Photo

Diet and acne

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#1 SteveBrown

SteveBrown

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2004 - 01:19 AM

I'm editing this post to say the following diet is NOT healthy, without making the highly CONTROVERSIAL claim that it may cause acne.

Breakfast: jelly donuts, coffee with milk and sugar

Mid-morning snack: Candy bar, 12-ounce can of non-diet soda

Lunch: Burger with large fries, big gulp soda. Slice of French apple pie or cherry pie for dessert.

Afternoon snack: Frosted cupcakes, tall glass of milk.

Supper: Pizza, potato chips, can of non-diet soda.

Dessert: Glazed donuts.

Bedtime snack: Bowl of Cap'n Crunch cereal.

#2 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2004 - 01:34 AM

So your challenge is to basically have someone raise their cholesterol to unhealthy heights, turn their liver in to pate, clog their arteries and basically wither them to nothing by the lack of vitamins and minerals and hardly any protein?

Who has a diet even remotely similar to this?

#3 Guest_Brandon_*

Guest_Brandon_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 30 December 2004 - 05:06 AM

It's kinda lame to make such a challenge, since it's nothing but shit and probably only lardo's eat all of that...

It's hard enough for me to stay away from certain foods. I'm sooooo tempted and I feel like a smoker now. I just wanna jump on those Doritos! Damn you MSG!!!

#4 duluxdog

duluxdog

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2004 - 07:00 AM

MOW THE FUCK

#5 Corvidae

Corvidae

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2004 - 07:06 AM

Um...I don't believe there's a link between MY acne and MY diet, but I'm not going to do your challenge because, well, I don't want to die of heart disease nor become constipated, nor develop scurvy. I'll tell you what though, this Christmas I've eaten dozens of chocolates, consumed vast quantities of cake, devoured shed loads of meat and drunk plenty of beer and wine (though I'd like to point out that this is a one off Christmas thing and not how I usually eat). My skin over this period is about the same as ever. It has not made one ounce of difference. I spent a whole year once on just fruit, veg, lean meats and buckets of water. My skin was still bad the whole time and I was hungry a lot. I'm a scientist so I know how to interpret results, and let me tell you, diet does NOT affect MY acne. It might affect yours as everyone is different, I don't know, but not MINE.

#6 SteveBrown

SteveBrown

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2004 - 11:12 AM

Challenge withdrawn. I don't want anybody to kill himself or herself, just to make a point about diet and acne. I'll agree to stop asserting there is an unequivocal link between diet and acne, if others will stop asserting there is no link. I know for a fact that if my diet becomes skewed toward carbohydrates, especially high-sugar and high glycemic index carbohydrates, my now perfectly clear skin will develop a stubborn case of acne. I've learned that once it gets started, it tends to be persistent and very difficult to clear up.

#7 Doberwoman

Doberwoman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2004 - 12:04 PM

QUOTE(SteveBrown @ Dec 30 2004, 09:12 AM)
I'll agree to stop asserting there is an unequivocal link between diet and acne, if others will stop asserting there is no link.

View Post

This is what frustrates me -- I'm perfectly willing to believe that for some people, there is no link whatsoever with diet. but what pisses me off is when people assume that I might be "imagining" things when I say that there is a clear link for me. As I've said elsewhere, I'm a biomedical scientist -- I have a PhD in bioengineering -- I'm well versed in the scientific method, have a sound grasp of biochemisty, and I'm not some thicko who can't tell the difference between random coincidence and a clear correlation (my skin never just spontaneously cleared before the diet, so there wasn't anything random about it anyway). I went from having cystic acne to having clear skin just by changing my diet, nothing else. I've found other things that help as well (much more recently), but the central theme for me is diet -- control the diet and my acne stays under control.

I'd be enormously grateful if the sceptics could just give me (and others) a bit of credit for understanding of my own body, and believe me when I say that there is a clear link between diet and acne for me. I don't poo-poo the loadsa-water devotees or the B12s (or whatever it is they take) or the BP folk -- so why is diet all in my mind but your remedies are genuine?

#8 SteveBrown

SteveBrown

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2004 - 12:19 PM

Corvidae,

It is well known that people who are not susceptible to acne can eat lots of sugary foods without getting acne. They may gain weight, become susceptible to diabetes, and develop atherosclerosis, but their skin will remain clear. However, among those who are susceptible to acne, there is abundant anecdotal evidence of a link between diet and acne.

As a scientist, you can be expected to acknowledge the credibility of a statistical analysis conducted scientifically. If a hypothetical study finds that people who regularly eat donuts have a statistically 30% higher incidence of heart disease, then the scientific community would acknowledge that there is a link between eating donuts and heart disease, even though it is entirely possible that the majority of the donut eaters did not develop heart disease during the course of the study. It is only necessary that a significantly greater percentage developed heart disease than in the general population.

Judging by the anecdotal evidence cited by those afflicted by acne, both in this forum and elsewhere, it is evident that if a study were conducted, comparing the incidence of acne with dietary factors, and if the results of that study were subjected to scientific analysis, there is a good probability that a statistically significant link between diet and acne would be found. It isn't necessary that every person, or even a majority of those in the study, develop acne in response to dietary factors. It is only necessary that a statistically significant percentage do so. In my opinion, the anecdotal evidence for a link between diet and acne is a compelling reason for a large-scale, scientific study to be conducted.

That you were able to eat abundant sweets during the Christmas holiday without developing acne does not disprove a link between diet and acne. A definitive resolution of the issue can only come from a large-scale, scientific study. Moreover, whether or not such a study is conducted, the reality of my own personal experience dictates that I refrain from eating sugary foods.

#9 SteveBrown

SteveBrown

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2004 - 12:40 PM

Doberwoman,

Having a PhD in biomedical engineering, you're the only real "doctor" on this forum that I know of. It's obvious your knowledge and skills far exceed those of the petulant one -- we all know who he is -- who asserts there is no link between diet and acne, and who denigrates anyone whose opinion contradicts his dogmatic assertion. My challenge to eat donuts and gulp sodas all day was really directed at him, my way of saying put up or shut up.

I respect your knowledge and intellect, and I assure you there is no earthly reason for you to be frustrated to or feel disrespected by the shenanigans of the intellectually dysfunctional.

#10 Green_Vegetable_Man

Green_Vegetable_Man

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2004 - 07:23 PM

Diet and acne are related 100 percent.

Do not eat rubbish and your body and skin will be fine smile.gif biggrin.gif eusa_angel.gif .
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#11 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2004 - 10:17 PM

Mel, what do you say to people on very restricted diets because of disease who still have acne?

"If, after two weeks on a diet similar to the above, you do not have acne, then your assertion that there is no link between diet and acne will be credible."

*EDITED BY MODERATOR* -- your little case study would prove nothing and if someone did it and didn't have acne, would that ultimately silence you?

#12 SuzanneHopes

SuzanneHopes

Gimme Candy!!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2004 - 10:33 PM

Ben - why must you call everyone douche? sad.gif
Perhaps, if you show some respect for people and their opinions...
maybe they will show you the respect you deserve for yours.... mad.gif

#13 Guest_Brandon_*

Guest_Brandon_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 30 December 2004 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE(nodoubt @ Dec 30 2004, 08:33 PM)
Ben - why must you call everyone "douche" ...?  sad.gif
Perhaps, if you show some respect for people and their opinions...
maybe they will show you the respect you deserve for yours....  mad.gif

View Post

Oh hey, do unto others as you would have them do unto you...now there's a WILD concept, huh?

Dear Ben,

rolleyes.gif

Sincerely,
Brandon

#14 SteveBrown

SteveBrown

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 43
About Me

Posted 31 December 2004 - 12:04 AM

I wrote: "If, after two weeks on a diet similar to the above, you do not have acne, then your assertion that there is no link between diet and acne will be credible."

To clarify what I meant, if BenKweller, a young person susceptible to acne, were to go on a junk food binge for two weeks, without developing acne, that would be remarkable, and it would lend credibility to your assertion that there is no link between diet and acne, at least as it pertains to you.

QUOTE(BenKweller @ Dec 30 2004, 08:17 PM)
Don't be a douche -- your little case study would prove nothing and if someone did it and didn't have acne, would that ultimately silence you?

View Post

You're *EDITED BY MODERATOR*, always denigrating people whose opinions contradict your dogmatic assertions. You come across as a badass who thinks he's cool because you denigrate others who are much wiser and more knowledgeable than you. Your statement that the atmosphere contains 5% oxygen is typical of the misinformation you assert as fact, indicating a serious lack of education.

I already stated that I withdraw my challenge to skeptics to go on a junk food diet, because of the objections raised. You probably eat junk food anyway, and in order to justify that to yourself, you denigrate those who believe eating junk food may cause acne. It is you who ought to be silenced. I'll go on expressing my opinions as I see fit. The difference between you and me is, I'm here to help people, while you're here to pump up your ego by insulting people.

#15 nitemare

nitemare

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 December 2004 - 12:14 AM

ive been avoiding all sugar foods..not even eating 1 cookie or 1 brownie..i eat everything else-- fast food- home cooked meals, keto bars, and my acne has gone away..all gone! so far for 1 week..
so..

sugars = acne..even 1 cookie or 1 chocolate will cause a breakout..
ive tried zinc, antioxidants..still acne when eating sugars..

hopefully i found the problem..

MORNING:
Cetaphil Facial cleanser in shower
Dan's BP (1 full Finger)
Eucerin Q10 Moisturizer with 4 drops of Joba Oil Desert Essence mixed in (2 full fingers)

EVENING:
Cetaphil Facial cleanser
Dan's BP (1 full finger)
Dan's AHA (1 full finger)

#16 musicfan01

musicfan01

POST-ACCUTANE

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2004 - 12:25 AM

QUOTE(MelbourneBloke @ Dec 30 2004, 09:23 PM)
Diet and acne are related 100 percent.

doubt.gif

I believe it is safe to say everyone's body responds differently to their diet. When someone says the two are related 100% that may not be necessairly true for other people. For example, obese people. You think...ok...they must of ate a lot of 'not-so-good' food to become this way...so why don't they have acne?

My opinion on the "Diet v. Acne" case stands at the simple statement -- everyone's body is different...

mf01
MY ACCUTANE SAGA
March 25, 2005 - September 3, 2005

Photo Album
UPDATED WITH FOUR YEAR PROGRESS! January 2, 2009

#17 apple49

apple49

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2004 - 12:54 AM

I have put this in other posts.When I was in college I was strict vegan.And, not a junk food vegetarian either.I consumed no stimulants, and I ran 5 miles a day.I still had acne.I still have a pretty healthy lifestyle.For me. topicals have done what diet could not.I don't say there is no link between diet and acne for some, but there is not for me.All of know someone who lives a trash lifestyle yet has flawless skin.There is a gal who works for me who lives on the diet you describe and smokes a pack a day and drinks a 6pk of MGD most nights.Michelle is model thin with radiant skin.Genetics don't play fair. wink.gif

#18 DodoStain

DodoStain

I'm so cool.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2004 - 01:08 AM

Hmmm, that looks like what I eat every day.

#19 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2004 - 02:31 AM

1) "Your statement that the atmosphere contains 5% oxygen is typical of the misinformation you assert as fact, indicating a serious lack of education."

Never said. I said the concentration of oxygen in the air is something like 5% and I've since learned I'm wrong (though I didn't make it an argument as much as I stated a misinterpreted fact). Around the time I said that, I read an article from a newspaper that discussed some spontaneous CO2 release from a lake that killed thousands in some country and I misread a "did you know" that stated that 5% of the air (at the time of the event) was oxygen as the general fact (which would imply the atmosphere and the oxygen concentration at sea level is different). I hope I didn't traumatize you with my dumbass statement just as you didn't traumatize me with yours.

2) "You're *EDITED BY MODERATOR* on this board, always denigrating people whose opinions contradict your dogmatic assertions."

Big words for a small mind -- you used the word "denigrate" 3 times when something like "attack" could be the point across just as well.

3) "Ben - why must you call everyone "douche" ...? sad.gif"

I call people bad names when they present idiotic ideas and try to be self righteous. If he said, "I believe diet causes acne -- I went on a junkfood diet for 2 weeks and it got worse," I wouldn't have said a harsh word. But he's coming out trying to attack me (and others with reason) by saying, in other words, "Hey, dumbasses -- do this and then tell me it doesn't cause acne." I'm fine with stating opinions but he's trying to thrust his ideas on me and I don't like that.

4) "I'm here to help people, while you're here to pump up your ego by insulting people."

Bullshit. Who are you helping by saying, "I challenge you to prove it by going on a diet similar to the following?" Challenge? Yeah -- sounds like a helpful little person.

5) "ive been avoiding all sugar foods..not even eating 1 cookie or 1 brownie..i eat everything else-- fast food- home cooked meals, keto bars, and my acne has gone away..all gone! so far for 1 week.."

Very doubtful. Changed anything else? Besides your mental attitude (Which is very powerful)? Also, do you eat complex carbs? Breast milk has a bit of sugar so I'd doubt that it's common at all for sugar to cause such terrible problems in the bodies of people.

#20 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2004 - 02:34 AM

PS: Mel, you once made the claim that, "Acne is caused by deforestation." So decide -- is it caused by deforestation or bad diet (and you CAN'T cop out and say both)?