Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jalrus

Incredible FISH OIL results

47 posts in this topic

My oily friends, you have nothing to loose. This is not a mega dose method or even hard to follow. I just take three a day, breakfast lunch dinner. Somethime i sleep late and take two at lunch. why not try this?

lol.gif if you say so, I'll give it a shot; my acne is controlled by diet and B5, but it would be great if I could eat anything and not break out. This actually goes directly against my beliefs that sea food is bad, because it contains iodine, which gives me acne. Let's hope it works smile.gif or else I will have to kill you evil.gifmad.gif

haha...i dont believe theres any iodine at in cod liver gel caps. try it, its cheap and its healthy.....there really is no downside!

I'd just like to clarify it more. Cod liver oil is made cheaply. Unless you cold press it or hand press it the Omega 3 fatty acids will be all but destroyed(Cod liver oil, except for that really expensive stuff is not cold pressed, hence the cheap price). Even if it says cold pressed it may just be mechanically pressed without deliberate heat but there is heat in that process and it does destroy the omegas. Also unless you keep the oil in the fridge the fatty acids will start to be destroyed right away. The Vit A and E in cod liver won't prevent this process. If you've already had the cod oil at room temp for a few weeks now don't even bother putting it in the fridge right now to try and save the poor omega 3's.  sad.gif

I believe it IS possible to protect your cod liver oil from oxidation, but you need to take a fairly active role to be sure that it remains safe and effective. I suggest the following strategy:

1) Avoid capsules of oil in general, unless you know for sure that they are protected with powerful antioxidants.

2) The Dale Alexander brand of cod liver oil (sold by TwinLab) comes in a bottle that's nitrogen-flushed at the factory, to prevent oxidation. Furthermore, it's supposed to have added antioxidants, although they don't specify on the label what those actually are.

3) The moment I open a new bottle, I immediately add 500 mg of BHT and 750 mg of ascorbyl palmitate (both available from Beyond-a-Century) and mix it thoroughly into the oil. If you're REALLY ambitious, you could even use NDGA (nordihydroguaiaretic acid), which is supposed to be the most effective fatty acid antioxidant ever discovered! It's effective in amounts as little as 0.01% (that's only one part in 10,000). Unfortunately, I don't know of a readily available place to get that stuff. I personally bought a small quantity from a chemical company. A synergistic combination of all three of those substances (BHT, NDGA, and ascorbyl palmitate) would be very effective indeed for those oils.

4) Always ALWAYS store the bottle in the refrigerator after you open it, even if the oil tends to thicken.

5) Try to use up each bottle in a fairly timely fashion. Don't let it sit around unused for long periods of time, even if it's protected with antioxidants.

Bryan

I tried cod liver oil tabs and it made ny acne worse,i ended up with a big cyst on my cheek.

Cod liver is good but for the love of god spend more for the good stuff. It won't have hardly any mercury and it will be made in a way to preserve the EFA's. What bryan said is all well and good but none of that helps when the EFA's are destroyed by the manufacturing process. Even if they say it's cold pressed it usually isn't. There are very few brands of fish oil and even less of cod liver that truely cold press their oils.

cod liver=High vit.A

Accutane=High vit.A

-Thats why there's no oil, i'm gonna try this too, this and face doctor !

Sick of this acne!

I tried cod liver oil tabs and it made ny acne worse,i ended up with a big cyst on my cheek.

Maybe a temporary breakout. Acne is pushed out of the skin.

I really really doubt fish oil would cause your cyst or an initially breakout, but then again im no expert. I just took them and i think day 4, i noticed that i wasnt oily. No breakouts or anything.

ok, I took it today, and my face got oily as hell; much more than usual; this better work, or you're going to die a most terrible death evil.gif send you straight to hell (where your skin will be greasy forever!) mwahahahaha

@Bryan,

September 2003

http://www.ergogenics.org/visolie4.html (Dutch)

According to Yvonne Dommels (a reseacher who has done some studies on omega3), adding a lot of antioxidants removes the protective effect of fish oil. Removing all antioxidants makes it rancid. The optimal amount of antioxidants in fishoil, requires further research.

[...]2)  The Dale Alexander brand of cod liver oil (sold by TwinLab) comes in a bottle that's nitrogen-flushed at the factory, to prevent oxidation.  Furthermore, it's supposed to have added antioxidants, although they don't specify on the label what those actually are.[...]

Just to give you a persepective on Fish oil vs. COd liver oil in terms of EPA and DHA content I will compare one serving of my Health Form the Sun Liquid Fish oil and the Dale Alexander Brand.

Health From the Sun(HFTS): EPA: 850 mg

Dales: 33-41mg

HFTS: DHA: 560mg

Dales: 34-42mg

A serving if HFTS is only a teaspoon. If you take a tablspoon you would be getting about 5g of EPA and DHA a day. That's 167 capsules of Dales. Now tell me that Cod liver oil has a lot of OMega 3.

Just to give you a persepective on Fish oil vs. COd liver oil in terms of EPA and DHA content I will compare one serving of my Health Form the Sun Liquid Fish oil and the Dale Alexander Brand.

Health From the Sun(HFTS): EPA: 850 mg

Dales:                                        33-41mg

HFTS:                                DHA: 560mg

Dales:                                        34-42mg

A serving if HFTS is only a teaspoon. If you take a tablspoon you would be getting about 5g of EPA and DHA a day. That's 167 capsules of Dales. Now tell me that Cod liver oil has a lot of OMega 3.

I just want to back-up what Steve Lewis said! Yes, if you compare TEASPOON-TO-TEASPOON of fish oil and cod liver oil, the amounts of EPA and DHA are very similar.

Wow, now THAT is really an advertising executives dream: to be able to compare a TEASPOON of your own product to a single gel capsule of your competitor's product!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Bryan

@Bryan,

September 2003

http://www.ergogenics.org/visolie4.html (Dutch)

According to Yvonne Dommels (a reseacher who has done some studies on omega3), adding a lot of antioxidants removes the protective effect of fish oil. Removing all antioxidants makes it rancid. The optimal amount of antioxidants in fishoil, requires further research.

Results::

I was taking cod liver oil (TwinLab) for 4 days and it did't made my skin any less oily. :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

I had bad breakout but I can't tell is it becuase cod liver oil.

I'm 18 years old and it doesnt work for me.

Results::

I was taking cod liver oil (TwinLab) for 4 days and it did't made my skin any less oily.  :-(    :-(    :-(    :-(    :-(

I had bad breakout but I can't tell is it becuase cod liver oil.

I'm 18 years old and it doesnt work for me.

ok, i ordered some of these with multivitamins as well, but im scared to take em now. Im on minocycline and the regimen, im doin great, i don't want to break out from these, you reckon i would?

How would cod liver oil compare to a beta carotene supplement? My dad takes vitamin c, vitamin e, and beta carotene everyday...upon looking at the beta carotene bottle it claims to provide up to 25,000 IU of Vitamin a upon converstion within the body. However after reading around i find that 5,000 IU is the recommended dosage of vitamin A for one day. Would it be unsafe to take beta carotene and cod liver oil at the same time? thanks smile.gif

beta carotene is only converted to A when your body needs it. If you're getting enough A the carotene will not be converted to A but you will get the other benefits of it.

For the conversion, 167 capsules of that stuff is way more than a tablespoon of oil. Maybe some of the better brands have more omega 3 but the reason why fish oil has so much more is because it's taken from other areas of the fish than the liver(This is also partly due to the fact that the liver will have the mercury and chemicals that we dump in the water and the fish takes in so they want to be more safe).

Chances are is the cod liver has sat on the shelf and is not in the fridge at the health store, the omegas in it are ruined. Also, like I said before, if you get the cheap stuff and it doesn't specifically say that it was really cold pressed than the omegas are destroyed. Doesn't matter how much antioxidants they put in it.

I agree with the person that said it's the A that's decreasing the oil. They have found that really low doses of accutane can do the same thing and this is similar.

Chances are is the cod liver has sat on the shelf and is not in the fridge at the health store, the omegas in it are ruined.