Photo

Sleep and acne are related.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 The_Iceman

The_Iceman

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2005 - 11:20 PM

"You kids have nothing to worry about, but I'll tell you, the one thing that really does cause acne is having an irregular sleep pattern."

This is how my old, wise Latin teacher responded to a girl in my class when she expressed concern about her own complexion. And I was wondering: is this actually true, or is it only an old wives' tale?

I know there has been little research relating diet and acne, but does anyone know of science supporting a relationsheep between sleep patterns and acne?

#2 Wally

Wally

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2005 - 01:46 AM

I don't know what I think of the sleep/acne connection. Recently on this forum I posted about the ancient Chinese thinking of getting to bed by a certain time of an organ won't get the full time it needs to rejuvenate. There is also the deal with cortisol. Here is a brief explanation of that:

Give Coffee a Break · Don’t Be Sleep Deprived · Minimize Stress
I’ve grouped these three guidelines together because stress, sleep deprivation, and coffee all raise levels of a stress hormone known as cortisol. Cortisol is essential for maintaining homeostasis during acute forms of stress, like fear, physical trauma, and extreme physical exertion. But a problem arises when cortisol is present for long periods of time and in excess quantities—which happens when we suffer from stress, drink coffee, or do not get enough sleep.
Chronically high cortisol levels can:

Increase body fat, especially in the abdominal region
Thin the skin
Depress the immune system
Elevate blood sugar
Cause bone loss
Be toxic to brain cells

In short, when we have chronically high cortisol levels we run the risk of acquiring wrinkles, excess weight, and a depressed mood!

http://www.imakenews...le000199272.cfm

I didn't really notice a big problem with this though until I actually read about it and believed it. I think my mind believed it and then when I stayed up late, I would believe I was going to break out, either consciously or subconsciously. My $0.02 eusa_eh.gif

"Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm."
- Abraham Lincoln

#3 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2005 - 03:57 PM

The Chinese theory is retarded.

Getting more sleep reduces stress/cortisol levels but this won't be significant enough in almost everyone to make a difference.

#4 xXillusion

xXillusion

banned

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2005 - 06:48 PM

have you ever heard of beauty sleep? When you get more sleep, you wake up with a very good looking face. If you didn't get enought sleep, you wake up witj ugly looking skin

that's what happened in the summer and over winter break!!

#5 Pika

Pika

boobs

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2005 - 07:06 PM

no its not.. i go to sleep at all diff times.. 11, 1.. 2..

[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#6 sinashgh

sinashgh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2005 - 07:46 PM

i dunno too much about this.. but in summer i slept like at least 11 hours everyday and it didn't help much even though I had same diet and same everything pretty much.

and then there were nights where for a whole 2 weeks i got like 4-6 hours of sleep each night of it and my acne was only VERY SLIGHTLY worse and i think thats because of other stress with tests coming up and shit... not necessarily because of lack of sleep altho that could be the cause as well but overall i have to say i haven't noticed MUCH difference.

#7 shawn239

shawn239

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 03 January 2005 - 08:06 PM

adds to more stress which can equal some acne with certain people

#8 The_Iceman

The_Iceman

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2005 - 10:34 PM

I wonder if oversleeping can cause acne too...

I slept 8-10 hours per day over Christmas break and my skin got slightly worse. I've never found that particularly stressful days cause me to break out, though.

#9 alaskacne

alaskacne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 January 2005 - 10:20 PM

Sleep helps my acne so much. I rarely ever have a new pimple when I wake up in the mouring, they always form in the daytime, never while I am sleeping. It seems that when I'm sleeping all my face does is heal. Over the winter break I slept so much and my face looks great now. Before break, I was getting about 6-7 hours of sleep a night and my face looked horrible. Now I'm just afraid that school has started my face will break out badly again because I won't be getting as much sleep.

#10 kashell

kashell

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 January 2005 - 12:35 AM

sleeping dosen't really seem to affect my acne, during the winter break I slept around like...10 hours and when I have school I sleep for like 4-5 hours and my acne is pretty much the same doubt.gif

#11 Greek

Greek

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 January 2005 - 04:35 PM

When i don't sleep i have a breakout. When i sleep my face looks great. It is simple for me

#12 skateVA93.9

skateVA93.9

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 January 2005 - 04:43 PM

well its just always made sense to me that if u get more sleep u will be better off on all aspects. but reall i mean if u get the right amount of sleep and not excessive.. i say around 8.
or maybe this all depends on when u go to sleep
but as for me if i got to bed 9:30-10:00 then wake and 6, i feel 'ready to start the day' i.e. not completely freakin tired.

and then again i believe some peeple need more sleep and others can go with less..

#13 Pika

Pika

boobs

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 January 2005 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE(Greek @ Jan 6 2005, 10:35 PM)
When i don't sleep i have a breakout. When i sleep my face looks great. It is simple for me

View Post

ur face repairs itself when ur sleepin.. its simple

#14 ~TEPL0~

~TEPL0~

back from the dead

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 January 2005 - 05:01 PM

sleep is great for the skin

#15 Unnamed

Unnamed

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 January 2005 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE(xXillusion @ Jan 4 2005, 01:48 AM)
have you ever heard of beauty sleep? When you get more sleep, you wake up with a very good looking face. If you didn't get enought sleep, you wake up witj ugly looking skin

that's what happened in the summer and over winter break!!

View Post

I thought beauty sleep simply meant that you had enough sleep to look good. Because when you don't get enough sleep, you wake up looking sleepy, and feeling bad, whilst when you get just the right amount of sleep, you feel good and thus you look better to other people.

In my personaly experience, sleep has nothing to do with how good my skin looks. But then again, it always looks bad.
My accutane blog

(With weekly pictures)

My Post-Accutane Blog

(With extra bacon!)

#16 Hyper-pig

Hyper-pig

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 January 2005 - 11:08 PM

sleeping is very much related to acne. i had 8-9 hrs of sleep each day in the holidays, but when school started i only had 5-6 hrs which broke me out real bad.

AND, my red marks will always appear much better the moment i wake up the nxt morning, but obviously gets worse as the day progresses.

#17 Unnamed

Unnamed

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2005 - 03:16 AM

sleeping is very much related to acne. i had 8-9 hrs of sleep each day in the holidays, but when school started i only had 5-6 hrs which broke me out real bad.

Can't you concider the possibility that this is related to something else? Like sunlight? People in their summer holidays usually get more sun, and their acne fades away because of it. But then when they have to resume their regular lives, the acne comes back worse than ever.

You probably already conviced yourself that sleep is the key, but all I'm saying is don't rush to conclusions too soon.
My accutane blog

(With weekly pictures)

My Post-Accutane Blog

(With extra bacon!)

#18 Pika

Pika

boobs

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2005 - 05:35 PM

yeah that dude dont think at all.. ah its sleep its sleep.. bro u go to school, and every1 of us with acne we stress about our acne, r ppl lookin at it, do they think were dirty sluts, etc..
stress, school food is bad to, its not ur sleep..

#19 alaskacne

alaskacne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2005 - 06:35 PM

if i slept 24 hours a day i would have clear skin. I swear it is very very rare that i ever wake up with new pimples. I always break out in the day.

#20 Pika

Pika

boobs

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2005 - 06:38 PM

cuz then u wouldnt eat anything harmful or stress out would u?