dairy

2 replies to this topic

#1 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 December 2004 - 08:50 PM

im sure this is nothing new for most of you but i thought it was worth posting.

High school dietary dairy intake and teenage acne

Clement A. Adebamowo MD, ScDa, g, , , Donna Spiegelman ScDb, c, F. William Danby MDf, A. Lindsay Frazier MDd, e, Walter C. Willett MD, DrPHa, c, e and Michelle D. Holmes MD, DrPHe

aFrom the Departments of Nutrition,
bBiostatistics, and
cEpidemiology,
dHarvard School of Public Health; Division of Pediatric Oncology, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School
eChanning Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital
gDartmouth Medical School
fthe Division of Oncology, Department of Surgery, University of Ibadan, University College Hospital.

Accepted 11 August 2004.  Boston, Massachusetts; Hanover, New Hampshire; and Ibadan, Nigeria.  Available online 2 November 2004.

Background
Previous studies suggest possible associations between Western diet and acne. We examined data from the Nurses Health Study II to retrospectively evaluate whether intakes of dairy foods during high school were associated with physician-diagnosed severe teenage acne.

Methods
We studied 47,355 women who completed questionnaires on high school diet in 1998 and physician-diagnosed severe teenage acne in 1989. We estimated the prevalence ratios and 95% confidence intervals of acne history across categories of intakes.

Results
After accounting for age, age at menarche, body mass index, and energy intake, the multivariate prevalence ratio (95% confidence intervals; P value for test of trend) of acne, comparing extreme categories of intake, were: 1.22 (1.03, 1.44; .002) for total milk; 1.12 (1.00, 1.25; .56) for whole milk; 1.16 (1.01, 1.34; .25) for low-fat milk; and 1.44 (1.21, 1.72; .003) for skim milk. Instant breakfast drink, sherbet, cottage cheese, and cream cheese were also positively associated with acne.

Conclusion
We found a positive association with acne for intake of total milk and skim milk. We hypothesize that the association with milk may be because of the presence of hormones and bioactive molecules in milk.

#2 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 December 2004 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE(flipside @ Dec 29 2004, 07:50 PM)
im sure this is nothing new for most of you but i thought it was worth posting.

View Post

Yeah I actually critiqued this study for my epidemiology class. It's not a perfect study as it is a cohort study and not an experimental study and has a few biases (i.e. physician-diagnosed severe acne is an opinion that can vary), but that's how most studies begin. They have the observations, they have some theories, and now they just need to further test these studies in a controlled setting. What I did find fascinating and I hope they test this, is that Skim Milk was the worst. In the paper they theorized that it could be due to the ADDED whey protein (skim has more protein than other milks). This is a theory that is followed in the "Evil" Lectin-Free diet. That you can consume high fat diary, but not low fat dairy as high fat dairy has less problematic proteins....go figure.
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#3 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2004 - 10:05 PM

hey sweetjade, that's cool that you critiqued this study already. i realize it just shows a correlation and not a cause/effect but the sample size is so huge that the numbers have to mean something. its strange that there was not a significant trend for whole milk or low-fat milk... maybe not enough people identified themselves for those variables. and the theory about the extra whey in the fat free milk is interesting. im glad i recently stopped with the whey protein powder, and i aslo stopped drinking the milk (fat-free) my parents buy. in fact im going all raw - all fruits, veggies, nuts, and maybe some raw egg. im also gonna supplement with primal defense and fish oil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users