Photo

Nuts & yogurt

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 Venus

Venus

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 December 2004 - 03:07 PM

Ok, I added nuts & yogurt to my everyday diet. And i've noticed that my zits have became worse since I added nuts(cashews) & yogurt to my everyday diet.

Has anyone notice a change on their skin when they eat this almost everyday. I eat my nuts without salt by the way.

#2 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 December 2004 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE(Venus @ Dec 26 2004, 02:07 PM)
Ok, I added nuts & yogurt to my everyday diet.  And i've noticed that my zits have became worse since I added nuts(cashews) & yogurt to my everyday diet.

Has anyone notice a change on their skin when they eat this almost everyday.  I eat my nuts without salt by the way.

View Post

Yup. I never used to eat nuts on a daily basis and the only nuts I would usually eat were peanuts unless it was the holidays. When I changed my diet I started adding in nuts cuz they had protein, fiber, & healthy oils & nutrients. Of course they were great to snack on and mix with dried fruit. Unfortunately daily consumption of them, even the ones that weren't TRUE nuts, like almonds, broke my skin out more stubbornly and in NEW areas!

That right there is your tip off that you are doing something different that is causing you problems. More persistant acne, different types of acne, and acne in new areas means that you've altered your diet (or skin care regime, etc) in another direction that also isn't helping you. Yogurt may also be a problem if it's not organic/naturally sweetened (vs. using corn syrup sweetners) or because it is fermented dairy (some people can't handle any dairy).

So back to nuts, Peanuts (a legume) & cashews are big ones. If you have problems with cashews, then you'll probably have problems with pistachios and maybe mangos as they are all in the same genus. This is how I eliminated nuts and certain fruits (that I found also caused problems) and I discovered that they usually were related to the nuts tha I had also eliminated. Therefore, it may not be all nuts for you, but certains ones or it could be all of them. Slowly eliminating them by groups will help you find out.

Of course another thought is that you simply have a leaky gut (too much antibiotics or NSAIDS can cause this) in which case you will have trouble digesting nuts (this may be my problem). The solution to this is eating nuts that have been soaked/sprouted in water, or eating nuts that have been grinded up such as peanut butter, almond butter, almond milk, etc. If nuts still pose problems for you, then you may want to elimninate them entirely.

Examples:

The Rose Family -
Genus Prunus – Almonds, Plums/Prunes, Cherries, Apricot, Peaches, Nectarines

Nuts
Soy nuts (legume)
Peanuts (legume)

Almonds (fruit)

Brazil nuts (seed)

Tha Cashew Family – Cashews, Pistachios, Mangos, & other types of plums

Pecans – Walnuts

I know without a doubt that the Genus Prunus cause me problems ( I held on to almonds until I had eliminated ALL other nuts and my problem didn't go away until I let them go), so I may retest some of the other nuts and see if I truly have problems with those. Meanwhile, others have found that while they can't tolerate the Cashew Family, they could at the very least almonds. See, we are all different ;-)

Best of luck
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#3 Venus

Venus

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 December 2004 - 04:20 PM

This sucks ass!! Because i'm trying to do a high protein diet.

Thanks for the info, appreciate it. biggrin.gif

#4 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 December 2004 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE(Venus @ Dec 26 2004, 03:20 PM)
This sucks ass!!  Because i'm trying to do a high protein diet. 

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.  biggrin.gif

View Post

Aww, LOL, I'm sorry to hear that but you can get protein from other sources than just nuts. You've still got legumes/beans, seeds, certain whole grains, and of course (lean) animal protein.
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#5 Venus

Venus

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 December 2004 - 04:57 PM

hahaha, I know.

ok, i think for lunch i can eat some beans & snack on some sunflower seeds better. biggrin.gif

#6 SteveBrown

SteveBrown

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 December 2004 - 07:36 PM

Cashews are so incredibly nutritious, it must be the yogurt. Dairy products are known to cause acne. I eat tons of cashews, with no ill effects. Walnuts, too. I like to have fruit, such as apples, raisins, or dates, with nuts. The carbohydrates of fruit nicely balance the protein and fat in nuts. Meals should be well-balanced, and so should snacks.

#7 Guest_Brandon_*

Guest_Brandon_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 27 December 2004 - 07:43 PM

Eliminate the yogurt frmo your daily snack, and try just eating the nuts. See how that goes for you.

#8 Polka

Polka

Snow Princess

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2004 - 10:15 PM

i doubt how peanuts and yoghurt alone would cause a noticeable change in acne unless you were eating immese levels or a high % in relation to your normal diet.

#9 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2004 - 02:39 AM

"Dairy products are known to cause acne."

No they're not. Stop propagating fear.

#10 Guest_Brandon_*

Guest_Brandon_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 31 December 2004 - 02:50 AM

Studies have shown that in some people, yes, dairy has been known to cause acne. That's all the person is saying.

#11 Polka

Polka

Snow Princess

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2004 - 12:32 PM

Well Benk, I never take sides but what Brandon said is somewhat true.

Dairy products are known to make acne worst in SOME people. Its not an ironclad assertion he makes, its more of a general statement.

In regards to the thread topic, how much yoghurt and nuts are you eating? I doubt one or two little pots a day oculd really make you breakout?

ANyway, I dunno.

#12 damnskin33

damnskin33

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2004 - 03:35 PM

DOESENT PEUNUTS HAVE SALT ON THEM??
ISNT SALT BED FOR YOUR SKIN?

JUST WONDERING

#13 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2004 - 03:55 PM

"Studies have shown that in some people, yes, dairy has been known to cause acne. That's all the person is saying."

Again -- I hear everyone saying this and some certain people posting abstracts that claim this yet, when looked up, say the links are not necessarily in existence. Feel free to show me the study, though, that concludes that dairy is a significant contributor in acne in some people-- people that are allergic to it have allergic reactions which are NOT the same thing as acne (despite looking similar).

#14 Guest_Brandon_*

Guest_Brandon_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 31 December 2004 - 04:17 PM

Just use a search engine, BenKweller. You're bound to discover something of relevance to you. Maybe, like a heart.

#15 U s e r n a m e

U s e r n a m e

Palestine & USA: my love

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2004 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE(Brandon @ Dec 31 2004, 05:17 PM)
Just use a search engine, BenKweller. You're bound to discover something of relevance to you. Maybe, like a heart.

View Post

Ha ha ha, I think BenKweller belongs to the "Emotional and psychological effects of acne" board. Poor guy... eusa_boohoo.gif
Salam!

"Beside the fire, as the wood burns black, A laughing dancer in veils of light, Whose dance transforms the darkness to gold". ---Abu Abd Allah ben Abi-l-Khisal, excerpt from The Serpent of the Nile by Buonaventura

N otable
A ffectionate
D edicated
I ntellectual
Y oung
A rticulate
H onorable

The soft tanned flesh: it curves like waves upon a sea
Undulate and moving hips,
Arabic music playing, drums beat.
Adorned in beauty from head to feet.
Family and friends...
they are all looking at me!
I hope my dancing never ends
as I set my soul free.

**Raqs Sharqi Dancer**

If you could see it then you'd understand - Coldplay

#16 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2004 - 05:36 PM

"Just use a search engine, BenKweller. You're bound to discover something of relevance to you. Maybe, like a heart."

Cop out.

"Ha ha ha, I think BenKweller belongs to the "Emotional and psychological effects of acne" board. Poor guy... eusa_boohoo.gif"

Aren't you the one who asked "Who is the All Saints?"

#17 U s e r n a m e

U s e r n a m e

Palestine & USA: my love

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2004 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE(BenKweller @ Dec 31 2004, 06:36 PM)
"Ha ha ha, I think BenKweller belongs to the "Emotional and psychological effects of acne" board. Poor guy... eusa_boohoo.gif"

Aren't you the one who asked "Who is the All Saints?"

View Post

OMG.... now how did you know that was ME? shock.gif LMFAO....
I'm just joking with you though... no hard feelings... wink.gif
Salam!

"Beside the fire, as the wood burns black, A laughing dancer in veils of light, Whose dance transforms the darkness to gold". ---Abu Abd Allah ben Abi-l-Khisal, excerpt from The Serpent of the Nile by Buonaventura

N otable
A ffectionate
D edicated
I ntellectual
Y oung
A rticulate
H onorable

The soft tanned flesh: it curves like waves upon a sea
Undulate and moving hips,
Arabic music playing, drums beat.
Adorned in beauty from head to feet.
Family and friends...