glycolic acid neutralizer?

6 replies to this topic

#1 duluxdog

duluxdog

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2004 - 11:33 AM

Hello. I am planning to use a 30% glycolic acid. But from what I have read, it is necessary to use a neutralizer. I plan to buy from http://www.perfectsk...sp?idproduct=93

I read that bicarbonate of soda+water can be used to neutralize.. is this true or not? I know that some sites supply skin peels with neutralizers but those are all USA and I don't want to buy from there.

#2 some

some

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7
About Me

Posted 23 December 2004 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE(duluxdog @ Dec 23 2004, 05:33 PM)
Hello.  I am planning to use a 30% glycolic acid.  But from what I have read, it is necessary to use a neutralizer.  I plan to buy from http://www.perfectsk...sp?idproduct=93

I read that bicarbonate of soda+water can be used to neutralize.. is this true or not?  I know that some sites supply skin peels with neutralizers but those are all USA and I don't want to buy from there.

View Post

i thoght you just wash it with water ...

#3 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 December 2004 - 01:09 PM

I've also heard that baking soda is a neutralizer.
Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

#4 slim

slim

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2004 - 02:10 PM

Baking soda is a neutralizer. However, I think 30% glycolic acid is too strong for use on the face. You should get a dermatologist to give you a glycolic acid peel instead of doing it yourself ESPECIALLY IF YOU NEVER USED GLYCOLIC ACID B4.

See my post BP FREE ACID FREE SKIN CARE - ZIT FREE.

GOOD LUCK! SHAZ AKA SLIM

#5 slim

slim

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2004 - 02:20 PM

Dudlux I read info from the link you posted. When I had my glycolic acid peel my derm told me NOT to use the glycolic acid face cream and wash he had given me b4 the peel. He gave me a nowash cleanser and moisturizer from AVENE for sensitive skin, that only had 4 or 5 natural ingredients, to use on my face for 3 days prior to the peel, and the day of the peel until 3 days after. He told me to use those exactly like he said and not to wash my face.

I believe you should see a dermatologist for this because the acid can be very irritating to your skin. I had a bad reaction even with all the precautions my dermatologist took.

#6 duluxdog

duluxdog

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2004 - 04:15 PM

Thanks for the response. I have realised that I can't use peels anyway because I form hypertrophic scars.

#7 SilverStorm

SilverStorm

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2005 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE(emmanuel @ Dec 23 2004, 08:09 PM)
I've also heard that baking soda is a neutralizer.

View Post

Yeah, baking soda (also known as bicarbonate of soda) is suitable for use as a neutraliser, even recommended since it costs a couple of pence down your local supermarket. I recently did a 30% glycolic acid peel, which I bought from lookgr8.com, and they recommended using baking soda to neutralise the glycolic acid.

Neutralisation stage is EXTREMELY important when performing acid peels as this stage makes sure the acid stops working when you want it to. Glycolic acid is on the low end of the PH scale (as its an acid), and once kept on the face for the desired time you must stop it from working by using a chemical which is on the high end of the PH scale, a perfect chemical is bicarbonate of soda (as its an alkaline). The soda cancels out the acid, and therefore stops the acid causing any damage by being on your skin for too long.

Simply washing off the acid won't ensure the acid has been de-activated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users