Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VINEGAR against insulin resistance?? Hmm...

29 posts in this topic

I was intrigued by the new thread somebody started recently which cited the study in which milk was found to increase insulin very significantly in young boys. That's very worrisome to me, if it's true for eveyone in general.

Here's a scan of another fascinating study in a recent issue of a diabetes journal (I post on so many different forums, sometimes I forget WHAT I've posted WHERE...my apologies if I've already posted this link here on this site) which found that 20 grams of apple cider vinegar prior to a high-carb meal increased insulin sensitivity. Notice the statement near the very end where they say that vinegar _may_ have an effect similar to metformin (Glucophage):

http://www.geocities.com/bryan50001/vinegar_insulin.htm

Bryan

My issue with the milk study was that it basically gave 8 year old boys a large amount of milk for only 7 days and took levels; researchers don't know if insulin-resistance subsides after that. That and the changes that occur in puberty to the metabolic processes make me question that study.

I still don't understand, though, what insulin resistance has to do with acne. If someone can sum it up (without a 10 pg. post linking to med pages), I'd love it; I just need a dummies guide.

I still don't understand, though, what insulin resistance has to do with acne. If someone can sum it up (without a 10 pg. post linking to med pages), I'd love it; I just need a dummies guide.

The connection between insulin resistance and acne, dummies guide, as I understand it, is this:

if you are insulin resistant, you need to produce the same amount of insulin to maintain your blood sugar levels at normal -- this leads to hyperinsulinaemia (high levels of insulin in the blood). High levels of insulin are believed to be linked with high levels of androgen. Androgens are directly implicated in the development of acne. Hey presto.

i dont get it. so is the acv good or bad to drink. haha i dont understand all the insulin stuff. is insulin good or bad?? nebody clear this up for me. i drink acv once in awhile cuz it helps my digestion but it tastes like shit but if its better for me than i thought than i might drink it more often.

I do know this, it's rotton for your teeth, so is drinking lemon water. Of course if you chew gum of drink a glass of normal water after it would be fine.

hi..i'm insulin resistant and when i was first diagnosed with it..the only reason my doctor suspected there was something wrong with me was because I developped acne for the first time in my life(I was 18)...because my insulin just sit around in my blood stream and is not absorbed properly it screws up all my other hormone levels..including androgens etc..which causes more acne..but i've gotten my hormones under control thanks to diet and exercise(weight lfting is great for insulin resistance) but i get acne aroudn my period and when i'm stressed..so ya..there is a connection btwn insulin resistance and acne..i'm living proof.

it's all one big cuneiform tablet to me!!

Hmmm... I don't buy it. Too many "linked tos" that would, more likely than not, be partitioned out too much to make a difference.

My main "linked to" stretch is the number of people that are insulin resistant. What are symptoms of the disease? Is it similar to diabetes with obesity being the biggest factor?

My main "linked to" stretch is the number of people that are insulin resistant. What are symptoms of the disease? Is it similar to diabetes with obesity being the biggest factor?

Good post Doberwoman. Although i agree that diet isnt 100% responsible for acne. I still hate that some people are in denial and refuse to see certain things even if you place hard facts in front of them.

I dont know if insulin/IGF makes skin cells stickier, but i think that because they are hormones, they promote the cells to grow faster and shed more. This way our pores get clogged faster, creating more acne.

"Well, according to this publication, 16% of white people are insulin resistant (I assume they mean in the US). Blacks and Native Americans have a higher incidence, but I don't know about Asians.

"

Well my problem, then, is that if 16% of white people are insulin resistant yet this takes into account that most of them are older people... I don't know many elderly men with acne and, as such, would think any insulin connection to acne would be very very low statistically (much less than 10% even).

"Well, according to this publication, 16% of white people are insulin resistant (I assume they mean in the US). Blacks and Native Americans have a higher incidence, but I don't know about Asians.

"

Well my problem, then, is that if 16% of white people are insulin resistant yet this takes into account that most of them are older people... I don't know many elderly men with acne and, as such, would think any insulin connection to acne would be very very low statistically (much less than 10% even).

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)

* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)

* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

* Strengthen/Repair GI - Immune health

Research:

* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).

* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

"Another note, IR can be caused by lack of exercise, lack of sleep, lack of dietary fiber, TOO MUCH (refined) carbohydrates/gluten,"

I thought I heard a study that said that intake of sugar isn't linked to diabetes. Does this still apply?

"Another note, IR can be caused by lack of exercise, lack of sleep, lack of dietary fiber, TOO MUCH (refined) carbohydrates/gluten,"

I thought I heard a study that said that intake of sugar isn't linked to diabetes.  Does this still apply?

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)

* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)

* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).

* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

http://members.kaiserpermanente.org/kpweb/...mans_story.html

That site makes mention of it. I'm trying to track down the actual case file -- gimme a bit.

Also...

"MYTH: Sugar causes diabetes

About 20 years ago, scientists debunked this myth. But, many still believe sugar causes diabetes. In diabetes, the body can't use sugar normally. And the causes are complex and are yet to be fully known. Genetics play a role, but illness, obesity or simply getting older also may trigger diabetes.

Diet is part of the strategy to manage diabetes--although diet does not cause diabetes--along with physical activity and perhaps medication. In the past, people with diabetes were warned to avoid or strictly limit sugar in their food choices. Today, experts recognize that sugars and starches have similar effects on blood sugar levels. The amount of carbohydrate, not the source, is the issue for people with diabetes.

Moderate amounts of sugar can be part of a well-balanced diet for people with diabetes, according to the American Diabetes Association. If you have diabetes, a registered dietitian can help plan and monitor your diet. "

http://members.kaiserpermanente.org/kpweb/...mans_story.html

That site makes mention of it. I'm trying to track down the actual case file -- gimme a bit.

Also...

"MYTH: Sugar causes diabetes

About 20 years ago, scientists debunked this myth. But, many still believe sugar causes diabetes. In diabetes, the body can't use sugar normally. And the causes are complex and are yet to be fully known. Genetics play a role, but illness, obesity or simply getting older also may trigger diabetes.

Diet is part of the strategy to manage diabetes--although diet does not cause diabetes--along with physical activity and perhaps medication. In the past, people with diabetes were warned to avoid or strictly limit sugar in their food choices. Today, experts recognize that sugars and starches have similar effects on blood sugar levels. The amount of carbohydrate, not the source, is the issue for people with diabetes.

Moderate amounts of sugar can be part of a well-balanced diet for people with diabetes, according to the American Diabetes Association. If you have diabetes, a registered dietitian can help plan and monitor your diet. "

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

I think the point of the article is that high sugar intake doesn't cause diabetes... The biggest factor for it is undoubtedly obesity.

I think the point of the article is that high sugar intake doesn't cause diabetes... The biggest factor for it is undoubtedly obesity.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

Again, I have no idea about what IR even is and the difference between it and diabetes; I'm simply stating the fact that diabetes is not caused by high sugar intake.

Again, I have no idea about what IR even is and the difference between it and diabetes; I'm simply stating the fact that diabetes is not caused by high sugar intake.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

Metabolism. 1988 Jul;37(7):656-9. Related Articles, Links 

Hyperandrogenism, insulin resistance, acanthosis nigricans, and systemic lupus erythematosis associated with insulin receptor antibodies.

Kellett HA, Collier A, Taylor R, Sawers JS, Benton C, Doig A, Baird D, Clarke BF.

Diabetic Department, Royal Infirmary, Edinburgh, England.

We report a young woman with systemic lupus erythematosis (SLE) who developed diabetes secondary to extreme insulin resistance, associated with severe hyperandrogenism and acanthosis nigricans. Her insulin resistance was found to be associated with high titers of insulin receptor antibodies. The hyperandrogenism has been favourably influenced by cyclical treatment with cyproterone acetate and ethinyl oestradiol, but the insulin resistance and acanthosis nigricans have remained unmodified after 15 months of follow up.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

I was intrigued by the new thread somebody started recently which cited the study in which milk was found to increase insulin very significantly in young boys.  That's very worrisome to me, if it's true for eveyone in general.

Here's a scan of another fascinating study in a recent issue of a diabetes journal (I post on so many different forums, sometimes I forget WHAT I've posted WHERE...my apologies if I've already posted this link here on this site) which found that 20 grams of apple cider vinegar prior to a high-carb meal increased insulin sensitivity.  Notice the statement near the very end where they say that vinegar _may_ have an effect similar to metformin (Glucophage):

http://www.geocities.com/bryan50001/vinegar_insulin.htm

Bryan