Photo

Cold weather causes acne??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 minny

minny

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2002 - 01:53 PM

I live in MN and every October or so my acne gets much worse and then it clears up when it starts getting warmer outside....like April. My skin gets so dry that I can peel off layers almost. Does anyone have any experience with this...is it the dry air that causes my acne to flare up. I was thinking about going out and buying a humidifier? Any help would be appreciated.

My bio: I had really great skin up until I graduated from college, then it all started. I've tried various prescription medications.....Cleocin-T, Tazorac, etc. and actually started seeing very positive results from the above mentioned combination this summer. But no longer because of the cold weather. :D

#2 njacobs

njacobs

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2002 - 02:41 PM

I live in the Chicago area. Cold weather is a physical stress to your skin. A light moisturizer might help protect exposed skin. If you don't have a humidifier, it is a good idea to get one. It will not only help your skin, it will help your respiratory tract. Proper indoor humidity will also eliminate much of the static electricity and shocks you get from walking across carpet. There are many types of humidifiers to choose from. I use a warm mist type. Look for one that requires very little maintenance. Cool mist models use wicking filters that need to be replaced quite often. It gets expensive. Spend a little more and get one that does not require changing filters and is maintenance free. Cheap humidity gauges can tell you how much humidity is in your house. Shoot for 35-45% humidity.

#3 minny

minny

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 October 2002 - 08:46 AM

Thanks for the advice!! I went out and bought a Warm Mist humidifier last week and have not had one break out since and my skin is much softer.

Thanks again......awesome advice!!!!!!

#4 njacobs

njacobs

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 October 2002 - 11:24 AM

Make sure that you get an inexpensive humidity gauge. If your windows start getting wet on the inside, you might need to turn down the humidifier a little bit. Remember, 35-45% should do just fine. Note: Humidifiers are usually only needed in cold climates and dry desert climates. Many homes have humidifiers built in to their furnaces. A cheaper, less effective way to add humidity to your air is by using a cast iron pot filled with water on the stovetop.

#5 jerryj20

jerryj20

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 November 2002 - 06:11 PM

I have been having the same problem, only the last 2 winters have been the worst. I started to clear up on the regimen in June, but slowly started to go back to moderate break outs, only trying more expensive products once again.
Since mid-October I'd rather stay inside when I can cause its just terriable, all my friends point out my "fields of break outs", no good :) I have yet to see a dermitologist because its pricey and I'm in the the transition of switching health care providers.
I don't have a humidifier nor know of any tips on seasonal flares of break outs. One thing I have noticed is that using BP 10% makes the bumpy redmarks the worst in the winter, but keeps the whiteheads away (which I have few of anyway, not worth the trouble). I'm back on the regimen in hopes of keeping my skin from getting worse then last year, which it has already begun to. Good luck and I hope others have more advice.

#6 Big Boss

Big Boss

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:54 AM

wow i didnt know cold air was making it worse for some people :/ mines been getting better since its winter started..

#7 kristenm09

kristenm09

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:54 PM

yeah mine always gets better in the winter too. the humidity and heat in summer breaks me out horribly, when winter comes around my skin clears up very well

#8 HelloLovve

HelloLovve

Life is a storm

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:27 AM

My derm told me that geography has a lot to do with SOME people's skin issues...I've actually considered moving for many years just so my skin wouldn't look so bad. I live in NY and my skin is always breaking out, always worse in the summer though because of the humidity, but it's so weird bc whenever I would go on vacation, whether it be NJ, SC, VA or FL, my skin clears up almost immediately.

The derm said it could be the water in my area affecting my skin (like when I take a shower), or just the air in general.

Would anyone out there consider moving bc of their skin issues? I plan on it after I graduate college in May.

My Regimen

Morning:
*Apply Olay Regenerist Micropurifying Foaming wash & use Clarisonic
(Love, love, love this thing!!)
*Estee Lauder Day Wear Moisturizer

Night:
*Olay Regenerist Micro-Purifying Foaming Cleanser
*Olay Regenerist Night Recovery Cream

Miscellaneous:
*Yaz BC *TCA Peels (15%) *Steam treatment *Psyllium Husk Caps

Current Status: Clear

#9 Boss01

Boss01

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:36 AM

For me it's the hot weather. My skin is at it's best over winter and at it's worst in the when it's hot
especially humid that really screws up my face.

#10 IWishIHadClearSkin

IWishIHadClearSkin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:51 AM

For me its in the winter time where my skin breaks out the least. Just the cool breeze
If you are reading this, then I have successfully distracted you.