how to control blood sugar?

6 replies to this topic

#1 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2004 - 02:30 AM

how can you prevent extreme fluctuations of blood sugar levels throughout the day, especially when consuming high glycemic fruits like bananas and pineapples?

does it help to exercise before or after high glycemic foods? what about combining certain fats (which ones) or fiber (soluble or insoluble) with the high glycemic foods?

anybody?

#2 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2004 - 02:37 AM

Blood sugar levels don't extremely fluctuate during the day. Insulin and another hormone (Whose name I forget) regulates this for the safety of your liver and heart so if your levels extremely fluctuated, you'd have some sort of diabetic disorder.

But if you're stressing over it... how about not eating high glycemic foods?

#3 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2004 - 03:38 AM

Blood sugar levels don't extremely fluctuate during the day

ok, maybe “extreme� isn't the right word but you know what i meant.

Insulin and another hormone (Whose name I forget)

adrenaline maybe?

well anyways, just because i'm not a diebetic, doesn't mean i shouldn't be concerned about blood-sugar levels. and my question was how to control blood-sugar levels when eating high glycemic foods, so it doesn’t help to just say don’t eat those foods.

#4 Rossignol

Rossignol

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 31 December 2004 - 07:02 AM

It's a good idea to supplement Chromium GTF to help control blood sugar fluctuations. The GTF stands for 'glucose tolerance factor' as it helps regulate glucose absorption. The best form to get is polynitcotinate, and take 200-400 ug per day.
I have been taking it for a couple of months but haven't felt it has helped a great deal with my acne, but I'm going to continue taking it until the bottle runs out.

#5 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2004 - 10:54 AM

thanks for the tip ross, im not really in the mood to buy any supplements at the moment, i just dropped painful amounts of money on PD, fish oil, and a shower filter (but i did score on the filter - 25 bucks for a handheld on ebay).

i think i'll try to eat more foods with high chromium values like broccoli.

you can get the straight skinny on chromium right here: http://lpi.oregonsta...erals/chromium/

#6 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2004 - 11:54 AM

Try to eat small, frequent meals throughout the day, each fairly balanced in proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. Avoid or reduce eating single foods by themselves that have a high glycemic index. For example, the custom of adding a nice pat of butter on a slice of bread will help slow the sugar uptake. BE AWARE of which foods have high and low glycemic indexes (for example, don't make the common mistake of thinking that ice cream must surely have a high index).

Substitute low-index sugars like fructose for high ones like glucose or sucrose (although there _may_ be other unrelated reasons arguing against the use of fructose).

Soluble fiber (but NOT insoluble fiber) slows the absorption of carbohydrates. Know what specific kinds of fiber are in the foods you eat, and their relative advantages and disadvantages!

Vinegar taken before a high-carb meal has been shown to slow the absorption of sugar and improve the insulin response. Here's a scan of a recent small study that was published in a medical journal:

http://www.geocities...gar_insulin.htm

Bryan

#7 Avelon

Avelon

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 January 2005 - 04:45 AM

QUOTE(flipside @ Dec 31 2004, 07:30 PM)
how can you prevent extreme fluctuations of blood sugar

View Post

A normal persons blood sugar level should be 4.5 to 5 but after eating can go up to about 11 and starts to come down with in 1 hour of eating, above 11 or below 4 and there’s trouble.

Bryan is right, you can keep it steady by eating 5 small meals aday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users