Photo

benzoyl peroxide vs. salicylic acid

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
58 replies to this topic

#1 giababy

giababy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 December 2004 - 08:00 PM

I have read more than a few articles that state the mixing of benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid products can cause skin irritation, acne or both. I discovered this the hard way. I find that benzoyl peroxide works for me. Stick to one product whether it be SA or BP. Experiment to see which works for you. If anyone is familiar with this topic, please post.

#2 Joel

Joel

coke zero = win

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 December 2004 - 10:27 PM

It is usually irritating to use both, http://acne.org/faq.html#salicylicacid

Some people do use both, in the "botchla regimen" which can be found on this forum.

#3 giababy

giababy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 December 2004 - 06:13 PM

Thanks, I haven't read acne.org that throughly yet.

#4 leet

leet

She dreams in digital....

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 103
About Me

Posted 21 December 2004 - 06:21 PM

I am gonna stick to BP from now on. stupid ass SA made me go backwards but i didnt think i needed anything as strong as BP cause i was clearing up nicely cept for those darn red marks!

#5 sridhar

sridhar

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 December 2004 - 07:03 PM

Hi,
Im using BP right now, and my moisturizer also contains Octyl Salicylate ( Banana Boat Ultra Sunblock ), a salt of SA. My results havent been that good..Is it because of the moisturizer????

eusa_eh.gif

#6 The Acne King

The Acne King

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2004 - 04:20 AM

I tried both a few months ago. I would wash my face with SA foam and then after drying, put BP on it.

It took an extremely long time before I noticed even a slight difference and after that, it did seem to get somewhat better, but I kept getting new acne all of the time. And boy was my face sure dried out from it.

Maybe that is why mine never went away before - because I used both.. I am trying just BP now just in case.

#7 rancid777

rancid777

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2004 - 09:12 AM

ahhhh, that would explain why my regimen process was quite slow. i had a moisturiser with SA in it. im still using it, maybe i should ditch it altogether.

#8 CubicCorn

CubicCorn

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:10 PM

Aw, man! That's why....

I started using this awesome cleanser- some SA and some Melaleuca in it. Worked better than ANYthing for a week, then it got WAY worse.

#9 iwanttolive

iwanttolive

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2004 - 12:05 PM

I currently use a Clean&Clear SA wash and then about 10 minutes after I apply Clearasil 10% BP. My face usually doesn't have much of a problem with it, but seeing as how it is winter, my skins seems especially dry. Sometimes I really start to think if it is working. For a couple days I will have skin that I haven't seen in quite awhile and I will be delighted...but then it just goes back to breakouts and such. Wow like a month ago I couldn't believe how nice my skin looked...and now it isn't very good again! Will it ever end!?

#10 Rebecca13

Rebecca13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2004 - 02:47 PM

SA + BP = OUCH. At least for me. A while ago I read somewhere online that it was a good idea since SA would exfoliate the skin which would then open the pores more, and then the BP could be absorbed deep into the poors. Obviously I didn't research this further and I tried it myself and it hurt badly. My face turned bright red and stung so bad. Not a good idea.

#11 genie78

genie78

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2004 - 08:42 PM

Well I used the Neutrogena Advanced Solutions with SA wash and BP and moisturizer. I like the BP and moisturizer but I think that the SA wash which contains less than 1 percent SA made me break out.

I've stopped using the SA scrub and just used the BP and moisturizer. For cleansing I just use Neutrogena's Extra Gentle Cleanser.

I noticed that I haven't broken out or anything but the large cystic zits are still there though even after repeated BP use. I'm sure that the BP did that. As they said, BP will initially cause you to break out ezpecially large zits.

I'm pretty sure that it's the BP becuase I put BP only on selected part of my face ( as an experiment ). The cysitc zits have sprouted on those slected places.

BP has done nothing for my blackheads and white heads though. I don't think I should give up on it yet. I'll continue to use it. I've been on it for more than two months now.

quote=Rebecca13,Dec 23 2004, 12:47 PM]
SA + BP = OUCH. At least for me. A while ago I read somewhere online that it was a good idea since SA would exfoliate the skin which would then open the pores more, and then the BP could be absorbed deep into the poors. Obviously I didn't research this further and I tried it myself and it hurt badly. My face turned bright red and stung so bad. Not a good idea.

View Post

[/quote]

#12 genie78

genie78

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2004 - 08:43 PM

Will mixing BP and GLycolic acid be even worse? I'm thinking of using a moisturizer with Glyclolic acid in it. Do you think it's going to be a bad idea?

#13 happyman7

happyman7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 December 2004 - 11:27 PM

Ok, so heres how it lays out for me. I use Dans 2.5%BP day and night. I use the 2.5% on my cheeks and forehead. I use 10% BP on my nose, chn, and between my lip and nose. I also use SA in the places I use 10%BP. Thats just a 1% SA though. On top of that I am washing with a sulfur cleansing bar. To many chemicals? I dont think so. I have really oily skin and am actually thinking about dropping the SA 1% and adding a sulfur mask and going to the SA wash everyday. Oily skin alows you to do a lot and experiment. It has its down size too. Pax

#14 Pika

Pika

boobs

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 December 2004 - 11:40 PM

i and many other people have had success with botchlas regimen that consists of sa and bp.. why is that?

#15 Kentucky RN

Kentucky RN

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2004 - 11:21 PM

Hi guys, I'm so glad everyone is discussing SA vs glycolic. I've had acne for 16 years and the bp + eucerin lactic acid + lots of plain neutrogena moisturizer is the only regimen that has worked consistently at all. The problem is that this just isn't enough to clear like all of you guys said, the blackheads, and superficial acne (plus i still get smaller breakouts). So to let everyone know, glycolic acid is terrible! It will get you hooked at first but over time it only drys and irritates, even when used by itself. I resently talked with an RN skin consultant who told me that most people do reach a plateau on it.
I've also not had good luck with SA in the past, which worked great at first and then broke me out constantly.
*****But now i'm reusing it and realizing that i was drying the hell out of my skin causing it to break out. I only use bp in the morning, not at night, and I'm using the 0.5% SA Oxy for sensitive skin pads 2x/day, with the Eucerin (oilfree kind with lactic acid), and lots of moisturizer! It's working great so far (1 month)! I don't think I need bp 2x/day anymore, i've been on it for about 1 year. I feel like the bp is scarring up my skin and not doing everything i need.

So try this guys and girls:

Morning: Wash (mild cleanser), SA .5% pad, bp, Eucerin, lots of plain moisturizer (i love the neutrogena oil free, it has petroleum to really seal in the water) let it just sit on your face and soak in for 10-15 minutes

Night: Wash, SA, Eucerin, lots of moisterizer

I have found that I don't pick at my skin anymore because the superficial acne is so much better, and not picking is helping too! I'll keep you posted if this starts to fail.

My next product adventure is Copper Peptide for scars, oilfree, anyone with any experience???? eusa_dance.gif

#16 apriliarsv

apriliarsv

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 January 2005 - 02:23 AM

QUOTE(genie78 @ Dec 24 2004, 10:43 AM)
Will mixing BP and GLycolic acid be even worse? I'm thinking of using a moisturizer with Glyclolic acid in it. Do you think it's going to be a bad idea?

View Post

My cleanser contains glycolic acid and i put on a moisturiser which contains glycolic acid in the NIGHT too. I do use benzamycin for morning n night before putting on the moisturiser and i think it's doing well. Just make sure u wait 15-30 mins before every step.

#17 genie78

genie78

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 January 2005 - 10:24 AM

I haven't been using any other products now except a gentle cleanser and some BP. I think I'm going to stop using BP since when I applied it to a zit some days ago, the area darkened. It's like the area has been burned or something. I've been using PanOxyl BP at a 2.5 concentration. I don't know why this BP is acting this way. I've tried other BP products also at 2.5 percent concentration but it never did anything like this. I don't know but I think I'm just too sensitive to BP or just to this particular brand. Frankly, I'm tired of putting BP on. I'm quitting.

#18 Leopardskinny

Leopardskinny

leopardskinny

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2005 - 01:52 PM

Finally!!! That is why the regimen actuially made my skin WORSE! The peeling was so bad that people openly asked me what the hell was wrong with my face! As i live in scotland and didn't have the products dan reccomended available to me, i thot oh well, anything that claims to help get rid of spots and be mild at the same time...... well boy was i wrong! NEVER EVER USE LOREAL PUREZONE PRODUCTS in conjunction with the regimen! Use a mild face wash- any one will do, and i find that clean n clears dual action oil free moistureizer is the best! NOw i am just so anoyed that i spend so much time following the reguimen with bloody salictyic acid- and now i am stuck with the face wash and mousturizer..............oh well.......

#19 eclipse314

eclipse314

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2005 - 02:07 PM

right now i'm just fighting this one pimple/cyst on my nose... yes just this one. i don't have acne anywhere on my face at all, but sometimes i get these one pimple deals on my nose. anyways, i've been using st. ives medicated scrub at night (which has SA), then applying BP after before bed. then in the morning, i use st. ives apricot scrub (the one with no SA) then putting on more BP+make up for the day. is this helping or am i just makeing the pimple worse?

#20 19yochickfightingacne4toolong

19yochickfightingacne4toolong

Sexiest Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2005 - 05:45 PM

Using the two together has given me excellent results.
Maybe its not for everyone, but wow, has it ever made a difference in my skin. I'm mostly dealing with marks right now.....I used to have more than 10 medium-large zits on my face, including small zits and clogged pores on any given day.

No more though thanks to a BP cleanser, SA astringent, and spot treating with BP at night. Also ACV has helped too.