Photo

Incredible FISH OIL results

fish oil

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#21 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:51 AM

You either convert them or you don't. Nothing you can do. As a vegan you've already limited yourself from taking the best sources of Essentail Fatty Acids so it's a crapshoot as to whether plant sources help you. There is a few large theads on this. Just look for my name or sweetjade in the threads.

Ps beatle(My name has nothing to do with animals or insects).

#22 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2004 - 03:54 PM

Vegans,
Check out Udo's oil.. and read what he says about the DHA conversion stuff.
Also, apparently there is an algae pill you can take that contains the DHA, never seen it. Just read about it.
My regimen:

Eat regularly: a wide variety of vegetables, eggs, meat/fish, cheese, yogurt, butter, fruit, nuts/seeds.

Occasionally eat: beans, squash, potatoes.

Don't eat: sugar, grains, most processed food.

#23 jalrus

jalrus

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2004 - 04:16 PM

Update:
I am having the same great resutls as i have posted before. HOnestly, oil is cut 80%. I havent gotten a new pimple since my oil dropped a week ago. Someone asked my age? Im 19. Im probuly oily just cause im still a teen basicly, hormone related. Like i said before, idont know if the cod liver is performing MIRACLES on me because it the omega 3's, the vit D, the vit A, or all of them combined. Please do try!

#24 kel

kel

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2004 - 04:16 PM

oh well i ll guess i will take the crap shot as there is no way im eating fish.
and my skin is pretty good,my acne is only ever mild.

just curious.cheers eusa_think.gif
living in uk

currently- olay senstive wipes
2.5% panoxyl gel
olay sp15 senstive

(mild persistant acne for last 12 Years
2014-currently doing not very much as no 2.5% bp!

regimnen-going well 1 yr on
duac 2nd time-skin must of got used too this due to antibiotic,as this stuff was great!
dermalogica
duac gel-clear for 6 months
1X roaccutane again
came of pill
food elimination-diet is not a factor in my acne
1x roaccutane again-doctor felt not a long enough dose before
2x retin a
1x roaccutane
1x DKR-gave up after a week-severe redness
chinese meds
regimen-stopped due to severe redness

#25 kel

kel

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2004 - 04:48 PM

Alpha-linolenic Acid is converted in the body to EPA (eiocosapentaenoic acid) usually found in marine oil and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) usually found in marine fish oil. Many factors affect the rate of conversion and one factor seems to be a high food intake of linoleic acid which is typical of vegan diets and may suppress the body's ability to convert alpha-linolenic acid to DHA. Vegans can achieve a better balance of PUFAs in their body tissues by using less sunflower, safflower and corn oils and more oils containing alpha-linoleic acid such as rapeseed (canola) oil, or soya bean and walnut oils. This would encourage their tissues to make more DHA.

Conclusions
Numerous expert committees have recommended a reduced consumption of total fat by the general population. Only vegan diets generally comply with current guidelines that fat should not contribute more than 35% of the total energy intake of adults and older children.

Saturated fats contribute to high levels of cholesterol in the blood, a risk factor for atherosclerosis and heart disease, while polyunsaturated fats (PUFAs) have the opposite effect. Vegan diets, containing no meat and dairy fats, are low in saturated fatty acids and high in beneficial PUFAs. Vegans consume considerably more of the essential PUFA linoleic acid than do omnivores, and approximately similar levels of the other essential PUFA, alpha-linolenic acid.

Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), two non-essential PUFAs, do not occur in vegan diets. The human body can convert alpha-linolenic acid into EPA and DHA but, even so some of the body tissues of vegans contain less DHA and EPA than those of other dietary groups. The consequences of this difference, if any, are not known.

get your DHA from where fish it from, sea algae. It has less mercury, PCP's etc than ANY fish as it's lower down the food chain, & it has extra phyto-nutrients & trace minerals too!
If you eat both sea algae & flax, no way you're going to have any problems with getting enough "3's".

living in uk

currently- olay senstive wipes
2.5% panoxyl gel
olay sp15 senstive

(mild persistant acne for last 12 Years
2014-currently doing not very much as no 2.5% bp!

regimnen-going well 1 yr on
duac 2nd time-skin must of got used too this due to antibiotic,as this stuff was great!
dermalogica
duac gel-clear for 6 months
1X roaccutane again
came of pill
food elimination-diet is not a factor in my acne
1x roaccutane again-doctor felt not a long enough dose before
2x retin a
1x roaccutane
1x DKR-gave up after a week-severe redness
chinese meds
regimen-stopped due to severe redness

#26 ~TEPL0~

~TEPL0~

back from the dead

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2004 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE(jalrus @ Dec 21 2004, 02:04 AM)

My oily friends, you have nothing to loose. This is not a mega dose method or even hard to follow. I just take three a day, breakfast lunch dinner. Somethime i sleep late and take two at lunch. why not try this?

View Post

lol.gif if you say so, I'll give it a shot; my acne is controlled by diet and B5, but it would be great if I could eat anything and not break out. This actually goes directly against my beliefs that sea food is bad, because it contains iodine, which gives me acne. Let's hope it works smile.gif or else I will have to kill you evil.gif mad.gif

#27 jalrus

jalrus

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2004 - 06:24 PM

haha...i dont believe theres any iodine at in cod liver gel caps. try it, its cheap and its healthy.....there really is no downside!

#28 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2004 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE(blackbirdbeatle @ Dec 21 2004, 12:33 PM)
I'd just like to clarify it more. Cod liver oil is made cheaply. Unless you cold press it or hand press it the Omega 3 fatty acids will be all but destroyed(Cod liver oil, except for that really expensive stuff is not cold pressed, hence the cheap price). Even if it says cold pressed it may just be mechanically pressed without deliberate heat but there is heat in that process and it does destroy the omegas. Also unless you keep the oil in the fridge the fatty acids will start to be destroyed right away. The Vit A and E in cod liver won't prevent this process. If you've already had the cod oil at room temp for a few weeks now don't even bother putting it in the fridge right now to try and save the poor omega 3's.  sad.gif

View Post

I believe it IS possible to protect your cod liver oil from oxidation, but you need to take a fairly active role to be sure that it remains safe and effective. I suggest the following strategy:

1) Avoid capsules of oil in general, unless you know for sure that they are protected with powerful antioxidants.

2) The Dale Alexander brand of cod liver oil (sold by TwinLab) comes in a bottle that's nitrogen-flushed at the factory, to prevent oxidation. Furthermore, it's supposed to have added antioxidants, although they don't specify on the label what those actually are.

3) The moment I open a new bottle, I immediately add 500 mg of BHT and 750 mg of ascorbyl palmitate (both available from Beyond-a-Century) and mix it thoroughly into the oil. If you're REALLY ambitious, you could even use NDGA (nordihydroguaiaretic acid), which is supposed to be the most effective fatty acid antioxidant ever discovered! It's effective in amounts as little as 0.01% (that's only one part in 10,000). Unfortunately, I don't know of a readily available place to get that stuff. I personally bought a small quantity from a chemical company. A synergistic combination of all three of those substances (BHT, NDGA, and ascorbyl palmitate) would be very effective indeed for those oils.

4) Always ALWAYS store the bottle in the refrigerator after you open it, even if the oil tends to thicken.

5) Try to use up each bottle in a fairly timely fashion. Don't let it sit around unused for long periods of time, even if it's protected with antioxidants.

Bryan

#29 Sam

Sam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 17
About Me

Posted 22 December 2004 - 06:52 PM

I tried cod liver oil tabs and it made ny acne worse,i ended up with a big cyst on my cheek.

#30 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2004 - 08:37 PM

Cod liver is good but for the love of god spend more for the good stuff. It won't have hardly any mercury and it will be made in a way to preserve the EFA's. What bryan said is all well and good but none of that helps when the EFA's are destroyed by the manufacturing process. Even if they say it's cold pressed it usually isn't. There are very few brands of fish oil and even less of cod liver that truely cold press their oils.

#31 thekid

thekid

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:55 PM

cod liver=High vit.A
Accutane=High vit.A

-Thats why there's no oil, i'm gonna try this too, this and face doctor !
Sick of this acne!

#32 Krg

Krg

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2004 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE(Sam @ Dec 23 2004, 01:52 AM)
I tried cod liver oil tabs and it made ny acne worse,i ended up with a big cyst on my cheek.

View Post

Maybe a temporary breakout. Acne is pushed out of the skin.

#33 jalrus

jalrus

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2004 - 12:52 AM

I really really doubt fish oil would cause your cyst or an initially breakout, but then again im no expert. I just took them and i think day 4, i noticed that i wasnt oily. No breakouts or anything.

#34 ~TEPL0~

~TEPL0~

back from the dead

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2004 - 01:58 AM

ok, I took it today, and my face got oily as hell; much more than usual; this better work, or you're going to die a most terrible death evil.gif send you straight to hell (where your skin will be greasy forever!) mwahahahaha

#35 Krg

Krg

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2004 - 10:27 AM

@Bryan,

September 2003
http://www.ergogenic...g/visolie4.html (Dutch)
According to Yvonne Dommels (a reseacher who has done some studies on omega3), adding a lot of antioxidants removes the protective effect of fish oil. Removing all antioxidants makes it rancid. The optimal amount of antioxidants in fishoil, requires further research.

#36 Krg

Krg

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2004 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE(bryan @ Dec 23 2004, 01:42 AM)
[...]2)  The Dale Alexander brand of cod liver oil (sold by TwinLab) comes in a bottle that's nitrogen-flushed at the factory, to prevent oxidation.  Furthermore, it's supposed to have added antioxidants, although they don't specify on the label what those actually are.[...]

View Post

http://www.lef.org/n.../item00293.html
user posted image
Calories  5
Calories from fat 5
Total fat 0.5 g
Cholesterol 10 mg
Vitamin A 1250 IU
Vitamin D 130 IU
Vitamin E 1 IU
Zinc (zinc oxide) 4 mg
EPA 33-41 mg
DHA  34-42 mg

#37 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2004 - 11:28 AM

Just to give you a persepective on Fish oil vs. COd liver oil in terms of EPA and DHA content I will compare one serving of my Health Form the Sun Liquid Fish oil and the Dale Alexander Brand.

Health From the Sun(HFTS): EPA: 850 mg
Dales: 33-41mg

HFTS: DHA: 560mg
Dales: 34-42mg

A serving if HFTS is only a teaspoon. If you take a tablspoon you would be getting about 5g of EPA and DHA a day. That's 167 capsules of Dales. Now tell me that Cod liver oil has a lot of OMega 3.

#38 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2004 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE(blackbirdbeatle @ Dec 23 2004, 10:28 AM)
Just to give you a persepective on Fish oil vs. COd liver oil in terms of EPA and DHA content I will compare one serving of my Health Form the Sun Liquid Fish oil and the Dale Alexander Brand.

Health From the Sun(HFTS): EPA: 850 mg
Dales:                                        33-41mg

HFTS:                                DHA: 560mg
Dales:                                        34-42mg

A serving if HFTS is only a teaspoon. If you take a tablspoon you would be getting about 5g of EPA and DHA a day. That's 167 capsules of Dales. Now tell me that Cod liver oil has a lot of OMega 3.

View Post

You're looking at capsules, cod liver oil capsules have low amounts for some reason, not to mention are rarely made by most brands who stick to fish oil in their capsules. Look at any bottled cod liver oil vs. fish oil and the results are comparable. A 5ml serving of http://www.vitacost....o...d liver oil
for example has almost 1g of omega 3 fatty acids which is great and comparable to fish oil.

And also, twinlab brand cod liver oils are Fortified with OxyGuard (a synergistic antioxidant mixture) and sealed free of air (nitrogen flushed) to prevent oxidation and rancidity so they should be ok and are by far the least expensive cod liver oils out there.

#39 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 December 2004 - 03:27 AM

I just want to back-up what Steve Lewis said! Yes, if you compare TEASPOON-TO-TEASPOON of fish oil and cod liver oil, the amounts of EPA and DHA are very similar.

Wow, now THAT is really an advertising executives dream: to be able to compare a TEASPOON of your own product to a single gel capsule of your competitor's product!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Bryan

#40 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 December 2004 - 04:00 AM

QUOTE(Krg @ Dec 23 2004, 11:27 AM)
@Bryan,

September 2003
http://www.ergogenic...g/visolie4.html (Dutch)
According to Yvonne Dommels (a reseacher who has done some studies on omega3), adding a lot of antioxidants removes the protective effect of fish oil. Removing all antioxidants makes it rancid. The optimal amount of antioxidants in fishoil, requires further research.

View Post

Well, I wish to God that were in English! I can't comment on what that article says, because I can't read a word of it eusa_doh.gif

I've seen remarks in the past from people who worry that "life-extender" types who take enormous quantities of powerful antioxidants _may_ actually be interfering with the normal, DESIRED oxidation processes which have to occur in our bodies. However, I would be suspicious of any claims that antioxidants added to natural oils would interfere with their eventual "burning" in our cells. I'd have to see some serious evidence for that, before I could believe it.

BTW, there IS another alternative to using such powerful antioxidants to preserve highly unsaturated natural oils like fish and cod: you could simply flush the air out of the bottle after you use it each time! There's a product that's designed for that purpose, and it's called "Private Preserve Wine Preserver" (it's intended to preserve expensive wines). You can buy it at large liquor stores. It's a spray-can containing the inert gases nitrogen, argon, and carbon dioxide (FDA/medical grade). It comes with one of those long straw-type tubes, and you simply slip the tube down inside the bottle, give it a couple of POOFS, and the inert gases displace the oxygen. You put the cap back on the bottle tightly, and you're all fixed up, with no antioxidants at all.

Bryan