Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Polka

MSG, what does it really do?

12 posts in this topic

FIRSTLY CAN I SAY I WANT A NICE LITTLE DEBATE, THAT MEANS NO FLAMING OR NAME CALLING. DON'T POST IF YOU'RE GONNA STIR STUFF.

=====

I have been reading a little bit about MSG on the net. I want to know in your opinon whether MSG really is a health risk, taken in the doses we generally take a day? Its attributed to eye problems, fainting, acne, migraines, a lot of things basically..

Its found in a lot of junk foods and ready cooked meals, some frozen chickens, soya etc.

I read that the body makes the equivilent of 50grammes a day, and the average american eats about 11grammes of msg from food etc. (okay this isn't aan ironclad fact, I don't wanna be criticised).

MSG contains glutamate, glutamate is in many foods we eat.

Is this fear of MSG justified? I'd be interested to see what people like sweetjade have to say? Studies I have found on the net have generally been on rats, and only look at extremely HIGH doses...

Sorry if this isn't a good starter, but I have only read a little.

byz

I love MSG. It's in my favorite flavor of Doritos. I hope it's not that bad for you. Cause I love Doritos. sad.gif

Tracy, no! That reminds me that I have to ask you for advice.

MSG also known to induce the sixth sense Umami (where you can actually taste it) is a neurtransmitter used to enhance the flavor of food. It also either increases IGF-1 or acts as an IGF-1 mimicker (I forgot) so if you are avoiding Milk, Trans Fats, and perhaps certain carbohydrates to reduce your IGF-1 levels, then you may want to do this with MSG.

Personally, I don't eat foods with MSG as they give me headaches. Aspartame does aswell and I CAN taste aspartame. To be honest, the foods with MSG added, actually don't taste that good so maybe I can "taste" the MSG as I'm not impressed with Ramen & Doritos flavored foods, among other foods that contain this. How sad is that when you add a neurotransmitter to foods to make them taste BETTER and they still don't???

Anyway, only when I'm desperate or feeling nostalgic will I knowingly allow myself to eat foods with MSG (ex: beef jerky). As for whether it contributes to my acne, I don't know since I knowingly avoid it as much as possible. I do know that even small amounts of table sugar & high fructose corn syrup can give me acne everytime (ate a total of 12 - 15 pieces of candy, incl. some "bad" chocolate, in the past 2 weeks and my skin is showing it....but not as bad as I thought it would but I broke out ALL over), so depending on how sensitive one is to MSG, a small amount could be effective enough to cause problems. I personally just don't know. In fact MSG doesn't always give me headaches, but when I get these pounding painful stabbing headaches (don't have a clue what a migraine feels like) I discover that's when I've eaten foods with MSG.

Basically MSG & Aspartame won't cause problems for most people, unless their "blood brain barrier" is damaged. This is related to also having a "leaky gut" (damaged intestinal mucosal lining) where antibiotics, NSAIDS, stress, nutrient defficiencies (Ca, Zn, Folate) and I don't what else, can cause this damage. Yet if you can heal these barriers you can get away with eating certain ingredients and foods again as they won't be able to enter your blood stream and cause intolerant reactions/immune response. I'm tempted to say that I've got a Leaky Gut and probably damaged blood brain barrier (due to NSAID abuse) as not only do the above cause me problems, but most nuts break me out as well. Nuts are a BIG no no if you have a leaky gut and unfortunately I don't think I can eat any of them =(

Interestingly the top things to heal a leaky gut are Glutamine and Aloe Vera. Fish Oils are also implicated in this as well. Denise has done this and it's something I plan on doing as I'd love to be able to talk more about this is in more decided manner.

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)

* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)

* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

* Strengthen/Repair GI - Immune health

Research:

* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).

* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

What does MSG stand for?

"We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic cords of memory will swell when again touched as surely they will be by the better angels of our nature."

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)

* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)

* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).

* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

I now have to cut ranch dressing out of my diet, because I realized it has monosodium glutamate in it. I turned down the Chinese food last night, Tracy, and opted for a can of soup instead. I'm proud of myself.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

My friends just introduced me to the teenage girls squad. Can't believe I've never heard of strong bad or trogdor before.

Anyway, I don't think I'll ever give up my quasi-chinese food even though it probably has MSG in it. That fattening rice and chicken balls are just too damn good and if I die a year early because of it so be it.