menage a trois with Mr. Softie and the Good Humour man. Bad stuff, let me tell you.
However, all people are different and dairy might cause problems for some people, especially if your ancestors are from a part of the world where cows milk isn't part of the traditional diet. Make sure to supplement with other sources of calcium if you give up dairy.

#11 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE(Mitzie @ Jan 9 2005, 10:34 PM)
I've heard about the milk-acne connection before and was intrigued anough to give up all dairy for 3 months.

There was no change in my skin and I was starting to have fantasies about menage a trois with Mr. Softie and the Good Humour man. Bad stuff, let me tell you.
However, all people are different and dairy might cause problems for some people, especially if your ancestors are from a part of the world where cows milk isn't part of the traditional diet. Make sure to supplement with other sources of calcium if you give up dairy.

View Post

I used to eat dairy/gluten daily(Sandwiches, Pizza, cereal) and my acne was awful. I went off the stuff and completely overhauled my diet and now I'm ~95% clear with a few zits still remaining. I'm pretty sure it was either of the two causing my acne and I don't really know which. However, once I'm 100% clear for a few weeks, I'll probably start adding small amounts of cheese for example and see if my breakouts return.