Photo
- - - - -

Help me a long battle

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 clear7777

clear7777

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2004 - 12:02 AM

Hey, I'm 19 and I have brown skin. I have literally been battling with acne since I was like 13 and its not fun. I have spent sooo much money on things to put on my body and I need to try a more wallet friendly approach. Currently I am using retin-A on my face which is working but its expensive so I try to cutback. I have acne on my face, chest and shoulder but whats really bothering me is my back. I have really bad acne and scarring on my back. I went to the doctor and she was basically like dam sorry. Im using Neutrogena Body Wash and that seems to be lessening the acne and makinmy skin smoother, but the scars are killing me. cry.gif I avoid wearing anything revealing cuz I'm really uncomfortable. Not to metion I'm a cheerleader so my top reveals some back and I feel like everyone is staring at me ninja.gif So I'm getting desperate six years of this crap and I just wanna have nice clear skin. So I can be happy and not stressin over what to wear or being afraid to get close to this guy cuz I'm afraid of what his reaction will be. doubt.gif These are the things I have tried already; proactive, phisoderm, benzol peroxide, basically everything sold in you local drug store. So if you can suggest any changes I can make I will greately appreciate it. Thank you

#2 Funk

Funk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2004 - 12:59 PM

Try getting in the tanning booth. Do about 1-2 weeks worth of sessions.

Dont burn ya self tho. dont go the full 20 min your first time. start low and work it up. and cover up your face so you dont look like u just got back from Hawaii.

The tanning booth totaly helps!!!

It drys out acne and it even makes it look better and your skin will look more even. And the results are fast!

When you go to the tanning salon ask for a good body lotion to apply.

#3 Terihe

Terihe

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 09 December 2004 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE(clear7777 @ Dec 8 2004, 10:02 PM)
Hey, I'm 19 and I have brown skin.  I have literally been battling with acne since I was like 13 and its not fun. I have spent sooo much money on things to put on my body and I need to try a more wallet friendly approach. Currently I am using retin-A on my face which is working but its expensive so I try to cutback. I have acne on my face, chest and shoulder but whats really bothering me is my back. I have really bad acne and scarring on my back. I went to the doctor and she was basically like dam sorry. Im using Neutrogena Body Wash and that seems to be lessening the acne and makinmy skin smoother, but the scars are killing me.  cry.gif I avoid wearing anything revealing cuz I'm really uncomfortable. Not to metion I'm a cheerleader so my top reveals some back and I feel like everyone is staring at me ninja.gif So I'm getting desperate six years of this crap and I just wanna have nice clear skin. So I can be happy and not stressin over what to wear or being afraid to get close to this guy cuz I'm afraid of what his reaction will be. doubt.gif These are the things I have tried already; proactive, phisoderm, benzol peroxide, basically everything sold in you local drug store. So if you can suggest any changes I can make I will greately appreciate it. Thank you

View Post

A cheaper approach. Wash with your neutorgena body wash. Get a lotion applicater from walmart if you don't have anybody to help put medications on your back. In the A.M. appyly clearasil acne fighting dual action moisturizer. It comes in a tube and cost's less than $5.oo. In the p.m. put neutrogena skin clearing lotion in the tube. Will exfliate with salacylic as well but also will give you retionol. This has helped me alot and has faded all my acne scars. It sounds harsh but exfliation is the key. If you get irritated start out with just the morning and when aclimated add the evening. Try it for at least 6 weeks. The neutrogena is $10.00 a tube. It lasts a long time.

#4 clear7777

clear7777

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 December 2004 - 12:01 AM

QUOTE(Terihe @ Dec 9 2004, 07:42 PM)
A cheaper approach. Wash with your neutorgena body wash. Get a lotion applicater from walmart if you don't have anybody to help put medications on your back. In the A.M. appyly clearasil acne fighting dual action moisturizer. It comes in a tube and cost's less than $5.oo. In the p.m. put neutrogena skin clearing lotion in the tube. Will exfliate with salacylic as well but also will give you retionol. This has helped me alot and has faded all my acne scars. It sounds harsh but exfliation is the key. If you get irritated start out with just the morning and when aclimated add the evening. Try it for at least 6 weeks. The neutrogena is $10.00 a tube. It lasts a long time.

View Post

Thanks people. I will start working on it right away. Funk, I dont know about the tanning booth cause usually when I get tanned I come out reddish. But I understand how it can help the skin. And thanks Terihe, I was wondering what kind of skin type do you have, cuz my skin is really oily and my scars are really dark. How long did it take for you to see results that you were satisfied with? eusa_think.gif

#5 [flip]

[flip]

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 10 December 2004 - 12:42 AM

Sounds to me like your an applicant for accutane. Maybe you should see a different derm. for a second opinion. Tell the derm. your past med. history and ask about accutane.

#6 clear7777

clear7777

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 December 2004 - 12:46 AM

QUOTE([flip] @ Dec 10 2004, 01:42 AM)
Sounds to me like your an applicant for accutane. Maybe you should see a different derm. for a second opinion. Tell the derm. your past med. history and ask about accutane.

View Post

Is it a topical cream or is it a pill, my moms afraid that if I take pills I will become depressed shock.gif Plus I dont like taking pills, but if it will work . . .the I guess I can try it

#7 Rossignol

Rossignol

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 10 December 2004 - 11:07 AM

Hi,
I am so sorry you are suffering with body acne. I have suffered from severe cystic acne across my back, shoulders, chest and arms for several years, but following a course of accutane and diet changes, along with using better topicals on my skin, I have almost completely cleared up my body acne. I am, however, left with severe scarring. I am pleased at how quickly the redness in the scars is fading, though. I feel that once the redness has faded, I won't be as conscious of it. I imagine this is how you will feel too, so don't despair. There are ways to deal with this. eusa_angel.gif
My tips for you would be:
Diet
- cut out dairy from your diet for a month and see if there is any improvement.
- supplement with 50mg zinc, 2grams vitamin C and a B complex tablet daily.
- Try supplementing acidophilus live bacteria tablets daily, too.
- avoid alcohol and sugary foods, if possible.
- propolis capsules can also give good results if you don't feel you're getting results from the above.

Topicals to use on your skin
Cleanse with a manuka oil soap - the body cleansing soap at living nature.com is excellent.
Apply an antiseptic. The manuka oil and honey antiseptic gel from Living nature (see the link above) is superb, but quite expensive.
Moisturise with Emu oil - this will help with the acne and the scarring.
Use mineral-based makeup from Jane Iredale (see the makeup section of acne.org for more info) - this won't clog your pores and will help cover your acne for when you are cheerleading.

Once weekly, do a lactic acid peel. The one from Puredeming is very good. This will help fade your scarring.
You might also want to use a salicylic acid peel in addition to the lactic acid one on your back, once weekly. Here is a good salicylic product (although again, quite expensive) http://www.loganwood...m?ID=96FAD7B9-3 Salicylic acid helps with acne as well as scarring.

You MAY want to consider going on accutane. This will almost certainly help with the acne, but there is a possibility it may make the scarring worse, so try and exhaust all the other options before going for this.

Also, please check out my thread on body scarring, which is pinned at the top of this forum, It contains some useful links. If you could find a dermatologist in your area who performs smoothbeam or microdermabrasion I think these would help a great deal with your body scarring.

I'm sorry your body scarring is getting you down - it is a lot to deal with at times, and I know how hard it is for you. But try and stay positive - with the right treatment, you will hopefully feel better about your body this time next year. smile.gif

Any questions or if you need to talk, please don't hesitate to PM me.
Take Care,
Paul

#8 Funk

Funk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 103
About Me

Posted 10 December 2004 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE(clear7777 @ Dec 9 2004, 10:46 PM)
Is it a topical cream or is it a pill, my moms afraid that if I take pills I will become depressed shock.gif Plus I dont like taking pills, but if it will work . . .the I guess I can try it

View Post

Dont take Accutane.

#9 Rossignol

Rossignol

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 December 2004 - 01:16 PM

It might be helpful if you added WHY you don't think she should take accutane, Funk. It doesn't really help much when you just make statements like that. neutral.gif
Have you had a bad experience with the drug?

#10 Terihe

Terihe

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 December 2004 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE(clear7777 @ Dec 9 2004, 10:01 PM)
Thanks people. I will start working on it right away. Funk, I dont know about the tanning booth cause usually when I get tanned I come out reddish.  But I understand how it can help the skin. And thanks Terihe, I was wondering what kind of skin type do you have, cuz my skin is really oily and my scars are really dark. How long did it take for you to see results that you were satisfied with? eusa_think.gif

View Post

Clear, I have combination acne prone but my back acne was worse than on my face. The acne disappeared in about a month. It took about 2 months to see really good results on the scars fading. Some are still there but not dark like they were and they are getting better every day. I will have to do this for my life probably. I am 46 years old and still battle with acne. But this treatment is okay and it doesn't break the bank. I don't think I could do the diet thing. This fits my lifestyle better.

#11 Funk

Funk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 December 2004 - 12:47 PM

No I have had no bad experiences with Accutane.

I have never been offa Accutane.

I just don’t think that its that serious for Accutane shes only 19 and I dont know if you are aware of all the serious health risks that are associated with Accutane.
There’s even talk of humans trying to completely ban the drug. shock.gif
Doesn’t shock me at all...Accutane is a very complicated drug with a lot of side affects. Males who are offa Accutane should be especially careful...studys have conducted that it can cause infertility problems for men.

I think accutane is taken way to lightly on this board. just my opinion tho.
But its like... I got some back acne on my back that just started to form...
hmm sounds like a job for accutane. Lmao...I just dont think its that necessary.

#12 vrrrrrrrrg

vrrrrrrrrg

YAY I GOT ACCUTANE!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2004 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE(Funk @ Dec 16 2004, 01:47 PM)
No I have had no bad experiences with Accutane.

I have never been offa Accutane.

I just don’t think that its that serious for Accutane shes only 19 and I dont know if you are aware of all the serious health risks that are associated with Accutane.
There’s even talk of humans trying to completely ban the drug. shock.gif
Doesn’t shock me at all...Accutane is a very complicated drug with a lot of side affects. Males who are offa Accutane should be especially careful...studys have conducted that it can cause infertility problems for men.

I think accutane is taken way to lightly on this board. just my opinion tho.
But its like... I got some back acne on my back that just started to form...
hmm sounds like a job for accutane. Lmao...I just dont think its that necessary.

View Post

I'm considering acutane. I've had pretty bad back acne for almost 6 years. I'm seventeen right now and for the past five years I haven't been able to wear anything but t-shirts. Its getting worse and spreading to my chest and down my back. I've tried everything except changing my diet. I think that she is definately a candidate for acutane just like I am.

#13 clear7777

clear7777

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 December 2004 - 09:02 PM

I don't think I would take accutane, even if it would cure me. I would become paranoid over the side effects. I've been using Neutrogene body wash and retina-a on my lower back and my skin is feeling smoother and I have limited my dairy intake so we will see how that goes.

#14 leet

leet

She dreams in digital....

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 December 2004 - 03:21 PM

I really like Neutrogena body scrub (and a loofa). Worked well for me. I spot treat dark marks with MaMa lotion (mandelic/malic acid)... but right now its too dry out so i stick to the wash... lately i have been using Olay complete body was cause i was getting too dry and itchy. Good luck.