Photo

Problems with my new diet..help, please!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 darlingclementine

darlingclementine

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 December 2004 - 01:06 PM

So, I've basically been eating a raw fruit, mostly raw veggie diet, with lean meat, such as chicken, once a day. I've excluded high GI foods, like breads, potatoes, rice, etc. And, I was happy with it. Except, recently (I've been eating like this for two weeks) I've been having problems with my stomach. I have diarrhea, cramps, and the days when I don't have diarrhea, my stool is loose. I really think this is because I've been eating soooo many raw fruits/veggies (I typically have 3-4 apples a day, lots of carrots, salads, raw broccoli, semi-cooked spinach): I'm afraid that if I fully cook my carrots and broccoli that they will lose their nutritional value- apparently, a high-fiber diet leads to diarrhea. Has anyone else had this problem? What about introducing rice and potato into my daily diet? I think I read somewhere (I believe SweetJade wrote about this) have amylose (?) starch in them making them better..? I don't know.

If anyone has annnnny advice/insight it would be sooo appreciated!

#2 Darklord

Darklord

Chances are, i hate you

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 December 2004 - 01:18 PM

I eat things like quinoa which is like a grain and it is really nice. If you look around you can find great things like gluten free/wheat free pasta etc.
I know though i had these problems at the start but after introducing different foods again i was fine.
Stick too it.

Tom biggrin.gif

#3 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 December 2004 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE(darlingclementine @ Dec 19 2004, 12:06 PM)
So, I've basically been eating a raw fruit, mostly raw veggie diet, with lean meat, such as chicken, once a day.  I've excluded high GI foods, like breads, potatoes, rice, etc.  And, I was happy with it.  Except, recently (I've been eating like this for two weeks) I've been having problems with my stomach.  I have diarrhea, cramps, and the days when I don't have diarrhea, my stool is loose.  I really think this is because I've been eating soooo many raw fruits/veggies (I typically have 3-4 apples a day, lots of carrots, salads, raw broccoli, semi-cooked spinach): I'm afraid that if I fully cook my carrots and broccoli that they will lose their nutritional value- apparently, a high-fiber diet leads to diarrhea.  Has anyone else had this problem? What about introducing rice and potato into my daily diet? I think I read somewhere (I believe SweetJade wrote about this) have amylose (?) starch in them making them better..? I don't know. 

View Post

Hmm, I'm on a similar diet and I feel great. I used to have diarrhea BEFORE changing to this diet but now my craps are very satisfying and meaty <_<. Anyway, as far as cooking veggies goes, I recommend you get a steamer. How do you prepare your chicken? Steaming is by far the healthiest method for veggies and lean meats. Steaming has been proven to be the most efficient cooking method and results in the least amount of nutrients lost.

http://www.blackandd.....?T1=APP HS900

I use this one and it's fantastic. I use it daily and the foods taste delicious, the chicken is so moist. It takes longer to cook(30 minutes for chicken breast) but it's worth it. You can also use it to steam rice(I recommend eating long grain brown rice, it has the lowest GI index of them all, I eat lundberg long grain brown rice once or twice a week). I also eat beans once a week or so, those I boil, they provide a good amount of fiber and are very nutritious.

My diet is similar to yours except I don't eat brocolli at all. I eat chicken breast, almonds, brazil nuts, flax seeds. For fruits I eat 3-5 apples a day(Granny smith is my favorite), blackberries, raspberries, kiwi fruit, papaya, grapefruit, pomegranate, and at times oranges. For veggies, I eat raw/steamed baby spinach, romaine lettuce, steamed brussel sprouts and sometimes raw carrots. I eat about two servings(large bowl of it is a serving) of lettuce, one of spinach, carrots I limit to one cup of baby carrots every two days or so, and brussel sprouts, I usually have daily.

I space out my meals and water too, never drinking with my meals as it lowers the absorbtion of nutrients. I space them out every two hours. I'll eat breakfast at 9, drink a liter of water and some tea with raw honey at 11, eat at 1, drink at 3 and so on. I usually eat three large meals a day and that's it, no snacking or anything. I make sure I'm full after my meals and I never eat after 730 p.m.

As for drinks, I drink only water(2-3L a day) and tea(white, or rooibos) with RAW honey and some lemon juice. I use the baking soda method. I was taking antibiotics but I stopped weeks ago and my acne has never looked better. I used to have cystic acne but now all that's left are red spots which will take some time to fade. I also feel a lot better overall, I used to get constant pains in my chest, headaches, be badly stuffed up, used to get colds all the time but now all those are gone.

If you have any questions, send me a pm. I understand that this diet won't work for everyone but it's worked for me and greatly improved my health so I'm sticking with it. The other foods just aren't worth it anyways, the things I eat are perfectly delicious and I don't miss all those sugary or refined foods at all.

#4 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 December 2004 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE(darlingclementine @ Dec 19 2004, 12:06 PM)
So, I've basically been eating a raw fruit, mostly raw veggie diet, with lean meat, such as chicken, once a day.  I've excluded high GI foods, like breads, potatoes, rice, etc.  And, I was happy with it.  Except, recently (I've been eating like this for two weeks) I've been having problems with my stomach.  I have diarrhea, cramps, and the days when I don't have diarrhea, my stool is loose.  I really think this is because I've been eating soooo many raw fruits/veggies (I typically have 3-4 apples a day, lots of carrots, salads, raw broccoli, semi-cooked spinach): I'm afraid that if I fully cook my carrots and broccoli that they will lose their nutritional value- apparently, a high-fiber diet leads to diarrhea.  Has anyone else had this problem? What about introducing rice and potato into my daily diet? I think I read somewhere (I believe SweetJade wrote about this) have amylose (?) starch in them making them better..? I don't know. 

View Post

Hmm, I'm tempted to say it's either an adjustment period or you are probably not getting enough fiber. I know for me, I reduced my insoluble fiber by dropping Wheat/Gluten and managed to replace it with more soluble fiber (benefiber) and the stomach problems went away. I recently had to eliminate almonds (all nuts) a few months back and BAM had the problems again, and so I had to quickly start consuming more vegetables (cabbage, greens, brocolli, cauliflower etc) and whole grain/brown rice to balance things again. Thats how my diet differs from yours, as I was, and still am, eating more insoluble fiber from gluten-free grains. So it may very well be that you need to eat more whole gluten-free grains. If you are hesitant to try that, increase you nut, seed, & legume intake as these are also good sources of insoluble fiber and make great snacks. Just take note of what you are increasing consumption of, as some people can have problems with certain nuts & legumes.

Now, what exactly do you mean by "I was happy with it" ? ;-)

Take care

P.S. Also, some people aren't tolerate to raw or steamed vegetables. Like cabbage & leafy greens cooked a certain way can cause people problems, so you may want to experiment with cooking methods and see if you notice a difference.

#5 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 December 2004 - 08:13 PM

I agree -- add some grains. Despite what Atkins-crazed idiots might think, carbs are NOT EVIL!

#6 Funk

Funk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2004 - 03:52 PM

Hmm fiber should actually make your digestive system work much much better...the more fiber you eat the less you are likely to have digestive problems!

Make sure you ar getting both types of fiber in your diet...Insoluble(grains and vegis) and Soluble (fruits, oats, beans, peas...)

It sounds like you are eating a lot of vegies but no brans and such...add the potatos to your diet (potatoes w/with skin). Also wheaties or total cereal or raisin bran. Also Granolas, oatmeal, rice, and wheat or rye bread.

Fruits are also essential.
Eat some figs, pears, bananas, appples with a peel.

Also, try to drink the 16 oz bottle of V8 veg juice...this has so much fiber in it and really helps!

#7 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2004 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE(Funk @ Dec 23 2004, 02:52 PM)
Hmm fiber should actually make your digestive system work much much better...the more fiber you eat the less you are likely to have digestive problems!

Make sure you ar getting both types of fiber in your diet...Insoluble(grains and vegis) and Soluble (fruits, oats, beans, peas...)

It sounds like you are eating a lot of vegies but no brans and such...add the potatos to your diet (potatoes w/with skin). Also wheaties or total cereal or raisin bran. Also Granolas, oatmeal, rice, and wheat or rye bread.

Fruits are also essential.
Eat some figs, pears, bananas, appples with a peel.

Also, try to drink the 16 oz bottle of V8 veg juice...this has so much fiber in it and really helps!

View Post

Did you not read her post? She's on a low GI diet so most of those foods are out of the question. And as far as V8 having "so much fiber"....it doesn't, A 16oz. bottle has 4g of fiber, not to mention a good amount of sugar and a crapload of sodium. You're better off just eating an apple for the same amount of fiber.

#8 Polka

Polka

Snow Princess

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 December 2004 - 11:20 AM

its most likely due to the suddent change in diet, your system adjusts.

High fibre can infact cause constipation or diarrhoea, it depends.

Try some cooked food and see if it gets better.

#9 Funk

Funk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2004 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE(SteveLewis @ Dec 23 2004, 02:13 PM)
Did you not read her post? She's on a low GI diet so most of those foods are out of the question. And as far as V8 having "so much fiber"....it doesn't, A 16oz. bottle has 4g of fiber, not to mention a good amount of sugar and a crapload of sodium. You're better off just eating an apple for the same amount of fiber.

View Post

Relax anus hole...

I mentioned the apple with skin

And In my Oppinion V8 is great, my husband and I drink a small bottle every day but only the veg juice. Its loaded with vegies and ya it has a lot of sodium in it but your getting your daily intake of vegis plus some. I have been drinking for months now and I havent gained any weight.

Peace