Photo

flakes, flakes EVERYWHERE

red mark

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 gingeebread :)

gingeebread :)

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2005 - 10:04 AM

I'm a long time regimen user. I only had problems with flakey skin when I initially began, but with time the dryness/flakiness stopped.

But now....It's BACK!

FLAKINESS like it's going out of style. cry.gif sad.gif I'm not talking an occassional flake here or there. I'm not talking about little patches of dryness and flakes. I mean my face looks like one BIG FLAKE. The flakes are flying everywhere!! cry.gif confused.gif Every movement I make, I flake. I will never get lost because wherever I go, I leave a trail of flakes behind. ninja.gif

The only thing I've changed is switching to Dan's BP gel about two months ago. But I love this stuff and I really don't think it's causing this sudden severe case of flakes. doubt.gif The only other thing I changed is using a small amount of very diluted ACV for red marks. eusa_think.gif But once I saw the ridiculous flakiness, I stopped using the ACV for a couple of weeks and the flakes continued confused.gif Should I have quit the ACV for longer, to see if it is the culprit? Anyway, my question is this....

Can someone PLEASE suggest a solution for severe out-of-control FLAKINESS??

Should I exfoliate? Try a different moisturizer?? I just don't know anymore!! sad.gif I've always used Eucerin Renewal, but that did nothing for the flakes this time around. So I switched to Eucerin Q10 which is a little bit richer. It worked for a couple of weeks....and then like some sort of nightmare, the flakes returned! eusa_wall.gif

Can someone who has been in a similar situation please tell me what you did to kill the flakes?? Someone who has literally had flakes flutter off their face every single time you spoke, smiled, hugged/kissed someone! I need serious answers, not just a ton of product ideas tossed at me. Someone who can tell me, "I've been there, and this is what totally got RID of the flakes" Can someone share my sorrow here?? cry.gif sad.gif *crying and flaking like crazy*

Thanks in advance sad.gif
Regimen user (and fan!) since 7.18.03 - 4 years

#2 Dan

Dan

Administrator

• Admin
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 January 2005 - 10:57 AM

Even Eucerin Skin Renewal isn't keeping the flakes at bay? Are you moisturizing twice a day?

#3 IndianGuy25

IndianGuy25

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2005 - 12:18 PM

Are you drinking plenty of fluids? Are you washing your face too hard, too much?

#4 Guest_Tobster85_*

Guest_Tobster85_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 03 January 2005 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE(KookyBastard32 @ Jan 3 2005, 02:18 PM)
Are you drinking plenty of fluids? Are you washing your face too hard, too much?

View Post

I agree. Drink lots of water. Not only is it healthy, but toxins will leave your body quicker -> less acne. For me, I drink almost a gallon a day of water. Man, my skin cleared pretty quickly when I do.

Like Dan's stated. Only wash twice a day, and very very lightly.

If you've been doing that, maybe you need to exfoliate to remove the dead skin.

#5 gingeebread :)

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2005 - 03:39 PM

oh thanks so much for the replies !

Dan you're a gorgeous genius ! hehe but back to the issue at hand, yes I do moisturize twice a day....sometimes 3, 4, 5 times! trying to hide these multiplying flakes sad.gif *sigh* Maybe I should switch back to the Eucerin Renewal, give it another shot. I mean, it's worked beautifully for me in the past.

Hey you know, Kooky excl.gif i think you're on to something!! I totally forgot, but i had also switched my cleanser. I started using Cetaphil, which I know it's supposed to be not as drying as other cleansers. But the thing is, that I end up washing my face like 3 times because I feel it doesn't remove my make-up well enough eusa_doh.gif Do you think that may be it? I wash gently. But certainly not the few seconds that Dan recommends. I wash gentle, then rinse, then wash again, then rinse, etc. Could that be too much? confused.gif Could it have caused these nightmare flakes?

I'll try drinking loads and loads of water, too. Anything to get rid of these!! ninja.gif

I'd appreciate any other advice!! You all know much more about this stuff than me. Thanks a lot! wub.gif

#6 janeir36

janeir36

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2005 - 06:44 PM

Washing 3x in one sitting is definitely too much. What were you using before? Also, don't dilute the Cetaphil in any way before using it. Apply the lotion directly on your skin, keep adding more and massage it in until you feel comfortable with the work it has done, then use water to rinse it off. If you read the directions, this is actually what it says! Hopefully that will prevent you from needing to use it multiple times.

Or you can do something else I do. Spread it thickly and very gently over your whole face (or wherever you have makeup). Then even more gently, use a cotton ball to swipe it off. Then apply the cetaphil again on your face and cleanse before rinsing it off.

Either of those two options, or switch back to a cleanser that would get the job done without eventually overdrying your skin!

#7 schmishy

schmishy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 04 January 2005 - 02:04 AM

I don't konw if this will help.........

I've never actually had your problem, and I actually have a thread going about this stuff......

But I say as last resort, try vitamin e oil. You can buy it at any supermarket (vitamin section, not beauty) I used it before the regimen, and I'm TELLING you.....my face was soooo soft, and so moisturized when I used that stuff. And, this was even when I was using ten percent bp!!!! I woke up with such soft skin.

Now, I warn you, the whole reason why I started the thread was because I've never used it during the regimen. I've only been on it for two weeks, so I'm scared to alter the regimen since I want to see how it works for me. I have no idea if it could make you break out....someone said in that thread that they heard somewhere that it did. Personally? It never did that to me. Again, however, that was before this regimen.

If your flakiness is that bad, I'd say try it. Ugh, flaking on people is NOT fun, and I'm sure you want to get rid of it. I say do everything like you normally do in the morning, then at night, wash with cleanser, let it dry, bp, let it soak in, then instead of your moisturizer, coat your face with a thin layer of the vitamin e oil .(only do this at night, it makes your face really really shiny) Also, don't do this every night. It's a very powerful moisturizer, so I'd say that you should do it every other night, or every two or three. On the nights you don't use the vitamin e oil, of course use your regular moisturizer.

Sorry if I sound all haughty and doctor-ish. I just saw your story, and I honestly think that you should try this. At most, it could make you break out, but as I said, if you don't do it every night, you shouldn't have a problem.

Good luck!!!!!!!

#8 gingeebread :)

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 January 2005 - 08:57 AM

thanks so much for taking the time to try to help!! wub.gif Janeir36, I am so totally going to try that with my cetaphil. I'll spread it on my face gently first, then wipe off gently. I'm sure it'll cleanse my make-up off just fine, as I don't use much anyhow. I just get paranoid thinking I still have make-up residue after cleansing eusa_shifty.gif But I will definitely take your advice!

oh my gosh, schmishy! i was considering vitamin E oil! But I haven't seen much feedback here on it causing any breakouts or what confused.gif It may not hurt to try, especially if it's like you said. Just at night, and not every night. eusa_think.gif Think I might pick some up!

I can't tell you how helpful everyone here at this board is! Thank you! and thanks Dan for having it available to us!!

Die flakes, die!! lol.gif

#9 Dan

Dan

Administrator

• Admin
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 12
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 January 2005 - 10:42 AM

Hmmm...maybe an experiment is in order. Stop wearing makeup for a week or so and wash for only a few seconds gently.

Also, how much moisturizer are you using?

#10 gingeebread :)

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 January 2005 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE(Dan @ Jan 4 2005, 11:42 AM)
Hmmm...maybe an experiment is in order.  Stop wearing makeup for a week or so and wash for only a few seconds gently. 

Also, how much moisturizer are you using?

View Post

uh oh, I've been recruited as guinea pig! lol.gif But I am all for it, I shall try no makeup.....urgh! for a week? I sit at the front desk where I work! Hope I don't scare anyone off eusa_shifty.gif hehe But I'm game. These horrendous flakes are just as embarrassing as my faded red marks, if not MORE! ninja.gif

I know you don't recommend makeup use while on the regimen. But I just have to try to look presentable for work, you know? *sigh* If it weren't for having to use makeup, I wouldn't feel like I have to overwash. eusa_snooty.gif I'll try the experiment. (Something tells me I will be wearing my hair loose for the next week! eusa_shifty.gif )

I apply about 11 pumps of the Eucerin. Should I use more? eusa_think.gif I don't want to look all slick and stuff. But then again, my skin drinks it all up like it's thirsty as heck. And still the flakes persevere! mad.gif Unreal.

thanks for taking some time out to help me - and all of us - Dan! wub.gif

#11 melly

melly

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 January 2005 - 04:52 PM

Try using basic scotch tape to remove the flakes and see if that helps!

#12 gingeebread :)

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 January 2005 - 11:03 PM

thanks Melly! I tried that and it helped a bit on some spots. But when your entire face is a flake it's not so easy redface.gif Thanks for all the help everyone! I'm here to update!!

OKAY, so my face is slowly going back to normal!! eusa_dance.gif The flakes have diminished drastically eusa_pray.gif

What did I do....well, what didn't I do LOL But okay, I stopped using the vinegar. I think I'm just going to go ahead and let the red marks fade at their own pace. They're hardly noticeable anyway, so let me stop being so damn fastidious rolleyes.gif

I also took everyone's advice with the overwashing, I think this was truly the culprit. I simply apply the Cetaphil to my face very gently, then rinse off. The entire thing takes me about....15 to 20 seconds. Barely dry my face, just quickly pat it, and that's it. Wait 15 minutes. Then the usual, my beloved BP Gel, another 10 minutes, then apply the Eucerin. I also switched back to the Eucerin renewal.

But for sure, I think the real problem was how long I was taking washing my face. I felt the Cetaphil wasn't cleansing well enough, so I overdid the washing. But live and learn!

ALSO, I am on day 2 of no make-up! And Dan, I'm going to kill you LOL You have no idea how embarrassing it was stepping out of the house and going into the freakin office with just some mascara and lip gloss. NO powder or anything to help conceal my marks! redface.gif BUT i could kiss you too because this happened to have been my new year's resolution!! biggrin.gif I told myself I wanted to try going out bare and I did it!!! And you know what? No one said anything! I thought I would frighten people lol.gif I grilled my co-worker and told her to be 100% honest about the way I looked with no make-up. And she said, "The same. Not much of a difference." Although she did say I looked a little paler and that my skin tone is a bit uneven neutral.gif Meh. But I survived, I didn't die, my flakes are going away, and I'm a happier camper!! wooooowoooo! eusa_clap.gif eusa_dance.gif biggrin.gif I totally think we see our skin much worse than it actually is. *nods*

Thanks everyone! you all rock. I'm going to continue like this, and then maybe later....like, soon! go back to my make-up because I don't know how much more of this I can take! lmao eusa_shifty.gif

#13 R100

R100

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2005 - 02:17 PM

When I get bad flakes I just steam my face with a few drops of Aloe Vera which is quite soothing, plus it will help soften some spots.

I hope this helps.

But I find that steaming is the best option for me.

#14 Cervantes18

Cervantes18

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2005 - 02:29 PM

These ideas might of been said I didnt read all the posts but:

Use less BP
Use more moisturizer
Drink as much water as you can, then a little more

I know that when I started peeling and flaking bad, all I had to do was back off the BP and use more moisturizer and I noticed the difference the next day

#15 Pika

Pika

boobs

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2005 - 04:04 PM

ALOE VERA
i had flanky hands.. and it worked magic
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]