Photo

Dieting Secret

vitamin vitamins fish oil omega-3

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 scongiundi

scongiundi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 January 2005 - 05:35 PM

I read this in an acne book and it does work. It's called Omega-3. It's a fatty acid found naturally in Salmon. It heals acne... and it works. I've been on a diet where I eat salmon all the time.... at least 5 times a week. and I can see a big difference. Now, don't get me wrong, all the other diet rules apply still... such as the fruits, nuts, vegies, no sugar, etc. But if you eat that omega-3 it'll help even more. You can even buy the vitamins (called fish oils) at a local grocery store. some foods even have it added.... which is good. I just went grocery shopping today and bought cereal with omega-3 and chips with omega-3. AND NO SUGAR EITHER....

next time ur at the grocery... keep it in mind.

#2 The_Iceman

The_Iceman

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2005 - 01:14 AM

I was hunting through my fridge earlier and found some eggs that said they had Omega-3 added to them. Sweet.

What exactly does Omega-3 do to "heal" acne?

#3 scongiundi

scongiundi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2005 - 09:36 AM

well since i do not have the book with me right now, i can't go in detail... but what I remember was it is an essential fatty acid that the body does not make, so it has to be added from what you eat. The body converts the essential fatty acids (EFAs) into the hormone-like substance prostaglandin, which reportedly has anti-inflammatory effects on the skin. It also increases the immune system.

I think it was something like that... but as soon as I get my book back (someone is borowing it) I will post more in detail.

#4 ~TEPL0~

~TEPL0~

back from the dead

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2005 - 10:32 AM

the trouble is, fish also contains iodine which causes more acne for me

#5 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2005 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE(teplo @ Jan 2 2005, 09:32 AM)
the trouble is, fish also contains iodine which causes more acne for me

View Post

Isn't fish oil though processed in a way that doesn't contain iodine?

#6 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2005 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE(SweetJade1980 @ Jan 2 2005, 12:29 PM)
Isn't fish oil though processed in a way that doesn't contain iodine?

View Post

It has trace amounts of iodine at most, which shouldn't be a problem even if excess iodine is your trigger. After all, there's some iodine in most common foods.

#7 The_Iceman

The_Iceman

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2005 - 11:26 PM

Thanks for your tip, scongiundi. By the way, what kind of dosage of Omega-3 is recommended? I don't want to overdo it.

#8 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2005 - 02:38 AM

QUOTE(scongiundi @ Jan 1 2005, 06:35 PM)
I read this in an acne book and it does work.  It's called Omega-3.  It's a fatty acid found naturally in Salmon.

View Post

Actually, "omega-3" isn't really _a_ fatty acid. That term refers to a FAMILY of fatty acids which share a certain important chemical property. Similarly, the term "omega-6" refers to a family of fatty acids which share a certain other chemical property. Here are some well-known members of both groups:

Omega-3: alpha-linolenic acid, EPA, DHA (I don't feel like spelling-out those last two! lol.gif ).

Omega-6: linoleic acid, gamma-linolenic acid, arachidonic acid.

BTW, allow me to get on my soapbox for just a moment about something that annoys me: I'm puzzled by what I consider to be an over-use of the term "essential fatty acids" (EFA). It seems to me that the adjective "essential" should be reserved for substances that are...well, ESSENTIAL. Like vitamin C, in other words! In that sense, it's been clearly established that linoleic acid (from the omega-6 family) is essential to human nutrition, and scientists now seem to think that alpha-linolenic acid (from the omega-3 family) is also essential in that same rigorous sense. But the other ones are NOT essential, because the body has enzymes to convert others into those non-essential ones. I constantly see people and even publications tossing around the term "essential fatty acids" in an all-inclusive context which doesn't seem appropriate to me.

Bryan

#9 forum

forum

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 03 January 2005 - 02:47 AM

i knwo what u mean! the term essential is thrown aorund far too often. my father works for Usana a health and nutritionals organization and everything is prefixed with �essential� and im like- im not on it? why am i not dead yet?

A GOOD OMEGA 3 SOURCE:

also, speaking of omega 3- usana has a product- its really cool i think- i havent started on it yet, but considering what uve braught up int his post it came to my mind- its a oil that u just add to your food, like, if u had spaghetti or stew or soemthing, u just chuck ina table spoon and it tastes no different. its a great way to recieve this supplement.. its called ----OPTIMEGA.. i recommend! im gonna try this out.

good luck all!

#10 rancid777

rancid777

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2005 - 12:09 PM

there was a post here about fish oil about a week ago which discussed this in detail. i ordered cod liver oil tablets w/ multivitamins, been takin them for 3 days now. they are sposed to help with oily skin too, we'll see what happens!

#11 Mad ID

Mad ID

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2005 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE(rancid777 @ Jan 3 2005, 07:09 PM)
there was a post here about fish oil  about a week ago which discussed this in detail. i ordered cod liver oil tablets w/ multivitamins, been takin them for 3 days now. they are sposed to help with oily skin too, we'll see what happens!

View Post

Hello
I have very oily skin. Been taking cod liver oil for 3 days and skin oil was the same. :-(
I will try again, this time 2-3 weeks. Can't hurt. Please post your results if you get less oil skin.

#12 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 January 2005 - 01:05 AM

The fish oil/omega 3/6/9, like anything seems to come up on the boards in cycles. A search would give you useful information.

#13 Funk

Funk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 January 2005 - 12:41 AM

Does anyone know of any other foods or juices that contain omega 3 fatty acids besides just salmon?

Thanks

#14 The Jack

The Jack

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 January 2005 - 08:44 AM

The oil in Flax Seeds contains Omega-3 Fatty Acid in a high concentration. And I take it, oddly, not for acne but for joint strength and flexibility. I am convinced it works for stiff and overworked joints and so it is easy for me to believe that it might reduce other kinds of fatigue and inflammation.

Important: If the oil (Omega-3 from flax seeds) is exposed to the air it begins to degrade, and it will eventually lose it healthful properties, becoming slowly rancid as many oils can. So if you decide to buy the stuff, buy it from a health food store that understands this. Vitamin Shope and GNC do not seem to know much about Omega-3s, as they sell ground flax seeds and liquid flax oils on unrefrigerated shelves. The only unrefrigerated Flax product that can still be relied on to contain fresh Omega-3 oil, is the unprocessed Flax Seeds themselves. At this time neither GNC not Vitamin Shope sell unprocessed Flax Seeds. If you buy the seeds you can grind them into a “Wheat Germ� consistency with a small coffee grinder.

How much? It is hard to say. I tend to consume two tablespoons of the stuff in the morning.

#15 The Jack

The Jack

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 January 2005 - 08:53 AM

Oh yeah, I almost forgot an important fact: Do not cook the Flax seeds or oil as it degrades the oil in some way that I don’t understand. It is also true that the human digestive system cannot open the seeds - aside from chewing them but they are too small to chew effectively - and so if you choose the Flax Seeds as your Omega-3 source, you must grind them.

#16 scongiundi

scongiundi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 January 2005 - 07:13 PM

hi guys, sorry i have posted i n a while.

first off, I think they say that they are essential because your body cannot make the acids. they have to be eatin by ur diet. I dunno.... doesn't matter to me though what the name is. lol.

yes, flax seed is a great source of omega-3 and i eat it daily. I bought cereal with it in it and put the flax seed on practicly everything. But i don't know if the thing about u can't being able to digest it without grinding it is true. The book i have didn't say anything about that. and it was a highly recommended book. who knows... all i know is that it's workin for me.

but lets see... otehr foods.... that have it....

-i have cereal called "sam's choice" that has it in it. ( a lot)
-flaxseed
-pumpkin seeds (make sure they are unsalted, or unsalt them urself, that's what i do)
-almonds
-i bought chips that have them (don't kno wif u can find those other places though)
-salmon
-also, there are supplements that u can take that have "fish oils" but some sites recommend not to take them.

they say to eat the fatty acids to make about 30% of ur total fat intake per day.

#17 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 January 2005 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE(scongiundi @ Jan 6 2005, 08:13 PM)
first off, I think they say that they are essential because your body cannot make the acids.  they have to be eatin by ur diet.

View Post

Isn't that what I said in my post above? eusa_think.gif

But there are only TWO (2) fatty acids which meet that stipulation. The others do not.

Bryan

#18 The Jack

The Jack

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2005 - 07:55 AM

Scongiundi,

What book have you read about Omega-3? My source was Dr. Andrew Weil’s book on Optimum Health.

Funk,

An excellent brand of Omega-3 Flax Oil is Barleans. It generally tastes nutty (a little like walnuts) and not like linseed oil, which is how many of the other GNC and Vitamin Shop brands taste.

#19 scongiundi

scongiundi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2005 - 05:53 PM

the book is called "The Acne Prescription" by Nicholas Perriocone.

It's a good book, believe me!!

#20 clayjar

clayjar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2005 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE(Funk @ Jan 4 2005, 10:41 PM)
Does anyone know of any other foods or juices that contain omega 3 fatty acids besides just salmon?

Thanks

View Post

A great product that will cover all of the EFA's and improve skin is Total EFA by Health From The Sun. You can order it at bodybuilding.com. Get the liquid kind as I heard it is better than the caps. It has helped my skin tremendously, although not completely. EFA's work to balance hormones for oil production control and reduce inflammation.