Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shiz

I urge you to get your hormone levels tested

34 posts in this topic

Acne can be caused hormonal imbalances. When you change your diet, you are changing one of the most powerful hormones in your body, insulin. This is why diet works for some people.

Steroidal medications like hydrocortisone (common in skin creams), cortisone, prednisone, birth control, thyroid drugs, and asthma drugs can cause all kinds of hormonal changes. Long-term use of low doses and any use of high doses can cause permanent changes. If you have ever been on any of these kinds of drugs, I strongly urge you to look into the hormone connection.

Some people are born with defects that imbalance their hormones. There are all kinds of diseases like PCOS, Addison's and Cushing's that change hormonal levels. These diseases can cause acne and many people have no idea they have them until they get tested.

Talk to your doctor or an endocrinologist (a doctor specializing in hormones) and get a blood test for a full hormone workup, getting all or your hormone levels tested. If there are imbalances, hormone replacement therapy may be suggested.

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH HORMONE REPLACEMENT THERAPY. The best way to make sure you are getting good advice is to research your doctor and make sure they know what they are talking about. Research what your imbalances are on the internet and pay very careful attention to the credibility of your sources. If you want to be absolutely sure hormone replacement therapy is the right thing, search for an expert, preferably an endocronologist and talk with them. Make sure they've had successful results with past patients similar to yourself.

Yes, this is a lot of work. Yes, it's worth it. Hormones are incredibly powerful and can make all kinds of changes in our body. Even if you are skeptical, I highly recommend getting your hormone levels tested just to make sure. If you don't, you could suffer all your life without knowing the true source of the problem. And if hormones are the problem, some forms of therapy can offer a permanent solution by stimulating your body to start producing the right hormones on its on again.

Most people who have acne don't have hormones disorders unless puberty is a disorder.

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)

* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)

* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

* Strengthen/Repair GI - Immune health

Research:

* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).

* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

yeh, no offense but we are reaching the stage where we are looking at the obscure reasons and not the main points.

I doubt hormones simply alone is enough of a factor. Acne like a lot of things has MILLIONS OF CONTRIBUTING FACTORS. You can't reduce it down to just 'hormones'. Hormones change all the time.

we are getting paranoid. You are saying we must check for hormone balances or suffer unknowingly for the rest of our lives?

Bah- sory to criticise but its what I think.

Obviously, you don't understand how acne is formed then.

Yes supposedly 10% of acne sufferers have hormonal imbalances (how many of that 10% are on this board?). While the other 90% are just "sensitive to normal androgen levels." Yet, that same 90% isn't really just sensitive, their skin androgen receptors actually respond by producing MORE DHT in the skin than normal. As such, that means that most chronic acne sufferers, on some level, have a hormonal imbalance, whether it is purely in the skin or throughout the blood stream.

I will not post anything for you. This is your life, if you are happy with what works (or doesn't work for you) than so be it. Yet, making statements like this is why people get really upset with you Ben. I can forgive the 12 year olds that don't know any better, but you should. You make comments that takes what a poster wrote and shoots it down to nothing. Now some poor kid is sitting here reading this thread wondering, "do I or don't I have a hormonal imbalance? Well Ben says most acne sufferers don't, therefore, that MUST mean me. Thus, I don't either" Now that poor kid could very well end up suffering for 10, 20, or more years before they realize that they did have a hormonal imbalance.

You can do or say whatever you want about anything that you personally KNOW about, but when it comes to this....this IS my life. This is what I LIVED, am still living, and had the doctors spoken up sooner, I would have been a lot better off!

Furthermore, saying that it's just a "hormonal imbalance" doesn't cut it because when one is going through puberty, it's a given, yet if anyone hits puberty before or at the age of 8, they should question as to why.

If anyone has been suffering with SEVERE chronic acne for 5, 10, 20 or more years, they should wonder why.

If they have other signs of a hormonal imbalance (menstrual problems, excess hair growth, hair loss, wieght gain/loss, etc) then they should see a doctor that's known as an endocrinologist .

While it's VERY obvious for most females when we have a hormonal imbalance, it's usually not as obvious for males. For males the most obvious signs of a hormonal imbalance, dealing with androgens, will be chronic acne. So any male that has beens suffering and NOTHING is working to permanently decrease/stop breakouts, maybe you guys should look more into this.

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)

* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)

* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).

* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

While I'm sure that concrete bag of a post was intelligent and meaningful...

I won't argue someone throwing out 3000 articles pertaining to pubic hair development by stating logic because you don't seem to like that; it's much more fun to look into something deeper than it is. From my skimming, all of your beloved case studies take cases of no more than a few hundred and use their results to state a claim. You also don't include the conclusions of such papers which is telling as I've read many a term paper that makes bold statements in the initial bodies, counterarguments, and then a conclusion that could support either. In other words -- you can't take out one piece of a huge paper and claim it is the representation of the whole thing.

When it comes down to it, though, my issue with you (and this topic) is that you seem to make it a goal to scare people into thinking something is drastically and terribly wrong with them because they have acne. I sneezed yesterday-- 3 times! While some may think it's a cold, I think I'll look into how development of mucus in the throat can lead to cases of metabolic shock, hyperglycemia, and Parkinson's disease. It's as simple as that -- let's try to look for things pertaining to the general population; not to the fearful teenagers who visit this forum in search of what candy they can't eat.

While I'm sure that concrete bag of a post was intelligent and meaningful...

I won't argue someone throwing out 3000 articles pertaining to pubic hair development by stating logic because you don't seem to like that; it's much more fun to look into something deeper than it is. From my skimming, all of your beloved case studies take cases of no more than a few hundred and use their results to state a claim. You also don't include the conclusions of such papers which is telling as I've read many a term paper that makes bold statements in the initial bodies, counterarguments, and then a conclusion that could support either. In other words -- you can't take out one piece of a huge paper and claim it is the representation of the whole thing.

When it comes down to it, though, my issue with you (and this topic) is that you seem to make it a goal to scare people into thinking something is drastically and terribly wrong with them because they have acne. I sneezed yesterday-- 3 times! While some may think it's a cold, I think I'll look into how development of mucus in the throat can lead to cases of metabolic shock, hyperglycemia, and Parkinson's disease. It's as simple as that -- let's try to look for things pertaining to the general population; not to the fearful teenagers who visit this forum in search of what candy they can't eat.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

Actually, I was diagnosed with a hormone disorder. And taking anti-androgens completely cured my acne. Unfortunately, I had to stop taking them due to unpleasant side effects and the acne came back worse than before (until I went back to the diet I was following pre-anti-androgen therapy, and then my skin cleared again).

My endocrinologist feels that women with moderate to severe acne are very likely to have some form of hormone disorder. I have no idea if he's correct (I think doctors get lots of things wrong), or if this applies to men as well.

Yes supposedly 10% of acne sufferers have hormonal imbalances (how many of that 10% are on this board?).  While the other 90% are just "sensitive to normal androgen levels."  Yet, that same 90% isn't really just sensitive, their skin androgen receptors actually respond by producing MORE DHT in the skin than normal.

Well I totally agree with benkweller. The wya you go about your posts would make a young person totally paranoid, that they have some chronic illness which is probably unlikely.

Here are my points

1)Hormones alone cannot cause acne. There are multiple causes and aggravations

2)Anyone can find a bunch of random obscure stuides on the net, there are always conflicting studies which I guess you didn't bother to include

3) Studies only show a correlation. Because of the slippery nature of acne, no study can EVER make a direct 100% causal link. Until you can make a firm direct establishment or a more convinscing study I won't take much notice.

4)Many people who have 'hormonal imbalances' as you call it don't have acne. So tell me why some of us do get acne because of it?

Okay well there are my points,

good day all

Well I totally agree with benkweller. The wya you go about your posts would make a young person totally paranoid, that they have some chronic illness which is probably unlikely.

Here are my points

1)Hormones alone cannot cause acne. There are multiple causes and aggravations

2)Anyone can find a bunch of random obscure stuides on the net, there are always conflicting studies which I guess you didn't bother to include

3) Studies only show a correlation. Because of the slippery nature of acne, no study can EVER make a direct 100% causal link. Until you can make a firm direct establishment or a more convinscing study I won't take much notice.

4)Many people who have 'hormonal imbalances' as you call it  don't have acne. So tell me why some of us do get acne because of it?

Okay well there are my points,

good day all

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

do you know if ortho tri cyclen has anything to do with balancing hormones for women? i know it delivers the hormone progestin and estrogen. some people say that they cleared up just by going on the pill, and my face seemed to get even worse, but that could be my imagination.

haha, thats a cool doggy drawing!

Well sweetjade, I see what you're getting at now. I was more critical of he original post for the same reasons benkweller mentioned.

I could come up with some counterarguments gaain but I'm tired. The info you give is interesting and I'm sure many wil benefit from it.

Ciao

haha, thats a cool doggy drawing!

Well sweetjade, I see what you're getting at now. I was more critical of he original post for the same reasons benkweller mentioned.

I could come up with some counterarguments gaain but I'm tired. The info you give is interesting and I'm sure many wil benefit from it.

Ciao

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

do you know if ortho tri cyclen has anything to do with balancing hormones for women? i know it delivers the hormone progestin and estrogen. some people say that they cleared up just by going on the pill, and my face seemed to get even worse, but that could be my imagination.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

"Most people who have acne don't have hormones disorders unless puberty is a disorder."

That's my quote. I never said people don't have hormone imbalances -- there IS a difference, if you didn't know. Hormone imbalances are quite normal in different stages of life and one could argue the disorder would be if they never happened. Honestly -- my issue isn't, "Oh god, what a dumbass she is," as much as you are posting unrelated and unlinked studies in hopes of creating a big picture. It doesn't work that way. Studies often study one thing, say the good effect of oranges on the kidneys and then another like the bad effect of kidneys on the heart. This doesn't create a link. Associative evidence (like the hormone studies that in one word mention acne as a possible side effect of a disorder) is not evidence. And if you truly believe PubMD or whatever site you mentioned doesn't have conflicting studies, I'd learn to read faster; that's a ludicrous statement.

Again -- I'd still like for you to try creating a counterargument to your own opinion just for fun; maybe you'd find that the studies you cite really aren't all that convincing. I'm not here in this case looking for the ultimate answer of hormones and acne (they never affected mine too much)-- I simply am picking apart your argument as it is based on shakey ground.

There are really only two opinions you should have to worry about:

1. Getting your hormones tested is worth it.

2. Getting your hormones tested is not worth it.

My take? Get the test.

It is relatively inexpensive especially if you have insurance. Whether or not you agree with Ben or with SweetJade, you'll know for sure if you have a problem. And if you're one of the people in which hormones are a problem, you'll be very grateful you finally figured it out. If you're not, no big deal, now you can move on to other treatment options without worrying about having a hormone problem.

awesome. i have insurance, and my bc prescription is running out and i'm going to have to go to the doctor soon anyway to get re-tested. i'll ask about a hormone test. thanks for this info. smile.gif

My doctor is not willing to give me a referral to an endocrinologist. She acts like the referrals are coming out of her PAYCHECK or something. rolleyes.gif She says we can handle it in her office but I'm not satisfied with the level of care. I think the tests she gives me are not the right ones. eusa_wall.gif

There are really only two opinions you should have to worry about:

1. Getting your hormones tested is worth it.

2. Getting your hormones tested is not worth it.

My take? Get the test.

It is relatively inexpensive especially if you have insurance. Whether or not you agree with Ben or with SweetJade, you'll know for sure if you have a problem. And if you're one of the people in which hormones are a problem, you'll be very grateful you finally figured it out. If you're not, no big deal, now you can move on to other treatment options without worrying about having a hormone problem.