Photo

VITAMIN A CURES

vitamin vitamins vitamin a

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 ThomThumb

ThomThumb

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 January 2005 - 11:11 PM

dont do it

#2 Pika

Pika

boobs

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 January 2005 - 11:25 PM

congrats, what are the risks exactly

#3 ThomThumb

ThomThumb

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 January 2005 - 11:32 PM

really dry skin, especially in winter. Also minor eczema (itchy red spots on hairy places) but the ecsema is easy to treat with hydrocortisone.... but those were just my side effects, could be worse for you... also don't take it if your pregnant or might become pregnant (birth defects)

#4 ThomThumb

ThomThumb

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 January 2005 - 11:34 PM

#5 Brown Po

Brown Po

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2005 - 12:22 AM

Exactly how much is 50,000 IU and what brand Vitamin A do you get?

#6 Funk

Funk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2005 - 02:04 AM

Wow...sounds to me like you may be ODing on vitamin A.

Thats far too high of a dosage to be taking everyday.

P.S You should value your life.

Peace.

#7 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2005 - 04:48 AM

Funny if you don't value your life, why bother trying to get clear?

Anyway, at a therapeutic dose of 500,000IU of Vitamin A, under a doctor's supervision side effects are supposedly apparent after 3 or 4 months. So you probably have not seen the worst of it. Dry skin, lips, hair, hair loss, liver problems, hyperlidemia, and I believe possibly vision problems too.

Now hopefully you value your life a bit more and so perhaps you would like to decrease your dosage per 100,000IUs each week until you are taking 50,000 - 100,000IUs daily. As when taking anything, you want to take the LOWEST effective dosage (that's hopefully safe). So, here's a thread that discusses how you can make this level effective enough without hopefully experiencing any of it's toxic side effects http://www.acne.org/...showtopic=30721

Best Wishes

#8 Wally

Wally

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2005 - 05:26 AM

A while back I was very into Vitamin A. I did a little research on it so I'd thought I'd put some links up.

These two are by me on another acne board:

Information and Articles about Vitamin A

Great Post on Vitamin A and Acne

A really good site about Vitamin A and high doses is http://www.westonapr...taminasaga.html .This article is from the Weston Price foundation and is an excellent read!!!

#9 ThomThumb

ThomThumb

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2005 - 01:43 PM

ok ninja.gif

#10 Guest_Keeley_*

Guest_Keeley_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 02 January 2005 - 02:51 PM

i dont know about everyone, but my optition told me that taking vit a supplements is really bad even though its good for acne but crap for your eyes!! just thought i should let people know.

#11 ThomThumb

ThomThumb

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2005 - 05:24 PM

#12 Wally

Wally

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2005 - 05:50 PM

ok 

It can be overwhelming, the information, but its pretty interesting once you get into it.

#13 ThomThumb

ThomThumb

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2005 - 05:55 PM

#14 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 22
About Me

Posted 02 January 2005 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE(hunter04j @ Jan 2 2005, 03:24 PM)
well vitamin A is essential for the eyes, the scientific term for the vitamin is RETINOL, and its named that for its being essential for eyesight, Accutane is also a modification of Vitamin A, in the 1940 and 50's large doses of Vitamin A were consistantly used to treat severe acne but this practice stopped after it was connected with birth difects in babies.... just sayin eusa_boohoo.gif  eusa_boohoo.gif

View Post

Vitamin A is stored in the body. So taking supraphysiological doses of vitamin A leads to all sorts of problems such as intercranial hypertension, poor vision, dry skin, cracked lips, hyperlipidemia, etc.

#15 wza

wza

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2005 - 10:06 PM

If your insurance covers accutane why the hell would you megadose vit A? I'd imagine accutane is more effective and safer, and its effects are well known

#16 ThomThumb

ThomThumb

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2005 - 11:11 PM

#17 ThomThumb

ThomThumb

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2005 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE(evigrex @ Jan 2 2005, 09:31 PM)
Vitamin A is stored in the body.  So taking supraphysiological doses of vitamin A leads to all sorts of problems such as intercranial hypertension, poor vision, dry skin, cracked lips, hyperlipidemia, etc.

View Post

Good point... but studies have shown that the human body can absorb up to 300,000 IU for women and 500,000 IU for men daily for up to four months without any significant permanant side effects. In addition, I only took 500,000 IU for two weeks then reduced intake to slightly higher than normal.

#18 Wally

Wally

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2005 - 01:39 AM

If your insurance covers accutane why the hell would you megadose vit A? I'd imagine accutane is more effective and safer, and its effects are well known

I don't completely agree. Most people know Accutane is a serious drug but many don't know all the side effects it can bring on. I'm not talking about the suicide issue, more along the lines of aches and pains.

yeah its pretty overwhelming... all those LETTERS...and even sometimes NUMBERS OH MY GOSH!!!!

Okay I don't really know what you're getting at here..... eusa_think.gif

Vitamin A is stored in the body. So taking supraphysiological doses of vitamin A leads to all sorts of problems such as intercranial hypertension, poor vision, dry skin, cracked lips, hyperlipidemia, etc.

I think that is part of the problem-storing the Vitamin A. You can have Leaky Gut Syndrome or have a liver that isn't up to par, inhibiting your Vitamin A storage.

#19 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 January 2005 - 01:08 AM

Fuck sakes man 500,000? 5,000 supplimented is considered a lot, especially if you eat fruits or veggies, or even red meats.

#20 OzPower

OzPower

Arrogant Australian who talks to much :)

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 January 2005 - 01:29 AM

QUOTE(hunter04j @ Jan 2 2005, 03:32 PM)
really dry skin, especially in winter. Also minor eczema (itchy red spots on hairy places) but the ecsema is easy to treat with hydrocortisone.... but those were just my side effects, could be worse for you... also don't take it if your pregnant or might become pregnant (birth defects)

View Post

Hydrocoitisone is a steroid, its a syntheticly made replica of a hormone produced by the thyaroid to supress the immune system. By getting eczema patches, your getting an increased autoimmune response and t-cells are gathering under your skin to attack yourself, hence the hydrocoitisone to supress the response. Hydrocoitisone applied topically eats away at the skin thinning it and in time caused rosacea, a sometimes permanent reddenening of the skin causing hot flushes and an unsightly look.

Congratulations on the clear skin however.

Some people absolutely swear by massive doses of vitamin A,C or E.